Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brianna Maitland Missing March 19, 2004 - Montgomery, Vermont

Brianna Maitland Missing March 19, 2004 - Montgomery, Vermont

i've been following this since some magazine (can't remember, maybe People) did a write up on Brianna and Maura Murray a few months after both girls went missing.  I didn't know where to put it because i can't find an actual myspace for her, but there is a missing persons facebook for her.

Brianna:

How Brianna's car was found:

The FBI Missing Person Poster:
    http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/maitland.htm

This blog has a really interesting series on Brianna:
    http://theslamdunktrove.blogspot.com...ng-person.html

The Missing Person Facebook Group:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...gid=5351212247

This is the most current info i could find, from the Vermont State Police:
    http://www.dps.state.vt.us/vtsp/miss...and031810.html

STATE OF VERMONT
    DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    VERMONT STATE POLICE

PRESS RELEASE

INCIDENT: Missing Person / Brianna Maitland

DATE: March 18, 2010

March 19, 2010 marks the six year anniversary of the disappearance of Brianna Maitland.  Brianna Maitland, then 17 years old, was last seen at her place of employment, the Black Lantern Inn, located in Montgomery, VT.  Brianna reportedly left work on March 19, 2004, at approximately 11:20 pm. Brianna’s car was discovered the next day adjacent to an abandoned farmhouse, located on Vt. Route 118 in the town of Montgomery, a short distance from work.  Brianna’s parents, Bruce and Kellie Maitland reported Brianna missing to the Vermont State Police on March 23, 2004. 

The Vermont State Police continue to investigate the disappearance of Brianna Maitland.  To date, the State Police continue to receive and investigate active leads in this investigation.  In addition, investigators continue to conduct interviews and explore other investigative avenues in an attempt to uncover information.  The State Police will continue to explore any and all investigative avenues.

As a result of the investigation thus far, investigators believe there is a strong indication that Brianna is in fact a victim of foul play.  There is no evidence at this time to indicate that Brianna willingly left the area.  Despite reports early on in this investigation that Brianna’s disappearance may have been linked to “illegal drug activity”, investigators are unable to substantiate this connection.  The State Police remain optimistic that new information could lead to a resolution in this case.   

The State Police, along with the Maitland family, cannot overemphasize the importance of anyone coming forward with information. The Maitland family continues to offer a $20,000 reward for information. This reward includes $10,000 for anyone who can identify the exact location of Brianna and $10,000 for anyone with information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for her disappearance.

Anyone with information is asked to contact: Vermont State Police at (802)524-5993.   
    Here's a YouTube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zfngBMVI4U

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

Re: Brianna Maitland Missing March 19, 2004 - Montgomery, Vermont

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/vt-police-revive-search-for-brianna-maitland-missing-since-2004/19471657?icid=main|main|dl4|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww .aolnews.com%2Fcrime%2Farticle%2Fvt-police-revive-search-for-brianna-maitland-missing-since-2004%2F19471657

(May 10) -- Investigators in Vermont launched a ground search today in a renewed effort to locate Brianna Maitland, whose baffling disappearance six years ago sparked national media attention.

The new sweep, which focuses on an area not previously searched, was prompted by information that authorities received "as part of the ongoing investigation," Sgt. Tara Thomas, public information officer for the Vermont State Police, told AOL News.

Police have said there is a strong possibility that Maitland, who was 17 when she vanished, was the victim of foul play.

Dozens of searchers, including crime scene technicians and search and rescue personnel, are concentrating today on an area along Prive Hill Road in Richford. The location is a few miles from where Maitland is believed to have gone missing, Thomas said.

Maitland was last seen at approximately 11:20 p.m. on March 19, 2004, as she was finishing her shift as a dishwasher at the Black Lantern Inn in Montgomery.

The following day, Maitland's car, a green 1985 Oldsmobile 88, was found backed into a barn at an abandoned farmhouse on Route 118, roughly one mile from the Black Lantern Inn. The keys were missing, but two uncashed paychecks were on the front seat, and other miscellaneous belongings were found strewn on the ground around the car.

During a search of the area, investigators found a gun and drug paraphernalia inside the farmhouse, which had stood vacant for roughly six years.

