Thread: Michelle Pulsifer - missing since 1969

Michelle Pulsifer - missing since 1969

i'm not sure what to put this under michelle pulsifer disappeared when she was 3 in 1969,they have not found her they believe she is dead.

Still missing, but not forgotten

When the end came and yet another jury said it couldn't reach a verdict, the temptation was to say the system did horribly wrong by 3-year-old Michelle Pulsifer.

Maybe that's a no-brainer, that it goes without saying. When a toddler disappears and is presumed dead -- almost certainly by nefarious means and under the supervision of her mother and a boyfriend -- how can no one be held accountable? We put common drunks in jail; couldn't we find a way to bring justice for a 3-year-old?

The short answer is that life is full of square pegs and round holes, even in matters as consequential as a little girl who vanished in 1969 and whom no one seemed to care about for the longest time.

And that's the way the story could have ended. The system could have permanently forgotten Michelle and relegated her disappearance to the deepest, darkest section of the cold-case files, but Orange County prosecutor Larry Yellin insisted that not happen.

And though he lost twice in trying to hold someone accountable, I'd argue that Yellin struck a blow for at least some version of justice. Which is to say, he tried.

Michelle Pulsifer would be 42 had she lived. Odds are that she would have been a wife and mother. She would have gone to high school, maybe college, listened to pop music and gone to movies and, like the rest of us, marveled at how things have changed since the 1970s.

Even these kind of mundane thoughts drove Yellin as he took Michelle's mother to trial twice since 2007 on murder charges. Both ended in mistrials, the most recent being earlier this month with the jury deadlocking 11 to 1 for acquittal of second-degree murder and 7 to 5 for guilt on involuntary manslaughter.

The judge ruled that there won't be a third trial, saying the evidence isn't there to get a conviction. Aside from the difficulty inherent in trying a 39-year-old case and the absence of a body, the boyfriend of the girl's mother -- who also had been charged in the case -- died in custody in 2005. He denied killing the girl, indirectly pointed the finger at her mother, Donna Prentice, but said he buried Michelle in an Orange County canyon. Prentice's attorney argued that the boyfriend was probably the killer.

I'm not writing today about the evidence or the strength of the case. What moves me, in a way that's hard to nail down on paper, is how Yellin's determination to bring a tough case to trial shows that we didn't forget the 3-year-old.

It is a case with many complications. You can see why it could have remained dormant forever. There was no public outcry to solve the Michelle Pulsifer case.

"The clamor is for the current case," Yellin says. "There's no reason to be clamoring over cold cases. But one of the things that makes it poignant is that you get the sense in hindsight as to the life they have missed. . . . You see how life has passed them by, how it went on without them. It's a loss they didn't get to come along for the ride."

That's what I'm trying to say, that even if Michelle didn't get a chance to live a life, at least someone all these years later cared enough to take note of that and assign some responsibility for why she didn't.

I ask Yellin about that aspect. Yes, there's the law to consider, but what about the personal sense of making things right for a forgotten child?

"My personal sense of justice, or sense of compassion, which leans toward the victims, does fuel my efforts," he says. "I don't think I can keep that out of it. But I hope I'm smart enough that I never let it blind me or make a mistake that could lead to an injustice, like if would I feel so passionate that I go after the wrong person."

But even that dispassion didn't keep him from choking up during his closing argument, he says.

It came while he was talking about what might have been for Michelle. "I was trying to catch the jury's emotion, and it caught my own."

The case wasn't prosecuted all those years ago because Prentice told people that she had left Michelle with others when she and her boyfriend abruptly left Orange County for the Midwest. The couple, however, took, two young boys with them -- sons from their previous marriages.

Michelle's biological father says that because Prentice had full custody, he was stymied in learning in the ensuing years of her whereabouts.

I ask Yellin, the father of daughters ages 11, 8 and 5, if the failure to get a conviction haunts him. "I can accept it because I recognize it was a difficult case," he says. People on both sides of the bar in Orange County praised his efforts, he says.

"The most heartening thing is that if nothing else, we did make people remember her. That wasn't really our goal, but there's a component of sort of remembering these lost people, reminding other people who didn't know anything about them or that they even existed. In this case, not even her loved ones knew what happened to her."

The investigation and subsequent trials brought some answers to her biological father and his family, Yellin says. "I take a lot of solace in that. At least I did that for them."

And they left him with something, too. After the second hung jury, Michelle's father gave him a Christmas ornament with his daughter's name on it and asked Yellin to hang it on his tree.

