Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zahra Baker (10) murdered by her father and step-mother - remains found more than a month after she was reported missing

Re: Zahra Baker (10) missing from home in Hickory NC

I remember a case where a man did this to his wife, but he got caught due to mail in the wife's pocket or something like that  :?

Either way this is HORRIBLE...I hope they find some evidence to prove or disprove this so they can lock these two cretin away forever!!

pretty hate machine butterflykim's Avatar

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/13/north.carolina.missing.girl/index.html

Search to resume for missing N.C. girl; stepmom in court

Newton, North Carolina (CNN) -- After a brief break, authorities planned to resume searching Wednesday for a 10-year-old North Carolina girl as her stepmother appeared in court on an obstruction of justice charge related to the case. Zahra Clare Baker was reported missing over the weekend, but authorities believe she could have disappeared a month ago. The search lasted until about 3 a.m. Wednesday, according to CNN affiliate WSOC, and authorities plan to continue searching the same area after taking a break for a few hours.

Flanked by two attorneys, Elisa Baker, Zahra's stepmother, wore a bright pink jumpsuit and was handcuffed and chained at her wrist and ankles at her court appearance Wednesday. She was informed of the felony charge against her, which carries a penalty of more than two years in prison upon conviction. Asked if she understood, she affirmed in a low voice. The bond on the obstruction of justice charge is $40,000, in addition to the bond of more than $30,000 she faces on charges unrelated to Zahra's disappearance. Her attorney, Scott Reilly, said he would be filing a motion to get the bond reduced, calling it "excessive." She is next scheduled to have a probable cause hearing on November 3. Reilly told reporters $10,000 is usually a maximum bond for such a charge. He said his client is scared, emotional, upset and worried about her family. Asked what she has said about Zahra, he said he was not at liberty to discuss the girl.

The case is an emotional one for investigators and a high priority, Catawba County District Attorney Jay Gaither Jr., told the assembled reporters, who came from as far away as Australia. "The facts are disturbing as we know them at this point," he said. "... We want the best but we fear the worst." Elisa Baker was charged with obstruction of justice Tuesday after police said she admitted writing a ransom note found at the family's Hickory, North Carolina, home. During the search overnight, Zahra's emotional father, Adam Baker, was on the scene. "He seems concerned," Burke County Sheriff John T. McDevitt said. "But I don't know how sincere his concern is."

Zahra was reported missing about 2 p.m. Saturday. Police have said her father and stepmother reported she was last seen sleeping in her bed about 12 hours earlier, at 2:30 a.m. But Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins said Tuesday authorities have been unable to find anyone outside Zahra's immediate family who has reported seeing her in the past month, and investigators are not sure how long she has actually been missing. He told reporters an Amber Alert issued after the girl was reported missing was being canceled, and the investigation has shifted from a possible abduction into a homicide probe. Investigators were searching where Adam Baker worked north of Hickory, said Nancy Webb, who lives next door to the site, on Tuesday. Adam Baker would help his employer bring piles of wood and brush to the lot, where it was dumped into a wood chipper and turned into mulch, Webb said.
    ·                 &n bsp;       &nbs p;       
    "They've got a lot of lights out back of the house. It looks like they are doing a search around a brush pile, and that's all that I can see from the house here," Webb told HLN's "Nancy Grace." Elisa Baker admitted writing the note Monday night during an interview at the jail where she is being held on charges of writing worthless checks, Adkins said. She then requested a lawyer, he said. Police obtained an arrest warrant for her on the obstruction of justice charge.
    A search warrant application filed in the case said it began with a call about a burning mulch pile at the family's home about 5:30 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters found a Chevrolet Tahoe with its passenger door open and a power company envelope with handwriting on it on the front windshield, the search warrant said.

