Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homeowner opens fire, kills suspected intruder before he intrudes.

Homeowner opens fire, kills suspected intruder before he intrudes.

CHEHALIS, Wash.  -- The Lewis County sheriff says an Onalaska homeowner shot and killed a man last night in what appears to be an interrupted burglary.

But Sheriff Steve Mansfield says a number of questions remain for investigators, and they're not speculating whether the shooting was justified.

The 59-year-old homeowner told police he took a life to protect his own. He says the home he's been renovating had been broken into at about 5 p.m.

He planned on spending the night there in case the burglars came back.

At about 9:45, a man and a woman pulled into his driveway in a pick-up. When the owner opened the garage he saw the two holding flashlights.

The property owner opened fire, killing the 56-year-old man. The 31-year-old woman who had been in the pickup ran away, but later talked to deputies and was released.

But did the couple intend to break into the home? Did they pose a danger? Were they armed?

Those are some of the questions investigators are trying to answer before deciding if the homeowner was justified in shooting and killing the man.

"Is there a relationship here? Did they have a reason to be there? Did they have a right to be there? Were they invited there?" said Lewis County Sheriff Steve Mansfield.

Mansfield says property owners have the right to use deadly force if there's a genuine fear for their safety.

Neighbor Vicke Escue said she thought the homeowner did the right thing.

"If you're out there, breaking into someone's home ... if they come to my house, we have a gun," said Escue.

But another neighbor, who wanted to remain anonymous, said she thought the homeowner overreacted.

"A life should not be lost over walking on someone's property," said the woman.

She hopes the police take a close look at the case because her mother once had a run-in with the homeowner.

"Her and my sister were walking down there one day because we used to live there. He came out and threatened my mom and said he'd shoot her," she said.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/Lewis-County-homeowner-shoots-kills-home-intruder-91591194.html

OMGZ THEY HAS FLASHLIGHTS... EAT LEAD MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!

I think he over-reacted.  I think for him to claim that it was self defense, or defense of his property, They should have to break in first. He essentially ambushed them....

Re: Homeowner opens fire, kills suspected intruder before he intrudes.

With the shit that has happened to me, I would probably shoot first-ask questions later.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=25072.msg1602168#msg1602168 date=1271834160]

http://www.nwcn.com/news/Lewis-County-homeowner-shoots-kills-home-intruder-91591194.html

OMGZ THEY HAS FLASHLIGHTS... EAT LEAD MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!

I think he over-reacted.  I think for him to claim that it was self defense, or defense of his property, They should have to break in first. He essentially ambushed them....
    [/quote]
    What, he's supposed to wait until they're inside raping him? I could see if he was legitimately scared, but he sounds like the neighborhood crazy person.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25072.msg1602171#msg1602171 date=1271834597]
    What, he's supposed to wait until they're inside raping him? I could see if he was legitimately scared, but he sounds like the neighborhood crazy person.
    [/quote]

That's what I'm saying. He does sound like a nutter, though.  :lol:

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=25072.msg1602173#msg1602173 date=1271834698]
    That's what I'm saying. He does sound like a nutter, though.  :lol:
    [/quote]
    Pardon me sir, madam, but why are you raping me? Think you could be a friend and cut it out? I do not like it much. Not much at all.

Well, Since he knows they are there, and He has a gun... Maybe he could wait in the house and watch them.. Then as soon as they attempt to enter, he can open fire.

This isn't him waking up in the middle of the night to intruders in his house. He laid in wait for them to show up... Then throws the garage door open and starts shooting, seemingly without any sort of warning.  

It's not like he is a hardcore drug dealer and needs to watch out for his rivals... They were most likely a couple meth addicts trying to steal the metal to sell for drugs. He could have easily snuck out the back door and called the cops.

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=25072.msg1602177#msg1602177 date=1271835251]
    Well, Since he knows they are there, and He has a gun... Maybe he could wait in the house and watch them.. Then as soon as they attempt to enter, he can open fire.

This isn't him waking up in the middle of the night to intruders in his house. He laid in wait for them to show up... Then throws the garage door open and starts shooting, seemingly without any sort of warning. 

It's not like he is a hardcore drug dealer and needs to watch out for his rivals... They were most likely a couple meth addicts trying to steal the metal to sell for drugs. He could have easily snuck out the back door and called the cops.
    [/quote]
    But why should he? They were trying to steal!

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25072.msg1602175#msg1602175 date=1271835027]
    Pardon me sir, madam, but why are you raping me? Think you could be a friend and cut it out? I do not like it much. Not much at all.
    [/quote]

Maybe I should remember to ask politely like that next time someone busts through my door since I don't have a gun.  :-o

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=25072.msg1602177#msg1602177 date=1271835251]

[/quote]

Maybe he's originally from Detroit?  :-P

I agree with Boogie.  He didn't know their intention before shooting and killing someone.  He had a gun, and was aware of their presence.  He clearly had the upper hand and wasn't in danger.  Had he been in fear of his life, I doubt he would have thrown the garage door open and went all Dirty Harry on their asses.

i would have shot too tho.  but i would have aimed for a knee cap or something else.  my dad always said that if someone breaks into your house, you disable them, not kill them.  my husband says no, you aim for the chest. 

