Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Abby Sunderland- 16yr old Sailor Missing in the Indian Ocean

Re: Abby Sunderland- 16yr old Sailor Missing in the Indian Ocean

I'm gonna pimp my daughter out. What's wrong with a little profit?  :-P

There is a kid in my daughter's class who is planning to ride his bike across the US this summer. He's 17, going alone, planning to knock on doors and ask people if he can camp in their yards at night. I wouldn't let my kid do that, either.

There are zillions of kids who have never sailed around the world or rode a bike across the country who have gone on to be well rounded, well educated, successful human beings. It's not necessary to allow them to risk their lives when they are kids in order to grow into successful adults.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

This kid is home schooled. I guess with no friends and a likely shitty education, this is all she has.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=Mortis link=topic=25671.msg1647569#msg1647569 date=1276562398]

Ok  and what's wrong with a little profit???
    [/quote]

Would you still feel that way if it was your taxpayer dollars paying for her rescue?
    Our country (Australia) can not recover that $300,000 that was spent on her rescue. That 300 grand could have been put to much better use helping people who really need it. Not saying that she didn't need help, but I personally think 'Adventurers' who voluntarily and knowingly put themselves out there in risky situations such as this should be financially prepared and responsible for rescue efforts if they're needed.  Her mother 'scoffed' at the idea that they should pay it back. Her words were 'Go to the US Government, we're not rich'. Yet they are appealing for donations on her website so they can recover her yacht. Fuck her yacht!
    The captain of the boat that picked her up almost died saving her. How important is a 'little profit' if someone lost their life because of her and her familys irresponsibility?

[quote author=kateeaves link=topic=25671.msg1647586#msg1647586 date=1276563285]
    Would you still feel that way if it was your taxpayer dollars paying for her rescue?
    Our country (Australia) can not recover that $300,000 that was spent on her rescue. That 300 grand could have been put to much better use helping people who really need it. Not saying that she didn't need help, but I personally think 'Adventurers' who voluntarily and knowingly put themselves out there in risky situations such as this should be financially prepared and responsible for rescue efforts if they're needed.  Her mother 'scoffed' at the idea that they should pay it back. Her words were 'Go to the US Government, we're not rich'. Yet they are appealing for donations on her website so they can recover her yacht. Fuck her yacht!
    The captain of the boat that picked her up almost died saving her. How important is a 'little profit' if someone lost their life because of her and her familys irresponsibility?

[/quote] :-o  She said that?

Ehhh Im too pissed at my tax dollars being spent on shit like oil spills, foreign relief to countries that hate us, and lining special interests pockets.....

To save some kid is like a breath of fresh air to me.

No Bowie, as far as the little flying girl, I think it was dead wrong.....but 16 years  is not a little child..... sorry it just isn't.
    If you can't see the difference there, then this is absolutely a moot argument.

I still say many kids in movies, and sports are subjected to just as much, or more danger than she was, and their folks make money.

Yes Chaunce...  She was a fail....  I can't say she wasn't.  You know her brother is like    " Boooya Bitch"......

As long as my kid is in my house and I have legal guardianship over them, I'm going to forbid them from doing as many dumb things that could kill them as possible. I will be such a party pooper.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25671.msg1647589#msg1647589 date=1276563449]
    :-o  She said that?
    [/quote]

Along those lines.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/abby-sunderland-s-mom-u-s-taxpayers-should-pay-for-rescue
    The family of Abby Sunderland will not be reimbursing Australia for the $300,000 cost of finding her in the middle of the treacherous Indian Ocean. In fact, Abby's mother suggested American taxpayers should foot the bill.

"We're not wealthy people," MaryAnne Sunderland said.

She added that if Australia really wanted its money back, it should place a call to Washington, D.C. "The full cost of chartering an Airbus would be so high, you'd think they would have to work with the U.S. government for that," she tells Australia's Courier-Mail.

But Australian officials no such call will be made. There will be no effort to recoup the money.

"No, that's the way the system runs," Australian Maritime Safety Authority chief executive Mick Kinley said. "It's our obligation to do this and we'll fulfill those obligations as Australia does.''

He added. "We would expect people to rescue any Australian yachtsman in these conditions."

It's nice to know someone is doing the right thing here. Now, back to the Sunderlands.

When that French fishing boat picked up Abby, it left her disabled vessel behind. So the unwealthy Sunderlands began an Internet campaign to raise money to tow it back to shore.

"Help save Abby Sunderland's boat Wild Eyes," her W,eb site said, directing visitors to a page where they could make credit card donations.

More than 60 people answered the call. But after raising just $2460, the family gave up. That's far, far less than the estimated $130,000 it would cost to get the boat to a harbor.

But never fear -- the family is still collecting money through the online sale of some 30 lines of merchandise, from shoes to stickers and signed posters.

And there's the upcoming Sunderland reality show!

WTF, who besides rich people can afford to let their kids live that kind of lifestyle? Oh, yeah, ones using their kids for financial gain.

Ok Ok  the parent's are douches.....