Firefighters notified police, who approached the SUV and smelled gasoline coming from inside. The note written on the envelope was addressed to a "Mr. Coffey," identified in the search warrant as Adam Baker's boss, Mark David Coffey. "Mr. Coffey, you like being in control now who is in control," the note said, according to the search warrant. "We have your daughter and your pot smoking red head son is next unless you do what is asked 1,000,000 unmarked will be in touch soon." In the bottom right, the note said, "no cops," according to the warrant. Coffey and his only daughter were at the residence at the time of the fire, the warrant said. CNN affiliate News 14 Carolina reported Coffey owns the home.

Adam Baker called police about 2 p.m., saying someone had poured gas in his car and left a note saying they had his boss' daughter, according to the search warrant. Baker told police he believed the person who left the note had kidnapped Zahra. The Bakers consented to a search of their home, the warrant said. A cadaver dog indicated the possible presence of human remains in or on the Chevrolet Tahoe as well as a burgundy Toyota Camry on the property, it said. Authorities were testing swabs taken from the Tahoe to determine if blood was also present, according to the warrant.

Zahra -- a bone cancer survivor, according to CNN affiliate WCNC -- uses a prosthetic leg and hearing aids. The hearing aids have been found, but not the prosthesis, Adkins said. Elisa Baker was arrested Sunday morning on four counts of writing worthless checks, said Eric Farr, a spokesman for the Catawba County district attorney's office. Farr said she faces other charges in different counties, including a felony larceny count and other bad-check charges. She was being held on $31,500 bail.

Adkins said Adam Baker faces similar charges, but police have held off serving an arrest warrant while he cooperates with investigators. And police said in a statement they are "working several leads, specifically addressing Zahra's life before she disappeared." Brittany Bentley, who is married to Elisa Baker's nephew, told HLN that the girl "wasn't in very good living conditions, not at all for a 10-year-old." "I remember Elisa coming out of the bedroom one day, saying her hands hurt from spanking Zahra so much," she said. "I know she spanked way too hard, what I consider beating." She said the girl was locked in her room and "I know about letting her out five minutes, just to eat and that was it." North Carolina social services officials declined to comment on the case.
    One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Another...

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25368912/...32010&ts=H
    Candlelight Vigil Scheduled For Missing Girl

HICKORY, N.C. -- A candlelight vigil has been scheduled for a girl who went missing nearly four days ago. The public vigil for 10-year-old Zahra Baker is expected to take place Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at East Hickory Baptist Church on 16th Street, Southeast in Hickory. Police searched a wooded area throughout the night Tuesday and into Wednesday for the girl who has been missing since Saturday morning. The wooded area is dozens of miles from where Zahra Baker Zahra Baker was last seen. The scene is down a dead end dirt road off of Hartland Road, north of Morganton, where police spent more than seven hours looking for clues around a wood chipper and in mulch piles.
    Then around 5:30 p.m. searchers came back out to the area. About 50 people, including the FBI, Hickory Police and Burke County Sheriff's Office responded to the scene. They're focusing their investigation on a mound of debris on the property. Heavy equipment and flood lights were brought out to remove the heavy brush and debris. Police were there all night long in what they described as a "painstaking process" of looking for evidence in the mound. The Burke County Sheriff told Eyewitness News just before 11 p.m. that information keeps leading them to that spot, but there's no proof yet if they're in the right place.

Zahra's father was out at the scene Tuesday night, but the Sheriff also told Eyewitness News that he thinks the father isn't being "cooperative" or "sincere."

Alvin Zero Webb lives near the area where authorities are searching and told Channel 9 that deputies visited his home on Monday. "I'm worried. I'm worried if she's ok or not," he said. Law enforcement sources tells Eyewitness News Zahra's father, Adam Baker, worked in the tree trimming business and had access to the equipment on the property. Deputies say cadaver dogs hit on the equipment and the mulch leading to the intensive search Monday. "They were looking for blood," Webb said. Channel 9 asked "Is that what they told you?" "Yes in a round about way yes," he said.
    Police said that Zahra's father is with police on the scene as they search for his daughter. The Hickory police chief spoke for only a few minutes on Tuesday, but his words carried the greatest impact so far in the case of the missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker.

