Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Zahra Baker (10) murdered by her father and step-mother - remains found more than a month after she was reported missing

Zahra Baker (10) missing from home in Hickory NC

Investigators pleaded Monday for swift public help in reconstructing events leading to the disappearance of a 10-year-old Hickory, North Carolina, girl after casting doubt on her stepmother's story.

"We are running out of time, folks," Police Chief Tom Adkins told reporters Monday afternoon. "The longer this thing goes, the likelihood [is] that this outcome will not be positive."

Zahra Clare Baker was last seen sleeping in her bedroom about 2:30 a.m. Saturday, according to Hickory police. She was reported missing about 2 p.m. Saturday by her father, Adam Baker, and stepmother, Elisa Baker.

Adam Baker is cooperating with investigators, Adkins said. But Elisa Baker has been jailed on an outstanding warrant for a bad-check charge, prosecutors said, and Adkins said unspecified "inconsistencies" in her statement "has led us to believe that she has not been truthful to us."

"At this point in the investigation, we are having a very difficult time establishing a true timeline," Adkins said. "We are looking for the public to help us. We need teachers. We need doctors. We need store clerks. We need anyone who has seen this girl in the last week, the last month. Anything they feel is important for us to know, we need the public to call us."
    Video: Parents questioned in case

Adkins told reporters earlier Monday that it is unlikely Zahra had run away, and police said over the weekend that the possibility that she was abducted by a stranger was "less likely than once anticipated." A ransom note was found at the house, Adkins said Monday afternoon, but "We are questioning the validity of that note."

Zahra is described as being about 5 feet 1 inch tall and weighing 85 pounds. She has brown hair and blue eyes, and according to CNN affiliate WCNC, she's a cancer survivor.

The girl uses a prosthetic leg and hearing aids. The hearing aids have been found, but not the prosthesis, Adkins said.

Elisa Baker was arrested Sunday morning on four counts of writing worthless checks, said Eric Farr, a spokesman for the Catawba County District Attorney's office. No attorney was listed in court papers, he said.

Farr said she faces other charges in different counties, including a felony larceny count and other bad-check charges. She is being held on $31,500 bail.

Adkins said Adam Baker faces similar charges, but police have held off serving an arrest warrant while he cooperates with police.

Adkins said Sunday that a small fire had been reported at the residence the morning Zahra is thought to have vanished. He said "some evidence" was recovered from the scene, but would not elaborate on what connection the fire may have with the investigation.

The FBI is assisting Hickory police in the investigation, officials said. Authorities ask anyone with information to contact the Hickory Police Department.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/11/north.carolina.missing.girl/index.html?hpt=T1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Re: Zahra Baker (10) missing from home in Hickory NC

Why was she not reported missing until 2 PM? Didn't they notice she wasn't there before that?
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=27381.msg1735060#msg1735060 date=1286861838]
    Why was she not reported missing until 2 PM? Didn't they notice she wasn't there before that?
    [/quote]
    They were busy [s]burning evidence[/s] looking for her.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

5'1 and 85 pounds? Has anyone checked any cracks in the floor, she might have slipped through one of those.

Zahra Baker Case: Police Doubt $1M Ransom Note in Disabled Girl's Disappearance

Police revealed new twists in the investigation of missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker today, including the existence of a $1 million ransom note, positive dog alerts for human remains in cars belonging to both of her parents, and doubts about the parents' timeline dating back as far as a month.

The little girl who lost her hearing and her left leg in a childhood battle with cancer was reported missing from her Hickory, N.C., home Saturday afternoon.

Her stopmother, Elisa Baker, has been arrested on charges unrelated to the girl's disappearance.

Former neighbors of the Bakers in Sawmills, N.C., described a troubled relationship between Elisa and Zahra Baker, though they described Zahra as a "normal, happy 10-year-old" with good manners who played well with neighboring children.

Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins appealed for anyone who has seen the little girl in the last month to step forward, saying that the parents' timeline of events had "inconsistencies." Because the girl was homeschooled, police said they're having trouble contacting anyone other than her parents who saw her recently.

"At this point in the investigation, we are having a very difficult time establishing a true timeline," Adkins said. "We are running out of time, folks. The longer this thing goes, the likelihood this outcome will not be positive. So we need help. ... This is going all over the place.

"We need teachers, we need doctors, we need store clerks. We need anyone that has seen this girl in the last week, in the last month, anything that they feel is important for us to know," he said.

Search warrants for the Bakers' two cars and home contained confounding details, including the discovery of a $1 million ransom note left on one of the family's two vehicles. The note, however, was not addressed to Zahra's parents, but to her father's boss, Mark David Coffey.

"Mr. Coffey, you like being in control who is in control now we have your daughter and your pot smoking red head son is next unless you do what is asked 1,000,000 unmarked will be in touch soon [sic]," read handwriting on the note, according to the warrant.

"No cops" was also written twice on the note.

Coffey reportedly owns the property on which the Bakers live and was present the day Zahra was reported missing.

The ransom note was discovered on the windshield of Baker's car by officers responding to a fire in the Baker's backyard about 5:30 a.m. However, it wasn't until 2 p.m. that Baker called police to report Zahra missing.

The father told police that someone had poured gasoline in his car during the night and left the ransom note, and that he believes his daughter was taken by whoever threatened Coffey.

Adkins said the police are "questioning the validity of that note" and have received no further demands.

The warrant also revealed that a search dog gave a "positive alert for the presence of human remains in or on both vehicles" belonging to Elisa and Adam Baker.

Investigators seized several items from the Baker home, including two gas cans, burn samples from the morning fire and drug paraphernalia, the warrant states. Two samples of "possible blood" were taken from one of the cars, according to a warrant.

This morning, Adam Baker told "Good Morning America" the girl's stepmother may have been involved in the girl's disappearance.
    Elisa Baker was arrested over the weekend on several charges unrelated to her stepdaughter's disappearance. Police said that no one, including Elisa or Adam Baker, has been ruled out as a person of interest in the case.

When asked if he believed his wife was involved in Zahra's disappearance, Baker today said, "I wouldn't like to think so. It's kind of what I've heard so far. It could be possible."

Zahra had attended a local elementary school for fourth grade, but did not report to school this year. Instead, the school received a call and was told the child would be homeschooled this year, a Caldwell School District official told ABC News.

Elisa Baker has "submitted to initial interviews," Adkins said today in a news conference.

"Just the way she yelled and screamed at her, and I did see her hit the child a couple of times," said one former neighbor, Renee Bobbitt, who claimed Zahra once was sent to school with black eyes.

"I should have called and said something then," Bobbitt added. "I wish I had've a million times, because no child deserves anything like this. And it's really got the whole neighborhood upset because we all loved the child. She would play with our kids and she was just the normal, happy 10-year-old. And it's just unreal what was going on."

Kayla Rotenberry, who lived next to the Bakers for about a year in Sawmills, said Elisa Baker would force Zahra to walk long distances on her prosthetic leg, threatening punishment if she slowed down.

As for Zahra, Rotenberry said, she "was the best young'un you could ever ask for."

"She had perfect manners," she told reporters. "I mean, she used to come to my house and play with my girls. She was a great kid."

Rotenberry's fiance, Bobby Green, said he sensed Elisa Baker "was jealous of Zahra because she got more attention from Adam, her dad, than Elisa did."

Adam Baker said that because of his work schedule he hadn't seen his daughter since Thursday night.

Adam Baker said he was dealing with firefighters during the fire Saturday morning and did not know Zahra was missing until Elisa Baker came to him in a panic later. Zahra was gone with her prosthetic leg, but her hearing aid remained.