In a very literal way, Yellin says, he took the case home with him.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=5 74&topicId=100020825&docId=l:903579135&amp ;start=6

MICHELLE KELLY PULSIFER  
    Case Type: Endangered Missing  
    DOB: Mar 17, 1966 Sex: Female
    Missing Date: Mar 17, 1969 Race: White
    Age Now: 42 Height:  3'5" (104 cm)
    Missing City: HUNTINGTON BEACH Weight:  40 lbs (18 kg)
    Missing State :  CA Hair Color: Blonde
    Missing Country: United States Eye Color: Brown
    Case Number: NCMC973335  
    Circumstances: Michelle was last seen in 1969, but the exact date is unknown. The above missing date is an approximation. She is missing under suspicious circumstances.
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseN um=973335&orgPrefix=NCMC&seqNum=1&case Lang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

this case was on 48 hours called a girl in a little blue dress

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pulsifer_michelle.html
    I won't feel sorry for me, I'm getting drunk
    But I'd much rather be somewhere with you

Re: michelle pulsifer

someone left a weird comment on this site,claiming to be michelle.

michelle kelly pulsifer
    December 14th, 2009 on 5:22 pm

I am alive and well and living in ontario. There is a lot to this dissapearance that they are not telling you. If you care… ask the Detective and Prosecutor to hurry the DNA results and then you will know the truth. I miss my mom and dad and brother very much. I want to be home this Christmas. My DNA was collected on November 12th. I was sure that they would have it done by now because I am an American. Anyway Thankyou for all the love and support this website has given in helping me to remember my self. Sandy(your Michelle) In Christ.

http://www.flutterbyewings.com/?p=236

Re: Michelle Pulsifer - missing since 1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QniGF13g_e4

[quote author=rachy link=topic=27100.msg1721071#msg1721071 date=1285217252]

michelle kelly pulsifer

I am alive and well and living in ontario. There is a lot to this dissapearance that they are not telling you. If you care… ask the Detective and Prosecutor to hurry the DNA results and then you will know the truth. I miss my mom and dad and brother very much. I want to be home this Christmas. My DNA was collected on November 12th. I was sure that they would have it done by now because I am an American. Anyway Thankyou for all the love and support this website has given in helping me to remember my self. Sandy(your Michelle) In Christ.

[/quote]

Interesting.  This is the facebook of the woman who claims to be Michelle:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000233726626

[size=4pt]edited to insert correct Facebook link[/size]

She has a little more information about her supposed abduction on her info page.  

I am the grown up survivor of abduction child hood attempt murder rape and brain injury.spinal chord survivor. I am a high school grad and 1yr college for early childhood development and spanish second language.I have studied theology for 35 yrs. I love to write songs short stories and poetry.born in california abducted to canada in 1969 at 3 yrs old. spent time in south fla. and ny and nj and louisiana. Married twice. Currently dating and engaged. Two grown children one small son 6 yr this month. I live to love them and die to defend them. My friends and family are as close to me as my next heartbeat and have loved me with a love that is a beautiful reflection on the face of God.In spite of them selves.I am a loyal friend to the wild kingdom and love to befriend the wilder side of life. Currently I am a breeder of fine animals and a writer of top songs for my community and country.

My first thought was; perhaps she should have studied English in college, rather than taking Spanish courses?  

I think she's just crazy.  Even considering the slim possibility that they have never found a body, so technically she could be alive somewhere, I really doubt it.  If she was abducted to Canada at 3, and the mother/step-father did not move to Canada, I guess she is claiming she was abducted by someone else?  Why in the world would the step-father admit to burying her body then?  Also, as a "child hood attempt murder rape and brain injury.spinal chord survivor", how did she get treatment for these injuries without any of the information about who she really was and that she was abducted coming out?  She then goes on to say she is close to her family...now would this be her real family, who don't know she's alive?  the others that are on trial for murdering her? or are the people who abducted her and raped/attempted to murder/gave her brain & spinal cord injuries her family?  Obviously she's old enough now that if any of this were the case, she could have come forward ages ago, and if there were a DNA test proving that she was who she claims as she says, there would have been results by now backing her claim up.

What is strange though, is that she has a friend named Daniel Pulsifer, and a friend named Jason Daniel Pulsifer on her list.  Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

[quote author=statro link=topic=27100.msg1721283#msg1721283 date=1285264547]
    Interesting.  This is the facebook of the woman who claims to be Michelle:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000747986972#!/profile.php?id=100000233726626&ref=search

She has a little more information about her supposed abduction on her info page. 

