Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyron Horman (7) missing after being dropped off for school Science Fair.

Kyron Horman (7) missing after being dropped off for school Science Fair.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Emergency crews are searching around Skyline Elementary School after a student didn't return home Friday afternoon.

A Portland Public Schools spokesman said Kyron Horman, 7, was dropped off for a science fair at the school by his step-mother at 8:45 a.m., wasn't seen after that, and he never returned home Friday afternoon.  District officials were notified that the boy was missing at around 4 p.m.  Crews with the FBI, Multnomah Co. Sheriff's Office, and Portland Police Bureau are searching the area of the school, which is on NW Skyline Blvd. just east of NW Cornelius Pass Rd., with officers, deputies, and search dogs.

Anyone who has seen Kyron or knows of his whereabouts was asked to call 503-261-2847.  He was last seen wearing a science-themed t-shirt.

PPS sent an automated phone message to parents of students at Skyline Elementary, but parents of students at other schools across the district have also reported getting the message. PPS Spokesman Matt Shelby said the message was only intended to go to Skyline parents, but he said it's good that more people may be aware of the missing child.
    http://www.kgw.com/news/Second-grade-student-missing-from-Skyline-Elementary-95670454.html

Re: Kyron Horman (7) missing after being dropped off for school Science Fair.

1st prize for his cloaking device project.

Honestly, At first.. I kind of suspected the Step-mother... But after this story, I dont think she is to blame. She actually took a picture of him with his science project right before he disappeared, and posted it to her Facebook that day.  

Very weird circumstances... I think Hyper is right. The kids REAL project was a cloaking device or time machine, and he disappeared and cannot make it bring him back.

Friday began as a special day for 7-year-old Kyron Horman. His school in Northwest Portland was having a science fair and he was keen to show off his project to his stepmother.

So, instead of taking the bus near his home off Cornelius Pass Road as usual, he hopped into the car with his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, who drove him to Skyline Elementary School.

They arrived sometime after the school opened about 8 a.m., went to his classroom, dropped off his coat and backpack and he showed his stepmother his exhibit, "The Red-Eyed Tree Frog."

Horman, who has raised Kyron since he was an infant, snapped a picture of him standing in front of it that she later posted on her Facebook page. It shows a bespectacled and beaming short-haired boy wearing a blue "CSI" T-shirt in front of an exhibit with photos of bug-eyed frogs, an anatomical drawing of the creature and other artwork.

"He was so excited about his science project," said Carol Moulton, Horman's mother and Kyron's grandmother. "They had worked on it together. He was anxious to take it to school and show it off."

After that, the two looked at other projects set up on desks in classrooms. There are about 300 students at Skyline Elementary, and all of them were invited to contribute to the fair.

Although the school usually opens at 8:35 a.m. and the final bell rings 10 minutes later, the school opened as early as 8 Friday for the science fair, said Matt Shelby, spokesman for Portland Public Schools.

Other students and parents showed up early as well to check out the fair, and Terri and Kyron saw people they knew while looking at the exhibits, Carol Moulton said.

Terri often volunteers at the school, working closely with Kyron's teacher, Kristina Porter. Shelby said that Porter saw Kyron in her classroom with his stepmom before 8:45 a.m. and another instructor reported seeing him in another classroom at some point.

At 8:45 a.m. when the bell rang, Terri walked her stepson down the hall close to his class.

"He told her, 'I'm going back to the classroom, Mom,' and she waves to him and left," Carol Moulton said. "She thought he was safely at school just like he is everyday."

What happened to the boy who went missing is unclear.

Carol Moulton said the kids were supposed to report to their classes and be divided into small groups of a few students each. Each group was supposed to tour the science fair with a chaperone. Afterward, when they returned to their classes for roll call, Kyron wasn't there, she said.

After leaving the school, Terri went about her day, running errands and taking care of household chores. She is a former elementary school teacher and has worked as a substitute teacher at various schools, but Moulton said that in recent years she has mainly been a stay-at-home mom.

Kyron's father, Kaine Horman, works at Intel's main administrative facility in Oregon, the Jones Farm campus in Hillsboro, the company said.

Kyron's biological mother, Desiree Horman, and his father were officially divorced in February 2003, according to Washington County Circuit Court records.

Carol Moulton said that Kaine, 36, and Terri, 40, have been together for seven or eight years and that they have been married for four or five years. The couple have an 18-month-old girl.

"Terri has raised Kyron," her mother said. "She's been with him since he was an infant. She's as much of a mom as the mom is because the parents had separated about the time that Kyron was born."