"She didn't know very much. She came out crying and panicking. She told me Zahra was gone," Baker told "GMA." Baker said he searched the house and then the block before calling the police.

"I think just about every officer in Hickory came to the house," the father said before getting overcome with emotion. "I just hope I can get my daughter back. I miss her so much."

Since Zahra was homeschooled, police are depending on interviews with neighbors and surveillance footage from local businesses in order orroborate the Bakers' timeline of events, police said. They're also trying to work up what "Zahra's life looked like before her disappearance."

"We think it's an important part of the investigation," Adkins said.

Elisa Baker has been arrested on charges of making threats, writing bad checks, larceny and driving with a revoked driver's license, according to The Associated Press. She is being held on $31,500 bond.

Police issued an Amber Alert Saturday and, along with the FBI and U.S. Marshals, have been searching the neighborhood and surrounding woods.

"Obviously, the longer that we go without knowing where she is, the less of a chance she's going to have to survive," Hickory police officer Cory Smith told "GMA" Sunday. "So we need to do all we can to find her as soon as possible."

Other Hickory residents told "GMA" the family was new to the small neighborhood. Over the weekend, a boy asked police the question that had been on everyone's mind.

"How'd she get lost?" the boy said looking up at a police officer.

"We don't know, buddy. That's what we're trying to find out," the police officer told him.

Zahra's case marks the second time in recent months that a stepmother has come under scrutiny over the disappearance of a child in her custody.

In June, 7-year-old Kyron Horman vanished from his Oregon school. A massive search for the boy failed to find him, and his father and the boy's mother have accused stepmom Terri Horman of being involved in his disappearance. Terri Horman has not been charged in connection with Kyron's disappearance.

The Hickory Police department requests that anyone with information regarding the case call the station at (828) 328-5551.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/zahra-baker-search-ransom-note-lack-witnesses-strain/story?id=11848643&page=3
    I won't feel sorry for me, I'm getting drunk
    But I'd much rather be somewhere with you

This one is not looking good.  The first thing I noticed is that Elisa Baker is Zahara's stepmom and she's not cooperating with police but the father, Adam, is (gave me Kyron Horman chills).

Stepmom Elisa's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/gothicfairy6668

Then.. the Baker family had lived in the house for 6 weeks and neighbors didn't even know a little girl lived there.

Then.. former neighbors reported having seen bruises on Zahra in the past; and having seen stepmom Elisa's hand swollen and red.  They also reported that Elisa had claimed in the past that she wrote songs for American Idol winner Chris Daughtry.

Then.. the fire at the house at 5 am was in a mulch pile, along with gasoline poured in the Baker family's SUV.

Then.. cadaver dogs alerted to human remains having been in the SUV, along with the family's other car.

Then.. a ransom note addressed to Adam Baker's boss was found in the SUV.

This poor girl had already survived cancer, which took her leg and her hearing.  Her birth mother is in Australia (where she and her dad are from).  She is either missing without her hearing aids, which must be terrifying, or dead somewhere.

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13303847

HICKORY, N.C. (AP) - Investigators cast doubt Monday on accounts given by the father and stepmother of a missing 10-year-old whose battles with bone cancer left her with a prosthetic leg and hearing aids in both ears.

A search warrant revealed Monday that police dogs had detected the smell of human remains on cars belonging to the couple. Hours earlier, the police chief said investigators were having trouble finding anyone outside the household who had seen Zahra Clare Baker alive in the last few weeks.

The warrant filed in a Hickory court didn't indicate that police found any remains in their search Sunday. It said the dogs detected the smell on a sedan and SUV.

The couple had told police they discovered the girl was missing on Saturday and that one of them had seen her sleeping in her room hours earlier. Yet Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins said investigators were having difficulty with that account.

"We don't know the last time anyone saw her," he said an afternoon news conference. "We're having a difficult time establishing a true timeline."

When the search warrant was filed hours later, police declined to comment further but said Adkins would issue a statement Tuesday morning.

