Thread: Beth Bentley's burned body was identified 9 years after she went missing

Beth Bentley's burned body was identified 9 years after she went missing

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=122739057758360&ref=ts

http://www.bethismissing.com/

Family and friends of 41-year-old Benedetta "Beth" Bentley are asking for help locating the mother of three who went missing May 23, reports ChicagoBreakingNews.com.

The Woodstock, Ill. woman was reported missing after she failed to return home from a trip to Centralia on May 21.

Bentley was traveling with a friend to visit with other friends, but was scheduled to return to Woodstock alone Sunday evening.

"This is not like Beth at all" - to be out of contact with family and friends for any extended period of time - Angela Montgomery told ChicagoBreakingNews.com. "She's a serial caller, a serial texter."

Bentley was last seen at the Centralia train station where she planned to catch the 6:08 p.m. train to Union Station in Chicago. It is uncertain if Bentley got on the train at that station.

Bentley, who was expected to arrive home in Woodstock, about 60 miles northwest of Chicago, around 10 p.m., was reported missing by her husband Scott on May 24. Bentley has three sons ranging in age from age10 to 21.

Montgomery, who is a family friend, hopes to raise awareness of Bentley's disappearance so someone who may have seen her either at the train station or aboard the train will contact the authorities, says the website.

Bentley is described as 5-foot-6-inches tall and 160 pounds with blond hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a black tank top, and blue denim miniskirt, and carrying a pink and orange overnight Vera Bradley bag.

Re: Beth Bentley - missing since 23 May 2010

This thread hasn't gotten any attention, but it's a CRAZY story.  It's bound to be a Primetime, Nightline, 48 Hours LMN Movie of the Week some day.  It has double lives, many marital affairs, maybe baby's, lying friends, Hubby taking the reward money to Vegas, defense lawyers running facebook pages, blackmail, affair with friends ex-con husband, people getting booted off FB pages for questioning her disappearance, multiple sightings,drugs, weird text messages, people being threatened for trying to find her.. the works.  I'm absolutely riveted!

The "calm" non-Nazi FB group:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/board.php...45108485513049

This one's run, in part by a lawyer who has represented someone "close" to the case:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...22739057758360

Websleuths had to close their thread because of all the drama:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106049

I swear I was going to go to bed early tonight.  :sleep:
    Lurker checking in.

I tried going to bed early last night, then got all caught up in reading the Haleigh Cummings thread until 2:30am.  I was going to try to be productive today, but I'm now 3 pages into the websleuths thread and am all caught up in it!  Even though I'm getting annoyed at the people who clearly don't read anything before posting to ask questions that were already answered in articles/comments posted. 
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Wow.  It's like a storyline right out of a soap opera!

I read up to page 21, thinking it was the last page, then found out they broke up the post and there are 11 more pages!  The entire thing is crazy, and though I haven't gotten completely caught up, regardless of all the information given, I agree with what most people said, that her friend definitely knows something or has something to do with what happened.  Nothing seems to add up with the car being rented in Beth's name, but her being dropped off at the train station... that's before the stuff came up about her friend & the boyfriend possibly being junkies, and the thing about the little boy overhearing them talking about blackmail & mentioning the name Beth.

I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

I didn't read all of websleuths.  It's nuts though, isn't it? Their new place of interest is St Louis because she apparently had another boyfriend there.  I don't know if I buy the whole junkie thing though. She was a chunky girl (heh...chunky/junkie lol) and if anything, in the more recent pictures she had gained weight. She did definitely seem to enjoy partying though.
    Lurker checking in.

I was wrong last night too...they have 6 threads on it, over 100 pages.  They had to shut the threads down because of people arguing.  I didn't read through it all either, I started at the beginning, but with all the repeated information I started skimming.  Then I just jumped to the last few pages because even that was too much!

I didn't mean the part about her being a junkie (though I read that too), but that apparently the friend she went on the trip with, and the boyfriend of that friend, whom is who they were going to see there, are junkies.  The story changes so much all the time, I have no idea what to believe anymore.

Once I skipped ahead, I finally saw where they started talking about multiple people blackmailing her for having an affair, possibly drug use by multiple people involved, that she had a secret life & ran away... it is really insane.  The detectives investigating all of this must want to bang their heads on the wall with all the crazy stuff that keeps getting tossed their way. 

I think my favourite scenario of all was "single white female" one, because apparently the friend used to be a frumpy brunette with glasses, and then she started dressing in revealing clothing and bleached her hair platinum blond just like Beth.  I don't know that I believe that is what happened, but it was an interesting theory nonetheless.

This blog post from today actually says some man claims, after seeing a missing poster in someone's house, that he went on a date with her after she went missing, and that the blogger was told that she called a relative on August 14th.  There is so much craziness and so many rumours going around, who knows?  It really would make a good lifetime movie. 

*Marking
    And on to the reading...

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

[quote author=statro link=topic=26219.msg1702586#msg1702586 date=1282762848]This blog post from today actually says some man claims, after seeing a missing poster in someone's house, that he went on a date with her after she went missing, and that the blogger was told that she called a relative on August 14th.  There is so much craziness and so many rumours going around, who knows?  It really would make a good lifetime movie. 
    [/quote]This story does sound bizarre.  If she called a relative is she still considered missing?

