Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The West Memphis 3

The West Memphis 3

Since there are discussions about this in random threads, we should keep updates in one spot since there most likely will be another trial.

A wiki about the murders and past trial:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_Three

Documentaries:

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CyTJgAfSRs[/flash]

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5witm15yck&feature=related[/flash]

Supporters site for the release of the WM3:

http://wm3.org/

Current News:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/30/west.memphis.3.damien.echols/index.html

(CNN) -- A death row inmate who says he did not commit the murders he was convicted of asked the Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday to grant him a new trial.

Damien Echols maintains his innocence 16 years after he and two other teens were convicted of murdering

three Cub Scouts -- Michael Moore, Christopher Byers and Steven Branch.

The court, which heard his request for a new trial Thursday morning, is likely to rule in two or three weeks, court representative Stephanie Harris said.

Echols spoke to CNN from death row recently about the new evidence that he says will prove his innocence.

"I miss the things that most people take for granted, things people don't want, like rain," Echols told CNN in a face-to-face interview.

"To go out and touch it and get wet, or to feel snow. I loved snow my entire life, and I haven't had that in almost 20 years now."

On May 6, 1993, police in the rural community of West Memphis, Arkansas, found the bodies of the young boys, bruised and mutilated, their arms and legs hogtied with their own shoelaces.

Echols, along with 16-year-old Jason Baldwin and 17-year-old Jessie Misskelley, were found guilty a year later. Echols received a death sentence, while Baldwin and Misskelley were sentenced to life in prison. The three teens became known as the West Memphis 3.

His lawyers want to present DNA evidence not available at the time of the trial, as well as testimony that supports arguments that Echols and the two others did not commit the crime.

Meanwhile, no execution date is set for Echols.

"We are asking the Arkansas Supreme Court to right a terrible wrong, overturn their convictions and grant Damien as well as Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley a new trial," said Dennis Riordan, the lead attorney on the case.

The West Memphis 3 have gained advocates, including unexpected support from some of the parents of the victims. Last year, Pamela Hobbs, mother of victim Steven Branch, told CNN that she was once convinced of their guilt. Then she began to consider the DNA evidence. She now says she believes the prosecution's case was flawed.

Capi Peck formed Arkansas Take Action, a Little Rock-based group trying to raise awareness about the West Memphis 3. In the past few weeks, the group has brought in celebrities such as Eddie Vedder of the rock group Pearl Jam and actor Johnny Depp to a public rally.

Echols says police questioned him a day after the bodies of the second-graders were found in the woods, near where they used to hunt turtles. A month later, the teens were arrested.

Prosecutors successfully argued the defendants were involved in a satanic cult. They said that punctures and cuts on the boys' bodies indicated a ritual sacrifice.

In addition, prosecutors secured a confession from Misskelley, although his defense attorneys argued that he had a learning disability and an IQ of 70.

They also claimed that it was not only riddled with inconsistencies but was coerced.

Neither his parents nor his attorney was present when he was questioned. His confession came during the last hour of a 12-hour police interrogation.

His attorneys tried to convince the Arkansas Supreme Court that new evidence not available during the trial exonerates Echols.

DNA testing indicated that a hair found on the shoelace used to tie up one of the victims is consistent with a hair from Terry Hobbs, the stepfather of victim Steven Branch, Echols' lawyers said.

Police have never considered Hobbs a suspect and Hobbs maintains that he had nothing to do with the murders.

Asked whether he killed the boys, Echols responded, "To constantly have to answer that question and to constantly have people asking you that question is like being kicked in the stomach over and over again."

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Re: The West Memphis 3

Innocent.

