Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Syler Newton (2) was found dead after disappearing from a family campsite

Syler Newton (2) was found dead after disappearing from a family campsite

RIMROCK, Ariz. - A search is on for a 2-year-old boy who went missing in the woods of Yavapai County overnight Sunday.

Syler Newton was camping with his family at the Beaver Creek Campground near Highway 179 off I-17. At some point while everyone was asleep -- he disappeared.

Authorities said the woman who claimed to be Syler's mother is actually in the process of adopting him, so police are trying to locate Syler's biological mother.

Deputies, along with search and rescue personnel, were searching Sunday afternoon for the boy, who was described as having light brown hair, and blue eyes and was wearing only a diaper. He is approximately 3 feet tall and weighs about 20 pounds.

Syler was last seen around midnight inside a tent sleeping with other family members. At about 1:45 a.m., the family discovered he was missing from his sleeping bag. They searched the area briefly and called 911 after failing to locate Syler.

Deputies arrived at the scene and began a preliminary search and interviews with nearby campers.

The Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office has over 50 people involved in the coordinated search effort. A DPS Ranger completed a flyover Sunday morning and is expected to return and search again.

Anyone with information regarding Syler or his whereabouts is asked to call YCSO via 911 or 928-771-3260

Re: Syler Newton (2) was found dead after disappearing from a family campsite

I am terrified to take my 16 month old camping because I am afraid she will escape from the tent!

I hope they find this poor baby soon.

He's been eaten by a[s] bear[/s] elk.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

This is the area he is missing from.  I hope he is found alive and found soon♥

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=26220.msg1680043#msg1680043 date=1280122897]
    He's been eaten by a[s] bear[/s] elk.
    [/quote]

:lol: I'm pretty sure they have them down there, too. Rimrock is only about 45 miles from me. The picture Poppy posted is exactly what it looks like. I was trying to figure out if that picture is facing North. I don't know if you can really see any mountains if you face South from there.

Either way, the land out here is pretty damn unforgiving. I don't get why anyone would want to camp in it.

The mother was on the news. She was hysterical, so I'm sure this wasn't some kind of foul play. Hopefully, he will be found quickly.

The Dingo it ate her baby! j/k

I hope he is found alive and soon as well.

[quote author=Deviant Toaster link=topic=26220.msg1680123#msg1680123 date=1280134397]

[/quote]

I guess she was in the process of adopting him, too.

I can't imagine there is a lot they can do at night out there.  

[quote author=Deviant Toaster link=topic=26220.msg1680123#msg1680123 date=1280134397]

[/quote]
    Sub dingo with coyote and I think that's unfortunately what probably happened.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=26220.msg1680349#msg1680349 date=1280165858]
    Sub dingo with coyote and I think that's unfortunately what probably happened.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I think you're right. There are TONS of them out here. I try to keep my kids in the yard, especially on trash day, because they come out of the woods to feast.  :|

Plus, part of the county is under a Rabies Alert.

It was the 1st reported rabid wildlife attack in Yavapai County this
    year [2010], after several odd incidents in 2009.

In the latest incident Wednesday [16 Jun 2010] evening, a woman who
    lives along North Willard Street in Cottonwood said a fox attacked
    her and bit her hand. She had just caught a javelina in a trap in her
    yard and when it was loaded into her vehicle, she went back into her
    yard. Suddenly, a grey fox jumped over a retaining wall and bit her
    hand, then ran away. She suffered minor lacerations and is undergoing
    rabies shots.

The woman's husband said the fox had been in the area for some time
    and thought it lived in an abandoned house next door. However, it had
    just started acting strangely in the last few days.

When the report came into the police, they suspected the fox was
    rabid because they had received 2 earlier reports of a fox trying
    unsuccessfully to attack people in the area, including a UPS driver
    who fended off the fox with a clipboard, according to state wildlife
    officials and Cottonwood Sgt. Gareth Braxton.

An officer spotted the fox in the vacant home next to the victim's
    home, Cottonwood police said. When the fox leaped onto the retaining
    wall about 15 feet away from the officers, one of the officers shot
    and killed it.

Arizona Game and Fish Department spokesperson Zen Mocarski warned
    people to stay away from wild animals and watch for unusual behavior
    indicative of rabies.

http://www.promedmail.org/pls/otn/f?...0100627.2143,Y

Who were the other family members in his tent? Was the tent zipped? Would a coyote go into a tent and grab a kid, drag it out and eat it without the kid making enough noise to wake people.

I don't think it was a coyote.

The first thing I thought of was this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Meirhofer

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=26220.msg1680358#msg1680358 date=1280166964]
    Who were the other family members in his tent? Was the tent zipped? Would a coyote go into a tent and grab a kid, drag it out and eat it without the kid making enough noise to wake people.

[/quote]
    You've never seen A Cry In The Dark, huh.

A baby can wander. My bro did all the time when he was little. He was like a Houdini baby.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=26220.msg1680358#msg1680358 date=1280166964]

[/quote]

DS, ur so funny sometimes. What probably happened was that he woke up and snuck out, for whatever reason- whether he was confused or knew what he was doing- then he got lost in the dark and was maybe eaten by a coyote.
    A coyote coming into the tent and dragging the kid out without the family waking would be virtually impossible. Unless I was asleep in there. I sleep like the dead.