She said he visits his biological mother in Medford every couple of weeks and that Desiree, 38, came to Portland as soon as she heard about his disappearance.

Kyron was supposed to take the bus home Friday, so Terri went to the bus stop at 3:30 p.m. to pick him up.

But the bus driver told her he wasn't there.

Panicked, she ran home and called the school to discover that he had been marked absent for the day.

She called 9-1-1, setting off a search that's drawn in a swarm of officers and several law enforcement agencies, including the FBI.

Officers, working with sniffer dogs, have combed the hilly, wooded area around Skyline Elementary.

Moulton doubts Kyron wandered off on his own. It's just not in his character, she said.

"He's a little bit dreamy. He's a sweet kid. He gets distracted. He's your typical second-grader," she said.

But he's no Huckleberry Finn.

"He's not real adventurous," she said. "He's a little timid. But if a friend wanted to go outside and look at something, he would follow the friend. He has a friend who he regularly gets in trouble with in the classroom because he talks too much."

Moulton said Kyron will not even venture far from his home in a wooded area.

"He won't get out of sight of the house," she said. "He's pretty insecure about that. So I can't see him wandering off."

His disappearance is devastating for the close-knit family, which plays board games together, goes bowling and enjoys visits to the Oregon Zoo. A few years ago, the family took a trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

Terri also has a 16-year-old son from a former marriage who has lived with her mom and dad for the past few months in Roseburg. The teen's father also lives in the area and the two are on a Boy Scout camping trip this weekend.

It will be difficult to give him the news, Moulton said.

"It's a total mystery," she said. "He just vanished. I just can't believe it."
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

She raised him since infancy. It's not like the stepmother stories where she suddenly found herself having to raise a child who wasn't hers. Doesn't mean she didn't do it, though. I wonder how much of that project he did himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

After reading up on this little guy, I am obviously hoping that he is found alive but I am nervous at this point.  He has been missing since Friday morning, potentially.  There are a lot of questions to be answered that I am sure the police know but they are not releasing at this time. 

The parents say that he knows not to go with strangers and he is somewhat cautious/nervous to go out of sight of their own house.  Unless he was abducted at the school itself, I highly doubt he went out of school on his own or with a stranger willingly.  And I have read speculation that he could be locked in a storage closet or utlity room at the school.  If he wasn't curious, like the parents have said, I would think he wouldn't have gone exploring through random doors.

There are teachers who said they saw him that morning.  If that's the case, why didn't they become alarmed when he was marked absent, especially if his science project, school bag, and lunch were at the school?

I am so perplexed.  I think someone he knows took him.  Either a parent or someone he recognizes.

I wonder if, since he had been seen with his mother earlier, they thought he left with her for some reason? My daughter's school doesn't call if kids aren't at school, so they could be missing all day and nobody would be alerted. It's weird though that if they knew he was there earlier they didn't take more note of it when he was not there later. But, it's possible the teachers who saw him earlier were not the teachers who would have had him for classes.

I still want to think the step mom had something to do with it, but there is nothing to base that on. It's just because it's the usual outcome of these disappearances, I suppose.

I hope they have searched the school inch by inch just in case he did get himself locked in a closet or something somehow, although I would think he would be hollering his head off.

I'm sure they've checked the bio mom out carefully, too. I hope we get some info soon.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar

If you go here, you can see on the map theres a shit ton of trees behind the school.  He could be anywhere still.  :2sad:

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25612.msg1641878#msg1641878 date=1275870223]
    I wonder if, since he had been seen with his mother earlier, they thought he left with her for some reason? My daughter's school doesn't call if kids aren't at school, so they could be missing all day and nobody would be alerted. It's weird though that if they knew he was there earlier they didn't take more note of it when he was not there later. But, it's possible the teachers who saw him earlier were not the teachers who would have had him for classes.

I still want to think the step mom had something to do with it, but there is nothing to base that on. It's just because it's the usual outcome of these disappearances, I suppose.

I hope they have searched the school inch by inch just in case he did get himself locked in a closet or something somehow, although I would think he would be hollering his head off.
    [/quote]

Theres some reports that some teachers saw him leave with the stepmom.  But why bring the kid to school to see the science project, take pics, and then leave?

[quote author=Seraphim link=topic=25612.msg1641879#msg1641879 date=1275870240]
    If you go here, you can see on the map theres a shit ton of trees behind the school.  He could be anywhere still.  :2sad:
    [/quote]

My grandson disappeared from school when he was in kindergarten and my daughter and I opened every door and looked in every box and trash can in the place searching. His school also had woods behind it and in the back of my mind I just kept thinking how easily someone could have grabbed him and taken him into the woods. Turned out he had decided to walk home by himself.