I am the grown up survivor of abduction child hood attempt murder rape and brain injury.spinal chord survivor. I am a high school grad and 1yr college for early childhood development and spanish second language.I have studied theology for 35 yrs. I love to write songs short stories and poetry.born in california abducted to canada in 1969 at 3 yrs old. spent time in south fla. and ny and nj and louisiana. Married twice. Currently dating and engaged. Two grown children one small son 6 yr this month. I live to love them and die to defend them. My friends and family are as close to me as my next heartbeat and have loved me with a love that is a beautiful reflection on the face of God.In spite of them selves.I am a loyal friend to the wild kingdom and love to befriend the wilder side of life. Currently I am a breeder of fine animals and a writer of top songs for my community and country.

[/quote]

That facebook belongs to a Joe Stahl.

[quote author=Laurie_khikhi link=topic=27100.msg1721501#msg1721501 date=1285283557]
    That facebook belongs to a Joe Stahl.
    [/quote]

Crap.  I hate how facebook does that!  If you look at one profile, then another, it keeps the information from the original profile as well.  The entire url would go to the right page, but only the first part of it is hyperlinked in here.

This should go to the correct profile, Sandy Abel-wells;
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000233726626
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

i read somewhere they did a dna test on her and she turned out not to be michelle,but she keeps claiming that she is.

[quote author=rachy link=topic=27100.msg1721690#msg1721690 date=1285310209]
    i read somewhere they did a dna test on her and she turned out not to be michelle,but she keeps claiming that she is.
    [/quote]Yeah, seems they would haveresults by now. How amazing would it be for her family if it was her though.

[quote author=rachy link=topic=27100.msg1721690#msg1721690 date=1285310209]
    [/quote]

I read that as well, in a comment on youtube on the video you posted.  She had made a comment saying anyone could ask her any questions, and someone else said the DNA test said she wasn't Michelle, so not to listen to her.  I tried searching around, and couldn't find anything else referring to the test or the results though.

[quote author=rachy link=topic=27100.msg1721071#msg1721071 date=1285217252]

michelle kelly pulsifer

[/quote]

I am the admin at Flutterbyewings.com.  Thanks for your link to my story about Michelle.  The person who made the comments that you reference left several other comments regarding her "true" identity.  I didn't post them all because I did not feel that she was legit. 

It is very sad that someone would be so delusional as to want to pass themselves off as a precious child who was killed long ago but whose death has gone unpunished.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

hey flutter, welcome to mds!  can you tell us more about the comments she left on your site that you didn't  post? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar

Marking.

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=27100.msg1721855#msg1721855 date=1285353344]
    hey flutter, welcome to mds!  can you tell us more about the comments she left on your site that you didn't  post? 
    [/quote]

I will go ahead and post them for any who are interested. 

[quote author=flutter1 link=topic=27100.msg1721844#msg1721844 date=1285352347]
    It is very sad that someone would be so delusional as to want to pass themselves off as a precious child who was killed long ago but whose death has gone unpunished.[/quote]It is sad. Welcome to MDS.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=flutter1 link=topic=27100.msg1721865#msg1721865 date=1285354226]
    I will go ahead and post them for any who are interested. 
    [/quote]

hell yeah, we're interested.    post them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

[quote author=flutter1 link=topic=27100.msg1721844#msg1721844 date=1285352347]
    I am the admin at Flutterbyewings.com.  Thanks for your link to my story about Michelle.  The person who made the comments that you reference left several other comments regarding her "true" identity.  I didn't post them all because I did not feel that she was legit. 

It is very sad that someone would be so delusional as to want to pass themselves off as a precious child who was killed long ago but whose death has gone unpunished.
    [/quote]

you're welcome. yes it is very sad that someone would be that delusional,i still wonder what happened to that little girl you'd think the mother would say something now that the boyfriend is dead,they said she was afraid of him why don't she say what happened to her.

Marking.

Lost & Found Facebook page made by Sandy Abel-Wells
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=140509259295736&topic=116#!/group.php?gid=140509259295736&v=info

Sandy Abel-wells My name is Michelle Pulsifer. I was missing from Huntington Beach California scince 1969 and declared endangered in 2004. I have not been located officially but I am alive and living with the memories from my abduction and the scars that brought me thru. I just wondered if there was anyone else like me and if you are out there, would you share your stories of survival with me. Please join me and find your Quest for signifigance on the pages of our groups history.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

I saw this 48 Hours. High five to someone posting as Michelle; her mom and the boyfriend killed her that night. She admitted as much to the son DECADES later. I felt so bad for him and his dad, who tried for years to find out wtf was going on. It really is disgusting how badly the system failed Michelle and her brother and dad. I cried watching it.

