Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Abby Sunderland- 16yr old Sailor Missing in the Indian Ocean

Abby Sunderland- 16yr old Sailor Missing in the Indian Ocean

http://www.myspace.com/abbysunderland

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Abby-Sunderland/265362055063

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/2010/06/teen-sailor-abby-sunderland-focus-of-emergency-rescue-effort.html
    **Updated at 11 a.m.

A rescue effort has been launched in hope of finding Abby Sunderland, 16, who set off her emergency beacon locating devices from the southern Indian Ocean early this morning.

Sunderland, who had been attempting to sail around the world alone, endured multiple knockdowns in 60-knot winds Thursday before conditions briefly abated.

However, her parents lost satellite phone contact early this morning and an hour later were notified by the Australian Coast Guard that both of Sunderland's EPIRB satellite devices had been activated.

One is apparently is attached to a survival suit or a life raft and meant to be used when a person is in the water or aboard a life raft.

Abby's father struggled with emotions and said he didn't know if his daughter was in a life raft or aboard the boat, or whether the boat was upside down.

"Everything seemed to be under control," Laurence Sunderland said. "But then our call dropped and a hour later the Coast Guard called."

Abby is hundreds of miles from land. The nearest ship was about 400 miles away. The rescue effort is being coordinated by the French-controlled Reunion Islands and Australia. Sunderland had been sailing in 50- to 60-foot seas and it was dark when the EPIRB devices were activated.

The Sunderlands are asking people to pray for their daughter, a high-school junior from Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Charlie Nobles, executive director of the American Sailing Assn., said, "We're all praying for her and our thoughts are with her. If she's got the survival suit, and she's got the EPIRB and she's in pretty good shape, she's just got to try to hang on. And when they get there, these guys... they're going to hopefully send the best that they've got to try to do a rescue and it's definitely possible. They're amazing people who do those rescues. They know exactly what they're heading into."

Nobles said a scenario whereby a sailor has to abandon ship might go like this: Water flooding the vessel automatically inflates the life raft, which is tethered to the sailboat. The sailor, if the sailboat is sinking, would grab the boat's EPIRB device and stuff it into a ditch kit, take the ditch kit and deploy and climb aboard the life raft. The sailor would only cut the tether if the sailboat is sinking, pulling down the lifeboat.

Abby was for several months one of two 16-year-olds attempting to sail around the world alone. Australia's Jessica Watson completed her journey last month, just days before turning 17.

Abby's brother Zac, who graduated from high school, completed a solo-circumnavigation last summer at 17.

The timing of Abby's trip was criticized by some because it was going to place her in the middle of the Indian Ocean when the stormy Southern Hemisphere winter was at hand.

Re: Abby Sunderland- 16yr old Sailor Missing in the Indian Ocean

*sigh* I hope she's okay, but she put herself into such a dangerous situation. I don't really get thrill seekers that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

That' crazy, hope they find her.

I'm a god mother fucker and it's judgment day.

Oh man, I'm going to hell for laughing at that...

Her last blog post was yesterday http://soloround.blogspot.com/

The last few days have pretty busy out here. I've been in some rough weather for awhile with winds steady at 40-45 knots with higher gusts. With that front passing, the conditions were lighter today. It was a nice day today with some lighter winds which gave me a chance to patch everything up. Wild Eyes was great through everything but after a day with over 50 knots at times, I had quite a bit of work to do..................

The wind is beginning to pick up. It is back up to 20 knots and I am expecting that by midnight tonight I could have 35-50 knots with gusts to 60 so I am off to sleep before it really picks up.

I remember Tony Bullimore survived five days after his boat overturned.

But why is a 16 year old girl sailing around the world by herself?

[quote author=Nasirah_Aden link=topic=25671.msg1644432#msg1644432 date=1276202425]
    But why is a 16 year old girl sailing around the world by herself?
    [/quote]

To break a record. Duh. Much more important than living.

She's sailing an Open 40, which has eight water tight compartments. This is not some old tub, this is a state of the art racing yacht.

The EPIRB which only goes off if her boat sinks has not gone off, pretty much indicating that Wild Eyes is still afloat. She's set off her emergency beacon, so she probably got rolled and might be turtled and in need of rescue.