Anyway, yeah, looks like a lot of hiding area, if he's hiding himself or someone hid him.

[quote author=Seraphim link=topic=25612.msg1641881#msg1641881 date=1275870336]
    Theres some reports that some teachers saw him leave with the stepmom.  But why bring the kid to school to see the science project, take pics, and then leave?
    [/quote]

Only if she had other plans for him that day.  :|

[quote author=Seraphim link=topic=25612.msg1641881#msg1641881 date=1275870336]
    [/quote]

I read somewhere that the stepmom told the teacher he had an appointment...  but apparently it was for the following week?

Something isn't adding up.  I just don't understand why the stepmom, who raised him, would do something negative to him in any way.

[quote author=soultosqueeze link=topic=25612.msg1641884#msg1641884 date=1275870518]
    I read somewhere that the stepmom told the teacher he had an appointment...  but apparently it was for the following week?

Something isn't adding up.  I just don't understand why the stepmom, who raised him, would do something negative to him in any way.
    [/quote]

Biological parents do stuff to their kids all the time, though.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25612.msg1641886#msg1641886 date=1275870621]
    Biological parents do stuff to their kids all the time, though.
    [/quote]

Good point, good point. 

I am hoping she had nothing to do with it but right now, to me, it seems like she is the likely option. . .

KittysAunt 1p ·  1 day ago
    I am good friends with the missing boy Kyron and I need to fill in some blanks for your posters. Kyron lives in a marvelous home and is taken care of by two wonderful parents. He has a baby sister and an older brother and loves his stepmom dearly. There is nothing but support for him at home and this is a terrible shock that has happened. Stop turning everything into a CSI story line. What they didn't say is that Kyron's backpack and jacket were found in his classroom, so the something fishy is coming form the school who never reported him missing. The children pointed out to the teacher that Kyron was missing and she never called his parents. I am worried sick and the last thing anyone needs to do is point at the parents ... this time, the school dropped the ball and a child is out in the darkness possibly alone or possibly abducted. Keep your facts straight before you start the witch hunt. Kyron's Portland Aunt

[quote author=soultosqueeze link=topic=25612.msg1641892#msg1641892 date=1275872123]
    KittysAunt 1p ·  1 day ago
    I am good friends with the missing boy Kyron and I need to fill in some blanks for your posters. Kyron lives in a marvelous home and is taken care of by two wonderful parents. He has a baby sister and an older brother and loves his stepmom dearly. There is nothing but support for him at home and this is a terrible shock that has happened. Stop turning everything into a CSI story line. What they didn't say is that Kyron's backpack and jacket were found in his classroom, so the something fishy is coming form the school who never reported him missing. The children pointed out to the teacher that Kyron was missing and she never called his parents. I am worried sick and the last thing anyone needs to do is point at the parents ... this time, the school dropped the ball and a child is out in the darkness possibly alone or possibly abducted. Keep your facts straight before you start the witch hunt. Kyron's Portland Aunt
    [/quote]

If only we had some.

First, I want his CSI shirt. Second, I actually had a red tree frog shirt when I was little.

I hope he's just lost somewhere. :-(

Posted by nikki
    June 06, 2010, 11:45PM

Wow...after looking at numerous pics on the stepmoms FB page, poor Kyron is an afterthought in that family. Of her 93 profile pics, 3 have Kyron with the family.(none just of him) The other 90 feature the baby, baby and stepmom, baby & daddy etc. As a mother, that is just odd and super unfair to me. All the albums feature the baby, rarely poor Kyron. I am shocked she managed a science fair picture and posted it on FB the same day? Hmmm... he was not photographed much, hardly ever, previously. Hoping my hunch is dead wrong!!!!!!!!! Hang in there little buddy!

Posted by JOACKA
    June 07, 2010, 5:21AM

IF This happened on friday why was the stepmom playing on farmville in facebook at 5:34 on friday. Does not seem like a worried mom to me.

Posted by RandomDood
    June 06, 2010, 9:16AM

Here are some facts that wont make the news, from someone who has heard everything, here are some facts.
    -The step mom walked to the classroom with Kyron to drop off his backpack but chose not to walk him back to the classroom when the show was over. (For anyone who has ever been to an elementary school, it is very weird for a parent not to walk their second grader back to class and say good bye)
    -The step mom saw the teacher, is a crowded and loud gym, to inform her that Kyron had an appointment. Thats all that was said. Thats why when the teacher saw Kyron wasn't in class she thought nothing of it.
    -The step mom acknowledged the fact that she said Kyron had an appointment, but she said that she ment it was for next week.
    -The step mom e mailed the teacher when she got home asking when she would pick up his science fair stuff.