I still like Abby's spunk!

Ugh, the parents. 

I'm a god mother fucker and it's judgment day.

[quote author=kateeaves link=topic=25671.msg1647586#msg1647586 date=1276563285]

[/quote]

I wonder how many Aussie sailors the USCG has saved? We don't charge them for it either. Sailing/mariner disasters happen all over the planet and we don't want everyone to start charging everyone for it or worse yet, waiting to launch a rescue effort until compensation is made. It just doesn't work that way. I'm not sure that it was even her fault, stuff happens at sea that is completely out of our control. It's mother nature. If she hadn't been so well trained in such a well prepared boat than I would agree. 

Oh here's a little video about how safe sailing is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95jyeucGqA0

:lol:

A reality show about a 16 year old girl alone on a boat would be a freaking yawn fest.  :|

[quote author=Mortis link=topic=25671.msg1647784#msg1647784 date=1276574926]
    Ok Ok   the parent's are douches.....

I still like Abby's spunk!
    [/quote]

See? Now was that so hard?  

Okay, I screwed up the quote, but PCP said

A reality show about a 16 year old girl alone on a boat would be a freaking yawn fest.  :|

And the article said

The mom said they wanted to follow the family and see how they made their kids so 'ambitious.'

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25671.msg1648037#msg1648037 date=1276621865]

A reality show about a 16 year old girl alone on a boat would be a freaking yawn fest.  :|

And the article said

The mom said they wanted to follow the family and see how they made their kids so 'ambitious.'

[/quote]

Honestly that sounds even more boring.  :lol:

On another note if I was Abby I'd be so bummed about losing that boat. Open 40's are bad ass!

- ABBY SUNDERLAND'S BOAT -

Boat Name: Wild Eyes
    Sailboat Type: Open 40
    Boat Length Overall: 12.19 meters (40 feet)
    Waterline Length: 12 meters (39.5 feet)
    Boat Beam: 3.41 meters (11.21 feet)
    About the boat (by Abby's Sunderland's team): "Abby Sunderland has chosen an Open 40 sailboat for her solo, non-stop circumnavigation. The Open 40 was specifically designed for single-handed sailing in the Southern Ocean. It has the benefit of both speed and safety necessary to navigate the conditions Abby will experience in the Southern Ocean."

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25671.msg1648037#msg1648037 date=1276621865]

And the article said

[/quote]

Look at the little one in the sailor hat!

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=25671.msg1648183#msg1648183 date=1276633544]

Look at the little one in the sailor hat!
    [/quote]

*sigh* And my daughter is shopping with friends today. She'll never amount to anything.  :-(

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25671.msg1648193#msg1648193 date=1276634065]
    *sigh* And my daughter is shopping with friends today. She'll never amount to anything.  :-(
    [/quote]
    It's not living vicariously through them, it's helping them realize they have the same ambitions you do!

lol @ the one misfit second to the left, look at that pathetic thing. She looks like an actual child, what a loser.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=25671.msg1648195#msg1648195 date=1276634167]
    It's not living vicariously through them, it's helping them realize they have the same ambitions you do!

lol @ the one misfit second to the left, look at that pathetic thing. She looks like an actual child, what a loser.
    [/quote]

Are these the sunderland family?

Looks like they're trying to make them look like that pageant girl that got killed in CO, what was her name? Never found the killer?

[quote author=PCP777 link=topic=25671.msg1648223#msg1648223 date=1276635664]

Looks like they're trying to make them look like that pageant girl that got killed in CO, what was her name? Never found the killer?
    [/quote]

I think it's from Toddlers and Tiaras.  http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/toddlers...nd-tiaras.html

Jon Benet Ramsey

[quote author=PCP777 link=topic=25671.msg1648223#msg1648223 date=1276635664]

[/quote]
    Toddlers & Tiaras. It's the same thing. They all say 'oh my kid WANTS to sacrifice her childhood for my ambition.'

The home schooling is a huge red flag in the family, Heaven forbid that kid ever got exposed to any other options and not be a vessel for her parents.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=25671.msg1648399#msg1648399 date=1276647565]
    Toddlers & Tiaras. It's the same thing. They all say 'oh my kid WANTS to sacrifice her childhood for my ambition.'

The home schooling is a huge red flag in the family, Heaven forbid that kid ever got exposed to any other options and not be a vessel for her parents.
    [/quote]

I was watching a dog grooming contest the other night and they were dying these dogs all different colors and sticking stuff to them and saying oh, my dog looooves this.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25671.msg1648403#msg1648403 date=1276647697]
    I was watching a dog grooming contest the other night and they were dying these dogs all different colors and sticking stuff to them and saying oh, my dog looooves this.
    [/quote]
    The first time my brother got drunk, my grandma gave him a beer when he was like 11. He spent the rest of the afternoon throwing guavas at her ancient golden retriever and going 'she likes it'.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25671.msg1648403#msg1648403 date=1276647697]
    [/quote]

when people dye their pets, I really start to worry, that's crazy!  :lol:

Thread Information