Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT discussion thread

LGBT discussion thread

I dunno how we don't already have this. As a straighty who loves muh gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders, whatever, I thought it would be worth having an open discussion thread on all the topics currently in the news about gay rights: cyber bullying, right to marry, stupid don't ask don't tell, etc. On a more sociological/personal experience/philosophy note than just current events.

I'm curious as I just had an epic argument with my roommate about this yesterday: I said I felt the goal in the gay community was to no longer have to 'come out' as gay, but to have homosexuality be as standard and accepted as heterosexuality and therefor unnecessary of a declaration. I.E someday, my son can be like 'mom I have this huge crush on Steve' and I won't be like HOLY SHIT GET ON THE COVER OF PEOPLE MAGAZINE, YOU'RE COMING OUT! as much as 'oh okay' the way I would if he said "I have a crush on Sarah."

Granted, by the time I have kids, everyone will be named things like Alphabet and Zephra so I won't know wtf gender anyone is until they're more specific or I see them.

Anyway, my roommate argued that she thought people would always have to 'come out' and compared it to choosing a career path, which I thought was totally stupid and illogical. Please support me pwning her.

Re: LGBT discussion thread

I'm all for the gays but I don't think they should have changed that joke in The Dilemma.  But then again the movie looks like shite anyway.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27340.msg1733378#msg1733378 date=1286646970]
    HOLY SHIT GET ON THE COVER OF PEOPLE MAGAZINE, YOU'RE COMING OUT!
    [/quote]
    :lol:

I agree. All though it's a completely different argument, it reminds me of the atheist view point of "Saying we dont believe in God is conceiding that he exists"
    Making an issue of it can make it larger than life.
    If you dont make a huge point of one acknowledging their sexual preference than it wouldnt be such an epic declaration.
    In the past decade or so it has become a smaller deal when people come out, which I see as a positive thing.

The man who has influenced my entire life is gay and has had HIV for some while now and I hope on my lucky stars that im able to see him get married to the man he loves before its too late.
    They are both intelligent, cultured, kind hearted men and I dont see how them legally committing to a union would ruin the sanctity of anyones hetero-sexual marriage.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=27340.msg1733413#msg1733413 date=1286653678]
    I'm all for the gays but I don't think they should have changed that joke in The Dilemma.   But then again the movie looks like shite anyway.
    [/quote]
    I completely agree with you. About both. I side with the south park guys that censorship and silencing people doesn't do anything to eradicate hate or change opinions, it just reinforces their belief system.

I mean, imagine if all women started demanding that no jokes about women be told, or the word bitch couldn't be used, or if I got offended every time a Russian was portrayed as a terrorist. Where does it stop?

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27340.msg1733504#msg1733504 date=1286660569]
    I completely agree with you. About both. I side with the south park guys that censorship and silencing people doesn't do anything to eradicate hate or change opinions, it just reinforces their belief system.

I mean, imagine if all women started demanding that no jokes about women be told, or the word bitch couldn't be used, or if I got offended every time a Russian was portrayed as a terrorist. Where does it stop?
    [/quote]Exactly. What was the joke in the Dilemma?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=27340.msg1733512#msg1733512 date=1286660713]
    Exactly. What was the joke in the Dilemma?
    [/quote]
    He called something gay as in 'it sucks'.

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=27340.msg1733512#msg1733512 date=1286660713]
    Exactly. What was the joke in the Dilemma?
    [/quote]

Vince Vaughn says "electric cars are gay", the studio agreed to pull the joke.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=27340.msg1733516#msg1733516 date=1286660898]
    [/quote]
    The funny thing is that it's more insulting to call me an electric car than gay. Maybe that's why they were offended.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=27340.msg1733516#msg1733516 date=1286660898]
    [/quote]

that's ridiculous. remind me not to download that movie.

Oh, and the best part is the person who called the studio out was Anderson 'you gonna come out of that closet any day soon?' Cooper.

[quote author=delta9 link=topic=27340.msg1733522#msg1733522 date=1286661056]
    that's ridiculous. remind me not to download that movie.
    [/quote]

From what I've seen of the trailer that's the least of the reasons.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27340.msg1733523#msg1733523 date=1286661100]
    Oh, and the best part is the person who called the studio out was Anderson 'you gonna come out of that closet any day soon?' Cooper.
    [/quote]

He's trying to beat Sean Hayes record.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27340.msg1733523#msg1733523 date=1286661100]
    [/quote]Sigh. I agree that it is not beneficial to make moves like that. Acceptance with a sense of humor. Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=27340.msg1733525#msg1733525 date=1286661130]
    From what I've seen of the trailer that's the least of the reasons.

