Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Most Notorious Murders In Your State

Most Notorious Murders In Your State

Gotta warn you in advance that this links to a slideshow. :2eyesbleed:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/p...-by-state.html

Here's an example of what you'll find.  For my state, North Carolina:

North Carolina: Carthage Nursing Home Shooting
    Killed:8; Injured: 3 + Shooter

On March 29, 2009, Robert Stewart, 45, entered a nursing home in Carthage, reportedly with the intention of killing his estranged wife who worked there as a nurse. Instead, Stewart (pictured) ended up murdering seven nursing home patients, aged 75 through 98, and a 39-year-old male nurse. Wanda Neal, Stewart's wife who had left him three weeks before the incident, survived the attack by hiding in another wing of the building. Stewart, a former National Guardsman, had a history of heavy drinking and was prone to fits of rage. Prior to the shooting, he had been persistently trying to get in touch with Neal, who had not wanted to hear from him. The nursing home attack ended when Stewart was shot by police and arrested. Stewart is currently being held in a maximum-security prison.
    Some of the killings might already have threads here on MDS, but this one doesn't.  For your reading pleasure.
    A nap is only nice when it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Re: Most Notorious Murders In Your State

Mine is the Vilisca murders. Happened in 1912. They didn't have myspaces.  :-P

It also mentions the Bentlers, which has a thread here.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Oregon
    Killed: 5 + Self

On February 23, 2002, Robert Bryant (pictured, with wife) killed his wife and four children before turning the gun on himself in the family's small McMinnville home (pictured). Police had difficulty establishing a motive for the killings; neighbors described the family as happy but reclusive. The bodies were not discovered for three weeks.

Killed:13; Injured: 1
    In Wilkes-Barre, former prison guard George Emil Banks (pictured) shot and killed six adults and seven children, five of them his own, on September 25, 1982. Banks, who had been living with several girlfriends in a communal, cult-like lifestyle, later said he killed his children because of the discrimination they would endure for being mixed-race. Banks was sentenced to death and remains in prison.

I figured it would be him, not sure I agree with some on that list though.   Dahmer didn't make it for Wisconsin?   I'd call it a spree killing list, not the most notorious.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/photogallery/murder-by-state.html?curPhoto=42

Tennessee: Lester Street Mass Murder
    Killed: 6; Injured: 3

Memphis man Jessie L. Dotson, (pictured), 33, was charged with six counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder for allegedly killing his brother, his brother's girlfriend, two of their children and two visiting friends on March 1, 2008. The adults were shot several times; the children, aged 2 and 4, were stabbed to death. Three other children were severely injured. After one of the surviving children fingered him to police, Dotson, who had spent 14 years in prison and had been recently released, confessed to the crimes.

I'm a god mother fucker and it's judgment day.

I remember  hearing about this all the time :(

In the worst school mass murder in U.S. history, Andrew P. Kehoe (pictured), upset by a tax conflict, planted dynamite at a school in Bath. On May 18, 1927, Kehoe killed his wife, detonated the explosives at the school, tearing it apart (pictured) and finally exploded his own car, killing himself and several others.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/photogallery/murder-by-state.html?curPhoto=34

North Dakota: Turtle Lake Murders
    Killed: 8

In an antique case of murder that continues to haunt the small town of Turtle Lake, six members of the Wolf family and two others were killed by gunfire and a hatchet by one Henry Layer. On April 23, 1920, Layer, the owner of an adjacent farm, got into a dispute with Mr. Wolf over Wolf's dog, who Layer claimed had injured his cattle. The struggle soon turned into shooting, and all but one member of the Wolf family lost their lives. The only survivor was the family's youngest child, 8-month-old Emma. A 13-year-old farmhand and a relative were also killed. Layer first attempted to cover up the crime by hiding the bodies, but confessed later and was sentenced to life in prison.

One of the ladies I take care of in the nursing home lived in the area this happened. She was pretty young, but remembers it very well. She was reading a book about it and she said it brought back a lot of memories. I ran out and picked up a copy, but have yet to start it!