Why would someone do this? Because sailing is AWESOME.  :lol:

A 14 year  girl old recently made an attempt that was stopped by the Dutch government. Jessica Watson, 16, just completed her circumnavigation.

The family remains optimistic that the 16-year-old is still alive because a beacon triggered when the boat sinks has not been set off.

Abby Sunderland sailed into a storm Thursday in the Southern Indian Ocean and lost contact with her family. She apparently activated emergency beacon locating devices on Thursday after losing contact over satellite phone with her family.

Zac Sunderland said his sister had three emergency beacons. Two are on the boat and one is on her life vest. Two of the beacons have been manually set off.

The third is a deep-water automatic beacon that is triggered by salt water and goes off when the boat has reached a depth of about 15 feet. That beacon has not gone off. The boat is built with water-tight compartments and his sister could be huddled safely in one of those, even if the vessel has capsized, Zac Sunderland said.

How scary would it be to be out in the middle of the ocean waiting for help, not knowing if it were to come?
    She has to wait 40 hours! eek... at least they think that the boat hasn't sunk. I think/hope she's alive.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/06/abby-sunderland-rescue.html

Two boats are headed toward Abby Sunderland's vessel but won't be there for another 40 to 48 hours, said her brother Zac Sunderland, speaking briefly to reporters from the doorway of the family's Thousand Oaks house. At first light, the Australian Coast Guard also intends to fly over the area, he said.

The family remains optimistic that the 16-year-old is still alive because a beacon triggered when the boat sinks has not been set off.

Abby Sunderland sailed into a storm Thursday in the Southern Indian Ocean and lost contact with her family. She apparently activated emergency beacon locating devices on Thursday after losing contact over satellite phone with her family.

Zac Sunderland said his sister had three emergency beacons. Two are on the boat and one is on her life vest. Two of the beacons have been manually set off.

The third is a deep-water automatic beacon that is triggered by salt water and goes off when the boat has reached a depth of about 15 feet. That beacon has not gone off. The boat is built with water-tight compartments and his sister could be huddled safely in one of those, even if the vessel has capsized, Zac Sunderland said.

"It's weird not being able to help and being at a distance," Zac Sunderland said.

The family was huddled inside the house in a room equipped with a navigation station and computers. His parents were on the phone with the Coast Guard. Zac Sunderland was making calls to Mauritius, an island off the coast of Africa, to start an emergency rescue effort from there. Zac Sunderland said he has a personal relationship with people there because he stopped there during his solo sail around the world when he was 17.

Two ships are about 400 miles – and two days – away from her location.

Los Angeles sector Coast Guard Lt. Ana Thorsson said Sunderland's emergency beacon signal was picked up by her agency in Northern California. Sunderland was about 2,000 miles southwest of Australia.

A voluntary international merchant ship rescue network, known as AMVER, is expected to join the search effort, Thorsson said.

While there may not be government rescue ships in the immediate vicinity, she said, "There's almost always merchant vessels out there."
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

This makes me shudder, I'm terrified of boats.

Did someone say it was an old tub? That would make what she's doing even dumber.  :lol:

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25671.msg1644523#msg1644523 date=1276208109]
    Did someone say it was an old tub? That would make what she's doing even dumber.  :lol:
    [/quote]

The things people do...

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25671.msg1644523#msg1644523 date=1276208109]
    [/quote]

LOL, no, quiet the opposite.

Blog update from her parents this morning. So she was having problems with her engine and electrical system

We spoke with Abby early this morning and learned that she had had a very rough day with winds up to 60 knots and seas 20-25 feet. She had been knocked down several times but was handling things well. The wind had subsided to around 35 knots which she and Wild Eyes are quite comfortable with.

We were helping her troubleshoot her engine that she was trying to start to charge her systems. Satellite phone reception was patchy. She was able to get the water out of the engine and start her up. We were waiting to hear back from her when American Search & Rescue authorities called to report having received a signal from her emergency beacon (EPIRB). We initially thought that the signal was sent automatically from her water-activated EPIRB and that it had been activated during one of her knockdowns. As we pulled the paperwork from her EPIRB registration, we learned that the signal had come from her manually activated EPIRB.

We were referred to Australian Search & Rescue and while we were on the phone with them another signal came in from her handheld PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Her water-activated EPIRB has not been activated so we are hopeful that the boat is still upright.

