Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recent ads by big companies spark controversy

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: Recent ads by big companies spark controversy

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25007.msg1596448#msg1596448 date=1271308986]
    :lol:  She's never gonna get it.  :2angry:

The Tiger one is offensive.

There are commercials on now that shock me. I'm not offended so much but I always think about how when I was a kid that stuff never would have gotten anywhere near TV and now everyone sees it all day every day.

There was an Aspercreme commercial, don't think it's on anymore, that sang 'You bet your sweet ASS per cream.' That one surprised me. There was another one I saw recently, but can't think of it now.
    [/quote]
    Yea, but hearing "ass" is a fair trade from the way commercials were outright sexist. :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25007.msg1596456#msg1596456 date=1271309308]
    Yea, but hearing "ass" is a fair trade from the way commercials were outright sexist. :lol:
    [/quote]

But then little Tommy goes to school and gets slapped silly for saying 'You bet your sweet ass [size=4pt]percreme[/size]!' 

I don't remember many commercials from my childhood but I'm sure they were sexist because life was sexist then.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=25007.msg1596448#msg1596448 date=1271308986]
    :lol:  She's never gonna get it.  :2angry:

The Tiger one is offensive.

There are commercials on now that shock me. I'm not offended so much but I always think about how when I was a kid that stuff never would have gotten anywhere near TV and now everyone sees it all day every day.

There was an Aspercreme commercial, don't think it's on anymore, that sang 'You bet your sweet ASS per cream.' That one surprised me. There was another one I saw recently, but can't think of it now.
    [/quote]

I so remember that.  It didn't stay on long. :lol:

i didn't find the Tiger ad offensive but he's a complete sell out. I can't imagine sitting around a table with a bunch of [s]vultures[/s] Nike ad execs and green lighting this concept.
    I guess he felt in debt to Nike since they didn't drop him. He needs to tell his sponsors to STFU and concentrate on his golf game rather than his public image.

Tyson didn't give a fuck, he still sold out all his fights after his image was tarnished. It's like Tiger doesn't even have a personality, he just says and does what he thinks the public wants him to do which makes him look more pathetic.

[quote author=delta9 link=topic=25007.msg1596740#msg1596740 date=1271352906]
    i didn't find the Tiger ad offensive but he's a complete sell out. I can't imagine sitting around a table with a bunch of [s]vultures[/s] Nike ad execs and green lighting this concept.
    I guess he felt in debt to Nike since they didn't drop him. He needs to tell his sponsors to STFU and concentrate on his golf game rather than his public image.

Tyson didn't give a fuck, he still sold out all his fights after his image was tarnished. It's like Tiger doesn't even have a personality, he just says and does what he thinks the public wants him to do which makes him look more pathetic.
    [/quote]i agree with most of this but i still found it offensive.  well, more insensitive than anything.

[quote author=delta9 link=topic=25007.msg1596740#msg1596740 date=1271352906]
    [/quote]

This is all true, I loved Tyson because he was an animal. But he was who he was.
    I have no idea who Tiger is. The only time Tiger seemed mildly interesting is when Tim Meadows used to play him on SNL with the big horse teeth  :lol:

As far as offensive ads go, i read an article today saying that its not fair that all household cleaning product commercials show women getting all excited that theres a new mop to clean their floors with. It says its demeaning because it shows women as one-dimensional. I see some truth in that, but you have to market your product towards who is buying. Just like people are complaining about malt liquour billboards in urban areas.

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=25007.msg1597601#msg1597601 date=1271392174]
    This is all true, I loved Tyson because he was an animal. But he was who he was.
    I have no idea who Tiger is. The only time Tiger seemed mildly interesting is when Tim Meadows used to play him on SNL with the big horse teeth  :lol:

As far as offensive ads go, i read an article today saying that its not fair that all household cleaning product commercials show women getting all excited that theres a new mop to clean their floors with. It says its demeaning because it shows women as one-dimensional. I see some truth in that, but you have to market your product towards who is buying. Just like people are complaining about malt liquour billboards in urban areas.
    [/quote]

it boils down to greed. all the other top golfers are probably doing well financially without having tons of sponsors.

so now that he's sold his image to them he's their puppet. they need him more than he needs them but he's too greedy to stand up for himself.

Thread Information