Zahra's father, Adam Baker, said during a morning TV interview that it was possible his wife could be involved in the disappearance, which was reported after a fire in the home's yard. Elisa Baker was arrested Sunday on about a dozen charges unrelated to the girl's disappearance.

Adkins said the father was cooperating with police, but Elisa Baker wasn't.

A reporter saw what appeared to be remnants of clothes among burned branches from the fire at the house.

The search warrant said that police responding to the fire early Saturday found what appeared to be a ransom note addressed to Adam Baker's boss on the windshield of Baker's car. Police went to that man's house, and found him and his daughter to be fine.

"Mr. Coffey, you like being in control now who is in control we have your daughter," the warrant quoted the note as saying. It asked for $1 million dollars and said "no cops."

On Saturday afternoon, Adam Baker called to say his daughter was missing.

Zahra was described by family friends as shy but constantly smiling, in spite of her health problems. The stepmother could be short-tempered toward her, two former neighbors said, but the woman also fought tears when a charity fitted her for hearing aids a few months ago.

"I just hope I can get my daughter back. I miss her so much," Zahra's father, Adam Baker, told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Monday.

The girl's stepmother told her husband she last saw Zahra sleeping in her bed at 2:30 a.m. Saturday, about 2 1/2 hours before the fire was reported. Adam Baker said he was panicked after the fire, but didn't immediately check on his daughter.

The police chief said he wouldn't rule out any suspects, including Adam Baker.

Adam Baker was asked if he thought his wife was involved and said, "I wouldn't like to think so. On what I've heard so far, it could be possible."

On Monday, several of Adam Baker's friends stood outside his one-story house in Hickory, a city of 40,000 residents about 50 miles northwest of Charlotte.

"I just don't have a good feeling about this," said former neighbor Kayla Rotenberry. "She was such a sweet girl. This is just a nightmare."

Rotenberry said she and her fiance were good friends with the Bakers when they lived in the nearby town of Sawmills, and saw Zahra often. The couple was skeptical of the girl's stepmother, in part because she claimed to write songs for musician and "American Idol" finalist Chris Daughtry, and told other far-fetched stories, Rotenberry said. Daughtry's manager said he was unaware of any connection between Elisa Baker and the singer.

"We just got to the point where we didn't believe her. We knew they were lies," said Rotenberry, 23.

The stepmother also had a short temper, Rotenberry said.

Rotenberry said about six months ago she noticed that Elisa Baker's hand was swollen. "She told me that she was trying to spank Zahra, but hit her on her prosthetic leg," she said. "When Adam asked her about the injury, she said she fell and hurt her hand. She didn't want him to know. She knew he would be mad."

Another former neighbor, Brandy Stapleton, 22, of Lenoir, said that Elisa Baker told her the same story about how she injured her hand. "She wasn't the person everyone thought she was."

Adam Baker was from Australia, and met his current wife over the Internet, Stapleton said. Zahra's mother lives outside the U.S.

Zahra had two hearing aids, which were left at the house, and a prosthetic left leg from the knee down, police said. She was being home-schooled, but had attended public schools in the past.

The child had lost part of her hearing during chemotherapy for two bouts of cancer, her stepmother told the Independent-Tribune of Concord-Kannapolis in May during a charity event where she got free hearing aids.

Family friends said the girl also had the prosthetic leg because of cancer.

Elisa Baker was arrested Sunday on charges including communicating threats, writing worthless checks, larceny and driving with a revoked license. It was unclear whether she has an attorney.

She has two daughters and a son from a previous marriage. The mother and son don't have much of a relationship, the man said, after he stayed with his father when they divorced. The daughters went to live with their mother.

Still, 22-year-old Douglas Proctor said he had spoken to investigators about his mother and was dismayed over news of the case.

"It's not something that you want to open up a paper and see," he said, adding he'd met Zahra only once.