He's trying to beat Sean Hayes record.
    [/quote]
    I don't even know why Sean Hayes came out. Being told he was gay was like having someone walk over and tell me my own name. It's something we've known for so long we can't recall a time when it wasn't so.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27340.msg1733535#msg1733535 date=1286661857]
    I don't even know why Sean Hayes came out. Being told he was gay was like having someone walk over and tell me my own name. It's something we've known for so long we can't recall a time when it wasn't so.
    [/quote]

Kind of like when Ricky Martin came out?  :lol:

I heard a bunch of old Liberace interviews a while back from 60's and 70's late night and day time talk shows. It was so funny hearing the host play along and ask questions like "So when are you going to settle down and get a serious girlfriend and quit with the playboy lifestyle? any special women in your life right now?" And to hear some of his responses.

Of course times were WAY different then

That's what was so great about Paul Lynde.

My sister is a lesbian. I don't care, she's my sister. If she got married to her longtime partner, the only reason I'd feel "cheated" about them getting married is because they can afford a nicer wedding than I had.  :lol:
    And I'm pretty sure being gay isn't a choice? Who would choose a life of ridicule and fear? Sure, they get the rainbow flags but it doesn't help them out with any of the bias against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

My half brother was gay from the start, maybe some make a choice but for the most part no.

I think everyone can agree that regardless of gender, no one really controls who they fall in love with. I would pick much nicer people. :lol:

Scream says you are all wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

My daughter put it best. The heart doesn't have eyes, therefore the heart can't see who to love, it just loves.  The school they go to is pretty gay intolerant. I told my kids, wait till about 10 yrs after graduation when they aren't hot shit at a small town school anymore, and see how that attitude changes.

I had one girl literally want to beat my ass cos she found out I liked girls in school, and blacks, so it was a double whammy. Now she's all, GO GAY RIGHTS, GO GAY MARRIAGE! I'd totally take her to task but she lost her twin sister to breast cancer at 33.

She did end up apologizing and said she was wrong, but it never ever changed the way she acted. After the apology she was standing next to a gay female student and acted like the girl had the plague. Back then you just couldn't come out at all till after high school. High school is brutal when you like someone different than you are, and that's sad :(

It probably will never happen, but I hope to see the day where gays/bi/trans are accepted for the people they are.

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=27340.msg1733610#msg1733610 date=1286669760]
    My daughter put it best. The heart doesn't have eyes, therefore the heart can't see who to love, it just loves.  The school they go to is pretty gay intolerant. I told my kids, wait till about 10 yrs after graduation when they aren't hot shit at a small town school anymore, and see how that attitude changes.

I had one girl literally want to beat my ass cos she found out I liked girls in school, and blacks, so it was a double whammy. Now she's all, GO GAY RIGHTS, GO GAY MARRIAGE! I'd totally take her to task but she lost her twin sister to breast cancer at 33.

She did end up apologizing and said she was wrong, but it never ever changed the way she acted. After the apology she was standing next to a gay female student and acted like the girl had the plague. Back then you just couldn't come out at all till after high school. High school is brutal when you like someone different than you are, and that's sad :(

It probably will never happen, but I hope to see the day where gays/bi/trans are accepted for the people they are.
    [/quote]
    I think it's definitely going to happen. There are plenty of cultures and places in this world where people would think you were fucking nuts if you treated being gay like it was weird.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

why is it such a big deal if someone is gay?  zomg!  gay!  they have sex, just like everyone else does! oh noes!  who the fuck cares, man.  a person shouldnt be defined by their sexuality.  its a part of life, whether you're gay, straight, bi, asexual....but its not everything.  and people who spend all of their time hating on gays....they're icky.  its totally creepy to be so concerned with what people are doing in the bedroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

I'm sure it will happen, just like all other changes have happened. It's not going to be in my lifetime, though. Probably not any of yours, either.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=27340.msg1733626#msg1733626 date=1286673661]
    I'm sure it will happen, just like all other changes have happened. It's not going to be in my lifetime, though. Probably not any of yours, either.
    [/quote]
    I dunno, I think my generation could do it. I still remember when Alexander Krankel had three mommies. We weren't judging, we were lik OH MY GOD SO MANY MOMMIES AND MOMMIES ARE SO GREAT I HAS A JEALOUSE.

Take that attitude and pass it down to our kids and they won't be so judgy.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=27340.msg1733633#msg1733633 date=1286673832]
    I dunno, I think my generation could do it. I still remember when Alexander Krankel had three mommies. We weren't judging, we were lik OH MY GOD SO MANY MOMMIES AND MOMMIES ARE SO GREAT I HAS A JEALOUSE.

Take that attitude and pass it down to our kids and they won't be so judgy.
    [/quote]

Yep, then when all the judgies from your generation and the next are dead they'll really start making progress.  :lol: Look how long it's taken for black people. Oh wait, they haven't made it to equality yet. The wheels of logic and truth turn slowly.

Thread Information