What started off as a missing persons case has now turned into a homicide investigation. Choking back his emotions, Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins, made the difficult announcement: "The Amber Alert for Zahra Baker will be canceled today. And the decision to focus this case from a missing child will turn into a homicide investigation."

An hour later, Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker, with her head down, appeared before a magistrate, charged with obstruction of justice. Police said Baker is the one who wrote the ransom note found at the family’s home the day Zahra disappeared. Channel 9 has learned Elisa Baker called attorney Scott Riley after being interviewed by police. "I spoke to her at 3 a.m. this morning. I went to see her at 7:30 a.m. this morning. She still hadn't had any sleep. She's very emotional, very upset,” Riley said. Riley told Channel 9 that Baker claims she had no involvement in Zahra's disappearance, but police say outside immediate family no one has seen the 10-year-old for a month.

As each day passes, police become more and more concerned about the outcome of the case. "We understand the public wants to help to find Zahra and wants to form search teams to find her. The problem is we cannot confirm with any confidence how long Zahra has been missing," Adkins said. Baker's bond has been increased by $40,000. She will appear before a judge Wednesday. Channel 9 has also learned of a piece of farm equipment that the father used is the focus of police investigators Tuesday.

I’m FUMING mad right now. She could’ve possibly been killed for as long as a month. Initially, I only suspected the POS step-mother. Now, I’m starting to suspect the father too. Zahra is/was such a beautiful little girl with such a beautiful soul. She’s a fighter and it’s a damn shame that all of this is going on. I hope they miraculously find her alive and well. If they do not, which sounds more than likely the terrible outcome of this, I hope she didn’t suffer long.  

This kid was abused for a long time. Both parents were obviously a party to it. Being blood doesn't mean you give a fuck.

The thing is, people are all going to blame CPS but the truth is, CPS is horribly understaffed and underfunded. There are way more sick fucks out there abusing children than people signing up to be a social worker. Two of my good friends are social workers and both are working an insane case load with kids they are totally unprepared to handle. One of them, who has her masters, calls me crying once a week to say she doesn't think she can do this.

This case makes me sad. I hope they find her or  can find enough evidence to convict the stepmom and/or the dad.

Whoever hurt this baby deserves lingchi.  :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_slicing

http://www.wcnc.com/news/Police-return-to-Burke-County-search-site-104880109.html

BURKE COUNTY, N.C. – Late Wednesday afternoon, firetrucks arrived at an area that police and canine units have been searching in connection with the disappearance of Zahra Baker. Crews unrolled hoses and started draining a pond on the property they've been searching for the past two days.

Hickory police say officers, search dogs involved in previous efforts and additional search dogs returned to and expanded the search area on Wednesday afternoon.

Tuesday, they focused investigation efforts on one area, near a brush pile.

Burke County Sheriff John McDevitt said approximately 50 investigators were on scene Tuesday, watching as a backhoe cleared brush.

The land searched belongs to the family of a foreman at the tree trimming company where Zahra's father, Adam, works. It is an area where mulch, wood chips, and heavy equipment are all stored.

Bobby Green, a former employee of the company, says Baker would have had access there.

Alvin Webb, who lives next door, told NewsChannel 36 a deputy told him a cadaver dog smelled human remains on a mulch pile and on a wood chipper on the property. McDevitt said Tuesday night there have been "many hits" but none that he would call conclusive.

This is not the only area police are investigating.  Officers say they have investigators checking into different addresses where the Baker's have lived as well as officers searching in two other counties. A number of leads have been called in, and officers say they're following up on every tip.

Olivia

Cry me a river bitch.

THE US stepmother of missing Australian 10-year-old Zahra Baker appeared in court overnight to face charges related to a bogus $1 million ransom note.

Elisa Baker, 42, was charged with obstruction of justice after she allegedly admitted to writing a fake ransom note demanding $US1 million.

