Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hannah Upp - went missing in 2008 and was found alive. Is now missing again in 2018.

Senior Member skindeep_curiosity's Avatar

Hannah Upp - went missing in 2008 and was found alive. Is now missing again in 2018.

(I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place to post this. Please feel free to move it to a better/the correct place!)

There is no MySpace for Hannah Upp, but I believe this is the MySpace for her roommate, 25-year old Samantha Gallardo (mentioned in the following article): http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=16824445

"23 Year Old Hannah Upp Missing NYC School Teacher … Last Seen Friday, Aug. 29, 2008

23 year old New York City school teacher Hannah Upp has been missing since the afternoon of August 29, 2008. According to reports Hannah Upp was last seen in her Hamilton Heights apartment on the afternoon of 8/29/08. Upp has been described as a “very smart, very sensible young woman who is always aware of where she is and what’s going on around her, and who is conscious of the fact that not everyone she may meet has good intentions.”

According to Upp’s friends, she has planned to go away for the weekend and return on Saturday or Sunday. However, when Upp had not returned by Monday night they began to get concerned. Upp’s disappearance has baffled family and friends as she has all but vanished without a trace.

Upp’s two roommates, a man and a woman, became worried about her Sunday night when they hadn’t heard from her, roommate Samantha Gallardo, 25, told ABCNews.com.

According to Gallardo, Upp’s other roommate, fellow teacher Manny Ramirez, searched her room and saw that her purse, wallet, cell phone, ATM card and subway card were all there.

“My roommate woke me up and we went down to the police station. They didn’t seem too concerned about it at first, but at 4 a.m. that night there were already detectives in our apartment,” Gallardo said. “There’s been police in our apartment since.” "

ETA:

Sorry, original image was hotlinked, so it was removed. This picture is from ABC News (http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?i...316&page=1).

Re: Missing: Hannah Upp, New York City School Teacher.

I heard about this the other day.  Any updates?

It doesn't look like their have been any new developments at all.

"Police do not have any leads about her whereabouts but fear the worst," from http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?i...692&page=1.

Midtown

NEW YORK (1010 WINS)  -- A Harlem public school teacher who disappeared days before classes were set to begin was spotted in a Midtown Manhattan store Monday, police said.

Hannah Emily Upp, 23, was allegedly seen checking her e-mail at the Apple store at 59 Street and 5th Avenue around 9:15 a.m. Police said Upp's family screened the store's video surveillance and confirmed it was her.

Upp, who teaches Spanish at the Thurgood Marshall Academy, has been missing since Aug. 29. She disappeared from her Hamilton Heights apartment where her roommates said the Bryn Mawr graduate's keys, phone, ATM card, MetroCard, wallet, and passport were found.

The United Federation of Teachers is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information regarding the whereabouts of Upp. In addition, Crimestoppers is also offering $2,000 in connection to this incident.

Police are still asking for the public's help in finding Upp and ask anyone with information to call Crimestoppers at 800-577-TIPS.

http://www.1010wins.com/Missing-Teacher-Seen-in-Midtown/2933456

Oh wow. I wonder what in the world she's thinking?

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2008/09/possible_new_development_in_ha.php

Susan G said:
    The New York Post today (Sunday) states that Hannah Upp "went AWOL" last year about the same time for three days.

She received only a "slap on the hand" by her principal.

[quote author=flynntom link=topic=16156.msg999181#msg999181 date=1220974489]

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2008/09/possible_new_development_in_ha.php

Susan G said:
    The New York Post today (Sunday) states that Hannah Upp "went AWOL" last year about the same time for three days.

She received only a "slap on the hand" by her principal.