I've been following this case for several years, and there is more evidence that I killed those boys than these three.  And the thing is, there are some asshats out there who think it's real intelligent to say, "Well, they must've had SOME evidence against them, or no jury would've convicted them."
    Wrong.
    Nothing.  There is nothing.   The ridiculous rantings of a 15-year-old girl who's mom talked her into saying she heard Echols' saying he did it at a friggin' softball game (she later recanted, saying her mother wanted the reward money.)  And you know, that's it.  And twelve people who obviously don't know their ass from their eyes, some very little men who wanted (and received) promotions, and that is why three young men have spent most of their lives behind bars.
    This pisses me off so bad.
    Now that there are folks who people will actually listen to (Eddie Vetter, Johnny Depp) who are willing to speak up for these guys, maybe there's a chance.  In fact, Damien Echols, who is on Death Row, will very likely get a new trial.  And if I were a dude called Terry Hobbs or his friend David Jacoby, I'd be getting very, very worried.  Because it wasn't the DNA of any of these three that was found in the knots of the shoelaces that hogtied these kids together, it was yours.  And it wasn't your kid's laces, so fuck the transfer theory.  Terry Hobbs sure did a lot of nervous squirming on his interview (it's on YouTube if anyone cares)... dude, you ain't done squirmin'..... you ain't SEEN squirmin' yet.  
    Anyone interested should watch the Paradise Lost documentary (it's on YouTube in bits... I think there are 8 parts) and I'm telling you, it's interesting stuff.
    The one guy, Jesse Misskelley, with his IQ of MAYBE 70 (under 70 is mentally deficient and unable to "confess") who was leaned on for no less than 12 hours (the first 11 hours and 15 minutes were somehow "lost" by the West Memphis PD... funny how that happens, ya know it?)  That's all they have.  And they had to TELL him what to say --- this is a travesty, as is every single day these guys are in jail.  "These guys" are Damien Echhols, Jason Baldwin, and Jesse Misskelley, they are people, and they have been in jail since they were teenagers for this shit.  They are PEOPLE with hopes and dreams and parents and families and they deserve a chance to live their lives.  My god, Jason Baldwin was barely 16 when he was charged with this... can you imagine?  Remember what we were doing at 16?  Can you imagine this shit going down?  I saw footage of him before the jury came back, and -- God love him -- of course he thought they'd find him innocent (because, hell, he IS and all) and I just, anyone who doesn't feel for the plight of these guys just isn't right.  Seriously.
    And if that doesn't bother anybody, there is a monster on the streets of West Memphis.  A monster who brutally murdered three fucking boy scouts, aged 8, and mutilated them horribly, and they have been walking free for well over a decade.
    It's time to get these guys out of prison and come down on the killers.  Terry Hobbs, they're coming for you, dude, and when they do, David Jacoby, you're next.  The devil's in the details, darlings, and so is your DNA.
    I've told and will continue to tell anyone who will listen to join in the effort to do the right thing and
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
    Sorry for the language, but this case pisses me off.
    Tell me, is something eluding you, Sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you wanna find out what's behind this cold eyes you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise...

Hey, ah, sorry about the underlining.
    I was trying to underline the letter "I" -- as in saying that I was more guilty than these three.  It kinda went bad for me after that effort, so sorry about that.
    Damn.
    Tell me, is something eluding you, Sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you wanna find out what's behind this cold eyes you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise...

That's O.K. I gave ya good karma anyways..... :2smiley:

[quote author=TaupinJohn link=topic=27210.msg1728005#msg1728005 date=1286074456]
    I've been following this case for several years, and there is more evidence that [u]I[u] killed those boys than these three.  And the thing is, there are some asshats out there who think it's real intelligent to say, "Well, they must've had SOME evidence against them, or no jury would've convicted them."
    Wrong.
    Nothing.  There is nothing.  The ridiculous rantings of a 15-year-old girl who's mom talked her into saying she heard Echols' saying he did it at a friggin' softball game (she later recanted, saying her mother wanted the reward money.)  And you know, that's it.  And twelve people who obviously don't know their ass from their eyes, some very little men who wanted (and received) promotions, and that is why three young men have spent most of their lives behind bars.
    This pisses me off so bad.
    Now that there are folks who people will actually listen to (Eddie Vetter, Johnny Depp) who are willing to speak up for these guys, maybe there's a chance.  In fact, Damien Echols, who is on Death Row, will very likely get a new trial.  And if I were a dude called Terry Hobbs or his friend David Jacoby, I'd be getting very, very worried.  Because it wasn't the DNA of any of these three that was found in the knots of the shoelaces that hogtied these kids together, it was yours.  And it wasn't your kid's laces, so fuck the transfer theory.  Terry Hobbs sure did a lot of nervous squirming on his interview (it's on YouTube if anyone cares)... dude, you ain't done squirmin'..... you ain't SEEN squirmin' yet. 
    Anyone interested should watch the Paradise Lost documentary (it's on YouTube in bits... I think there are 8 parts) and I'm telling you, it's interesting stuff.
    The one guy, Jesse Misskelley, with his IQ of MAYBE 70 (under 70 is mentally deficient and unable to "confess") who was leaned on for no less than 12 hours (the first 11 hours and 15 minutes were somehow "lost" by the West Memphis PD... funny how that happens, ya know it?)  That's all they have.  And they had to TELL him what to say --- this is a travesty, as is every single day these guys are in jail.  "These guys" are Damien Echhols, Jason Baldwin, and Jesse Misskelley, they are people, and they have been in jail since they were teenagers for this shit.  They are PEOPLE with hopes and dreams and parents and families and they deserve a chance to live their lives.  My god, Jason Baldwin was barely 16 when he was charged with this... can you imagine?  Remember what we were doing at 16?  Can you imagine this shit going down?  I saw footage of him before the jury came back, and -- God love him -- of course he thought they'd find him innocent (because, hell, he IS and all) and I just, anyone who doesn't feel for the plight of these guys just isn't right.  Seriously.
    And if that doesn't bother anybody, there is a monster on the streets of West Memphis.  A monster who brutally murdered three fucking boy scouts, aged 8, and mutilated them horribly, and they have been walking free for well over a decade.
    It's time to get these guys out of prison and come down on the killers.  Terry Hobbs, they're coming for you, dude, and when they do, David Jacoby, you're next.  The devil's in the details, darlings, and so is your DNA.
    I've told and will continue to tell anyone who will listen to join in the effort to do the right thing and
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
    Sorry for the language, but this case pisses me off.
    [/quote]