[quote author=ICDEDPPL link=topic=26219.msg1702685#msg1702685 date=1282771557]
    This story does sound bizarre.  If she called a relative is she still considered missing?
    [/quote]

I don't think a family member has ever come forward saying she called. That's just what a blogger "heard".
    Lurker checking in.

Yeah, sorry I should have clarified that it wasn't confirmed that she called the relative.  There have also been no confirmed sightings of her, she hasn't used her cellphone, or any credit cards or bank accounts.  Considering she apparently lived quite lavishly, always buying expensive bags & clothes, had her hair done twice a week etc. and there was no large amount of money taken with her, and only one bag, it doesn't seem very likely that she just disappeared or ran off.

I meant to post the link to the blog where it was mentioned before, I see I forgot to include it:
    http://woodstockadvocate.blogspot.com/

The blog is written by some guy who is running for Sheriff in her hometown.

[quote author=YayMe link=topic=26219.msg1702697#msg1702697 date=1282772451]
    I don't think a family member has ever come forward saying she called. That's just what a blogger "heard".
    [/quote]Oh. Thanks to you both.

Chugging thru the WS thread now. It's all very confusing! Thanks for posting it here.

basically marking.  just finished school with a girl from mt. vernon, i may hit her up and see if she has heard any rumors or whatnot.

heading over to WS.

i don't know about the rest of you that ventured over to WS, but man i got annoyed with all the initials instead of names and how you absolutely can't quote anything from anywhere but a media source.

i spent the past 3 days finishing every last word on WS, and i still don't know what to believe.  i think there's a whole lot more going on here than just a missing person.

the blackmail is interesting, if it's true.  $20,000 is a lot of money to pay someone to stay quiet.  what secret would be worth that amount of money?  just an affair?  i don't know.  if i was cheating on my husband and someone blackmailed and demanded that kind of money, i'd be like...."20k?!  serious?!  i'll tell him myself."

i'm not that far from Centralia/Mt. Vernon.  it makes me want to drive up there and hand out posters.  though some are reporting that people are threatening their lives for trying to find Beth, so maybe i'll stay down here in my little SOIL town.

I was searching for any updates in this case, and came across a rumour that had been written about in the Woodstock Advocate blog.  The Rumour is that Beth was pregnant, and due any day.  More than a couple possible baby daddies, apparently.

I find it weird that this is a rumour, because it is usually quite obvious when someone is 9 months pregnant, but hey, you never know.  I imagine the fact that she was a large girl could have helped hide it.  Though I can't imagine her husband not noticing.  It just adds to all the craziness surrounding this case!  Someone discussing it on her missing page on facebook under the 'secrets' discussion said that photos basically verify that it was true.

If it is true, then obviously that raises a lot of questions, but could also help to sort out a possible motive for why she disappeared, whether on her own, or due to foul play

Yeah, the pregnancy rumor has been going on for a while (mentioned it in my first post).  This is the first I heard about her being due any day though.  Seems like the rumor probably just grew out of proportion.  Especially considering she was last seen in a denim mini.  I mean, she wasn't THAT big.  I have a friend who is a fairly large girl and you could definitely tell she was pregnant towards the end.  If I had to guess, just seeing Beth in pictures, my friend is probably quite a bit heavier than her.
    Lurker checking in.

[quote author=YayMe link=topic=26219.msg1735390#msg1735390 date=1286904285]
    Yeah, the pregnancy rumor has been going on for a while (mentioned it in my first post).  This is the first I heard about her being due any day though.  Seems like the rumor probably just grew out of proportion.  Especially considering she was last seen in a denim mini.  I mean, she wasn't THAT big.  I have a friend who is a fairly large girl and you could definitely tell she was pregnant towards the end.  If I had to guess, just seeing Beth in pictures, my friend is probably quite a bit heavier than her.
    [/quote]
    Yeah, looking back at your post, I see that.  I didn't come across any of that when I was reading all the crazy stuff about this case before though.

I agree it is unlikely, but then again, there is the TV show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1239443/), where even women themselves weren't aware they were expecting.  I haven't watched all the episodes, but I did see a few of them, and if I'm not mistaken, all of the women were overweight in the episodes I saw, which is part of the reason why they apparently weren't aware.  You would not have looked at them and thought they were pregnant.  An aside: I know I was kinda WTF?! about one or two of the episodes, because obviously there are more symptoms than a baby belly (uhm, hello, when something is moving inside of you, you might want to check on that ), but in one circumstance, the woman was told she couldn't have children, and she had never had regular periods, so it never occurred to her that she could be. 

Anyway, back to the point, it is possible that she could have been that pregnant, without other people being aware.  Very unlikely though.  If so, considering the rest of this crazy story, I suspect that the father is Elvis.  or pregnancy by alien abduction.  Maybe she was abducted, impregnated, and then the aliens came back for her when she was due!  :lol:

Remains were also found near Fairfield this week. I hope we will get resolution for both of these cases soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post

Okay this is the part where I admit he's kind of pretty, or at least he would be if he hadn't killed his sister and smeared poo on her candy.

Thread Information