She walked into the courtroom wearing a pink prison jumpsuit, with her arms and legs shackled.

One of Ms Baker’s lawyers, Scott Reilly, said she was upset about being in jail and away from her family, The Hickory Daily Record reports.

"She’s scared to death," Mr Reilly said. "She’s emotional."

Mr Reilly said he planned to file a motion for bond reduction.

“Forty thousand (dollars) is in far excess for this charge,” he said, according to The Hickory Daily Record.

Zahra, who has twice beaten cancer, is hearing impaired and an amputee, was reported missing last Saturday by Ms Baker and Zahra’s father, Adam Baker.

But police said no one apart from her father and stepmother could confirm having seen Zahra in the past month.

On Sunday, Ms Baker was arrested on nine unrelated charges to Zahra and, during a police interview, allegedly admitted to leaving a ransom note on one of the Bakers’ cars.

The note read: “Mr Coffey, you like being in control now who is in control we have your daughter.”

Mr Coffey was identified as Adam Baker’s boss.

Earlier this week, the head of North Carolina’s Hickory Police Department choked back tears as he announced at a press conference that police were now treating the case as a murder investigation.

Overnight, searchers continued to look for the 10-year-old, working under floodlights late into the night.

The focus of the search had switched to a wooded property north of Morganton, North Carolina. Local residents told reporters Tuesday that search dogs have picked up the scent of blood at the site.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/missing-zahra-bakers-stepmum-in-court-over-1-ransom-note-as-search-continues/story-e6frfkyi-1225938474279#ixzz12HmthoAc

I was on FB and Nancy Grace's said they're draining a pond to look for Zahra.

did I miss what happened to her birth mom?

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27381.msg1737073#msg1737073 date=1287020500]
    [/quote]

I have been waiting to see something, but I haven't seen any articles about her, yet.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27381.msg1737073#msg1737073 date=1287020500]
    [/quote]
    She lives in Australia.  
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=27381.msg1737077#msg1737077 date=1287020718]
    She lives in Australia.  
    [/quote]

I read that part, but has there been any kind of comment from her?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=27381.msg1737077#msg1737077 date=1287020718]
    She lives in Australia.  
    [/quote]
    was she just on holiday visiting her dad? Does Australia have universal health care? Wouldn't she be getting treated out there?

This is the only thing I've seen.  So I may have been jumping to conclusions about Mom being in Australia "Adam Baker was from Australia, and met his current wife over the Internet, Stapleton said. Zahra's mother lives outside the U.S."
    http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13303847
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Olivia

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=27381.msg1735660#msg1735660 date=1286919029]

After being born in Wagga Wagga and spending her early life in Newcastle, Zahra and her family moved to Townsville where Zahra, described by her grandmother Karen Baker as handling "everything with a smile", attended a Camp Quality weekend for sick children.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/fbi-hunt-for-missing-australian-girl-zahra-baker/story-e6frfkyi-1225937873915#ixzz12BMdOp7S

[/quote]

It is strange that the mother hasn't been spoken about.  I am guessing that Karen Baker is Zahra's paternal grandmother?

Olivia

Solved.

Zahra's mother lives in Australia but is believed not to have had any contact with her daughter since Zahra was a baby.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/suspicion-falls-on-stepmother-as-police-declare-case-a-murder-20101013-16k3y.html

Man, this poor, poor kid.

HICKORY --

More than 250 people showed up at a vigil for Zahra Clare Baker Wednesday night. Some came with hope that she would be found alive by searchers. Some came because they wanted to support the community. Others came to pray.

Many wondered why a 10-year-old girl with a smile so bright could have harm done to her.

“She always had a smile on her face, and that’s the best thing about her,” said Cynthia McCurry, 11.

Zahra was first reported missing at 2 p.m. Saturday, although Hickory police suspect she may have been missing longer than that. No one other than family has seen Zahra in a month.