How the fuck did they have a mistrial? Twice? I can't wrap my head around that at all.

ETA:[quote author=rachy link=topic=27100.msg1722146#msg1722146 date=1285395772]
    Sandy Abel-wells My name is Michelle Pulsifer. I was missing from Huntington Beach California scince 1969 and declared endangered in 2004. I have not been located officially but I am alive and living with the memories from my abduction and the scars that brought me thru. I just wondered if there was anyone else like me and if you are out there, would you share your stories of survival with me. Please join me and find your Quest for signifigance on the pages of our groups history.
    [/quote]http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=26771.0
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

that's richard jr.
    this is sorta old it was written in 04

Vista man recalls events around 1969 tragedy
    VISTA – Richard Pulsifer Jr. remembers the dream vividly. In it, he is a boy searching for his 3-year-old sister, Michelle. He stands over a square plot of earth and grass. He looks down. He finds her decaying body.

Pulsifer said it was only a bad dream, but it was the first time he realized his little sister, missing for years, was probably dead.

He was 6 when she vanished 35 years ago. The dream came at age 17, he says, shortly after he heard his mother utter the words "Michelle" and "death" in the next room.

"Was the dream telling me what actually happened or confirming what I heard?" he asked in an interview this week at his Vista home. "I think deep down I knew she wasn't alive."

Michelle's and Pulsifer's mother, Donna J. Prentice, and her former boyfriend, James Michael Kent, were arrested last week and charged with murder in connection with the tot's unexplained disappearance in July 1969.

Kent, a 62-year-old truck driver with a criminal record, admitted last week on tape that he buried Michelle's body in Silverado Canyon in the Santa Ana Mountains, along the Riverside-Orange County border, an Illinois sheriff's detective told The Associated Press on Monday.

"I thought that was pretty . . . ," Pulsifer said, his comment trailing off. "I don't know how to put it into words."

Authorities believe that Prentice of Genoa, Wis., and Kent of Lakemoor, Ill., killed Michelle and then moved with Pulsifer and a stepbrother to Illinois to cover their tracks.

They are being held in Vernon County, Wis., and Orange County, respectively, on $1 million bond and face court hearings later this month.

Pulsifer, now 41, said he was 6 years old and asleep in his bed on a warm summer morning in Huntington Beach in July 1969 when Michelle walked into his room. She wanted to hide, he said, and started to climb up onto the twin bed with him.

He had almost worked her under the covers, he said, when his mother walked in and took her away.

"It was like, 'Come here, darling,' just like any mother would do," he recalled. "There was no anger or anything like that."

That was the last time Pulsifer saw his sister. Just days later, he said, the family packed up and left California for Illinois.

Pulsifer, whose mother and father had divorced, said Kent was a strict disciplinarian while he was growing up. He said he buried any talk about the beatings – along with questions about Michelle's whereabouts – because he never wanted to hurt his mother emotionally.

After the family moved again, this time to Kenosha, Wis., his mother asked him if he wanted to know what happened to his sister. He was a freshman in high school at the time.

"I asked, 'Where is she?' " he said. "She changed the subject. It pretty much wasn't brought up again."

His father, Richard Pulsifer Sr., had been looking for his son for years and finally found him, he said, after his mother – then working as a cocktail waitress – applied for government aid and the agency contacted his father.

Pulsifer said one of his last memories of living with his mother before going to live with his father was at age 17, when he awoke to hear her crying in another room of their two-bedroom apartment and talking to her husband, Noble Prentice. He said he caught the words "Michelle" and "death."

At age 19 and living with his father, Pulsifer agreed to meet with a hypnotist his father hired to jog his memories about Michelle. He is unsure if it worked but said he was able to recall some memories without help, such as trying to hide Michelle and the dream.

But it wasn't until 1987, when he was 24, that he phoned his mother and posed the question that had become an obsession for father and son: What happened to Michelle?

"She said, 'I'm not telling you, Rich,' " he recalled. " 'It's been so long I don't want to open up old wounds.' "

Later in the same conversation, she told him Michelle was alive and well and using the Pulsifer last name, he said. Unwilling to probe further, he backed off.

Contact between mother and son became infrequent after that, he said. Prentice knew of her son's impending birth in November 1997 but never called Pulsifer and his wife, Lisa, to ask if it was a boy or girl, he said.