A nap is only nice when it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Oops; guess I was working on that at the same time as rachy.
    A nap is only nice when it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Zahra

the stepmom

[quote author=azkarisma link=topic=27381.msg1735168#msg1735168 date=1286872658]
    Oops; guess I was working on that at the same time as rachy.
    [/quote]

it's okay you had a story article then me,i can't believe she claimed to write songs with chris daughtry what a crazy lady

"Just the way she yelled and screamed at her, and I did see her hit the child a couple of times," said one former neighbor, Renee Bobbitt, who claimed Zahra once was sent to school with black eyes.

"I should have called and said something then," Bobbitt added. "I wish I had've a million times, because no child deserves anything like this. And it's really got the whole neighborhood upset because we all loved the child. She would play with our kids and she was just the normal, happy 10-year-old. And it's just unreal what was going on."

Ermmm, why did the neighbour not report this? I can kinda understand not wanting to get involved but when you see a child being sent to school with black eyes, questions need to be asked. I wonder if anyone at the school reported it and if not, why not?

Sounds like this little girl has been through so much and it doesn't look like it's going to have a happy ending.

pretty hate machine butterflykim's Avatar

Local news are reporting that this is now considered a homicide case. :(
    One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

The search for a 10-year-old cancer survivor has turned into a homicide investigation.

Zahra Baker was reported missing on Saturday.

Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins was emotional Tuesday morning when he announced the change in status of the case.

Adkins said that on Monday night Zahra’s stepmother, Elisa Baker, admitted to writing a ransom note that was found on the family’s property and was charged with felony obstruction of justice.

Police have had trouble establishing a timeline for the case.  Only Zahra’s father, Adam Baker, and stepmother report having seen the girl in the past month.

Adam Baker told police he last saw his daughter Thursday night.  Elisa Baker reported seeing Zahra sleeping in her bed around 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

According to the search warrant, police were called to the Baker home early Saturday morning to investigate a mulch fire and gas poured inside an SUV. Officers found a ransom note on the SUV, written to a "Mr. Coffey," a man identified as Adam Baker's boss. That is the note Elisa Baker has since admitted to writing.

Adam Baker called police again hours later, to report his daughter missing.

Elisa Baker was arrested on Sunday, on charges unrelated to Zahra’s disappearance. After admitting to writing the ransom note, she requested an attorney.

The search warrant, which was released on Monday, also revealed that cadaver dogs had positive hits for human remains in two vehicles at the Baker’s home and that blood was recovered from the area.

On Monday police said that anything was possible in the case, but that it was unlikely Zahra had run away.  As a result of her battle with cancer Zahra had a prosthetic lower left leg, and was hearing impaired in both ears. Police said both hearing aids were still in the home when they searched it Saturday, but the prosthetic leg was not.
    http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Zahra-Baker-case-now-a-homicide-investigation-104779089.html

I was just about to post this. The stepmother admitting to writing the ransom note.

Another article from CNN.. http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/12/north.carolina.missing.girl/index.html?hpt=T2

No one outside the family had seen her in a month. This is so sad..  :-(

-- The stepmother of a missing 10-year-old North Carolina girl has admitted writing a ransom note found at the family's home, authorities said Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Hickory, North Carolina, Police Chief Tom Adkins said investigators have been unable to find anyone outside Zahra Clare Baker's immediate family who has seen her in the last month.

"We cannot confirm with any confidence how long Zahra has been missing," he said.

The investigation has shifted from a possible abduction into a homicide probe, he said, and an Amber Alert issued for the girl on Saturday will be canceled.

Elisa Baker, Zahra's stepmother, made the admission in an interview Monday night at the detention center where she is held on charges unrelated to Zahra's disappearance, Adkins told reporters. She then requested an attorney, he said.

Police have obtained an arrest warrant for Elisa Baker on a felony charge of obstruction of justice, Adkins said.