Cherlyn Guido
    Hang in there my friend...Love ya...
    Yesterday at 12:30am

Terri Moulton Horman
    Hanging...
    Yesterday at 12:33am

is it odd that i find this response a little disturbing. not to mention her labeling her children in the picture with the last name of Horman yes i do know that is the last time but my point being that for Kyron it just says Kyron not Kyron Horman. i take not of small details like this not sure why but this woman just screams out to me that she knows more than she is leading on.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Second-grade...-95670454.html
    PORTLAND, Ore. -- There was no sign yet Sunday of a Skyline Elementary School student who didn't return home from classes on Friday afternoon.

Searchers from a dozen Oregon police agencies, in addition to the FBI, were involved in the case.

Kyron Horman, 7, was last seen early in the day at the school at 11536 NW Skyline Blvd., during a science fair.

Parents and students voluntarily came to the school on Sunday on a staggered basis to interview with detectives to glean more information about Kyron's interests and school activities.

He  is 3 foot 8 and 50 pounds, with blue eyes and brown hair. He was wearing black cargo pants, white socks, worn black Skecher tennis shoes with orange trim and a dark-colored t-shirt with the "CSI" show logo.

PHOTOS: Kyron Horman missing

Portland school officials said two school resource officers would be put in place to provide enhanced security at Skyline School, and counselors would be on hand Monday and Tuesday to assist students and staff.

The district was also mandating the use of an automated attendance call system to notify families of any unexcused absences.

Officials were also reviewing arrival and dismissal practices. 

In addition to police, the Oregon National Guard and search and rescue units were involved in the effort. In all, over 150 officers were working the case, said Captain Jason Gates of the Multnomah County sheriff's office.

Gates said Saturday that police received a 9-1-1 call at 3:45 Friday afternoon.

In most cases, missing children are often at the homes of a friend or a favorite hangout, he said, but those leads were quickly eliminated and police realized a major search needed to be launched.

As many as 15 Portland police officers were the first responders, Gates said. They searched the school grounds and immediate area without finding the child. The scope of the search and investigation was then quickly widened.

That first search included police bureau dogs who sniffed areas of the building where the boy might have been hidden from view. The roof was also searched, he said.

The Horman family has been very cooperative, he said, and are doing the best they can under traumatic circumstances. The birth mother came to Portland after her son was reported missing. All parents were in constant contact with detectives, he said.

Gates asked all neighbors to thoroughly search their properties, including outbuildings, a "no stone left unturned" search. He also asked neighbors to cooperate with detectives who ask to come on to their property.

While many civilians may want to help with the search, he said to please stay away and let the professional searchers, of which there are now a considerable number, do their jobs.

Gates said no Amber Alert was issued. That tool works only when citizens can be offered descriptions of specific suspects or vehicles. That's not the case here, he said.

Gates gamely fielded a barrage of questions but declined to answer most. The strategy of the investigation Saturday, he said, was to collect strong tips. Passing out information could taint a person's memory, or prompt false tips, he said.

Parent Gina Zimmerman was at the school for the science fair, which she described as major academic and social event for the school where the day's events included an afternoon talent show.

She said Kyron is not the type of child to wander off. "He knows 'stranger danger," she said. "He's a really good kid."

Parents are shocked at the disappearance, she said, and have been calling to share concerns at "our little school where everyone knows everybody."

She last saw Kyron in the morning, when he posed in a classroom in front of his "red-eyed tree frog" science project. He was posing for a picture taken by his mother, whom he loves, Zimmerman said.

Zimmerman's daughter Madi is one of Kyron's best friends.

The 8-year-old said she and Kyron would play Dragons and Knights and sway together on the tire swings. "I'm very worried and I hope he's okay," she said.

She also said Kyron would not have gone off with a stranger, only with his mother, whom he loves.

Portland Public Schools spokesman Matt Shelby said two teachers saw Kyron with his stepmother and thought the two left school together. He said it was common for parents to pick up kids this way, so no suspicions were raised.

District officials were notified that the boy was missing at around 4 p.m.

Police upgraded the case Saturday night to a Major Crime Teams investigation to allow more police resources to be tapped, said Multnomah County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand.

Staff of the FBI, the Oregon State Police, the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, Portland  Gresham and Fairview police were searching area of the school, which is on NW Skyline Blvd. just east of NW Cornelius Pass Road. Canine units and search and rescue organizations have also been called out, she said.