According to the Cue Center for Missing Persons, it was not the first time investigators been to the farmhouse. In 1986, Myron and Harry Dutchburn, two brothers who lived at the home, were brutally beaten and robbed. The brothers were later placed in a nursing home due to their injuries. The crime remains unsolved.

More than 500 police officers and volunteers searched the woods around the farmhouse, but found no further signs of the missing teen.

Vermont State Police Capt. Glenn Hall said there is "no evidence" to indicate that Maitland had vanished on her own accord. On the day of her disappearance, she had passed her General Equivalency Diploma exam and was making plans to enroll in college.

Authorities thought they got a break in the case in October 2007, when a weathered pair of blue jeans was found in a wooded area not far from where Maitland went missing. Her parents told police they were the same brand and style their daughter would have worn. But state police technicians were unable to collect enough DNA from the jeans to determine if they were hers.

Maitland's parents, Bruce and Kellie Maitland, were unavailable for comment today. Both have been critical of the investigation in the past, especially when police decided to block a potential search by Texas EquuSearch, a missing-persons search and recovery group that has been involved with several high-profile cases, including that of Natalee Holloway in Aruba.

Investigators did not comment publicly on that decision, other than to say they were still following up on leads.

"I wish that no other parents would have to suffer what my husband and I have been through," Kellie Maitland said in a 2008 statement to the media. "I wish that somehow this whole thing could have been prevented."

According to Thomas, Maitland's parents, who now reside in New York, are believed to be en route to Vermont today. It is not yet known if they will be making a statement to the media.

As of late afternoon today, Thomas said it is too soon to determine how long the search will continue. "It all depends on whether we find anything," she said.

According to a state police press release issued today, the Maitland family is offering a $20,000 reward for information, which includes $10,000 for anyone who can identify where Brianna is and $10,000 for anyone with information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for her disappearance. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Vermont State Police at 802-524-5993.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

so that area is a sand/gravel pit.

http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=12457468

Search resumes for Brianna Maitland
    Richford, Vermont - May 10, 2010

Vermont state police resumed their search Monday for Brianna Maitland.

Investigators looked for her body in a Richford gravel pit after receiving a tip. Maitland was 17 when she disappeared in 2004. She was last seen at work in Montgomery. Her car was found abandoned the next day.

Monday two dozen searchers scoured the area about three miles from where the car was found. They had help from two cadaver search dogs brought in from Connecticut.

"This specific area is a sand pit and we have permission from the land owner to search this area, it's a sand pit that's surrounded by a wooded area," said Sgt. Tara Thomas of the Vermont State Police.

Maitland's father helped search teams Monday.

Police didn't find any evidence. More searches are planned.

Here's the transcript from Dateline NBC that aired on May 6: (never mind - that was 2007!)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18519247/ns/dateline_nbc/

I hope that they find what happened with her. her parents deserv it... 

Missing for 10 years now. That makes me feel old.

Ten years later, Vermont State Police say investigators continue to follow active leads in Brianna Maitland’s disappearance and believe she was a victim of foul play.

Maitland, 17-years-old at the time of her disappearance, was last seen leaving the Black Lantern Inn in Montgomery, where she worked, around 11:20 p.m. on March 19, 2004. Her car was discovered the next day on Route 118 in Montgomery, near an abandoned farmhouse and a short distance from the inn.

Vermont State Police say there is no evidence at this time to indicate Maitland willingly left the area.

The Maitland family, alongside the VSP, is encouraging anyone with information about the case to come forward. The family is offering a $20,000 reward. Half of that is for information leading to the exact location of Maitland and the other half is for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for her disappearance.

The VSP is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to the resolution of the case and/or for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or person responsible.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the VSP at 802-524-5993, the crime tip line at 802-241-5355, submit an anonymous tip at www.vtips.info or by texting ‘CRIMES’ (274637) with the keyword VTIPS.

Read more: http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new...#ixzz2wM1xL0jJ

Renewed effort to get information for the 11th anniversary of Brianna's disappearance.

http://www.wptz.com/news/new-clues-s...inkId=12975348
    New clues sought in Brianna Maitland's 2004 disappearance
    Teen last seen leaving work in 2004

UPDATED 2:21 PM EDT Mar 18, 2015

MONTGOMERY, Vt. ?Vermont State Police investigators are using the 11th anniversary of the disappearance of a Montgomery teenager to ask the public if anyone has any new information about the case.