The chief said residents want to form search teams to look for Zahra, but said since police do not know when the child disappeared, they cannot select an area to search.

Adkins asked for anyone who has seen Zahra in the last month to come forward. Investigators have learned that an inspection may have been scheduled at the home, and are interested in speaking with the inspector, he said.

Zahra was reported missing about 2 p.m. Saturday. Police have said her father, Adam Baker, and stepmother reported she was last seen sleeping in her bed about 12 hours earlier, at 2:30 a.m.

According to a search warrant filed in the case, firefighters responded to a "fire on a mulch pile" at the home about 5:30 a.m. Saturday. Adkins said "some evidence" was recovered from the scene.

Firefighters found a Chevrolet Tahoe with its passenger door open and a Duke Power envelope with handwriting on the front windshield, the search warrant said. They notified police, who approached the SUV and smelled the odor of gasoline coming from inside.

The note written on the envelope was addressed to a "Mr. Coffey," identified in the search warrant as Adam Baker's boss, Mark David Coffey.

"Mr. Coffey, you like being in control now who is in control," the note said, according to the search warrant. "We have your daughter and your pot smoking red head son is next unless you do what is asked 1,000,000 unmarked will be in touch soon." In the bottom right, the note said, "no cops," according to the warrant.

Coffee and his only daughter were at the residence at the time of the fire, the warrant said. CNN affiliate News 14 Carolina reported Coffey owns the home.

Adam Baker called police about 2 p.m., saying someone had poured gas in his car and left a note saying they had his boss' daughter, according to the search warrant. Baker told police he believed the person who left the note had kidnapped Zahra.

The Bakers consented to a search of their home, the warrant said. A cadaver dog indicated the possible presence of human remains in or on the Chevrolet Tahoe as well as a burgundy Toyota Camry on the property, it said. Authorities were testing swabs taken from the Tahoe to determine if blood was also present, according to the warrant.

The girl -- a bone cancer survivor, according to CNN affiliate WCNC -- uses a prosthetic leg and hearing aids. The hearing aids have been found, but not the prosthesis, Adkins said.

Elisa Baker was arrested Sunday morning on four counts of writing worthless checks, said Eric Farr, a spokesman for the Catawba County District Attorney's office. Farr said she faces other charges in different counties, including a felony larceny count and other bad-check charges. She is being held on $31,500 bail.

Her court-appointed attorney on the felony charge, Jared Amos of Morganton, North Carolina, said Tuesday he could not comment on the case, as his representation is limited to that charge.

Adkins said Adam Baker faces similar charges, but police have held off serving an arrest warrant while he cooperates with police.

One of Zahra's relatives told CBS earlier Tuesday the girl had a "horrible home life" and was frequently locked in her room.

Brittany Bentley, who is married to Elisa Baker's nephew, told the "Early Show" that every time she was in the Bakers' home, Zahra was locked in her room and allowed out for five minutes a day to eat. She also said she believed the girl was physically abused, saying Elisa Baker would "get mad, she'd take it out on Zahra, things the kid didn't deserve ... she just had a horrible home life."

Police said in a statement they are are "working several leads, specifically addressing Zahra's life before she disappeared."

The family was reported to child welfare authorities, Bentley said, but "I don't know how much was done."

North Carolina's social services system is state-supervised but county-administered, meaning reports are handled in the county where they are made, said Lori Walston, spokeswoman for the state Department of Health and Human Services. However, she said workers are bound by strict confidentiality laws and would not be able to comment on the case.

Bentley's mother, Kim Drum, told CBS that Zahra frequently spent the night in her home, and said the girl would always take her prosthetic leg off when she put on her pyjamas. She said when she heard the prosthesis had not been found, she knew something was wrong.

"She was a happy child," Bentley told the "Early Show." "... She was an amazing child."

She said the only time she ever saw Zahra angry was "when it was time for her to go home ... I understand why she didn't want to go home, because her home life was miserable."

