Thread: Facebook users 'are insecure, narcissistic and have low self-esteem'

Senior Member A Midnight Dreary's Avatar

Facebook users 'are insecure, narcissistic and have low self-esteem'

Using Facebook is the online equivalent of staring at yourself in the mirror, according to a study.

Those who spent more time updating their profile on the social networking site were more likely to be narcissists, said researchers.

Facebook provides an ideal setting for narcissists to monitor their appearance and how many ‘friends’ they have, the study said, as it allows them to thrive on ‘shallow’ relationships while avoiding genuine warmth and empathy.

They also tend to use the site for promoting themselves to friends or people they would like to meet, the study concluded.

Researcher Soraya Mehdizadeh from York University in Canada asked 100 students, 50 male and 50 female, aged between 18 and 25 about their Facebook habits.

They all took psychology tests to measure their levels of narcissism, which the study defined as ‘a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and an exaggerated sense of self-importance’.

Those who scored higher on the narcissism test checked their Facebook pages more often each day than those who did not.

There was also a difference between men and women – men generally promoted themselves by written posts on their Facebook page while women tended to carefully select the pictures in their profile.

The findings, published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behaviour And Social Networking, also suggested that those with low self-esteem also checked their Facebook pages more regularly than normal.

This may not be altogether surprising as it is widely thought, however contradictory it may appear, that narcissism is linked to a deep-rooted lack of self-esteem.

Miss Mehdizadeh admitted that not everyone would appreciate her findings.

She said: ‘I think people get sort of defensive about it – like, “I don’t use my Facebook for that reason” – because it’s a label that you don’t want to be slapped with.’

Facebook has more than 500million users worldwide and is the world’s biggest social networking website, but it has been involved in a number of controversies.

A study earlier this week showed that the grades of students who use Facebook while they study, even if it is only on in the background, are 20 per cent lower on average than those of non-users.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1310230/Facebook-users-narcissistic-insecure-low-self-esteem.html#ixzz0z8Nh1MOk

Re: Facebook users 'are insecure, narcissistic and have low self-esteem'

As someone that's totally hooked on facebook, I get this. Completely. Yep.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

This is news? :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I feel left out of the article.  As a facebook user who visits hers once a week to check up on her daughter. Where do I fit?  Low self esteem or an ego the size of Texas?  I am so confused as to what the article is telling me I am.

:lol:
    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=26897.msg1712149#msg1712149 date=1284129484]
    This is news? :lol:
    [/quote]

My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

Facebook users 'are insecure, narcissistic and have low self-esteem' . . . i dont care :D

I just read about this and I agree. FB started as a place to reconnect, but once they made it more like twitter etc., I have noticed the huge surge in those who need tons of attention. Where as in the past with a myspace blog one day bad, next day good, the FB tend to post "OMG life is awesome" one status update with 10 minutes later they are falling apart in their next update. I have noticed people that I know in real life who are insecure tend to really update often and with things that will draw them attention. You will notice they will only answer a person if it brings more attention for their grandiose behaviors. It used to really bug me, now I rarely log on and when I do I have pretty much all of the attention seekers on ignore.

I originally got a facebook because everyone in high school had one and were more likely to respond to a comment then a text (sad I know). Then after I moved I used it as a way to communicate with people because once again they respond better to a comment then a text. Now it's all about keeping track of people & updating them on my wedding. But this study is no news to me.

[quote author=Rhythmisasadist link=topic=26897.msg1732556#msg1732556 date=1286523391]
    I originally got a facebook because everyone in high school had one and were more likely to respond to a comment then a text (sad I know). Then after I moved I used it as a way to communicate with people because once again they respond better to a comment then a text. Now it's all about keeping track of people & updating them on my wedding. But this study is no news to me.
    [/quote]

Same here.  Since I started highschool I have always tried to keep as much distance as possible between my family and myself.  Then after graduation I started moving around a lot so I made mine to add highschool friends and family.  I have maybe 3 or 4 people I have never really met on mine. (Maybe a few more) but I generally will not add people I do not know very well.  I've had lots of friend requests from people who personally know someone on my own friend list but I just deny the request.  I like being able to get on there and see pics of my nieces and nephews and my own daughter when she is with her dad.

I did play that stupid zooville game when I ended up in Oklahoma at my aunt's and sister's houses while my mom was really sick and passed away.  I added tons of people just to be able to actually do stuff in zooville.  Activities were limited since we were afraid to leave the house in the event mom did pass while we were out so it's literally all I was able to do.  I deleted them all as soon as I was back home though lol.

[quote author=Tikaraa link=topic=26897.msg1734363#msg1734363 date=1286795734]
    Same here.  Since I started highschool I have always tried to keep as much distance as possible between my family and myself.  Then after graduation I started moving around a lot so I made mine to add highschool friends and family.  I have maybe 3 or 4 people I have never really met on mine. (Maybe a few more) but I generally will not add people I do not know very well.  I've had lots of friend requests from people who personally know someone on my own friend list but I just deny the request.  I like being able to get on there and see pics of my nieces and nephews and my own daughter when she is with her dad.

I did play that stupid zooville game when I ended up in Oklahoma at my aunt's and sister's houses while my mom was really sick and passed away.  I added tons of people just to be able to actually do stuff in zooville.  Activities were limited since we were afraid to leave the house in the event mom did pass while we were out so it's literally all I was able to do.  I deleted them all as soon as I was back home though lol.
    [/quote]

My fiance's friends will try to add me & so will his sister's friends. But I generally have met them so it's all good. I think I didn't meet like one of them but then I ended up becoming friends with her and meeting up with her when she came in the area.

[quote author=Rhythmisasadist link=topic=26897.msg1734370#msg1734370 date=1286796453]
    My fiance's friends will try to add me & so will his sister's friends. But I generally have met them so it's all good. I think I didn't meet like one of them but then I ended up becoming friends with her and meeting up with her when she came in the area.
    [/quote]

Ah.  I would rather meet with them and get to know them first.  David introduced me to his friends.  One was a total douche, one was cool but we didn't really hit it off friend wise but his friend Sam has been really cool to me.  I added Sam to my FB.  Then Sam got married and his wife is cool until you make her mad then she is just batshit crazy.  I like hanging out with her but as soon as she goes crazy banshee lady on anyone I just tell her to shut up or I just leave.  I don't want to log into FB everyday to read her bulletins in her screaming freak out voice.  I'll shoot myself.

I'll admit to the low self-esteem part, and I guess I'm a bit insecure... but I'm far from a narcissist  :lol: And I'm on FB *a lot*. In fact, I usually forget to log out or close the window and probably show up at least as idle most of the day, on most days of the week.  :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

[quote author=Feetprints link=topic=26897.msg1734445#msg1734445 date=1286813217]
    I usually forget to log out or close the window and probably show up at least as idle most of the day, on most days of the week.  :lol:
    [/quote]

:lol: I do that on here.  I always forget to close the window or log out when I go to the store or work or do house cleaning.

If I don't talk to you in 20+ years since high school I don't want to. If you are my child's preK director or gymnastics teacher and I don't mix with you outside of these realms, I don't want to. If you work with my husband --- I don't mix our worlds, so don't ask me to be your friend b/c I don't care about you. Hmm..wonder why my friend number is so low.

My friend number is low because I talk about how an ant put on spelunking gear and dove into my ass crack on an apparent suicide mission. :D

And you can ask the poor crazy bastards from here that friended me if I'm lying or not.

Edit: Also - I am teh unknown quantity! Fears me! >:D :cue canned evil laughter:

Thread Information