Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Grandma saves dogs over sleeping grandson, during horrific blaze

Re: Grandma saves dogs over sleeping grandson, during horrific blaze

[quote author=sogs link=topic=25644.msg1643327#msg1643327 date=1276046739]
    The daughter is 28, so I guess she was 17 when she popped her out. Then the daughter was 17 when she popped the boy out.
    [/quote]

sogs explained it on page 2

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25644.msg1646064#msg1646064 date=1276398556]I'm 45 when I have my first kid! :2smiley:[/quote]

All the more power to you if you can handle it, and I mean that.  I honestly think I was too young to have children at 21 (like I said, birth control fail), but on hindsight I'm okay with it working out the way it did.  I won't say it wasn't difficult, but the hard part is over and done.  I'm working with people my age who can't get away for the weekend without finding someone to watch the kids.  Always looking for babysitters, still having to spend every Saturday doing the sports thing, and all week long running them here, there and everywhere.  Meanwhile, my husband and I have our lives and our money to ourselves and we're still young enough to enjoy it.  We come and go as we please and when we want to buy something, we buy it.  We bought a Harley this weekend and we're free to pack up and ride whenever we want.  We don't have to worry about the college fund and all the expense and responsibility of child-rearing.  We're done with it all.  I wouldn't have the patience to go through all of that again at this age.  I don't know how my colleagues do it.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=25644.msg1646084#msg1646084 date=1276399531]
    All the more power to you if you can handle it, and I mean that.  I honestly think I was too young to have children at 21 (like I said, birth control fail), but on hindsight I'm okay with it working out the way it did.  I won't say it wasn't difficult, but the hard part is over and done.  I'm working with people my age who can't get away for the weekend without finding someone to watch the kids.  Always looking for babysitters, still having to spend every Saturday doing the sports thing, and all week long running them here, there and everywhere.  Meanwhile, my husband and I have our lives and our money to ourselves and we're still young enough to enjoy it.  We come and go as we please and when we want to buy something, we buy it.  We bought a Harley this weekend and we're free to pack up and ride whenever we want.  We don't have to worry about the college fund and all the expense and responsibility of child-rearing.  We're done with it all.  I wouldn't have the patience to go through all of that again at this age.  I don't know how my colleagues do it.
    [/quote]

I think it helps if you haven't done it before when you're young so you don't know how much harder it is when you're old.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=25644.msg1646084#msg1646084 date=1276399531]
    All the more power to you if you can handle it, and I mean that.  I honestly think I was too young to have children at 21 (like I said, birth control fail), but on hindsight I'm okay with it working out the way it did.  I won't say it wasn't difficult, but the hard part is over and done.  I'm working with people my age who can't get away for the weekend without finding someone to watch the kids.  Always looking for babysitters, still having to spend every Saturday doing the sports thing, and all week long running them here, there and everywhere.  Meanwhile, my husband and I have our lives and our money to ourselves and we're still young enough to enjoy it.  We come and go as we please and when we want to buy something, we buy it.  We bought a Harley this weekend and we're free to pack up and ride whenever we want.  We don't have to worry about the college fund and all the expense and responsibility of child-rearing.  We're done with it all.  I wouldn't have the patience to go through all of that again at this age.  I don't know how my colleagues do it.
    [/quote]
    It's all a matter of when you want to have your "young time." Some want it in their teens-20s, while others want it in their 40s-50s.

It's just sad when people have kids young and then realize their the type that wants to be young in their 20s. :lol:
    Then they end up divorced at 24 and shit. Sad.

I know for me it wouldn't have been hard in my 20s, it would have been impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25644.msg1646087#msg1646087 date=1276399758]It's all a matter of when you want to have your "young time." Some want it in their teens-20s, while others want it in their 40s-50s.

It's just sad when people have kids young and then realize their the type that wants to be young in their 20s. :lol:
    Then they end up divorced at 24 and shit. Sad.

I know for me it wouldn't have been hard in my 20s, it would have been impossible. [/quote]

I agree.  It's just that for all intents and purposes, my children were making their own money and living their own lives by the time I was about 38-39 years old.  I was still providing the shelter, but they were working their way through college and I was free to be me.  By that time I was beginning to truly understand myself and realized what I wanted out of life.  When I was in my 20s I just wanted to party until I puked.  Sometimes I did that, but most of the time being a Mom stood in the way of it.  Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back I don't regret that I missed that.  It suddenly isn't all that important to me.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25644.msg1646085#msg1646085 date=1276399630]I think it helps if you haven't done it before when you're young so you don't know how much harder it is when you're old. [/quote]

And this.  Like I said, hindsight is 20/20. 
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

http://www.facebook.com/mandy.handy#!/profile.php?id=1569454866&ref=search

I'd have forgotten the kid too.  :2embarrassed:

:lol:

Is that the same Mandy Hands?  I see a Mark Hands on the profile with (kinda) the same profile pic.  Grandma's husband's name is Craig.  Doesn't necessarily mean anything, just sayin...

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=25644.msg1646119#msg1646119 date=1276403600]
    :lol:

Is that the same Mandy Hands?  I see a Mark Hands on the profile with (kinda) the same profile pic.  Grandma's husband's name is Craig.  Doesn't necessarily mean anything, just sayin...
    [/quote]

Same shape of face, same location.

My apologies: <i>this link</i> http://www.facebook.com/mandy.handy#!/profile.php?id=1569454866&ref=search

[quote author=verysad2see link=topic=25644.msg1646182#msg1646182 date=1276412689]Same shape of face, same location.[/quote]

Okay, now I can see the whole facebook page.  It says she's married to Mark Hands.  Grandma's husband's name is Craig.

