Thread: Jacob Banks (6) dies after being shot in the head by his 8-year-old brother

Jacob Banks (6) dies after being shot in the head by his 8-year-old brother

ELMA, Wash. -- A 6-year-old boy who was shot in the head by his 8-year-old brother died Thursday night at Harborview Medical Center from his gunshot wound, authorities said.

After several days in critical condition, Jacob L. Banks died at about 8:44 p.m. Thursday from the gunshot wound he sustained at his home on August 10.

Deputies and paramedics were called to the Star Lake residence at about 11:30 a.m. on August 10.

Investigators say the brothers had apparently gained access to a .45 caliber pistol kept in the house as the children's mother slept on the living room couch with her one-year-old toddler.

Deputies were initially told by the 8-year-old brother that the victim had been playing with the weapon and had accidentally shot himself.

After investigators analyzed forensic evidence at the scene and interviewed the brother, they were able to conclude the shot actually had been fired by the victim's brother.
    http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/Elma-6-year-old-shot-in-head-dies-100633079.html

Re: Jacob Banks (6) dies after being shot in the head by his 8-year-old brother

How heartbreaking for that whole family! That's one reason we don't keep guns in our home. With an 8 year old, 6 year old and 4 year old running around I just don't feel comfortable with it.

RIP Jacob!

This one weirds me out. I wonder if he lied to avoid getting in trouble for what he had done, or if he lied to see just how much he could get away with. I wonder if he will be charged? I think it depends on which one of those statements is true.

Also, we don't keep guns in our family anymore. Every family we've ever known that owned or kept a gun has some kind of bad history with guns sprouting from it....obviously higher than those without guns in the house. Suicides, accidents, ect.

RIP kiddo

I don't really know about the 'this is why we don't have guns' thing.. maybe this is why people shouldn't have loaded, unlocked, unkept guns. I cannot imagine the guilt that the mother must feel but seriously? My God. How many times can this happen?

The local radio station was discussing this case today.  Apparently, the gun was in a locked safe and the 8 year old got the key from wherever it was kept and unlocked it.  They said in Washington state; children age 10 and under cannot be charged with a crime.

Yikes I wonder how the hell he knew where the key was?

[quote author=WhenSkiesAreGray link=topic=26509.msg1694809#msg1694809 date=1281748567]
    I don't really know about the 'this is why we don't have guns' thing.. maybe this is why people shouldn't have loaded, unlocked, unkept guns. I cannot imagine the guilt that the mother must feel but seriously? My God. How many times can this happen?

[/quote]When I was a kid there were always *always* several hunting rifles behind the door of my grandparents' house. As far as I'm aware, they were kept loaded and ready to go at a moment's notice (they live in a very rural area and sometimes had bears and other animals around) but we never touched them. So out of 9 kids, and 20 or so grandkids that spent a lot of time there, no one messed with them. We were taught that the gun isn't a toy and saw what kind of damage they could do to an animal. We respected them as powerful tool.
    I think education is more of a problem. Most kids these days aren't taught anything about guns. And obviously locking them up isn't working out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

I completely agree with you, 100%. We have several guns in our home - we hunt and shoot for sport. My husband also collects Swiss Army rifles so he has quite the spread. I know I've said more than once on here that we're total hicks, but it's not far from the truth, ha. Our guns are locked and in the attic. Both our boys are still really little so they are completely oblivious. My almost four year old has a toy rifle and my husband is forever telling him not to point that at people, the dog, etc. I wonder if there are statistics somewhere on accidental gun deaths in hunting families vs. deaths in families that just have a handgun in the house for defense.

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=26509.msg1694789#msg1694789 date=1281745171]
    This one weirds me out. I wonder if he lied to avoid getting in trouble for what he had done, or if he lied to see just how much he could get away with. I wonder if he will be charged? I think it depends on which one of those statements is true.

RIP kiddo
    [/quote]

I agree. Scary thought if he lied to see how much he could get away with  :|

[quote author=WhenSkiesAreGray link=topic=26509.msg1695040#msg1695040 date=1281792387]
    I wonder if there are statistics somewhere on accidental gun deaths in hunting families vs. deaths in families that just have a handgun in the house for defense.
    [/quote]
    I would be interested in these statistics too.  RIP Jacob

Kids are so observant, they know where things are hidden.  I remember getting in to my Mom's stash at 4.  I climbed up on a chair in to a tall armoire's top shelf and was busted with white powder all over my hands and mouth. (It was the early 70's  :roll:) The first time I truly lied was when I stole my friends plastic barret because I wanted it dammit!  "I don't know where it is, Grandma"  Grandma tricked me in to confessing, I folded under the pressure.  :lol:

I hope this family can heal from this someday.   RIP Jacob  

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=26509.msg1694789#msg1694789 date=1281745171]

Also, we don't keep guns in our family anymore. Every family we've ever known that owned or kept a gun has some kind of bad history with guns sprouting from it....obviously higher than those without guns in the house. Suicides, accidents, ect.

RIP kiddo
    [/quote]
    :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Feetprints link=topic=26509.msg1694934#msg1694934 date=1281763792]
    When I was a kid there were always *always* several hunting rifles behind the door of my grandparents' house. As far as I'm aware, they were kept loaded and ready to go at a moment's notice (they live in a very rural area and sometimes had bears and other animals around) but we never touched them. So out of 9 kids, and 20 or so grandkids that spent a lot of time there, no one messed with them. We were taught that the gun isn't a toy and saw what kind of damage they could do to an animal. We respected them as powerful tool.
    I think education is more of a problem. Most kids these days aren't taught anything about guns. And obviously locking them up isn't working out so well.
    [/quote]

I do agree with you on this. My ex-husband, who my kids spend every other weekend with, has several hunting rifles and a handgun in his house. He keeps them locked up and out of their reach. He has started teaching the kids about gun safety and has taken my 8 year old to a shooting range. My kids know the dangers of guns and know that they are not to mess with them unless supervised by an adult. I do think education goes a long way.

I don't have guns in my own home because I didn't grow up with guns in the house. Call me paranoid but I always worry that some kind of accident is going to happen.

Im not really into guns but I do own one. However the gun is locked in a lockbox that is high above her reach (she cant even get to it by moving furniture) and it has another lock on the trigger. my husband used to carry it around in his waistband when we lived in the backwoods of fayetteville Tennessee ( if anyone was ever gonna get Texas chainsaw massacre'd, it would be there) but I put a stop to that shit. I said what are we drug dealers? there is no need to carry that shit around when we are at home, youre practically playing with it. I told him I see that shit anywhere other than where its supposed to be, Im selling it!

[quote author=WhenSkiesAreGray link=topic=26509.msg1695040#msg1695040 date=1281792387]
    I completely agree with you, 100%. We have several guns in our home - we hunt and shoot for sport. My husband also collects Swiss Army rifles so he has quite the spread. I know I've said more than once on here that we're total hicks, but it's not far from the truth, ha. Our guns are locked and in the attic. Both our boys are still really little so they are completely oblivious. My almost four year old has a toy rifle and my husband is forever telling him not to point that at people, the dog, etc. I wonder if there are statistics somewhere on accidental gun deaths in hunting families vs. deaths in families that just have a handgun in the house for defense.
    [/quote]

I don't think they break the statistics down since fatal accidents involving firearms are slightly higher than .5% of all fatal accidents.   Falls and poisonings don't make the news though.

Thread Information