Capt. Gates said the number of agencies would continue to grow.

Lindstrand said about 20 miles of roadway and two square miles of land were part of the search area.

Anyone who has seen Kyron or knows of his whereabouts was asked to call (503) 261-2847.

PPS sent an automated phone message to parents of students at Skyline Elementary, but parents of students at other schools across the district have also reported getting the message.

Shelby said the message was only intended to go to Skyline parents, but he said it's good that more people may be aware of the missing child.

:-(  This is happening in my city. 

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

I didn't think "step mother" at first but now my suspicions have been raised...I hope it wasn't her though....poor kid!

His step-mom was playing Family Feud on FB at 8:01 that morning:

Terri Moulton Horman
    Terri needs help to win Fast Money!!
    Terri could use help to win big prizes and points in Family Feud! Earn points by helping!
    First Fast Money Question:Name something you need when you give your dog a bath.
    Friday at 8:01am via Family Feud · Help Terri Now

And was playing Treasure Isle and posting pics in her FB June 2010 album between 1:21 and 2:34:

Terri Moulton Horman
    Terri is now a Pretty Pirate in Treasure Isle!
    Terri got a nice reward for being a great treasure hunter and wants to share some with you!
    Friday at 2:34pm via Treasure Isle · Get the bonus

Terri Moulton Horman
    Terri just traded in the The Lost Adventuress treasures in Treasure Isle!
    Terri got a huge reward for their hard work and wants to share it with you!
    Friday at 2:34pm via Treasure Isle · Get A Bonus

Terri Moulton Horman
    JUNE 2010
    9 new photos
    Friday at 1:21pm · View Feedback (5)Hide Feedback (5) · Share
    Sure hope they find him.

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=25612.msg1642087#msg1642087 date=1275923996]
    His step-mom was playing Family Feud on FB at 8:01 that morning:

And was playing Treasure Isle and posting pics in her FB June 2010 album between 1:21 and 2:34:

Sure hope they find him.

[/quote]

I am assuming they are checking out an alibi for her.  Maybe she ran some errands and she went home and used facebook and didn't even know anything had happened.  On the other hand, maybe the lapse of time when she was online says something?  I am not sure.  I hope they find him safe and SOON.

[quote author=jdm1105 link=topic=25612.msg1642047#msg1642047 date=1275917864]
    Cherlyn Guido
    Hang in there my friend...Love ya...
    Yesterday at 12:30am

Terri Moulton Horman
    Hanging...
    Yesterday at 12:33am

is it odd that i find this response a little disturbing. not to mention her labeling her children in the picture with the last name of Horman yes i do know that is the last time but my point being that for Kyron it just says Kyron not Kyron Horman. i take not of small details like this not sure why but this woman just screams out to me that she knows more than she is leading on.
    [/quote]

Her labeling with the last name is a facebook thing.  If the person in the pic has a facebook you can link the pic to their facebook. If you click the blue name - it goes to their facebook.  Kyron doesn't have a facebook, hence the no link/last name thing.

From this news story, those Facebook posts might be her online alibi...

So, instead of taking the bus near his home off Cornelius Pass Road as usual, he hopped into the car with his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, who drove him to Skyline Elementary School.

They arrived sometime after the school opened about 8 a.m., went to his classroom, dropped off his coat and backpack and he showed his stepmother his exhibit, "The Red-Eyed Tree Frog."
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=25612.msg1642140#msg1642140 date=1275927519]
    From this news story, those Facebook posts might be her online alibi...

[/quote]

You're right.. 

I have read in several comment sections that they are making a big deal out of the stepmom not walking him all the way to his classroom.  My mom never did.  Maybe my mom was a shit parent but I thought she was and still is pretty kick ass.

I hope she has nothing to do with it.  Some of her posts on the book seem a little weird but who am I to judge?  I have never been through anything like that.

[quote author=soultosqueeze link=topic=25612.msg1642151#msg1642151 date=1275928009]
    You're right.. 

I have read in several comment sections that they are making a big deal out of the stepmom not walking him all the way to his classroom.  My mom never did.  Maybe my mom was a shit parent but I thought she was and still is pretty kick ass.

I hope she has nothing to do with it.  Some of her posts on the book seem a little weird but who am I to judge?  I have never been through anything like that.
    [/quote]

Boy am I thankful for my kids school.  You have to walk them into the classroom and the teacher or one of the two helpers is there. If school has already started you have to get buzzed in. After school, if they dont ride the bus, you have to go and get them from in the class.

Thread Information