Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bethany Storro (28) admitted her claim of being attacked by acid was a hoax

Bethany Storro (28) admitted her claim of being attacked by acid was a hoax

VANCOUVER -- A Vancouver woman was in serious condition Tuesday morning after an assailant threw an acidic liquid on her face Monday evening.

Bethany Storro, 28, was taken to the burn center of Legacy Emanuel,  according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Her mother Nancy Neuwelt said her daughter was near Esther Short Park, about 8th and Columbia, around 7:30 p.m. She was getting something out of the passenger side of her car before heading into a Starbucks.

A woman walked up to her and said "hey pretty girl, do you want to drink this." The woman threw the liquid onto her face and ran off, Neuwelt said.

Police said she was wearing sunglasses that prevented the liquid from directly hitting her eyes. Neuwelt said her daughter had purchased them a few  hours earlier,  and that it was "the hand of God protecting her eyes. She would have been blind."

Storro stumbled about in pain and fell to the ground screaming. A passerby called police using Storro's cellphone.

Neuwelt called the attack "an act of evil."

"Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers," Bethany said in a statement Tuesday. "I appreciate all of the well wishes being sent my way.  I do ask, if anyone should know the woman who assaulted me, please contact the Vancouver Police."

Police said the attacker was an African-American woman. Neuwelt said her daughter described the suspect as having slicked-back hair in a ponytail and was wearing a green top and khaki pants.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call the Vancouver Police Tip Line at (360) 487-7399.
    http://www.kgw.com/news/Acidic-liquid-thrown-on-Vancouver-womans-face-101887273.html

Some women go to the spa when they feel down, others throw acid at those prettier then them. :lol:

Re: Bethany Storro (28) admitted her claim of being attacked by acid was a hoax

Her mom looks really young. Too bad the hand of god didn't just whack the idiot who threw the acid on her.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

That park is always full of lunatics. A few years ago someone murdered a homeless woman in the public restroom right in the middle of the park.

Poor lady, that must of felt like hell.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420a...ml?source=mypi

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- A 28-year-old Vancouver woman severely burned when another woman threw an acid-like liquid in her face is listed in serious condition in the burn center of a Portland, Ore., hospital.

Nancy Neuwelt is the mother of the injured woman, Bethany Storro. Neuwelt tells The Oregonian her daughter had purchased a pair of sunglasses shortly before the Monday evening attack and that decision may have saved her eyesight. Still, her family says her face will take months to heal. Neuwelt says her daughter was getting something out of her car in downtown Vancouver when a young woman walked up, said "Hey pretty girl, do you want to drink this?" and tossed a cup of liquid in Storro's face.

Vancouver police spokeswoman Kim Kapp says doctors are trying to determine what kind of material caused Storro's facial burns. Police are also testing the liquid to see what it is.

---

Information from The Oregonian, The Columbian

her facebook :: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...35&ref=sgm
    "it's like a dream catcher turned into a vortex and sucked her head right up its asshole."

Has anyone seen "My Beautiful Face"?

It's about Katie Piper, a British model who was disfigured after an ex boyfriend sent a goon to throw acid in her face.  It made me 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FWAibhxxj4

[quote author=Kristinella link=topic=26771.msg1707205#msg1707205 date=1283323344]
    Has anyone seen "My Beautiful Face"?

It's about Katie Piper, a British model who was disfigured after an ex boyfriend sent a goon to throw acid in her face.  It made me 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FWAibhxxj4
    [/quote]

Yeah, I saw that last year or so. It's just so cruel, I can't believe anyone could ever do this to anybody. Although I'm quite dissatisfied with my looks, I'd never ever throw something like acid on beautiful women!! That's so poor!! 

VANCOUVER -- A Vancouver woman was upgraded to fair condition Wednesday and faces surgery for injuries from an attack Monday evening in which an assailant threw an acidic liquid on her face.

Bethany Storro, 28, was taken to the burn center of Legacy Emanuel after the attack,  according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Her mother Nancy Neuwelt said her daughter was near Esther Short Park, about 8th and Columbia, around 7:30 p.m. She was getting something out of the passenger side of her car before heading into a Starbucks.

