* Grandmother has seizure, blacks out
* Granddaughter suffocates beneath her
FAMILY members are mourning the death of a 15-month-old west Michigan girl who apparently suffocated beneath her grandmother when the woman suffered a seizure and blacked out.
Marley Anne Orsted died last Thursday during a visit to her grandmother's home in Goshen, Indiana.
Her grandmother, whose name was not released by the family, had an epileptic seizure and fell on Marley before regaining consciousness about two hours later, the girl's mother told The Grand Rapids Press for a story today.
Authorities believe Marley suffocated because she was not injured in any other way, Stacey Orsted said.
"We are beside ourselves with shock and grief," Mrs Orsted wrote in a message to The Holland Sentinel.
"Just prior she was playing in her play pool and had a nice lunch."
Mrs Marley and her father, Brad Orsted, made the trip from their west Michigan home in Holland south about 152km to Goshen. The girl was to spend a few days with his mother.
They were alone when the older woman had an epileptic seizure and fell on the girl, Stacey Orsted said. The grandmother regained consciousness about two hours later.
"Grandma wanted to show her off to friends and family," Stacey Orsted said.
"She was just so proud of her."
Her husband's mother had lived with epilepsy for about 30 years and managed it with medication, she said.
The grandmother was recovering, but she was distraught about the child's death, Mrs Orsted said.
Along with her parents, Marley is survived by two half-sisters, Mazzy and Chloe Chase. Services were pending.
Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/grans-epileptic-fit-kills-granddaughter/story-e6frfkz0-1225895714826#ixzz0vEB2zBFp