Thread: Julie Kline (38), 8 others charged with accessing Obama's student loan data

Julie Kline (38), 8 others charged with accessing Obama's student loan data

Julie Kline's myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/136787186
    On 5/12/10 it said "mood: crappy"
    No doubt she's feeling crappy if this story just hit the papers...

Apparently, Kline and 8 other people were fired almost a year ago from an Iowa company that contracts with the Department of Education to service student loans.  They were fired when the company determined that they had inappropriately accessed President Obama's student loan records.

After a grand jury hearing, the 9 of them are now facing charges in US District Court with up to a year in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.  The article says they've been charged with "exceeding their authorized computer access," but it doesn't mention a specific federal statute.  If student loan data is anything like healthcare data there are likely some strict privacy protections in place (and being a loanholder myself, I hope there would be).

I could only find 2 myspace accounts, this one for Julie Kline and a blank one for John Phommivong (http://www.myspace.com/10306678)

Here's the story... http://www.dailyfinance.com/article/...-obama/966750/

IOWA CITY, Iowa -A Department of Education contractor in Iowa said Thursday that nine former employees charged with accessing President Barack Obama's student loan records were fired nearly a year ago.

Vangent Inc. spokeswoman Eileen Rivera said the workers were let go last June for violating the company's security policy after it learned what had occurred.

"An investigation identified a number of Vangent employees, among others, who inappropriately accessed student loan records," Rivera said in a statement. She said Vangent was not the subject of the investigation.

Authorities have not said why the nine people sought access to the records or if the information was then used in any way. Rivera also declined to comment on why they accessed the records.

"We do not know the intentions of the former employees," Rivera said. "However, no evidence of misuse of the data by the former employees was found."

The White House declined to comment Thursday.

The nine former employees are accused of gaining access to a computer at the Vangent office in Coralville office between July 2007 and March 2009, and accessing Obama's student loan records while he was either a candidate for president, president-elect or president.

They were indicted Wednesday on charges that they exceeded their authorized computer access. The U.S. attorney's office said a grand jury returned the indictments in U.S. District Court in Davenport.

Those charged are Gary Grenell, 58; Andrew J. Lage, 54, Patrick E. Roan, 51, Sandra Teague, 54, and Mercedes Costoyas, 53, all of Iowa City; Lisa Torney, 49, of Coralville; Anna C. Rhodes, 32, of Ainsworth; Julie L. Kline, 38, of West Branch; and John P. Phommivong, 29, of North Liberty.

Lage told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he wasn't aware of the charges, and declined to comment. He did not answer phone calls or e-mail messages on Thursday, and no one answered the door at his last listed address.

Teague told Cedar Rapids television station KCRG that she had nothing to do with the alleged accessing of Obama's records.

"I don't know what the others did, but I know that I did not do it," she said. "All of it was a shock to begin with because I knew I had not done that. I knew that something had occurred and that there was a breach of security."

None of the others charged could be reached for comment Thursday by the AP and it was unclear if they had hired attorneys. Their last known addresses ranged from small houses in leafy Iowa City suburbs to a North Liberty trailer park.

A man who answered the door at the listed Coralville address for Grenell said, "Gary doesn't live here anymore." He declined to be identified.

The nine are scheduled to be arraigned May 24. The charge is punishable by up to one year in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.

Rivera said Vangent has worked with the Department of Education for 30 years, and said the contract with its Coralville office is still active. She declined to disclose the terms of the contract, citing "competitive reasons."
    When will people learn?  They had to have been made aware of policies regarding access to high-profile accounts.  I work for a hospital system and we do full audits on the records of any 'VIP' that stays with us, along with random audits of all patients, to ensure the only people accessing their files had a specific medical or business reason to do so.  Is the information they saw worth their jobs? 
    A nap is only nice when it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Re: Julie Kline (38), 8 others charged with accessing Obama's student loan data

The hospital I work for does the same thing and no, it's totally not worth my job to look at records I have no business looking at.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

i don't want sum crazy bitches all gawking at my student loan debts and financial/SSI info...

reagrdless of whether or not i'm the Prez of our great country.
    One could not stand and watch very long without becoming philosophical, without beginning to deal in symbols and similes, and to hear the hog-squeal of the universe.

[quote author=cybotron_500 link=topic=25335.msg1628644#msg1628644 date=1274368376]
    i don't want sum crazy bitches all gawking at my student loan debts and financial/SSI info...

reagrdless of whether or not i'm the Prez of our great country.
    [/quote]

You're probably safe.  :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25335.msg1628753#msg1628753 date=1274377745]
    You're probably safe.  :-D
    [/quote]lol
    <br />It&#39;s always funny until someone gets hurt, And then it&#39;s fucking hilarious

Thread Information