An emotional Adam Baker told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Tuesday he can't be sure his wife is not involved in Zahra's disappearance. "Until they've completed their investigation and can tell me some more, I can't honestly say," he said.

Zahra is described as being about 5 feet 1 inch tall and weighing 85 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes.

The FBI is assisting Hickory police in the investigation, officials said. Authorities ask anyone with information to contact the Hickory Police Department.

Brittany Bentley, who is married to Elisa Baker's nephew, told the "Early Show" that every time she was in the Bakers' home, Zahra was locked in her room and allowed out for five minutes a day to eat. She also said she believed the girl was physically abused, saying Elisa Baker would "get mad, she'd take it out on Zahra, things the kid didn't deserve ... she just had a horrible home life."

Again... wtf.. 

I can't believe how many people failed this precious little girl!!  :2sad:

[quote author=Hayalet link=topic=27381.msg1735469#msg1735469 date=1286907563]

Again... wtf.. 
    [/quote]

Seriously, 'every time'? WTF is wrong with people that they're so complacent as to be like 'oh, honey, do we have to go to that house, it's so uncomfortable the way they abuse their deaf, one-legged cancer survivor child'

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27381.msg1735506#msg1735506 date=1286909801]
    Seriously, 'every time'? WTF is wrong with people that they're so complacent as to be like 'oh, honey, do we have to go to that house, it's so uncomfortable the way they abuse their deaf, one-legged cancer survivor child'
    [/quote]

That is what I can't wrap my head around...so many people KNEW and did nothing! 

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27381.msg1735506#msg1735506 date=1286909801]
    [/quote]

[quote author=sarabei link=topic=27381.msg1735509#msg1735509 date=1286909902]
    That is what I can't wrap my head around...so many people KNEW and did nothing!   
    [/quote]

And then freely blab all to the media before the changed status from missing persons. It's like "Oh, we knew she'd end up dead. Should of said something oops"
    I wonder how long this poor girls life had been local gossip.
    :2eyesbleed:

Olivia

This is all over the news here because she is ‘Australian’. 

SHE was uprooted from Australia two years ago, a little girl who has endured the tragedy and hardship of cancer but always kept smiling.
    Now former Newcastle girl Zahra Baker has disappeared, with her parents at the centre of a major police investigation in the US amid claims the 10-year-old was abducted for a $US1 million ransom.
    North Carolina police were told of Zahra's disappearance last Saturday when they were contacted by her father Adam Baker.
    This morning police charged Zahra's American step-mother, Elisa Baker, with felony obstruction of justice after they say she admitted writing the ransom note.
    They also announced that case was now a homicide investigation, adding that no one outside the immediate family had seen Zahra within the last month
    Zahra is hearing impaired and also wears a prosthetic leg, after having her lower left leg amputated at the age of five due to bone cancer.
    Later, she suffered a secondary bout of lung cancer but that went into remission.
    After being born in Wagga Wagga and spending her early life in Newcastle, Zahra and her family moved to Townsville where Zahra, described by her grandmother Karen Baker as handling "everything with a smile", attended a Camp Quality weekend for sick children.
    The family had only recently moved to the small town of Hickory, northeast of North Carolina's largest city Charlotte - where the FBI and US Marshals Service have now joined local police in the search for Zahra.
    Police have been told Elisa Baker was the last to see Zahra at 2am on Saturday US time. A fire in the backyard of the family home was reported at 5am that day.
    Broke down in tears
    Police had arrested Zahra's stepmother on Sunday on unrelated outstanding fraud charges.
    On Monday, Mr Baker appeared on Good Morning America and said he hoped his wife, whom he reportedly met on the internet, was not involved in the disappearance.
    "I wouldn't like to think so but going off what I've heard so far, it could be possible," Mr Baker said. He said he last saw his daughter on Thursday night and did not realise she was missing until Saturday.
    "[I] came back from looking at a job and started some work in the yard and heard her mother [Elisa] come out and started screaming that Zahra was missing.
    "She didn't know very much. She came out screaming and panicking, telling me Zahra was gone.
    "I went inside searched the house, started searching around the block, called the police."
    Mr Baker then broke down in tears, saying he wanted his daughter back. "I just hope I can get my daughter back. I miss her so much."
    Stunned and shocked
    Karen Baker was also in tears late yesterday and said from her Newcastle home that her son was devastated.
    Mrs Baker begged anyone in her son's home town in the US to come forward with information.
    "We are just stunned and shocked and so upset about what has happened," she said.
    "Adam is obviously very upset, but he is holding up.
    "The North Carolina police have been in constant contact, keeping us up to date with what is going on, but there is nothing we can do from here - we feel so helpless."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/fbi-hunt-for-missing-australian-girl-zahra-baker/story-e6frfkyi-1225937873915#ixzz12BMdOp7S

