Thread: Nilda Rodriguez (31) starved her 7-week old baby Deon to death

Senior Member A Midnight Dreary's Avatar

Nilda Rodriguez (31) starved her 7-week old baby Deon to death

BELTON - The woman found guilty of starving her infant child to death has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Nilda Iliana Rodriguez, of Harker Heights, was charged with a felony murder for malnourishment and dehydration death of her 7-week-old baby, Deon Dajuan Griffin.

On Tuesday, two witnesses for the prosecution took the stand. They were Joni McClain, deputy chief medical examiner for the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Science in Dallas, and Dr. David Hardy, a pediatric critical care doctor at Scott and White hospital in Temple.

Both prosecution witnesses strongly underlined that the cause of death was indeed malnutrition and dehydration.

A sunken fontanel (baby's "soft spot" of the skull), wasting body, distended stomach, no body fat, and the lack of enough electrolytes to even run lab tests were symptoms, they said.

"(The baby) looked like an old man," Hardy said.

The defense maintained its standing that a diabetic coma, insulin rejection and possible thyroid problems for Deon's death.

Rodriguez's defense attorney called six witnesses to the stand, five of whom live in the same Harker Heights trailer park as Rodriguez.

They painted the picture of a loving mother who always kept her kids nearby, and that their home was immaculate.

Prosecutor Mike Waldman attacked their credibility because the neighbors never saw what happened behind closed doors and they could never say that Rodriguez indeed fed baby Deon the required nutrition.

The events surrounding the day Deon died were called to attention when a Child Protective Services worker was brought to the home and told Rodriguez to make sure the kids were well fed and to bring them in for a counselor interview.

When she failed to do so, the children were forcibly taken away by CPS.

Deon's twin, Melania, was found to be underweight, and when fed, quickly returned to health.

Rodriguez's oldest son was found to have a severe ear infection with pus, caused by neglect, physicians said.

After about an hour and 15 minutes of deliberation, the jury found Rodriguez guilty just before 5:30 p.m.

http://www.kxxv.com/global/story.asp?s=12802229

Rodriguez's MS:
    http://www.myspace.com/446515832

Re: Nilda Rodriguez (31) starved her 7-week old baby Deon to death

I love how her MS has all this BS about God this God that, and how she's all happy and healthy. When all the babies in her care were pretty much dieing. Makes me sick, they said the baby looked like an old man, you mean to tell me you come home from having a new baby most likely crying because its hungry and you just go along with your day like its white noise.

[quote author=emfellows link=topic=26096.msg1673193#msg1673193 date=1279314448]
    I love how her MS has all this BS about God this God that, and how she's all happy and healthy. When all the babies in her care were pretty much dieing. Makes me sick, they said the baby looked like an old man, you mean to tell me you come home from having a new baby most likely crying because its hungry and you just go along with your day like its white noise.
    [/quote]

This is the part I can never figure out. You know until it gets too weak to cry it's screaming its head off. How does anyone stand that? People must stick them in closets or back rooms or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

That just makes me sick. How hard is it to whip a titty out and feed the baby.

HOW CAN PEOPLE THINK OF EVEN DOING THAT TO THEIR BABIES???

I WOULD RATHER STARVE MYSELF AND GIVE MY BABY FOOD!

Her MS says she is married...... I wonder where her husband is in all this?  Harker Heights is right next to Killeen which is the home of Ft. Hood (the biggest army base in the country).... anyone I have ever known that lives in Harker Heights is either military or ex-military.  Not that it matters, as she should be able to properly take care of her kids or make sure they are with someone who can, but I wonder if her husband is in the army and got sent somewhere leaving her alone with the kids. 

RIP Deon....

Thread Information