[/quote]

Interesting!! Sounds like she might be dealing with some seasonal depression or something, if she's done this before at the same time of the year. Hopefully she'll get some help for that when she gets back to real life.

ugh. shit like this should be illegal.  all these people using this time and money looking for some woman who doesn't want to be found when there are missing people out there that need and want to be found.  rawr. :x

that is, of course, if she just went AWOL again on her own free will.  if not, i hope they find her safe and sound.
    Don&#39;t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.<br /><br />[quote author=bowieluva link=action=profile;u=5553 date=1236809919]<br />ALEX IS WATCHING YOU THROUGH A HOLE IN HIS FACE [/quote]

I would never put my family through the agony of worrying about where I am and if I'm alive or not.
    If you want to take off, send them a note or an email or a text to let them know what you're doing. Jeez.
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

I do hope they find her alive and well. But sounds like she has done this before. Maybe she is feeling pressure with school starting and all. Bryn Mawr is a Fab school, she may be one of those over achievers that sometimes withdraws.

ps I had to add this. I hate when bs standard things like this are said about missing person. Because those are usually the ones found stuffed in a box.

Upp has been described as a “very smart, very sensible young woman who is always aware of where she is and what’s going on around her, and who is conscious of the fact that not everyone she may meet has good intentions.”

Wait a minute-- if she doesn't want to be found, what is she doing in Midtown Manhattan? By Monday, do they mean Monday September 8th? Where is she living, at a friend's or something?

Technically I could go out and search for her right now. &lt;-- Lives in Manhattan

[quote author=SignoraAly link=topic=16156.msg999813#msg999813 date=1221006804]
    Wait a minute-- if she doesn't want to be found, what is she doing in Midtown Manhattan? By Monday, do they mean Monday September 8th? Where is she living, at a friend's or something?

Technically I could go out and search for her right now. &lt;-- Lives in Manhattan
    [/quote]

Sometimes we think we'll just blend right into the crowd, and no on will notice us because they're too busy doing whatever it is they do on a day-to-day basis. She probably was craving some sort of contact with people she knew, hence checking her e-mail in an Apple store. Maybe she's preparing herself to come back to &quot;the real world,&quot; and this is just her first baby step to doing so.

Nothing new yet, but here's a blog devoted to the search for Hannah: http://notgivingupp.blogspot.com/

I saw fliers for her all over the city.&nbsp; I was thinking she kinda looks like BD.&nbsp; :lol:

I hope she's ok.&nbsp; Sometimes people just need to get out of NYC.

Looks like she's been found. Brace yourself--this is strange&nbsp; :?:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,423522,00.html

Police say a 23-year-old teacher who disappeared from her Manhattan apartment jumped into New York Harbor and was rescued by a Staten Island ferry captain.

Hannah Upp is in stable condition.

She was last seen Aug. 29. She vanished days before classes started at Thurgood Marshall Academy, and her family and friends launched a massive search. Her credit cars and personal belongings were left her in apartment.

Police say she was apparently spotted at least twice after disappearing in various locations around the city.

Police say she jumped from a Staten Island pier on Tuesday afternoon. A ferry captain en route from Manhattan spotted her in the water and rescued her.

Attention restaurant customers: Testicles. That is all

[quote author=curiousitykilledme link=topic=16156.msg1008196#msg1008196 date=1221598155]
    Looks like she's been found. Brace yourself--this is strange&nbsp; :?:

[/quote]

Whoa! Yeah, that is a strange one. Hrm. I'm guessing suicide attempt? And I'm also guessing the &quot;stable condition&quot; part means physically stable, not mentally stable.&nbsp;

[quote author=skindeep_curiosity link=topic=16156.msg1008222#msg1008222 date=1221600331]
    Whoa! Yeah, that is a strange one. Hrm. I'm guessing suicide attempt? And I'm also guessing the &quot;stable condition&quot; part means physically stable, not mentally stable.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Yeah maybe life was just overwhelming for her at this point. Hopefully she will get the help she needs to be able to live her life in a happy way.

Just thought I'd share an update on Ms. Upp:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,432890,00.html

&quot;NYC Teacher Who Vanished Before Ferry Rescue Says She Lost Her Memory
    Sunday, October 5, 2008

The New York City teacher who disappeared days before the start of the school year and was later rescued after jumping into New York Harbor says she had amnesia, the Daily News reports.

In her only remarks about the ordeal to date, 23-year-old Hannah Upp writes on her Facebook page that she was suffering from a condition called &quot;dissociative fugue&quot; (also known as &quot;dissociative amnesia&quot;) when she was found in the waters off Staten Island — 19 days after she vanished.

