Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MDS vBulletin Forum to Replace Current SMF Forum - Feeler

mydeathspace

MDS vBulletin Forum to Replace Current SMF Forum - Feeler

This is just a feeler thread to see if anyone is familiar with vBulletin forums.

http://www.vbulletin.com/

Our current forum software is SMF (and free) which means it isn't the best. The search feature on the forum often doesn't work and it's a HUGE bandwidth suck.

If any of you are familiar with vBulletin forums, you'll know that there are a lot more features and it is a lot more customizable. If you are familiar, please let us know why you like vBulletin, why you don't like it, etc.

Check out the screenshots page:  http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=screenshots

One thing we've discovered so far in our initial research is that we SHOULD be able to transfer everything from the current forum over to the new forum and the only draw back would be that you will need to change your password (and have a valid email address on file to do so).

Any sort of feedback is greatly appreciated and like I said, this is just a feeler. (I know how people hate change and are scared to lose their post counts.  :lol: )

Re: MDS vBulletin Forum to Replace Current SMF Forum - Feeler

The other forum I use most is VB and they're always having problems. Now it could be due to incompetence (the owner got divorced, her ex used to do all the admin/tech work on the board but she got the board in the divorce) but I don't think it is.  :lol:
    Now on the pro side, the search almost *never* bombs out and I'm sure that alone would be a huge plus for a lot of people.

Were there some other additions that you were particularly interested in from VB, or just throwing out that it can be customized more in general?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

If we lost post count, does that mean we lose karma/smites, too?  :-P
    Also, what about our smileys?

I really, really HATE change.  :2huh: I remember the time IE wasn't working for me, and I had to switch to Firefox.  

mydeathspace

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=26814.msg1708778#msg1708778 date=1283549640]
    If we lost post count, does that mean we lose karma/smites, too?  :-P
    Also, what about our smileys?
    [/quote]

You shouldn't lose post counts, karmas/smites, or smileys.

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=26814.msg1708793#msg1708793 date=1283551558]
    You shouldn't lose post counts, karmas/smites, or smileys.
    [/quote]

Ok, next question: Why buy the cow, when you get the milk for free?

mydeathspace

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=26814.msg1708799#msg1708799 date=1283552262]

[/quote]

It's better software overall. They have tech support if stuff breaks I believe. It's also more interactive i.e.- cooler profiles. And you can "like" specific posts to FB. There are tons of other features, I just haven't looked through them all.

Southern Undertaker Key West Digger's Avatar

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=26814.msg1708775#msg1708775 date=1283549150]
    This is just a feeler thread to see if anyone is familiar with vBulletin forums.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/
    Our current forum software is SMF (and free) which means it isn't the best. The search feature on the forum often doesn't work and it's a HUGE bandwidth suck.
    [/quote]
    [quote author=GothaBella link=topic=26814.msg1708799#msg1708799 date=1283552262]
    [/quote]What does this mean as far as cost to the members? As you stated, free is not always the best and there is always a charge associated with upgrade.

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=26814.msg1708822#msg1708822 date=1283554287]
    It's better software overall. They have tech support if stuff breaks I believe. It's also more interactive i.e.- cooler profiles. And you can "like" specific posts to FB. There are tons of other features, I just haven't looked through them all.
    [/quote]

:2sad: I resist change. In the end, I usually find out that it's better.

Change, we all resist change. Every college I've attended stressed change. It's a part of life and the secret is adapting to it.

Yes. It must be changed. This isn't 2006 anymore. Time to get with the now.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Whatever. Sounds good. The only thing that sucks is it will take me forever to find things and adjust, I just know it. I really am the type of guy who has to ask his wife where everything is cos he has no idea. So Ladies? You've been warned :oops:

Hey if the content isn't lost then I say go for it.

[quote author=Key West Digger link=topic=26814.msg1708823#msg1708823 date=1283554912]
    What does this mean as far as cost to the members? As you stated, free is not always the best and there is always a charge associated with upgrade.
    [/quote]
    I second KWD's inquiry.

And this:
    Multi-user system with unlimited roles and permissions
    Does this mean you can have multi-level modding - like give someone permissions to clean up spam, merge articles, etc. but not to ban?  Also, it looks like you can assign certain people to mod certain sections or boards (i.e. NSFW, Article Discussion, etc.).