Thursday marks the anniversary of when 17-year-old Brianna Maitland disappeared in 2004 after leaving her job at the Black Lantern Inn in Montgomery.

Her car was found the next day near an abandoned farmhouse.

Police say there is no evidence that Brianna left the area willingly and they believe she was a victim of foul play.

Detectives continue to investigate the case.

A total of $25,000 in rewards is being offered to help resolve the case.

Anyone with information is asked to contact: Vermont State Police at (802) 524-5993; the State Police Crime Information Tip Line at (802) 241-5355; or submit an anonymous tip at www.vtips.info or by texting ?CRIMES? (274637) with keyword: VTIPS.

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Aut...484158271.html

Authorities working to ID human remains found near Mason City

MASON CITY, Iowa -- Authorities in Iowa are trying to identify the remains of a woman found near Mason City earlier this month. While the ID has so far proven elusive, investigators say they are not those of missing KIMT news anchor Jodi Huisentruit.

The Cerro Gordo County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call at 1:07 p.m. on the 20th regarding human remains found in the 22000 block of 275th Street in rural Mason City.

Deputies from Cerro Gordo County Sheriff’s Office arrived a short time later and requested the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation for assistance at the scene. Investigators collected the skeletal remains and they were transported to the Iowa State Medical Examiner’s Office in Ankeny. An autopsy was performed on May 23, 2018. The results of the autopsy are not currently being released.

An anthropologist was able to determine that the remains may have been there for between 5 to 15 years. The remains are believed to be from a white female between 20-45 years of age, height between 5 foot to 5 foot 7 inches tall.

Authorities say the Iowa State Medical Examiner’s Office was able to definitively determine through a forensic odontologist that the remains are not those of Jodi Huisentruit who disappeared in 1995.

I'm confused. Do they think it might be Brianna for some reason? It's a pretty good hike from VT to IA. My first thought was definitely Jodi, until I saw they have already ruled her out.

I got the link to the story from her fb missing page, so the family think it is a possibility. I was hoping it could be either her or Maura Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by SalVal View Post
    I got the link to the story from her fb missing page, so the family think it is a possibility. I was hoping it could be either her or Maura Murray.
    Ah, I see. I was confused. I wish this poor family could get some closure.

NAMUS entry for the Mason City remains

https://namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/50298

No real updates, but I was reading a Reddit thread on her case & someone linked this 1989 article about the old house where her car was left.

That house had a sad & violent history before Brianna was born, so I thought I'd link it for some background.

Wayback link for pg 1

https://web.archive.org/web/20150818...mn-1799_1_mike

Wayback link for pg 2

https://web.archive.org/web/20150818...-1799_1_mike/2

Also, the Reddit link that led me to it has a lot of info about kids she was having trouble with shortly before her disappearance. I wasn't aware of most of that info when I last read about her case, so I'm linking the Reddit thread too

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedM...and_nearly_14/

Oops. Forgot. There was a kind of update

https://www.mychamplainvalley.com/ne...nce/1058723352

14 years later, Vermont State Police investigate active leads in Brianna Maitland disappearance

By: Alexandra Leslie
    Posted: Mar 19, 2018 09:07 AM EDT

Updated: Mar 19, 2018 09:07 AM EDT

Investigators Get Promising Leads from Brianna Maitland Tip Campaign

MONTGOMERY, Vt. - Monday, March 19, 2018 marks the 14 year anniversary of the disappearance of Brianna Maitland.

14 years later, detectives with Vermont State Police continue to investigate active leads in the case.

Maitland, 17 years old at the time of her disappearance, was last seen at the Black Lantern Inn, located in Montgomery, VT, where she worked.

Police say Maitland reportedly left work on March 19, 2004, at approximately 11:20PM.

Vermont State Police say her car was discovered the next day adjacent to an abandoned farmhouse, located on VT Route 118 in the town of Montgomery, a short distance from work.

State Police, along with the Maitland family, strongly emphasize the importance of anyone coming forward with information.

Vermont State Police is offering a reward of up to $5,000.00 for information leading to the resolution of this case and/or information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible.

Rewards are offered on specific major cases with an emphasis on unsolved homicides and missing persons, where foul play is suspected.

Anyone with information is asked to contact: Vermont State Police at (802) 524-5993; the State Police Crime Information Tip Line at (802) 241-5355; or submit an anonymous tip at www.vtips.info or by texting "CRIMES" (274637) with keyword: VTIPS.