&quot;As is typical of a case of dissociative fugue, I was not aware of my own identity and I emerged from the episode with essentially no memory of what happened during the time I was missing,&quot; the Spanish teacher wrote in a message on the social networking site.

The disorder Upp describes causes sufferers to forget their pasts and abruptly run away from home and is typically triggered by trauma or acute stress.

The sudden disappearance of the Oregon native — a New York City teaching fellow at Thurgood Marshall Academy in Harlem — prompted a three-week-long search.

The mystery deepened with several confirmed sightings of Upp in New York while she was missing, culminating in her apparent suicidal leap into the river followed by her dramatic rescue by a Staten Island Ferry crew.

A doctor told the News that Upp's behavior wasn't typical of someone suffering from dissociative fugue.&quot;

It seems like her jumping into the harbor was a suicide attempt, but one she apparently won't remember because of the condition she's suffering from:

&quot;NEW YORK —&nbsp; A New York City teacher missing since last month was saved by a ferry captain Tuesday after she jumped into the harbor in an apparent suicide attempt...&quot;

I hope if I ever suffer from a dissociative fugue, I can remember to check my email.&nbsp;
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=16156.msg1030187#msg1030187 date=1223330635]
    I hope if I ever suffer from a dissociative fugue, I can remember to check my email.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

:lol:

What if you check your e-mail, but you don't remember who the people are that are sending you messages, asking where the hell you've disappeared to? I have a feeling that's what happened to Ms. Upp when she was checking her e-mail at the Apple store!

[quote author=skindeep_curiosity link=topic=16156.msg1030185#msg1030185 date=1223330520]
    Just thought I'd share an update on Ms. Upp:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,432890,00.html

&quot;NYC Teacher Who Vanished Before Ferry Rescue Says She Lost Her Memory
    Sunday, October 5, 2008

The New York City teacher who disappeared days before the start of the school year and was later rescued after jumping into New York Harbor says she had amnesia, the Daily News reports.

In her only remarks about the ordeal to date, 23-year-old Hannah Upp writes on her Facebook page that she was suffering from a condition called &quot;dissociative fugue&quot; (also known as &quot;dissociative amnesia&quot;) when she was found in the waters off Staten Island — 19 days after she vanished.

&quot;As is typical of a case of dissociative fugue, I was not aware of my own identity and I emerged from the episode with essentially no memory of what happened during the time I was missing,&quot; the Spanish teacher wrote in a message on the social networking site.

The disorder Upp describes causes sufferers to forget their pasts and abruptly run away from home and is typically triggered by trauma or acute stress.

The sudden disappearance of the Oregon native — a New York City teaching fellow at Thurgood Marshall Academy in Harlem — prompted a three-week-long search.

The mystery deepened with several confirmed sightings of Upp in New York while she was missing, culminating in her apparent suicidal leap into the river followed by her dramatic rescue by a Staten Island Ferry crew.

A doctor told the News that Upp's behavior wasn't typical of someone suffering from dissociative fugue.&quot;

It seems like her jumping into the harbor was a suicide attempt, but one she apparently won't remember because of the condition she's suffering from:

&quot;NEW YORK —&nbsp; A New York City teacher missing since last month was saved by a ferry captain Tuesday after she jumped into the harbor in an apparent suicide attempt...&quot;
    [/quote]

coughcoughbullshitcough

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=16156.msg1030187#msg1030187 date=1223330635]
    [/quote]

Yeah no shit! I bet if they check her hard drive they will find searches for her so-called &quot;dissociative fugue&quot;.&nbsp; :lol: This story just disappoints me. It could have been so much better.&nbsp; I'm pretty sure with something like this a person most likely wouldn't be jumping into harbors in a suicide plea, since they would have no recollection of their shitty past at that time. Oh maybe the emails upset her and she had to rid herself of Hannah&nbsp; :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just think if someone here was going to pull this &quot;dissociative fugue&quot;, we would have so much more fun during our little black out period! :lol:

So this lady is missing again. She went missing after the hurricanes in the Virgin Islands. This is a crazy story

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ocial_facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    So this lady is missing again. She went missing after the hurricanes in the Virgin Islands. This is a crazy story

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ocial_facebook
    Thanks for finding and posting this, Liv. What an amazing read.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Thread Information