Thread: Sharrel Blankenbaker (63) was shot to death saving granddaughter from kidnapping

Senior Member A Midnight Dreary's Avatar

Sharrel Blankenbaker (63) was shot to death saving granddaughter from kidnapping

RAMONA — Eighth-grader Cassidy Blankenbaker always knew her grandmother was selfless.

Now she can add brave and heroic to the list of loving attributes to remember her by.

Sharrel Blankenbaker, 63, sacrificed her life last week when she stood up to an armed kidnapper who was pulling Cassidy into his truck at an Amarillo, Texas, gas station.

The gunman fired a shot, striking the grandmother in the lung.

The distraction was enough for 12-year-old Cassidy to escape his strong grip, but her grandma died shortly after from the gunshot wound.

“I think she’d have done that for anyone,” Cassidy recalled Thursday from her Ramona home. “She was just that kind of person.”

Cassidy, a student at Olive Peirce Middle School, had just flown into Amarillo on Aug. 3 along with her 16-year-old brother, Dylan. They were there for their annual summer visit with grandma, who ran a paint contractor business with her husband of 25 years, Dale.

They were looking forward to gardening and getting another taste of grandma’s fried chicken, “the best chicken in the world,” Cassidy said.

Their grandmother picked them up from the airport, with their 5-year-old cousin in tow, and the foursome eventually headed to their grandparents’ home in Felt, Okla., two hours away.

First, they stopped at a Love’s truckstop and store for drinks and a bathroom break. It was when they were walking back to their car that an overweight man in a cowboy hat and boots jumped out of his pickup and latched onto Cassidy’s wrist.

“He pointed a gun at me and told me, ‘Get in my truck.’ My grandma wouldn’t let him,” Cassidy said.

Her grandmother got in between them, yelling at the man to get away.

“He shot her, and I had gotten my arm loose from him. And I started running away, but he chased me,” Cassidy said.

Her brother, who had already carried his younger cousin to safety, came back for Cassidy. They ducked behind the counter of the gas station.

Then another man came in, frantically looking for his daughter.

The kidnapper had her. He had forced her into his pickup as she was walking along the road with a friend.

After relaying a description of the truck to 911, Potter County sheriff’s deputies pulled over Gary Don Carner, 58, who died in an exchange of gunfire. His 11-year-old captive was able to flee from the pickup and jump into a ditch.

Earlier that night, Carner had failed in attempts to kidnap two women.

On Saturday, Cassidy spoke at her grandmother’s funeral in Oklahoma. She ended the eulogy with a memory of a storm that hit right after the shooting, and a brilliant double rainbow that appeared in the sky.

“I said, ‘Whenever you see a rainbow, think of my grandma,’ ” she said.

Blankenbaker also leaves behind three sons and eight grandchildren.

“I think my grandma is the greatest person in the world. It didn’t surprise me that she did that, but I’m really grateful she did.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/12/ramona-girl-saved-kidnapping-grandmother-dies/

RIP Mrs. Blankenbaker  

Re: Sharrel Blankenbaker (63) was shot to death saving granddaughter from kidnap

Wow  She saved the other little girl too. What a story.

Re: Sharrel Blankenbaker (63) was shot to death saving granddaughter from kidnapping

That grandma was so brave :(  She saved 2 little girls that day.  Her family should be so proud of her.

I hope that bastard rots in hell for what he did.

Re: Sharrel Blankenbaker (63) was shot to death saving granddaughter from kidnapping

Wow.  This story makes me so sad.  I have goosebumps all over me.  What a heroic woman to stand up in such a horrifying situation. 

RIP Grandma

This story literally brought tears to my eyes. It's definitely something my own grandma would have done for me or any of her other grandchildren.

RIP Grandma Blankenbaker 

The man who killed her, he apparently had no criminal history:

From a witness: Angel Quezada, who witnessed the shooting and the struggle that led up to it, held Blankenbaker's hand and prayed for her as she lost consciousness. He said the woman's last words were about her grandchildren and protecting them from harm.

Glad he died, too, the fucker.  :x

RIP Sharrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

She truly saved them from a horrifying ordeal.  This man was on a mission of destruction.  He would have destroyed these girls innocence and most likely killed them.  Sharrel stopped all of that with her life and died a hero.  I think she is my hero, also.

What a courageous woman that not even a gun could deter her. 
    RIP Sharrel

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Wow. It's always nice to hear a sad story have a happy ending. Its sad this woman lost her life, but amazing that she could accomplish so much in her final breaths. RIP.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

I just can't believe that this guy tried to pull of such a brazen kidnapping! I mean we always hear about abductions, but usually it's the "your mom is sick get in the car" or "I need help finding my puppy" stuff. Not a gun in your face with demands made. Someone capable of that is a different level of horrifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information