We are working closely with American, French and Australian Search & Rescue authorities to coordinate several ships in the area to divert to her location. There are several ships in her area, the earliest possible contact is 40 hours. We are actively seeking out some sort of air rescue but this is difficult due to the remoteness of her location. Australian Search & Rescue have arranged to have a Quantas Airbus fly over her location at first light (she is 11 hours later). They will not be able to help her other than to talk via marine radio if they are able to get close enough. Hopefully, they will be able to assess her situation and report back to us.

Abby has all of the equipment on board to survive a crisis situation like this. She has a dry suit, survival suit, life raft, and ditch bag with emergency supplies. If she can keep warm and hang on, help will be there as soon as possible. Wild Eyes is designed for travel in the Southern Ocean and is equipped with 5 air-tight bulkheads to keep her buoyant in the event of major hull damage. It is built to Category 0 standards and is designed to self-right in the event of capsize.

Thank you for all of your kind emails and calls. We appreciate your prayers and support.

We will update as soon as there is some news.

Laurence, Marianne and Team Abby

The boat is a Scott Jutson designed 2001 Open 40. Already a bad ass boat, it was then carefully outfitted for the voyage.

Oh snap, it's winter down there. WTF did she think she was doing? OK this will probably have a sad ending.  :|

very detailed video of the boat, and the preparation after they purchased her, interview with Abby and her father. Worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikwQmRCgWFM&feature=email

mydeathspace

Hmmmm....

OK, so I don't know jack about boats.

She's been out to sea for a long time...I'm wondering, what the heck do you eat while out @ sea for that long?

I'm guessing this is a pretty big boat?

School me please  :?

mydeathspace

Cool self-righting test photos from her MySpace. Kinda looks like a different boat in the first 3 though...

Yeah if I were sailing around the world, I would want to stop at all the places I was sailing through.
    I don't know anything about this sailing around the world business either, does she get to stop at places?
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

A Qantas Airbus has been sent to look for her which should reach her last known position by midday Australian time which is in 1 hour. I really hope they find her safe

I think it is 3+ hours away given we are talking midday Perth (I think).  But that is where she is off the coast of.  I really hope she is found safe!
    My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.....

[quote author=sweetcaro link=topic=25671.msg1644605#msg1644605 date=1276220348]
    I think it is 3+ hours away given we are talking midday Perth (I think).  But that is where she is off the coast of.  I really hope she is found safe!
    [/quote]

You're right. I forgot WA was a few hours behind Melbourne.
    Hopefully theres some good news this afternoon 

[quote author=PCP777 link=topic=25671.msg1644544#msg1644544 date=1276210506]
    Oh snap, it's winter down there. WTF did she think she was doing? OK this will probably have a sad ending.  :|
    [/quote]

When I asked if someone said it was an old tub, I meant why are you defending that part because nobody said that.

Why is this kind of thing allowed without charging the parents with neglect or something? Sending a 16 year old kid into the ocean alone on a boat is not good parenting, right?

Found her!

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/17960/abby+sunderland+is+alive+and+apparently+safe+aboar d+her+damaged+sailboat/
    Abby Sunderland, 16, is alive and apparently well, floundering in rough seas in the Indian Ocean without a mast, but safely aboard her 40-foot boat and awaiting the arrival of rescue ships.

An Australian plane with 11 trained observers found Sunderland, who on Thursday had activated two emergency distress beacons signaling an international rescue attempt, not long after daybreak Friday and made contact with her on a marine radio channel.

The mariner from Thousand Oaks, Calif., who had been attempting to become the youngest person to have sailed around the world alone, had lost has mast and rigging after her vessel apparently rolled in heaving seas. Her position is extremely remote, more than 2,000 miles from Australia and Africa.

"I was envisioning all sorts of nightmare situations," Marianne Sunderland, Abby's mom, said when reached via phone at her family's home in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Marianne and Laurence Sunderland, and six other children, had remained in their home, refusing to talk to reporters, until they had learned the fate of their daughter.

Marianne did not talk to Abby but Abby told the airplane crew she "was fine" and not badly hurt.

A rescue has not been made, however. The nearest ship bound for her position is about 30 hours away, but fierce winds and seas that had been upwards of 40 feet are abating. Australian, American and French search-and-rescue authorities are cooperating in the rescue attempt.

Thread Information