[quote author=White trash bitchy blonde link=topic=25072.msg1602277#msg1602277 date=1271862103]
    i would have shot too tho.  but i would have aimed for a knee cap or something else.  my dad always said that if someone breaks into your house, you disable them, not kill them.  my husband says no, you aim for the chest. 
    [/quote]

If you cripple them they'll sue you. Better to kill them, I've always found.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Taunt them into the house and shoot them there. 

I agree with DS, better to kill them than just hurt them.  That way you don't have to worry about their worthless ass suing you!

They were a couple of people with flashlights.  Chances are they didn't even see him.  I would have called the cops and gotten the plate number of their pickup while they were inside.

But, you know what?  If they weren't trying to burglarize - or burgurize (depending on the thread :lol:) the house, they wouldn't have been in any danger of being shot at.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

I'm usually all for a homeowner blowing someone away when they try to break in, but I'm not sure about this one yet. They were outside with flashlights which seems pretty suspicious, but like someone said, he threw open the garage door, so he wasn't afraid of them. He should have waited until they were inside.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25072.msg1602281#msg1602281 date=1271862275]
    If you cripple them they'll sue you. Better to kill them, I've always found.
    [/quote]i think thats why my husband says to kill the person.  if it were just me at home, i think id just high tail it outta here but if my kids are here, then game on.  i could totally kill a person in that situation.

this whole story isnt even an odd one really.  i mean we had a guy who was drunk and walked into what he thought was his house.  he went inside, plopped down on the couch and passed out.  a woman was asleep in her room, heard him and grabbed her daughter and they left.  she drove past the cop shop to pick up her drunk husband at the bar, then drove past the cop shop again to get home.  her husband walked in the house, shot the guy who was passed out on the couch and THEN called 911.  also, when the woman left, she had a phone with her. 
    See?  this is where i get all iffy.  she was safely out of the house and just needed to call 911 to get this drunk passed out dude (who was from another state, his mom had passed away like a week or two prior) off her couch and everyone would have been fine.
    i would have been scared too but if im out of the house, then why the fuck do i need to kill the guy?

Shoot them first. Then shoot into the ceiling. When the cops come, you say you shot a warning shot into the ceiling FIRST. 

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=25072.msg1602298#msg1602298 date=1271862975]
    Shoot them first. Then shoot into the ceiling. When the cops come, you say you shot a warning shot into the ceiling FIRST. 
    [/quote]but...then you gotta pay to get that shit repaired.  hell nah, ill kill the guy out on the lawn. 

[quote author=White trash bitchy blonde link=topic=25072.msg1602304#msg1602304 date=1271863123]
    but...then you gotta pay to get that shit repaired.  hell nah, ill kill the guy out on the lawn. 
    [/quote]

It does suck when they bleed in your house, but I think you'd be on safer ground legally if you shot them inside.

deliberate_misuse

Did the suspects have a record for burglary?  If so, good riddance!

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25072.msg1602305#msg1602305 date=1271863185]
    It does suck when they bleed in your house, but I think you'd be on safer ground legally if you shot them inside.
    [/quote]listen, if im gonna be the one stuck cleanin that shit up then that person is just gonna have to go ahead and die on some concrete or something that will only require me taking a hose to it. 

ahh fuck it.  ill shoot em outside and then drag them inside on a plastic tarp. 

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=25072.msg1602307#msg1602307 date=1271863271]
    Did the suspects have a record for burglary?  If so, good riddance!
    [/quote]

I can't even find a story that names anyone involved, except the neighbor lady.

[quote author=White trash bitchy blonde link=topic=25072.msg1602304#msg1602304 date=1271863123]
    but...then you gotta pay to get that shit repaired.  hell nah, ill kill the guy out on the lawn. 
    [/quote]

Paying to get that shit repaired is probably cheaper than a lawyer.  :lol:

http://www.katu.com/news/91595464.html

CHEHALIS, Wash. -- A homeowner who interrupted a possible burglary late Monday fatally shot the intruder, officials said.

The Lewis County sheriff's office says deputies were called to the home in the 2000 block of Highway 508 about 9 p.m. after reports of a shooting.

The homeowner told investigators that he heard a noise, opened the garage and fired at a person who was shining a flashlight in his eyes.

He shot a 56-year-old Morton man who died at the scene. That man's name has not been released.

A woman who was with the man who was shot is being interviewed by detectives.

Officials said the 59-year-old homeowner had reported a burglary earlier the same day at the house, which has been under construction for several years.

He told deputies that he decided to stay at the property overnight in case the crooks returned to steal more items from the home.

Investigators have not determined if the man who was shot or the woman who was with him were involved in the earlier burglary or why they were on the property.

Officials said detectives would be at the home collecting evidence through the day.

I am bothered by the fact that he fired at someone he maybe couldn't even see because the light was shining in his eyes.

And until the intentions were known, killing them is not the way to go.  He wasn't in fear for his life so self defense doesn't come into play here.  More than likely they were up to no good, but what if they just made a mistake and was lost and stopped at the wrong house or something?  Chaos would reign if we could just kill people willy nilly.

Thread Information