On Sunday, Zahra’s stepmother, Elisa Baker, 42, was arrested on nine unrelated charges to Zahra’s disappearance. Hickory police interviewed Baker on Tuesday, and she admitted writing the ransom note found on one of the Bakers’ car, demanding $1 million. She has since been arrested for obstruction of justice and had her first court appearance on the charge. Law enforcement is still searching for Zahra.

East Hickory Baptist Church held the vigil for Zahra because they realized the community needed it. The church’s deacons decided to hold a prayer vigil for her.

“We’ve had people calling the church and asking for directions all day,” said Brian Gragg, a deacon at the church. “This story has touched everybody’s hearts.”

He said he hoped the vigil helps people realize that God loves them.

“And it would be great if Zahra is found alive,” Gragg said. “It’s just a sad story, but we have hope.”

East Hickory Baptist Church held the vigil next to its playground for symbolic reasons, said church member David King.

“Ten-year-old life should be about fun, playing and having a good time,” he said.

Ragan Martin decided to come to the vigil because she’s followed the news about Zahra.

“I felt compelled to come,” she said. “Everybody should really be paying attention to their children. When they see violence, they should speak up.”

With Martin was Serenity Bapties, 14. She said she came because the disappearance affected her.

“I felt like I should,” she said. “It’s different that it happened so close to home.”

During the vigil, East Hickory Baptist’s minister offered prayer as well as words of support. Many at the vigil wiped away tears as they sang “Amazing Grace.”

Several people in the crowd implored that others love their own children and remember how special they are. Others encouraged people to speak out if they heard or saw something happen to someone in the community that was wrong.

“It’s been assumed that something’s happened to Zahra. If that’s true, they’ll have to deal with that,” Gragg said. “If they don’t confess, they will have to stand before God one day. The same one that said ‘do not kill’ also said ‘do not lie.’”

A family friend of the Bakers was also at the vigil.

“The family tried, they did honestly try to get help,” said Lindsey Parker, a friend of Zahra’s sister. “DSS was called three times.”

Also at the vigil were people who had family members who had been murdered. They wanted those in Catawba County to know that support was there, if needed.

“She’d already beat cancer, one of the worst things in life,” said Dwayne Baker, father to 19-year-old Travis, who was missing for two years and found dead in June 2009.

Dwayne was ready to support any searches for Zahra, or to support her family members. Dwayne said he knows first hand what it’s like when a child is missing, and can help Zahra’s family members get through it.

Most at the vigil were hoping for a positive outcome in law enforcement’s search for Zahra.

“It’s just sad. I just hope they find her and she’s alive,” said Jeanette Surratt. “If not, then she’s gone to a better place than we are in.”

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/13/vigil-held-zahra-ar-455924/
    I won't feel sorry for me, I'm getting drunk
    But I'd much rather be somewhere with you

Zahra's stepbrother releases statement, asks for prayers

Dear everyone,

I would first like to personally thank all those who have and are continuing to helping locate Zahra Baker and i ask that everyone continue to please support my family during this difficult time.

Due to the fact i am still gathering facts right now i am unable to make any comment on anything regarding Zahra Baker as well as my mother Elisa Baker. I would also like to ask that everyone please respect my families privacy during this difficult and stressful time.

Once all the facts have been gathered i will issue another statement but until then i will refrain from saying anything else. Once again please keep Zahra Baker in your prayers and thanks to everyone who is helping.

Sincerely,
    Douglas Proctor

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13318660
    I won't feel sorry for me, I'm getting drunk
    But I'd much rather be somewhere with you

Douglas Proctor:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...p?id=505381090

He's in school to be a cop.  I was wondering why his statement sounded so "professional".
    Lurker checking in.

[quote author=YayMe link=topic=27381.msg1737292#msg1737292 date=1287041399]
    Douglas Proctor:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...p?id=505381090

He's in school to be a cop.  I was wondering why his statement sounded so "professional".
    [/quote]
    You may be too young to remember, but there was a time when people consulted attorneys before sending out tweets as official statements.
    Most people addressing the media have someone proof them.