A woman walked up to her and said "hey pretty girl, do you want to drink this." The woman threw the liquid onto her face and ran off, Neuwelt said.

Police said she was wearing sunglasses that prevented the liquid from directly hitting her eyes. Neuwelt said her daughter had purchased them a few  hours earlier,  and that it was "the hand of God protecting her eyes. She would have been blind."

Storro stumbled about in pain and fell to the ground screaming. A passerby called police using Storro's cellphone.

Neuwelt called the attack "an act of evil."

"Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers," Bethany said in a statement Tuesday. "I appreciate all of the well wishes being sent my way.  I do ask, if anyone should know the woman who assaulted me, please contact the Vancouver Police."

Her brother Abraham Neuwelt posted this on his Facebook page:

"I am so disgusted with society right now! Yesterday my little sister got some form of acid thrown into her face while walking through downtown Vancouver, WA. She is currently in the hospital with severe burns and could face permanent damage. This incident was totally unprovoked and malicious in nature. If you belie...ve in prayer, now is the time to ask for a full recovery and that the assailant be brought to justice! I love you Beese!!"

Police said the attacker was an African-American woman. Neuwelt said her daughter described the suspect as having slicked-back hair in a ponytail and was wearing a green top and khaki pants.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call the Vancouver Police Tip Line at (360) 487-7399.
    http://www.kgw.com/news/Acidic-liquid-thrown-on-Vancouver-womans-face-101887273.html

This is just so shitty. And what a horribly scary thing to happen to you randomly. The levels of depravity that some human beings are capable of is unfathomable to me. :2upset:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

Excerpts from the latest article (too lazy to post full thing, They insist on putting links in the middle :x)

A remarkably upbeat Bethany Storro described Thursday how a woman threw acid on her face, the pain it created, and the  process of recovery.

Storro, 28, said she knew right away that the liquid was noxious. She looked down and saw her clothes start to dissolve, then heard the skin on her face "bubbling and sizzling."

Surgery Wednesday meant a face completely covered with bandages as she spoke to reporters at Legacy Emanuel.

That Monday, Storro said she had just picked up a paycheck and decided to buy a pair of sunglasses, even though she doesn't favor wearing them.

"For some reason I had this feeling that I needed to go buy some sunglasses," she said. They ultimately saved the vision of a woman who has been partially deaf since childhood. "That's Jesus for sure," she said.

"To be hard of hearing and blind.  That would drive them crazy," she said, laughing while motioning to her parents on either side of her.

mydeathspace

How do they not have the attacker on surveillance? It looks like a fairly busy area.

I blame Starbucks even though I own stock.  

mydeathspace

Also, everyone needs to see the movie Crazy Love.

Synopsis: Sixteen years after Linda Riss has acid thrown in her face by Burt Pagach, the couple marry.

http://www.crazylovefilm.com/

It just happened again to another woman.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2010/09/07/20100907mesa-acid-attack-suspect0908.html

Here are both sketches of both of the recent attackers.  Any similarities  :?

*Both had pony tails and medium dark skin tones.

Edit*  I found that there were 3 recent attacks in all.  The first occurred July 30th in Puyallup, Washington and the attacker was a male.http://www.theolympian.com/2010/08/0...#ixzz0ycQpEq12

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Interesting comments on The Oregonian, these in particular caught my attention:

osuengineer September 02, 2010 at 8:40PM
    Follow

Something about this story strikes me as extremely suspicious. As much as I hate to question someone in her situation, I just don't buy her story.

First, random, unprovoked stranger on stranger violence of this magnitude without a robbery or sexual motive is extremely rare. Not that it couldn't or doesn't happen, but really almost all violent assaults come out of either robberies, rapes, fights (including both immediate and ongoing disputes such as jealousy, gang turf wars, workplace retaliation) or domestic violence. A truly random stranger assault like this is just so exceedingly rare, that when coupled with the truly bizarre method of attack used in the assault, it becomes almost totally implausible on its face (i.e. either one of those things is rare, but together? come on...)

