Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A curious journalist...

Re: A curious journalist...

[quote author=BarryMalone link=topic=4477.msg169935#msg169935 date=1170374803]
    Nekkids? Irish people are sexy?!! How easy is it to get a visa to the US..?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I had to rush out to a gig by a band from over your side of the Atlantic - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. They were okay but the sound was shit, the place stank and my feet stuck to the floor. And my brother caught some pickpockets which sort of put a downer on the night.

Now I'm home and drunk and working.

So thanks to those who've replied so far. Your posts have been enlightening and sensible.

And keep up with the lyrics....
    [/quote]

Well being you're home and drunk, get working on those nekkids!  A gal can't live on death alone 

[quote author=[Pandora] link=topic=4477.msg170014#msg170014 date=1170376906]
    i'll touch your wood. 
    [/quote]

I refer you to my visa question above.

[quote author=BarryMalone link=topic=4477.msg170021#msg170021 date=1170377123]
    I refer you to my visa question above.
    [/quote]

haha, i like you. you're one of those cool journalists.

[quote author=[Pandora] link=topic=4477.msg169147#msg169147 date=1170353618]
    ive talked to plenty of reporters already. he can contact me on myspace or in a PM if he wants to talk to me specifically, but other than that, someone else can have at it.
    [/quote]

And to think it all started out so Harry met Sallyish. We'll tell our kids about this.

[quote author=BarryMalone link=topic=4477.msg170028#msg170028 date=1170377393]
    And to think it all started out so Harry met Sallyish. We'll tell our kids about this.
    [/quote]

we were meant to be. thank god for MDS.

Okay. "Peace out" everyone. (I've been here: http://www.englishdaily626.com/slang.php)

Not to hammer home a cultural stereotype but it's time for this drunken Irishman to get some sleep.

If anyone else wants to answer my questions, that'd be "phat". (Here again: http://www.englishdaily626.com/slang.php?091)

Night night.

:sleep:

[quote author=BarryMalone link=topic=4477.msg170050#msg170050 date=1170378267]
    Okay. "Peace out" everyone. (I've been here: http://www.englishdaily626.com/slang.php)

Not to hammer home a cultural stereotype but it's time for this drunken Irishman to get some sleep.

If anyone else wants to answer my questions, that'd be "phat". (Here again: http://www.englishdaily626.com/slang.php?091)

Night night.

:sleep:
    [/quote]

ill see you later, stud. 

I called you 26 minutes after you emailed me Barry and there was no response! I looked up the time in Dublin and it was after 3AM. haha.

I answered all these via email, which I believe you got.

Please make good on your promise to send a hard copy when the article runs.

~MP

Have any of you taken steps to have your online lives (myspace profiles, youtube accounts, blogs etc) cleaned up in the event that you die? I.e Told a friend or family member to go online and inform people of your death, remove them, given them your passwords etc. Would there be people who you only know online (friends from this forum for example) who might not find out about your death? Would that bother you? Should people who spend a lot of time online come up with a list of online friends who should be informed if they die?

I told my dad that I wanted to be on here and I have told my friends to submit me.

What do you say to the people who think this site is "wrong" or "sick" etc etc?

I like this site and I am sure they just don't understand.
    I have told people that yes you can discuss death but that is not all that is here.

Would any of you, honestly, mind if one of your own family members was featured on the site? Do you understand when family members react badly?
    I would submit my family to this site and my friends too. I do understand but they should understand that someone is
    always going to say something bad about someone whether they are dead or not. Especially if you die in a very stupid way.

What do you think about the phenomenon of profiles becoming online shrines? Do you think it helps with the grieving process?
    I am sure it does help people they seem to talk about things that may have been unsettled or they will just tell them about their day and how much they wish they were there. Seems a bit easier than doing it in your head.

What other sites do you regularly visit?
    A couple other forums and myspace.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who answers.
    No problem.
    Are you really sure you just saw what you think you just saw?  Life is a random hallucination. Dare to Disbelieve.

[quote author=EatTheChildren link=topic=4477.msg170119#msg170119 date=1170383148]
    Have any of you taken steps to have your online lives (myspace profiles, youtube accounts, blogs etc) cleaned up in the event that you die? I.e Told a friend or family member to go online and inform people of your death, remove them, given them your passwords etc. Would there be people who you only know online (friends from this forum for example) who might not find out about your death? Would that bother you? Should people who spend a lot of time online come up with a list of online friends who should be informed if they die?

I told my dad that I wanted to be on here and I have told my friends to submit me.

I like this site and I am sure they just don't understand.
    I have told people that yes you can discuss death but that is not all that is here.

Would any of you, honestly, mind if one of your own family members was featured on the site? Do you understand when family members react badly?
    I would submit my family to this site and my friends too. I do understand but they should understand that someone is
    always going to say something bad about someone
    whether they are dead or not. Especially if you die in a very stupid way.

What do you think about the phenomenon of profiles becoming online shrines? Do you think it helps with the grieving process?
    I am sure it does help people they seem to talk about things that may have been unsettled or they will just tell them about their day and how much they wish they were there. Seems a bit easier than doing it in your head.

A couple other forums and myspace.

No problem.
    [/quote]

And that someone might be you!  :lol:

Just maybe, If I die do you promise to make fun of me? :2tongue:
    Are you really sure you just saw what you think you just saw?  Life is a random hallucination. Dare to Disbelieve.

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=4477.msg170094#msg170094 date=1170381547]
    I called you 26 minutes after you emailed me Barry and there was no response! I looked up the time in Dublin and it was after 3AM. haha.

I answered all these via email, which I believe you got.

Please make good on your promise to send a hard copy when the article runs.

