Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth

Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Sanford mother says she will never be able to hold her newborn because an Orlando hospital performed a life-altering surgery and, she claims, the hospital refuses to explain why they left her as a multiple amputee.

The woman filed a complaint against Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems, she said, because they won't tell her exactly what happened. The hospital maintains the woman wants to know information that would violate other patients' rights.

Claudia Mejia gave birth eight and a half months ago at Orlando Regional South Seminole. She was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando where her arms and legs were amputated. She was told she had streptococcus, a flesh eating bacteria, and toxic shock syndrome, but no further explanation was given.

The hospital, in a letter, wrote that if she wanted to find out exactly what happened, she would have to sue them.

Mejia said after she gave birth to Mathew last spring, she was kept in the hospital with complications. Twelve days after giving birth at Orlando Regional South Seminole hospital, she was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center where she became a quadruple amputee. Now she can not care for or hold her baby.

"Yeah, I want to pick him up. He wants me to pick him up. I can't. I want to, but I can't," she said. "Woke up from surgery and I had no arms and no legs. No one told me anything. My arms and legs were just gone."

Her 7-year-old son, Jorge, asks his mother over and over what happened to her. Neither she nor her husband has the answer.

"I love her, so I'll always stick with her and take it a day at a time myself," said her husband, Tim Edwards.

The couple wants to know how she caught streptococcus, during labor or after. She doesn't know. She knows she didn't leave the hospital the same.

"And why, I want to know why this happened," she said.

Her attorney, Judy Hyman wrote ORHS a letter saying, according to the Florida statute, "The Patients Right To Know About Adverse Medical Incidents Act," the hospital must give her the records.

"When the statute is named 'Patients Right To Know,' I don't know how it could be clearer," Hyman said.

The hospital's lawyers wrote back, "Ms. Mejia's request may require legal resolution." In other words, according to their interpretation of the law, Mejia has to sue them to get information about herself.

That's the sticking point, the interpretation of the Patients Right To Know act, a constitutional amendment Florida voters passed a little more than a year ago.

Mejia's other attorney, E. Clay Parker, said the hospital is not following the law

"We were forced to file this and ask a judge to interpret the constitutional amendment and do right," Parker said.

Mejia hopes the right thing is done. She said not knowing exactly why it happened is unbearable. She only hopes she'll be able to soon answer her little boy's question, 'What happened?'

"He told me everyday, 'What happened,' and I don't have any answers for that," she said.

ORMC said Mejia is requesting information on if there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus. They said, if they release that to her, that would be a violation of other patients' rights.

http://www.wftv.com/news/6253589/detail.html

Re: Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth

:-o  fuck that!

How can they not open her own medical records to her?????

This is one of the most idiotic stunts I have ever heard of.....
    <br />&quot;If you aren&#039;t going to use the head on your shoulders, I will remove it by any means necessary .&quot; <br />

It's probably the hospital's fault and they're trying to tiptoe around and hope she loses her head too.

TSS? They probably left a cloth in her during the surgery (particularily if it had been a c-section) and forgot it, thus resulting in an infection.

If it wasn't TSS, they probably did something stupid, like use a non-sterilized instrument on her, or a dirty cloth, whatever and it got into her circulatory system, which would explain why all of her major extremeties were amputated.

that SUCKS.

unbelievable!&nbsp; :-o

This is unbelievably TRAGIC!&nbsp; That poor woman!

:-(

kafkasroach

inconceivable!

this is strange.&nbsp; Why wouldnt they tell her? they have to unless that state has new laws that i never heard about.&nbsp; &nbsp; she would have to suie to find out what happened, that is just obserd, hospitals, doctors hate getting suied.&nbsp; i would give a arm and leg to find out what happened here. no iam kidding it popped in my mind so i typed it i really do feel for her though, very sad.
    (mannn i dont have anything flashy to put here!) I&#039;am not what your used to, can you handle it? Girls stop pushing up on me like I&#039;am your wonder bra!