[quote author=EnigmaticCat link=topic=26220.msg1680360#msg1680360 date=1280167229]
    The first thing I thought of was this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Meirhofer
    [/quote]

me too.  :|

[/quote]

The other people were her two other children, and her mother. The news showed another family member, though.
    Here is a quick video of the news where it shows the mother. The girl they talk to is the adoptive mother's sister.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news...-site-07252010

I don't think it was a coyote, either. Bloodhounds would have found something.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=26220.msg1680361#msg1680361 date=1280167242]

A baby can wander. My bro did all the time when he was little. He was like a Houdini baby.
    [/quote]

I've never seen that, either. I wonder what made them wake up at 1am and notice he was missing.

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=26220.msg1680366#msg1680366 date=1280167324]
    DS, ur so funny sometimes. What probably happened was that he woke up and snuck out, for whatever reason- whether he was confused or knew what he was doing- then he got lost in the dark and was maybe eaten by a coyote.
    A coyote coming into the tent and dragging the kid out without the family waking would be virtually impossible. Unless I was asleep in there. I sleep like the dead.
    [/quote]

I would think the bloodhounds would have found some kind of trail.

They still haven't located the bio mom.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=26220.msg1680361#msg1680361 date=1280167242]

[/quote]

I want to know who was sleeping with him. Tents are a pain in the ass to unzip. I would think he would have at least made some commotion doing that if he was even able to do it.

I did read A Cry In The Dark a long time ago.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=26220.msg1680371#msg1680371 date=1280167491]
    I want to know who was sleeping with him. Tents are a pain in the ass to unzip. I would think he would have at least made some commotion doing that if he was even able to do it.

I did read A Cry In The Dark a long time ago.
    [/quote]

they can be cut open quite easily, however.

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=26220.msg1680373#msg1680373 date=1280167611]
    they can be cut open quite easily, however.
    [/quote]

I'm leaning towards someone who was with them. If only I knew who was with them.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=26220.msg1680379#msg1680379 date=1280167881]
    I'm leaning towards someone who was with them. If only I knew who was with them.
    [/quote]

The video clip said the adoptive mother's two children and a grandmother. HLN (not the local news) identified the chick the interview at the end as the adoptive mother's sister.

There were 25 people at the campsite.

The officer in the clip said they are starting to suspect foul play. Then he said talking to the bio mom is the key.

While I was typing this, I let the 2nd video play in the background. It said they are looking into the 'claims' of the woman that said she was his mother because she isn't. Now they are trying to find out if she is legally trying to adopt him.

Yavapai County search and rescue crews are seeking a 2-year-old Flagstaff boy who disappeared early Sunday while camping with family.

Syler Newton has light-brown hair, blue eyes and was last seen wearing only a diaper. The three-foot-tall, 20-pound toddler was camping with family at the Beaver Creek Campground near Highway 179 off Interstate 17, south of Sedona, said Dwight D'Evelyn, a Yavapai County Sheriff's spokesman.

The boy was camping with his mother, grandmother, 12-year-old sister and 14-year-old brother.

"Syler was last seen around midnight inside a tent while sleeping with other family members," D'Evelyn said.

About 1:45 a.m. Sunday a family member awoke and discovered the boy was missing from his sleeping bag. Family members and other nearby campers searched the immediate area then called 911 about 2:30 a.m., D'Evelyn said. Deputies arrived on scene and searched the area and interviewed nearby campers, but the boy was nowhere to be found.

"It's pretty hot and humid right now," he said. "The terrain and dehydration would be the critical concerns for us." About 50 search and rescue officials are on scene and an Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter searched from the region from above.

Officials are using ATVs and bloodhounds, which tracked the boys scent for a short distance but didn't find the toddler.

Sheriff's detectives are also present to determine whether "there is any evidence of foul play or any criminal aspects of the incident," D'Evelyn said. "That's routine, especially involving a missing 2-year-old. We want to make sure all our bases are covered."

Officials were also checking with local sex offenders in the area.

"We will be up here until we find this young kid," he added.

Anyone with information or knows of Syler's whereabouts is asked to contact the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office at 928-771-3260 or by calling 911.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/07/25/20100725arizona-boy-missing-camping-yavapai0726.html#ixzz0uoX0mY7W

[/quote]

I'm sick, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind too.

Do they know the whereabouts of Terri Horman at that time?

As to why they woke up and noticed him missing at 1 am, I'm not a mom but I wake up with anxiety over my cats sometimes so I imagine it's way worse with a small child.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=26220.msg1680403#msg1680403 date=1280169181]
    As to why they woke up and noticed him missing at 1 am, I'm not a mom but I wake up with anxiety over my cats sometimes so I imagine it's way worse with a small child.

[/quote]

I can understand that. My ex would wake up if the baby moved an inch in his sleep.

Not me. Once I am asleep, I am done for.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=26220.msg1680403#msg1680403 date=1280169181]

[/quote]

I don't question that. But I do think it was a human, not an animal who took him. I had forgotten there were so many people at the campsite. Someone could have easily seen him and known exactly where he was.

Thread Information