Wisconsin: Living Church of God Shooting
    Killed: 7 + Self; Injured: 4

On March 12, 2005, computer technician Terry Ratzmann (pictured), angry at a sermon he had heard two weeks before, walked into his Living Church of God congregation of 60 at a Sheraton Hotel (pictured) in Brookfield with a 9mm handgun and fatally shot the minister, the minister's son, and five churchgoers. He then committed suicide. Ratzmann, a gardening enthusiast, had suffered from depression.
    I agree with Hyper, Dahmer was ROBBED, man. I seriously never even heard of this guy.  :roll: Though, people in Brookfield make me wanna shoot someone too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/p...tml?curPhoto=3

Arizona: Buddhist Temple Massacre
    Killed: 9

On the morning of August 10, 1991, a worker delivering food to the Wat Promkunaram Buddhist Temple near Goodyear discovered the bodies of nine monks, arranged in a circle. Each had been shot in the back of the head. What unfolded was a cycle of finger-pointing, in which several young men, including high school JROTC cadets Alessandro Garcia (pictured), and Jonathan Doody all implicated each other in the crime. Eventually, Garcia and Doody confessed and were sentenced to 271 and 281 years in prison, respectively. In 2008, Doody's conviction was overturned on grounds his confession was improperly obtained; his case remains under review.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

This guy killed himself about 3 miles from myself. I thought for sure it would be Wayne Williams.
    http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/williams/index_1.html

[quote author=ICDEDPPL link=topic=25883.msg1657951#msg1657951 date=1277783273]

This guy killed himself about 3 miles from my house. I thought for sure it would be Wayne Williams.
    http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/williams/index_1.html
    [/quote]Don't know why it isn't showing the picture.....FAIL.

I just read through all of them. I haven't heard of a lot of them and some surprised me. California was one of the surprises. I thought it would be Manson or Ng.

ICDED- I think the Barton one is worse because of the family being killed by the dad thing.  Plus there is the whole doubt that Williams is even guilty.  It is still weird driving past the BP where it ended.

Indiana: Hamilton Avenue Murders
    Killed: 7

On June 1, 2006, a house at 560 North Hamilton Avenue in Indianapolis became the scene of a horrific mass murder after Desmond Turner and Stewart Turner fatally shot seven people in the course of a robbery. Among the victims were three children aged 11, 8 and 5. Both suspects were convicted of seven counts of felony murder among other crimes and sentenced to life without parole.

But I disagree with that being the most notorious.  If anything the serial killings by Herb Baumiester or even more well known, the Sylvia Liken story.  It's twisted.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/young/likens/biblio.html

There is a movie based on the events called An American Crime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-RqhFl3Xs

[quote author=AtlantaAndy link=topic=25883.msg1659261#msg1659261 date=1277957869]It is still weird driving past the BP where it ended.
    [/quote]It's weird driving anywhere in Acworth these days.

Texas: Luby's Massacre
    Killed: 23 + Self; Injured: 20
    Wielding a Glock 17 and a Ruger P89, a deranged George Jo Hennard, 35, (pictured), drove his Ford pickup through the front window of Luby's Cafeteria (pictured) in Killeen on October 16, 1991. Hennard began shooting into the crowded eatery, taking many lives before committing suicide.
    Eighteen years later, the town of Killeen would suffer another deadly massacre at the Fort Hood Army Base, where U.S. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan allegedly murdered 13 people and injured 30 during a November 5, 2009, shooting.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/photogallery/murder-by-state.html?curPhoto=35

Ohio: Easter Sunday Massacre
    Killed: 11

In what remains the deadliest case of familicide by gunfire in American history, James Urban Ruppert murdered 11 members of his family. On March 30, 1975, Easter Sunday, when many members of Ruppert's extended family (pictured) had gathered at his mother's house in Hamilton, Ruppert (pictured), armed with four guns, began killing them one by one, beginning with his brother Leonard. Only three of his victims were adults, the remaining eight were all under the age of 18, the youngest being Ruppert's 4-year-old nephew John. At trial, where the jury saw diagrams of bodies strewn about the floor (pictured), Ruppert was convicted on 11 counts of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by angelicajustice View Post
    I wouldn't fuck her with Ron's dick.