What gets me about this vigil, etc. is that (I honestly believe the poor child is dead) she gets MORE attention NOW that she is gone than when she was here and needed it!! 

http://www.wcnc.com/home/Police-return-to-Burke-County-search-site-104880109.html

Crews search pond for Zahra Baker, come up empty

BURKE COUNTY, N.C. -- Late Wednesday afternoon, firetrucks arrived at an area that police and canine units have been searching in connection with the disappearance of Zahra Baker. Crews unrolled hoses and started draining a pond on the property they've been searching for the past two days.

Hickory police say officers, search dogs involved in previous efforts and additional search dogs returned to and expanded the search area on Wednesday afternoon. But nearly five hours later, with the pond empty, police were still left trying to figure out where Zhara Baker is. Tuesday, they focused investigation efforts on one area, near a brush pile.

Burke County Sheriff John McDevitt said approximately 50 investigators were on scene Tuesday, watching as a backhoe cleared brush. The land searched belongs to the family of a foreman at the tree trimming company where Zahra's father, Adam, works. It is an area where mulch, wood chips, and heavy equipment are all stored. Bobby Green, a former employee of the company, says Baker would have had access there.

Alvin Webb, who lives next door, told NewsChannel 36 a deputy told him a cadaver dog smelled human remains on a mulch pile and on a wood chipper on the property. McDevitt said Tuesday night there have been "many hits" but none that he would call conclusive.

This is not the only area police are investigating.  Officers say they have investigators checking into different addresses where the Baker's have lived as well as officers searching in two other counties. A number of leads have been called in, and officers say they're following up on every tip.

http://www.wcnc.com/home/Elisa-Bakers-son-speaks-out-at-vigil-for-missing-Zahra--104914834.html

Elisa Baker's son speaks out at vigil for missing Zahra

HICKORY, N.C. -- Zahra Baker's stepbrother made his first public statements Tuesday to a crowd of reporters at a candlelight vigil for his missing stepsister. Douglas Proctor, the 22-year-old son of Elisa Baker, would not answer questions about charges against his mother, the ongoing homicide investigation, or allegations that Elisa Baker abused Zahra.

"I can't really comment right now what's going on because I am still learning everything and it's a private matter right now between myself and my family," he said. "To all the people who helped us come out and look the other day, to all the messages that we've received, all the phone calls -- it's not gone unnoticed."

He also thanked law enforcement officers investigating the case. "I just want everyone to know that we really appreciate everything and that we're not going to stop looking for Zahra. We'll go as long as it takes." On Zahra, he said, "I think it would make her happy to see all this, but with that in mind, until anything changes, or we get any more facts, I am not really going to make any more statements."

Proctor personally thanked the pastor of East Hickory Baptist Church where about 300 people gathered on the lawn to pray for Zahra Baker Wednesday evening. Most people who attended -- many with children -- said they were strangers who'd been touched by the news of her disappearance.

"She lost a leg to cancer. She survived cancer twice," explained a tearful Teresa Brittain, who said she is currently having chemotherapy for cancer. "She was 10 years old. She had her life ahead of her, and we don't even know if it's taken away from her."

Debbie Fogle, whose son was murdered, urged the community to stand-in for Zahra's parents as this investigation unfolds. "This case is different. So I think as a community we need to rally around the child." Lindsey Parker, a friend of Elisa Baker's biological daughter Brittany, took the microphone to tell the crowd that Brittany had often fought with her mother over Zahra.  She and other friends said the Department of Social Services was contacted.

"She was -- she is -- an absolutely beautiful child. And we don't know anything until she's found or she's found safe, and I pray that she's found safe," said another friend, Milly Humphrey. 

:-( My heart breaks for this child. I just cant understand this
    Its not easy to hide all this damage inside ~ Aaron Lewis

Thread Information