And as implausible as it is to start with, there's even more that at least has to raise questions. This was alleged to happen at 7:40 near, a Starbucks. I don't know the area myself but if it's like many others, it's almost impossible to believe someone could walk up at that time of the evening near busy stores and streets (a shopping district, as the police called it) and pull this off without being seen by anyone.

It's even more difficult to imagine when you assume the victim would be screaming in agony, while the assailant would have to be sprinting off (again attracting even more attention to herself -- if she tried to just walk away I'd presume the victim would be screaming at someone to stop her -- either way, how does she get away without being seen?).

(As an aside, I note the story is extremely vague about what happened after the alleged attack - did she call 911? did someone walk by and help her? There's an amazing amount of detail about the attacker, but none about how she was found or got to the hospital. Seems like it would be an important part of the story. )

And speaking of all that detail -- seems also strange that a stranger could come up that fast, douse you with acid and yet you'd have time and presence of mind to notice that not only was she not wearing makeup but had thee piercings in the top of her ear. She also got clothing, height, and hairstyle. Sounds easy if you have time, but in reality (and in studies) most eyewitnesses to a stressful encounter don't get much detail because of how fast and unexpectedly everything happens. Throw in burning acid and sunglasses and her exquisite eye for detail is another red flag of falsehood. (Even the alleged quote said by the attacker sounds a bit camp. "Hey pretty girl, you want a drink of this?" Sounds like something from a bad screenplay.)

Also, at 7:40, while it's still daylight enough for everyone to see you, it's only a few minutes before sunset this time of year meaning there would be no direct sunlight on you. Why was she wearing sunglasses (especially while getting something in her car -- it's hard enough to find things in your car with no direct sunlight but damn near impossible to see anything in a car at sunset with sunglasses on). Again, it's not that people never wear sunglasses at that time, or even at night, but again, it's another of several things, that seems very unlikely rare and/or just a bit strange.

I have no idea what really happened here, but something tells me she's not telling the truth about it. I also have no idea why she'd lie about what really happened, but I'd be willing to bet no assailant (as described) is ever found and the police will end up looking more closely at her and her story before this is over.

nancydrew September 06, 2010 at 10:30AM
    Follow

I agree with you; this story is extremely fishy. Bethany is hard of hearing and reads lips, yet clearly heard what this stranger said to her? Crowded street near Starbucks, but no witnesses? Wearing sunglasses as the sun goes down when she says she never wears sunglasses? Able to give clear details about a stranger's outfit despite the sunglasses? No acid splashed on the car? Why was she standing on the passenger side of the car to get something out, rather than just getting it out while she was in the car? What was she getting out of the car that she needed to bring into Starbucks? And why was she wearing sunglasses while looking through her car? How is the acid splash so controlled and perfectly centered on her face? Look at pictures of other splashing victims; the hit is always worse on one side, as you naturally flinch away from the acid.
    This case doesn't add up. I hope this troubled girl, who according to her parents recently moved home to 'make a fresh start' gets the physical and emotional help she needs.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2010/09/woman_burned_acid_in_vancouver_she_will_not_allow_ attack_to_wreck_my_life/8000080/comments-4.html

Anyone else think this story is a bit "off"?
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Well, then.    Good find, NQ.

They just have that same look in their eye...   8-)

Another Oregonian commenter:
    jeanschild September 06, 2010 at 7:23PM
    Follow

Inconsistencies and coincidences that have some people asking hard questions about this attack: the doctor, in a Columbian article, reports that no acid touched her hair, neck, or the inside of her mouth, yet it was on her face and blouse. If it was thrown hastily, you would think there would be acid spatter in a broader area.

She needed to read the lips of reporters for the news conference, but she did not have any trouble hearing what was said to her by the attacker through sun glasses and street noise.

The attack occured at one of the busiest commercial intersections in downtown Vancouver, yet there were no eye witnesses.

She never wears sunglasses, but purchased a pair right before the attack and was coincidentally wearing them after 7 pm.