[quote author=PengPeng link=topic=4452.msg167738#msg167738 date=1170258399]
    It's probably the hospital's fault and they're trying to tiptoe around and hope she loses her head too.

TSS? They probably left a cloth in her during the surgery (particularily if it had been a c-section) and forgot it, thus resulting in an infection.

If it wasn't TSS, they probably did something stupid, like use a non-sterilized instrument on her, or a dirty cloth, whatever and it got into her circulatory system, which would explain why all of her major extremeties were amputated.
    [/quote]

Ewwww. &nbsp;

I would HATE that to happen to me.
    It would suck!!!
    To the hospital: &nbsp;
    Perhaps i spent too long hibernating?

How could they do that to someone. :x
    Terrible terrible news, Makes me feel sick.
    Are you really sure you just saw what you think you just saw?&nbsp; Life is a random hallucination. Dare to Disbelieve.

Holy FUCK. That's awful! Honestly, I'm shocked and horrified, poor woman. Her poor family, too. I think I'd rather be dead than a quadruple amputee (at least until they have some halfway decent and affordable bionic arms). Seriously, what the hell kind of infection could she have got? It must have been bloody virulent to have attacked all of her limbs so badly that they needed amputation... argh. I hope they sue the ass off of that hospital, especially if it was their fault.

That's it.&nbsp; No more babies.&nbsp; Abortions all the way!

I know this wasn't her fault or anything,
    I really do think what was done to her was horrible,

but...

torsos are really creepy without limbs attached to them.

edit:
    I just looked at the link. I didn't put into account on how young she could be! That makes it even more terrible. :x

I'm confused by this, I assume the issue is that the hospital know that there was another patient with streptococcus and they have a right to protect that patient but does it really matter legally if another patient had it because with the correct hygiene practices it should not have been spread, so either way it's the hospitals fault, I don't suppose she could ever sue the patient who orginally had it?

Either way the poor woman, what an awful outcome for her not made any easier by the hospital.

That really sucks.

there goes her sex life.

kafkasroach

[quote author=Nicole link=topic=4452.msg169873#msg169873 date=1170371795]
    there goes her sex life.
    [/quote]

n there goes ur karma points.

as found on this web site:http://www.dcmsonline.org/legislative/biilrights.htm
    &quot;... the bill will allow them to get records once they already are patients in the hospital. And those records must be for the same condition that they are being treated for.&quot;
    I am a &quot;noob&quot;, so please forgive me if I have intruded.....I beg for mercy oh Great Ones..

[quote author=kafkasroach link=topic=4452.msg169901#msg169901 date=1170373473]
    n there goes ur karma points.

[/quote]

dont tell me this forum is really going to take these Karma points seriously

kafkasroach

[quote author=Nicole link=topic=4452.msg169946#msg169946 date=1170375074]
    [/quote]

lol the diff bet u n me, is that soon my karma will rise up.

RISE UP BABY!

my negatives r a temporary.

---

u?&nbsp;

[quote author=Nicole link=topic=4452.msg169946#msg169946 date=1170375074]
    [/quote]

Karma points are a serious matter.&nbsp; &nbsp; I'm happy to show you the importance of them by giving you one now. There you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    No one ever gets me. Where is Lawchick? We speak the same intellectual language.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Fuckin LawChick, how does she work?

kafkasroach

[quote author=LawChick link=topic=4452.msg169967#msg169967 date=1170375760]
    Karma points are a serious matter.&nbsp; &nbsp; I'm happy to show you the importance of them by giving you one now. There you go.
    [/quote]

lol. i knew u'd applaud me&nbsp;

---

u must be a chick.

Wow thats pretty messed up&nbsp; :2shocked:

kafkasroach

[quote author=Apathetic link=topic=4452.msg169984#msg169984 date=1170376122]
    Wow thats pretty messed up&nbsp; :2shocked:
    [/quote]

u just applauded me too. u must be a chick too.

---

u chicks r so predictable. it's not even funny.

Thread Information