Can someone link this from YouTube?  I watched one doc today that was 15 parts but missing part number 4 of 15.  Is this the same one or is there another?

I've been intrigued by this case too since I watched Paradise Lost. They just seem like regular goth kids who got caught up in the paranoid and witch hunt of small-minded, religious zealots. I'm convinced they're innocent too. I keep track of all the news updates on the WM3 website, they also have a support group on facebook.

WM3 Website: http://www.freewestmemphis3.org/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2209192659

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

This case is crazy. :2huh:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I am obsessed with this case and have been for years. The Devils Knot is a really good book about the case. It discusses alot of evidence that was not mentioned in court. I am amazed that these kids still have not gotten a re-trial with all the new info that has come out over the years.

[quote author=g r ee n ey e s link=topic=27210.msg1726084#msg1726084 date=1285879609]
    Since there are discussions about this in random threads, we should keep updates in one spot since there most likely will be another trial.[/quote]Thanks!

This case is very intriguing. I was debating whether or not to read the book the devils knot or if it would just throw too much crap at me at one time.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=27210.msg1728361#msg1728361 date=1286135156]
    This case is crazy. :2huh:
    [/quote]

Agreed!

Damien said it right when he was asked why he thinks they wont grant an appeal.  I agree that so many careers and retirements were built around this case.  This was a huge deal in that area at the time and the government officials,  judges, lawyers and law enforcement now wont admit they were wrong and fucked up.  Their whole rise to prestige was based on this trial and the conviction of these boys.  It's all about politics.

Pretty pathetic that the parties most responsible for conviction would rather see a man dead than admit there just might be a horrible miscarriage of justice.  :2angry:

[quote author=berryblu link=topic=27210.msg1728119#msg1728119 date=1286086151]
    Can someone link this from YouTube?  I watched one doc today that was 15 parts but missing part number 4 of 15.  Is this the same one or is there another?
    [/quote]
    I can't seem to find part 4 either, i thought maybe they had just labelled it wrong but it's defo missing  :|
    I'm on part 5 atm, pretty disturbing seeing the poor little boys bodies 
    beli : Cunt fingers. Just like butterfingers, only cuntier.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=giasgurl1222 link=topic=27210.msg1728817#msg1728817 date=1286212261]
    Pretty pathetic that the parties most responsible for conviction would rather see a man dead than admit there just might be a horrible miscarriage of justice.  :2angry:
    [/quote]
    That's the system "working" for you. :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=lulupop link=topic=27210.msg1730020#msg1730020 date=1286312666]
    I can't seem to find part 4 either, i thought maybe they had just labelled it wrong but it's defo missing  :|
    I'm on part 5 atm, pretty disturbing seeing the poor little boys bodies 
    [/quote]

I noticed it was missing too. Sometimes though youtube will take down a video  because it does not have the authorization for copyrights to certain things, like a song, that is in the video.

Holy CRAP - how had I not heard about this before?!?!   I'm completely fascinated...and horrified that these three innocent lives are destroyed because of greed in a small hick bible thumping town. 

[quote author=debk589 link=topic=27210.msg1730612#msg1730612 date=1286383891]
    Holy CRAP - how had I not heard about this before?!?!   I'm completely fascinated...and horrified that these three innocent lives are destroyed because of greed in a small hick bible thumping town. 
    [/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean.  As for the few people I've told (about it) who actually gave a rat's ass, they say the same thing, pretty much WTF?

I remember the first time I ever heard of them.  I was watching some band... I kind of think it was U2 but it might have been Pearl Jam, and the guitar player had a "Free the West Memphis Three" sticker on his guitar.  And after the last song,  Bono (I think) or Vetter, whoever, they yelled, "Peace out!  And free the West Memphis Three!"  So of course I was curious and now, years later, they still sit in prison and I still can't do a damned thing about it.  Apparently, me buying those few t-shirts and signing an online petition was not enough to do jack shit.  Imagine that.