ETA:  I see another Mandy Hands now, I guess that's the one you were posting (not the one with the "69" jersey, right?).  Yes, that's definitely her.

ETA2:  On second look, both may be her.  Grandma has a bunch of people with the UK jersey profile pic, but is not friends with "Handy Mandy" (69 jersey profile pic married to Mark Hands) - possibly because it's herself?  I dunno.

mydeathspace

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=25644.msg1645718#msg1645718 date=1276368688]
    Maybe this kid should carry around peanut butter and go to his grandma's room late at night?
    [/quote]

ha! nom nom

[quote author=Pheara link=topic=25644.msg1642871#msg1642871 date=1276009423]
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-GRANDSON.html

Family flee burning house after rescuing pet dogs... but forget their sleeping GRANDSON

A family rescued their beloved pet dogs from a horrific house blaze but left their grandson asleep upstairs - after they forgot about him.

Guilt-ridden grandmother Mandy Hands, 45, saved her four greyhounds Amy, Arnie, Mannie and Clyde from the fire leaving 11-year-old Curtis in bed.

Luckily, firefighters managed to find the boy in the inferno and scrambled him through his bedroom window and carry him down a ladder to safety.

Housewife Mrs Hands today admitted she was struggling to get over her guilt of leaving her grandson in the fire.

She sobbed: 'I can't get over the fact I left my grandson in bed.

'He's visiting from Portsmouth and I was panicking so much trying to get everyone out that I forgot he was in here. I never even checked on him.'

Fire broke out at Mrs Hands's terraced home in Woodway Park, Coventry, shortly after 7.20am on Monday.

Mrs Hands's eldest daughter Kerry, 28, was visiting her family with Curtis from their home in Portsmouth when the blaze broke out.

A faulty plastic toaster is believed to have started the fire after Mrs Hands's husband Craig, 41, a transport manager, used it to make his breakfast.

After he and eldest son, also called Craig, 19, left for work, the toaster overheated after the pop-up mechanism failed.

Mrs Hands woke up when she noticed smoke in her bedroom and managed to get her son Ashley, 16, and the family's dogs to safety.

She said: 'I don't knew what it was but I just woke up quickly. The room was full of grey smoke and I just panicked. I was in a daze.

I ran downstairs where the smoke was thicker and saw the fire in the kitchen.

'Everything was dusty and the smoke was stinging. It was horrible. It's devastating to see the damage, absolutely devastating.'

It was only when Mrs Hands was outside did she remember Curtis was still inside the blazing house.

She said: 'It was only when we were outside and someone said, 'Is there anyone else in there?' that I remembered him, but no one could get back in.

'I stood outside shouting up at the bedroom window and that was when the fire engines arrived.'

Six firefighters with breathing apparatus searched the house and finally found Curtis asleep in his bed and managed to carry him to safety.

The family were all taken to Coventry's University Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Today it emerged the family did have a fire alarm but the batteries had run out.

Mr Hands said: 'There was a smoke alarm but the battery had run out and I hadn't replaced it.

'You don't think it will happen to you.

'It's upsetting but not as upsetting as what could have happened. They were all in bed but if she [Mandy] had not been woken up by the smoke I could have lost them all.'

Lee McDonald, watch commander at Binley Fire Station, said the family were 'lucky to be alive'.

He said: 'One of the lads located him [Curtis] in the back bedroom.

'He was asleep so was a bit shocked to see two firemen standing there.

'It was too hot to bring him down the stairs so we took him out of the window and down a ladder.

'They are all very lucky to be alive.'

[/quote]

I 'm glad the baby is okay, but it's not too hard to understand how she could have forgotten he was there.It's a panic-situation,and if the baby is only overnight occaionally,the change in routine might not have registered.
    We see this all the time when otherwise loving ,responsible parents leave their kids in the car because they weren't used to being the daycare transportation.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=happy phantom link=topic=25644.msg1649654#msg1649654 date=1276793808]
    I 'm glad the baby is okay, but it's not too hard to understand how she could have forgotten he was there.It's a panic-situation,and if the baby is only overnight occaionally,the change in routine might not have registered.
    We see this all the time when otherwise loving ,responsible parents leave their kids in the car because they weren't used to being the daycare transportation.
    [/quote]
    Nah. Negligence and stupidity. I can't see how it could happen.

Maybe she loved the dogs more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25644.msg1649663#msg1649663 date=1276794120]
    Nah. Negligence and stupidity. I can't see how it could happen.

Maybe she loved the dogs more.
    [/quote]

Maybe she did.If so I have one I can give her.He'll be safe as houses apparently
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

[quote author=happy phantom link=topic=25644.msg1649752#msg1649752 date=1276797749]

Maybe she did.If so I have one I can give her.He'll be safe as houses apparently
    [/quote]

The 'baby' was 11.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25644.msg1649763#msg1649763 date=1276798896]
    The 'baby' was 11.
    [/quote]Doesn't it also say the &quot;baby&quot; was visiting with him? Why isn''t anyone jumping her ass.

[quote author=ICDEDPPL link=topic=25644.msg1649802#msg1649802 date=1276801595]
    Doesn't it also say the &quot;baby&quot; was visiting with him? Why isn''t anyone jumping her ass.
    [/quote]

Wut?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25644.msg1649804#msg1649804 date=1276801687]
    Wut?
    [/quote]Sorry, I only got 2 hours sleep. Didn't the article say the mother was visiting with the grandson? Why wouldn't she make sure he got out?

[quote author=ICDEDPPL link=topic=25644.msg1649808#msg1649808 date=1276801820]
    Sorry, I only got 2 hours sleep. Didn't the article say the mother was visiting with the grandson? Why wouldn't she make sure he got out?
    [/quote]

That's a good point. Where was his mother?

Thread Information