Her willingness to be photographed and to attend a press conference is not the usual behavior of a person who has just suffered a viscious attack, as she has.

Lots of things do not add up and not many people are seeing this. You can better believe that LE is.
    I am now looking for the story this poster referenced in The Columbian.

Here is her Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1231848535

Her Brother's (his wall is viewable):

http://www.facebook.com/yoabro?v=wall&ref=search
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Whoa, they do have the same look.

:2shocked: The plot thickens

What could she gain by faking this? Attention?
    There has to be less painful ways :lol:

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=26771.msg1710773#msg1710773 date=1283960265]
    :2shocked: The plot thickens

What could she gain by faking this? Attention?
    There has to be less painful ways :lol:
    [/quote]

Munchausen's Syndrome  

ETA:  Maybe this, too:

How to help:

Donations can be made to the “Bethany Joy Storro” account, established by Storro's co-workers at Safeway, at any Riverview Community Bank branch. Riverview has locations in Camas, Hazel Dell, Orchards, Salmon Creek, east Vancouver, downtown Vancouver and Washougal.
    And this:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Send-hugs-to-Bethany-Storro/151534298207196

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=26771.msg1710774#msg1710774 date=1283960425]
    Munchausen's Syndrome  

And this:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Send-hugs-to-Bethany-Storro/151534298207196

[/quote]

Ah yes, definitely a possibility she was seeking attention/sympathy. Especially after someone on those message boards mentioned it was weird she wanted to hold a press conference so soon after her attack

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=26771.msg1710768#msg1710768 date=1283960083]

They just have that same look in their eye...   8-)

[/quote]

:2huh:

Good eye. They certainly do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

Found the article quoting the doctor in The Columbian:

 The incident happened at about 7:15 p.m. Monday as Storro stood outside the passenger side of her car, planning to get some coffee at the Starbucks across the street from Esther Short Park.

Storro was wearing a pair of sunglasses she bought shortly before the attack that are being credited with protecting her eyes.

“That could have been a very bad injury,” Eshraghi said.

The doctor said a drop of the substance recovered from Storro’s clothing has tested positive as sulfuric or hydrochloric acid. The cup contained enough acid to cover her whole face, he said. The liquid did not come into contact with the inside of her mouth, her hair or neck.
    You can read the entire article here:
    http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/sep/01/victim-acid-attack-undergo-surgery/

From her newly created "Public" Facebook:

Bethany Storro  Update!! I am at home now. Still wearing the white bandages around my face, but not a mummy! There is going to be a fund-raiser for me at Anytime Fitness in Downtown Vancouver on Friday the 10th from 6pm to 8pm. There will be a self-defense class for women, too! I can't believe the support, prayers, and love!
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...all&ref=mf

I don't know if I could tell everyone there is a fundraiser for my benefit.  Just... weird.  :|

Okay, I am finished.  I swear I have nothing against this girl - it just has my hinky-meter up.

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=26771.msg1710791#msg1710791 date=1283962750]
    Okay, I am finished.  I swear I have nothing against this girl - it just has my hinky-meter up.
    [/quote]

:lol: Its not like your out to get her, these are such good points!
    I thought it was weird from the beginning she was wearing sunglasses in the evening when she usually never wears them.
    The part about her needing to read lips, yet hearing the woman call out to her is fishy, but more-so the fact that no acid was splashed on the car, her hair or in her mouth.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=26771.msg1710783#msg1710783 date=1283962175]
    Ah yes, definitely a possibility she was seeking attention/sympathy. Especially after someone on those message boards mentioned it was weird she wanted to hold a press conference so soon after her attack
    [/quote]
    Most people are so vain they'd have to be dragged out kicking and screaming for a press conference after an assault like this.

And I think she's pretty cute, so she's probably a nutter. :2upset:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=26771.msg1710805#msg1710805 date=1283964422]
    And I think she's pretty cute, so she's probably a nutter. :2upset:
    [/quote]

:lol: Is your crazy/sexy radar going off as you read this??

Thread Information