~MP
    [/quote]

haha. Yeah, I saw a missed 3am call from an American number the next morning and initially got a chill down my spine. Have an American ex....

You were the last person I emailed before going to sleep that night. Not because I'm a hard worker but because I leave everything to the last minute. Yeah, I'll send you a copy no problem. It's for the Saturday magazine of the most respected newspaper over here. I'll be writing the piece this weekend but not sure how I'll be putting it together yet. Might email you for another comment or two if anything else occurs.

Thanks again for all the help,

Barry.

And thanks again to all those who've responded so far. Instant karma's gonna come and get you.

what paper is it for?

[quote author=Lexa link=topic=4477.msg170420#msg170420 date=1170413039]
    what paper is it for?
    [/quote]

Ah, you'll just dispute my most respected in Ireland claim. It's for the Irish Times.

[quote author=BarryMalone link=topic=4477.msg168681#msg168681 date=1170324704]
    Hello there,

I'm a journalist from Ireland writing a story about what happens to a person's online presence when they die. I came across this site sometime last year and, like you lot, spent hours going through the profiles of the people listed here. Anyway, I'll be including this place in my article.

[size=9pt]*waves* across the water[/size]

I have a few questions for anyone who has a spare minute and I might use answers in the piece. I'll also forward it to Mike for inclusion in the media section.

Right. The questions.

Why do you visit this site? What is it you get from it?

[size=9pt]I'm very nosey, I'm a researcher by trade and so my life is spent asking questions[/size]

[size=9pt]
    I haven't linked my myspace so I suppose I'm not really 'playing the game' very fairly but I only have a myspace in order to nose around other myspaces... is that bad? My online presence is actually found on diaryland orginally and then livejournal, screeds of self obsessed witterings since about the year 2000, I doubt anyone would have the energy or interest to plough through all of that unless my way to go is suicide and they are as nosey as me. My boyfriend knows I  have a minor mydeathspace addiction and so he would submit me, I believe clever sleuths can use email addreses and suchlike and so my diary's would end up linked to me. I wouldn't change anything I have written. I'd hope my boyfriend would inform any online only friends that I had gone, if we both went together in a fiery plane crash or something then I'm not sure, I have half jokingly mentioned to family that I know people only online and they would need to tell them somehow but I don't think they took it very seriously. I do have a document in my C drive with passwords.[/size]

[size=9pt]We all have different tastes and interests[/size]

[size=9pt]I certainly wouldn't want to read anything bad about them, about deserving the death or anything but in the great scheme of things it's hardly the most important thing, the loss of a loved one would hurt more than uninformed conversation. Of course I can understand when some family members are easily upset or a bit defensive but I think most would calm down if they read the messages, most people are respectful of a death, especially if they were an innocent party, and people making hurtful comments are more often trolls and should simply be ignored.[/size]

[size=9pt]It absolutely can do but there also needs to be a gradual healing, it really is no different to years ago when people often lived close enough to family or loved ones to visit their graves regularly, no-one would suggest that was unhealthy or unhelpful unless you visited 200 times a day in which case plainly the grieving process has been halted and more support is needed, leaving a message at a loved one's myspace page is the modern equivalent for those who don't live in the same town.[/size]

[size=9pt]Discussion sites, livejournal, diaryland, news sites, weather sites etc[/size]

All the best,

Barry.

[/quote]

[quote author=EatTheChildren link=topic=4477.msg170159#msg170159 date=1170385631]
    Just maybe, If I die do you promise to make fun of me? :2tongue:
    [/quote]

Of course!  :-)

[quote author=miseryguts link=topic=4477.msg170468#msg170468 date=1170424200]

[/quote]

Thanks a lot. Very useful answers there. It's interesting what you say about keeping a file with your passwords. Apparently lawyers are now advising their clients to do this in their will, particularly for bank accounts, emails used for business purposes etc. I suppose it will become a matter of course eventually. We're still in relatively uncharted waters here.

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=4477.msg170472#msg170472 date=1170425289]
    Of course!  :-)
    [/quote]
    aw that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy  :2grin:

[quote author=EatTheChildren link=topic=4477.msg170492#msg170492 date=1170427015]
    aw that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy  :2grin:
    [/quote]

excellent!  and I'm sure you'll do the same for me.

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=4477.msg170498#msg170498 date=1170427513]
    excellent!  and I'm sure you'll do the same for me.
    [/quote]
    I suppose though I don't know you too well yet so other may be better at it than I.

[quote author=EatTheChildren link=topic=4477.msg170501#msg170501 date=1170427591]
    I suppose though I don't know you too well yet so other may be better at it than I.
    [/quote]

I'm sure you can wing it  :lol:

[quote author=BarryMalone link=topic=4477.msg170446#msg170446 date=1170418383]
    Ah, you'll just dispute my most respected in Ireland claim. It's for the Irish Times.
    [/quote]

oh it was only because i live in england.. thought i might have heard of it.. no dispute! :-D

Can I ask another question? Any chance anyone might remember a death - any death - featured here from Ireland? Just to try to bring the article closer to home. I've been searching away to no avail.

Incidentally, somebody wrote a letter to the newspaper I write for today calling me "crass, vulgar, tasteless and reprehensible in the extreme". Now I know how you all feel....

[quote author=BarryMalone link=topic=4477.msg171628#msg171628 date=1170468282]
    Can I ask another question? Any chance anyone might remember a death - any death - featured here from Ireland? Just to try to bring the article closer to home. I've been searching away to no avail.

Incidentally, somebody wrote a letter to the newspaper I write for today calling me "crass, vulgar, tasteless and reprehensible in the extreme". Now I know how you all feel....

[/quote]

Thread Information