Even though people are thinking the worst, I'm still hoping that Zahra will be found alive and safe.  Her poor dad, to have his wife possibly involved in this... Must be terrible for him and Zahra's other relatives and friends. :(

I'm sorry, but IF all the accusations are true, then the "poor dad" is just as much to blame as the step monster in my opinion.  She couldn't have been that abused and locked in her room 23 hours a day with him not knowing.

Plus did the parents/fire department (can't remember if the fire department was called) not investigate what was in the pile of burning mulch?  Especially if there was an accelerant used?  Major ball drop page if the fire department was there and didn't look.  I suppose it could have been a red herring though.
    Lurker checking in.

It looks like one or both parents may have put her through a wood chipper...

Missing girl now believed to be dead
    Stepmother charged with obstruction after police say she admitted writing a fake ransom note to thwart investigation.
    By Ely Portillo and Franco Ordoñez
    elyportillo@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010
    Slideshow
    « Prev of Next »

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2010/10/12/21/missing1013.ART0_GAV1PMIL7.1+missing(5).JPG.embedd ed.prod_affiliate.138.jpg|209

Hickory Police Chief Tom Atkins fights tears as he tells reporters that missing girl Zahra Baker is probably dead. JEFF WILLHELM - STAFF PHOTO
          http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2010/10/12/22/missing1013.ART_GAV1PMIRE.1+Zahra_Baker_Starkey_He aring2.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg|457

Zahra Baker

Police suspect a missing Hickory girl who impressed people with her winning smile and polite manners is probably dead, and now call the case a homicide as the search for her body continued Tuesday.

Hickory police reclassified the missing-person case and charged the girl's stepmother with felony obstruction of justice, after they say Elisa Baker admitted writing a fake ransom note to throw off the investigation into Zahra Clare Baker's disappearance.

Late Tuesday, Hickory police and search dogs were canvassing an area in Burke County, according to the Observer's partner, WCNC-TV. A man who lives near the property told WCNC that crews also combed the area off of Hartland Road Monday.

That neighbor said a police officer told him a search dog smelled blood on a mulch pile and a wood chipper on the property.

Earlier, new details broadened the story of how a little girl who had survived cancer moved from Australia and wound up with a stepmother who has a petty criminal past and a MySpace page that features violent imagery and music as well as photos of Zahra.

Trouble in the family had previously been reported to the Caldwell County Department of Social Services, according to a neighbor and relative of the Bakers, after witnesses saw Zahra with a black eye and other bruises. The family lived in Caldwell until roughly six weeks ago when the Bakers moved to neighboring Catawba County.

Caldwell DSS officials didn't respond to repeated messages Tuesday, and the Catawba DSS director declined to be interviewed because Zahra's death hasn't been confirmed.
    At least someone was outraged enough to call DSS.
    Poor kid. 

:-( How could someone do that?

Holy shit. That poor little girl. :(

Thread Information