And I like this:
    Video Embedding (YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu, Dailymotion, Google, Metacafe) - New in 4.0
    Right now it seems we can only post YouTube vids (or at least that's all I can figure out).  It'd be nice to be able to post a vid from anywhere, like a news site.

And finally (for now), this is pretty cool
    Language Manager - allows you to easily translate your forums in any language
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

[quote author=strmmrgrrl link=topic=26814.msg1708836#msg1708836 date=1283556017]

And this:Does this mean you can have multi-level modding - like give someone permissions to clean up spam, merge articles, etc. but not to ban?  Also, it looks like you can assign certain people to mod certain sections or boards (i.e. NSFW, Article Discussion, etc.).

[/quote]

That would be cool. Like there could be a mini mod just for TV, Music and Movies and one for NSFW etc etc..

I request to be promoted to a Mod, or junior mod once this move is made.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=26814.msg1708843#msg1708843 date=1283556545]
    [/quote]

Just think. We could finally have a Hot Girl Picture Thread Mod  :lol:

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=26814.msg1708843#msg1708843 date=1283556545]
    [/quote]Lord help us!

[size=4pt]j/k had to say that....[/size]

[quote author=yellowCake1 link=topic=26814.msg1708833#msg1708833 date=1283555822]
    Whatever. Sounds good. The only thing that sucks is it will take me forever to find things and adjust, I just know it. I really am the type of guy who has to ask his wife where everything is cos he has no idea. So Ladies? You've been warned :oops:
    [/quote]

Just the opposite here. My husband is nesting for winter, and upsetting my apple cart.  

Oh, and 23 Guests are viewing this topic. Make an account, or gfto.

[quote author=yellowCake1 link=topic=26814.msg1708841#msg1708841 date=1283556492]
    That would be cool. Like there could be a mini mod just for TV, Music and Movies and one for NSFW etc etc..
    [/quote]
    That's how I've seen it done on other forums and it just seems like a great idea - 4 or 5 people wouldn't be bogged down by a bajillion threads to oversee and you could even "partner up" mods - a SuperMod to handle bandings, etc. and one to handle spam and both could move and merge threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

I hate change.

But having the chance to have a higher post count then Neener or Ron? Totally worth it.

I have no problem with the current search function... Using google works waaaay better then most message boards search function where it doesnt seem to ever find the most relevant topic.

If we lose our karma, who will we know to like and who to hate? It will be anarchy!

I forgot to hit send before I left for a few hours: Warning - while you were typing 16 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. So, FYI: I didn't read the thread.

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=26814.msg1708853#msg1708853 date=1283558038]
    I hate change.

But having the chance to have a higher post count then Neener or Ron? Totally worth it.

I have no problem with the current search function... Using google works waaaay better then most message boards search function where it doesnt seem to ever find the most relevant topic.

If we lose our karma, who will we know to like and who to hate? It will be anarchy!

I forgot to hit send before I left for a few hours: Warning - while you were typing 16 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. So, FYI: I didn't read the thread.

[/quote]

There are TWO search boxes.  Use the on at the top, on the right if you want one that works.  :x

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=26814.msg1708855#msg1708855 date=1283558188]

There are TWO search boxes.  Use the on at the top, on the right if you want one that works.  :x
    [/quote]

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You're right. I had that section minimized and didn't even realize it. I just thought they killed that broken search box and replaced it with the Google. :lol:

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=26814.msg1708853#msg1708853 date=1283558038]
    I hate change.

[/quote]

Not losing posts or karma, so the only way you're going to get a higher post count than someone is to post more than them. 

Oh, and

I'm not very adaptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=26814.msg1708857#msg1708857 date=1283558471]

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You're right. I had that section minimized and didn't even realize it. I just thought they killed that broken search box and replaced it with the Google. :lol:
    [/quote]

I certainly didn't mean to come across as bitchy. I just freak at the thought of change.

and what DS said

All the while, my husband is purging our furniture.  and 

The other search works, too, if you don't try to search the whole board. Just check the boards you think what you're looking for might be in. It's not that tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Thread Information