It is SO political now, you guys saying so are right.  Those asshats in the video... especially Ugly-Ass-Bald-Dude who, when asked how sure he was that they were guilty, on a one to 10 scale, goes, "11" and the whole Room of Asshats clapped, it just, it pisses me off.  It still does just thinking about it.  There were so many promotions over this case the department was in complete turnover status.  It was wrong then and it's wrong now, and when it's proven so, those promotions need to be revoked and the salaries paid back.  (I know it won't happen, but a lot of things that should happen don't happen...)

Also, to those of you just now hearing about the WM3, just, you know, good for you.  I'm beginning to see there really is strength in numbers (particularly if among that number are a few celebrities ala Johnny Depp) and the more people on this wagon, the better, as I see it.

I don't just want Damien, Jason, and Jesse out of jail, I want the killer (yo Terry Hobbs) to pay for the murder and mutilation of three FRIGGIN' BOY SCOUTS.  Sorry this just so pisses me off.

[quote author=TaupinJohn link=topic=27210.msg1733001#msg1733001 date=1286580497]
    Yeah, I know what you mean.  As for the few people I've told (about it) who actually gave a rat's ass, they say the same thing, pretty much WTF?

I remember the first time I ever heard of them.  I was watching some band... I kind of think it was U2 but it might have been Pearl Jam, and the guitar player had a "Free the West Memphis Three" sticker on his guitar.  And after the last song,  Bono (I think) or Vetter, whoever, they yelled, "Peace out!  And free the West Memphis Three!"  So of course I was curious and now, years later, they still sit in prison and I still can't do a damned thing about it.  Apparently, me buying those few t-shirts and signing an online petition was not enough to do jack shit.  Imagine that.

It is SO political now, you guys saying so are right.  Those asshats in the video... especially Ugly-Ass-Bald-Dude who, when asked how sure he was that they were guilty, on a one to 10 scale, goes, "11" and the whole Room of Asshats clapped, it just, it pisses me off.  It still does just thinking about it.  There were so many promotions over this case the department was in complete turnover status.  It was wrong then and it's wrong now, and when it's proven so, those promotions need to be revoked and the salaries paid back.  (I know it won't happen, but a lot of things that should happen don't happen...)

Also, to those of you just now hearing about the WM3, just, you know, good for you.  I'm beginning to see there really is strength in numbers (particularly if among that number are a few celebrities ala Johnny Depp) and the more people on this wagon, the better, as I see it.

I don't just want Damien, Jason, and Jesse out of jail, I want the killer (yo Terry Hobbs) to pay for the murder and mutilation of three FRIGGIN' BOY SCOUTS.  Sorry this just so pisses me off.
    [/quote]

Didn't Terry Hobbs get all of his teeth extracted and get dentures fitted once he found out they were doing forensics on bite marks found on the bodies?

[quote author=letstrythisagain link=topic=27210.msg1733195#msg1733195 date=1286607812]
    Didn't Terry Hobbs get all of his teeth extracted and get dentures fitted once he found out they were doing forensics on bite marks found on the bodies?
    [/quote]

That was John Mark Byers who did that, he blamed it on brittle teeth from some meds he was on  :|

However, I feel with the DNA on site from Hobbs, he most certainly did it.

I think about Damien, Jessie and Jason daily :(

IMO if Damien, Jessie, and Jason did it then they would have told by now. Idk if they would be put to death or not but if I knew I could be facing my whole life (or alot of it) in prison just because I didn't confess, I probably would just tell.

Another great book to read is by Damien Echols Almost Home Vol 1

He's a great writer. That book convinced me that the cops in WM were out to get those boys, especially Damien for a LONG time before the murders even happened. The cops harassed him incessantly, it's awful. :(

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=27210.msg1733202#msg1733202 date=1286609604]
    That was John Mark Byers who did that, he blamed it on brittle teeth from some meds he was on  :|

[/quote]

Heh yeah... if you consider meth a med.
    I saw this when it was first on HBO and way back then I thought they were innocent. I felt Byers was involved somehow. He just always seemed suspicious. I hadn't heard about the Hobbs DNA evidence.
    I added both docs to my Netflix. I need a refresher!

[quote author=Trahnse link=topic=27210.msg1733212#msg1733212 date=1286610567]
    Heh yeah... if you consider meth a med.
    I saw this when it was first on HBO and way back then I thought they were innocent. I felt Byers was involved somehow. He just always seemed suspicious. I hadn't heard about the Hobbs DNA evidence.
    I added both docs to my Netflix. I need a refresher!
    [/quote]

I thought he was involved too... If he wasn't, he definitely enjoyed being in the spotlight and playing mindgames with the media.

Thread Information