Eventually, detectives pieced Michelle's case together with a little help from a private investigator hired by a family member, Ann Friedman, of Coronado.

Amid the mystery of his sister's disappearance, Pulsifer lived a pretty normal life. He helped run American Karate School in San Marcos and other locations with his father, achieving a seventh-degree black belt, before he had an accident on the job in 1998. Now he is a circulation manager with the North County Times newspaper.

He and his wife have three boys, ages 6 to 20, and live in a duplex near Vista Village. He gets off work around 7 a.m. to take his children to school. They drive a blue minivan and a white Ford station wagon.

Pulsifer knows that his normal life is over, though, at least for a while, and that he may have to take the witness stand.

"The whole thing is very strange," he said. "Right now, I'm on an emotional roller coaster."

He spoke calmly, almost affably, with a chuckle about some childhood memories.

But he said now he feels hate and sorrow, and wonders if after 35 years he can feel forgiveness.

The family has been contacted by national media, including NBC's "The Today Show" and "Dateline." Pulsifer gave a box full of family photos, trinkets and pictures of Michelle to investigators.

"It's scary, I tell you," he said. "I didn't think my part in this was that important."

Prom picture of Donna Pulsifer Prentice and Richard Pulsifer, who became parents of Richard Jr. and Michelle. The girl disappeared in 1969 at age 3 from Huntington Beach.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040902/news_1mi2brother.html

Sry I came across your page while researching this posters claim of child abduction. It appeared to be odd in the way she came out & said & the choice of where she posted it so I decided to google her & got your page. If what she isn't true, is she even legally allowed to go around claiming to be someone she's not? I know I'd be pissed if someone went around posing as my missing sibling or child.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...user=788284251

Sandy WellsA PERMIT TO CARRY AINT NOTHING, I LIVED WITH A CHILD ABDUCTER ALL MY LIFE SINCE BEING STOLEN IN 1969, HE HAS ONE, IN FACT THEY KEEP THEMSELVES ABOVE SUSPICIAN AND CONSIDER IT A TROPHY TO NEVER EVEN HAVE A TICKET, LIKE THEY GET OVER ON THE COPS BUT IN MY OPINION THE PRINCIPAL SHOULD HAVE BASED THE DECISION TO HAVE HER VOLUNTEER AT THE SCHOOL ON HER ACTIVITY AT THE SCHOOL, WAS SHE ON TIME, POLITE, COOPERATIVE, A POSITIVE INFLUENCE, THEN SHE COULD EXPRESS HER FEARS WITH THE MOTHER REGARDING THE POSTED GUN PERMIT ONLINE IN A PRIVATE MEETING AND ASKED HER VIEWS ON GUN CONTROL AND WOULD IT EFFECT HER PERFORMANCE AS A VOLUNTEER, OR COULD SHE SET THAT ASIDE WHILE ON CAMPUS AND DOWNPLAY THE POSTS A BIT AS CHILDREN DO NOT NEED TO KNOW WHICH PARENTS CARRY CONCEALED WEAPONS. THE KNOWLEDGE MAY BECOME A THREAT IF THE WRONG STUDENT NEEDED A WEAPON HER HOUSE, CAR AND PROPERTY WOULD BE THE TARGETED PLACE TO OBTAIN IT, AND THEY WOULD USE THAT KNOWLEDGE BECAUSE OF THE MOTHERS POST. I RESPECT OTHER PARTIES VIEWS, IN MY OPINION WE DO NOT NEED TO ADVERTISE OUR GUNS TO SCHOOL CHILDREN THEN CALL OUR SELVES ROLL MODELS EVEN IF OUR KIDS HAVE SPECIAL NEEDS OR NOT WHICH IS ALSO MENTIONED TO GIVE THE MOTHER A SYMPATHY CARD, DISGRACEFUL ALL THE WAY AROUND THAT NOONE SEES THE SIDE OF THIS SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR1*?*1 hour ago

I remember reading this book and I cried through most of it. I cried for Michelle. Such a sad story but I never understood how the jury couldn't find her guilty. Kent's background doesn't exclude her from the crime. Sure she may have been a battered woman but no mother could go over forty years living her life happily as if she never had a daughter. A sweet innocent three year old girl like really? N her brother said he remembered her coming into the room asking him to hide her...she was scared of someone. I truly believe her mother was involved in her death n the girl posing as Michelle now is a lie...otherwise the father wouldn't have still been missing his little girl

Thread Information