View the Brianna Maitland flyer at www.facebook.com/VermontMissingPersons.

You can also find information about Brianna Maitland's case, including media reporting, on the Vermont State Police Unsolved Cases page, at http://vsp.vermont.gov/unsolved.

Also, for anyone unfamiliar with her case, this is where/how her car was found

Edit : duh. The pic is at the top of the thread. In my defence it didn't load when I posted this (thanks to Australia's failing internet infrastructure)
    Last edited by blighted star; 07-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.

I will never forget that pic, for someone reason it has always stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

DNA Solves is working on the DNA in this case. I didn't know until recently that they found someone's else's DNA in her stuff.

https://dnasolves.com/articles/brianna_maitland/

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This is one of the cases that continues to gnaw at me, if that makes sense. I really hope they can solve it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Good on Paul Holes! I got to meet him at Crimecon. Nice guy.

I wonder if it's the slice of lime that they tested. It's been said that there was a slice of lime found on the trunk of her car. Almost as if they were doing tequila shots or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Good on Paul Holes! I got to meet him at Crimecon. Nice guy.

I wonder if it's the slice of lime that they tested. It's been said that there was a slice of lime found on the trunk of her car. Almost as if they were doing tequila shots or something.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Good point!
    What I believe might have happened is that she met up with some people and they partied for a bit. Maybe doing shots, maybe doing drugs etc. I grew up in New England and sometimes there's nothing to really do so you find "party spots" and just sit around smoking weed and drinking (maybe drugs) and chill out with friends. Maybe even a bon fire if it's secluded enough. In my hometown it was either behind the dog pound, in the sand pits or what we called "Camelback" which was a hill up in the woods. Nothing too nefarious, just kids doing what kids do.

I think it was one of these kinds of situations and somehow she either overdosed or died somehow and the group panicked. To avoid getting in to trouble, they disposed of her body and tried to back her car in to the barn to hide it. Kids aren't exactly the smartest. When it didn't work, they abandoned the car and took off to hide her.

I can't think of a single reason why any killer would carry around cut up limes other than it was a get together with teenagers that went wrong.

ETA: Well.... Maybe not. I went to the Facebook group and found this post. Although I don't know how accurate it is.

Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 03-18-2022 at 03:22 PM.

Your theory sounds good, Boston. WTF is up with the lime wedge being ‘gone’?

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Your theory sounds good, Boston. WTF is up with the lime wedge being ‘gone’?
    Police not doing their job, I guess. *Surprised Pikachu Face*

DNA identified in search for Brianna Maitland, 17-year-old Vermont girl who went missing in 2004

Vermont State Police investigators used advanced DNA sequencing techniques to identify a sample found as part of their investigation into the 2004 disappearance of a 17-year-old girl in the town of Montgomery, police said Friday.

But investigators say identifying the source of the DNA found near the abandoned car of Brianna Maitland does not mean they have identified a suspect in her disappearance.

"We are continuing our active efforts to investigate every lead associated with this case, and we constantly look for new technological advances to aid in our investigation," lead investigator Detective Sgt. Angela Baker said in a statement. "The use of genetic genealogy to identify the DNA found 18 years ago is just one example of how detectives continue to track down every potential lead in this case."
    Full article: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brianna...-state-police/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brianna...id=CNR-01-0623

Brianna Maitland vanished 20 years ago. The FBI is now offering $40,000 to help solve the mystery.

Investigators said they believe Maitland is a victim of foul play and didn't leave willingly. Vermont State Police in 2022 announced they identified a DNA sample linked to the teen found on an item near the abandoned car. The DNA was entered into an FBI database and compared against 11 persons of interest, but no match was found.

After the sample was sent to Othram laboratories in Texas, officials tested the DNA and found that it matched DNA from a candidate donor. The police, however, weren't able to determine a suspect.

"There have been multiple leads followed up on throughout the years, but none have been able to locate Brianna," the Vermont State Police says on its case page.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brianna...id=CNR-01-0623

Brianna Maitland vanished 20 years ago. The FBI is now offering $40,000 to help solve the mystery.
    I really hope they find out what happened to her and where she is. I cannot imagine the pain her family has been going through all these years.

Thread Information