[quote author=PCP777 link=topic=25883.msg1659458#msg1659458 date=1277995705]

Texas: Luby's Massacre
    Killed: 23 + Self; Injured: 20
    Wielding a Glock 17 and a Ruger P89, a deranged George Jo Hennard, 35, (pictured), drove his Ford pickup through the front window of Luby's Cafeteria (pictured) in Killeen on October 16, 1991. Hennard began shooting into the crowded eatery, taking many lives before committing suicide.
    Eighteen years later, the town of Killeen would suffer another deadly massacre at the Fort Hood Army Base, where U.S. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan allegedly murdered 13 people and injured 30 during a November 5, 2009, shooting.
    [/quote]

ok, that guy totally belongs in the ~sexy murderers~ thread.

/tangent

Illinois: Northern Illinois University Shooting
    Killed: 5 + Self; Injured: 18

An NIU graduate, Steven Phillip Kazmierczak (pictured), 27, entered an oceanography lecture hall on February 14, 2008, and opened fire from the stage. A 2006 Dean's Award recipient, Kazmierczak attended the Graduate School of Social Work at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the time of the killings. Especially interested in corrections, he had written several papers on the topic of prison sociology. According to his girlfriend of two years, Jessica Baty, Kazmierczak had never shown a violent side, but had been taking prescribed Xanax, Ambien and Prozac prior to the incident. Kazmierczak shot and killed himself before police arrived at the scene.

my sister was a student at niu at the time of the shooting. i remember semi-panicking after finding a text message from her, saying, 'hey there was a shooter at my school, but i'm ok.' my parents picked her up that evening, and she found out one of her friends was a student in the lecture hall where the shooting happened; she wasn't injured, but she was certainly traumatized from playing dead and bearing witness to seeing other people get shot and/or trampled.

HOWEVER: john wayne gacy is most notorious in IL, i swear. right up there with dahmer as a hardcore midwestern mass murderer.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25883.msg1657244#msg1657244 date=1277688804]
    Mine is the Vilisca murders. Happened in 1912. They didn't have myspaces.  :-P

It also mentions the Bentlers, which has a thread here.
    [/quote]You can stay the night in the axe murder house(DNRTA) and a girl I know is a descendant of the people killed.

I'd have to say the Boston Strangler was the most notorious for my state..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Strangler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizzie_Borden

There's always Lizzie Borden though..  I still know that song by heart

"Lizzie Borden took an axe, she gave her mother 40 wacks and when she'd seen what she had done, she gave her father 41"

We had Son of Sam, Ronnie DeFeo ( amityville horror- that warped me for life), Arthur Shawcross, The Good Samaritan Angel of Death and Joel Rifkin. Oh and of course the "Zodiac Wounder" :lol:

Heres a list by victim number. US barely made top ten...I dont know if that makes us slackers or what :lol:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murderers_by_number_of_victims

ETA: Looking at that list- we New Yorkers are just pathetic in spawning serial killers, for the bad ass reputation we have :lol: What the fuck is in the water on the West Coast Guys? California needs to be renamed the serial killer state :lol:

EtAA: I forgot Albert Fish!! No wonder Brooklyn has such a bad rap- dude was OG
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

I live in Ohio too. De already posted it, but it's the Easter Sunday Murders which I've never heard of. I thought the most notorious would be the Kent State Massacre since I hear about that pretty frequently. The Kent State students were holding a riot in 1970 I believe and the Ohio National Guard opened fire on them and killed four. I don't know how many were injured.

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=25883.msg1663003#msg1663003 date=1278431392]
    You can stay the night in the axe murder house(DNRTA) and a girl I know is a descendant of the people killed.
    [/quote]
    I know. Creepy. My daughter and I have talked about doing that.

[quote author=Monter link=topic=25883.msg1663033#msg1663033 date=1278433157]
    We had Son of Sam, Ronnie DeFeo ( amityville horror- that warped me for life), Arthur Shawcross, The Good Samaritan Angel of Death and Joel Rifkin. Oh and of course the "Zodiac Wounder" :lol:

Heres a list by victim number. US barely made top ten...I dont know if that makes us slackers or what :lol:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murderers_by_number_of_victims

ETA: Looking at that list- we New Yorkers are just pathetic in spawning serial killers, for the bad ass reputation we have :lol: What the fuck is in the water on the West Coast Guys? California needs to be renamed the serial killer state :lol:

EtAA: I forgot Albert Fish!! No wonder Brooklyn has such a bad rap- dude was OG
    [/quote]

I read a book about Albert Fish years ago. There were parts I had to skip over so I didn't throw up.

Thread Information