Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Young Liberal in Obama Twitter Scandal to be expelled

Young Liberal in Obama Twitter Scandal to be expelled

Young Liberal in Barack Obama 'monkey' Twitter scandal to be expelled
    By Alex Dickinson From: The Courier-Mail April 16, 2010 2:45PM

* Tweets appear while Obama on 7.30 Report
    * Several references to "monkey"
    * Sowden to be expelled - LNP

A YOUNG Liberals' member who called Barack Obama a "monkey" on Twitter during the US President's interview on the ABC will be expelled, says the Queensland Liberal National Party (LNP).

The tweets, from an account belonging to Nick Sowden, a medical student at the University of Queensland, began just after 7.30pm AEST last night, during ABC TV's 7.30 Report with Kerry O'Brien.

"I'm not sure why they paid kerry to fly to america (sic), if they wanted an interview with a monkey surely a ferry to Taronga would have sufficed," one tweet said, referring to Taronga Zoo on Sydney Harbour.

"If I wanted to see a monkey on TV I'd watch Wildlife Rescue," said another.

Mr Sowden this morning said his comments were taken out of context. He said it was a joke between friends.

"I think the people follow me know (it's a joke) and the people who are my friends know and the people on Twitter don't unfortunately," he said.

"I don't think Obama is a monkey. You can't be a monkey and be President of the United States."

When asked if he'd apologise, he said: "Yes, sure, why not."

"If people have been offended by it then I'll apologise but if people are going to be offended by that, I mean, there's so many worse things said about Obama and worse things in the world and I think people need to put their lives in perspective."

Mr Sowden said he shut down his Twitter account because he didn't want any more tweets taken out of context.

"I think the lesson I've learned is that if you're going to be on Twitter then use a fake name or keep the comments to friends," he said.

"If the internet and Twitterverse is going to be policed Stasi-style by people and taken out of context... it's a bit sad that that's happening.

"I'm not racist. A lot of my friends and people I work with would pretty assuredly say I'm not a racist.''

The LNP held a meeting today to discuss Mr Sowden's actions and found that he had brought the Party into disrepute. The party said it "resolves to expel him from the Liberal National Party".

Earlier, LNP Queensland director Michael O'Dwyer said the party did not tolerate such comments.

"I'm disappointed when anybody from the LNP makes comments that put the party into disrepute and of such a personal nature," Mr O'Dwyer said.

"As far as I'm aware he is just an ordinary party member - the party has standards and principles we stand by."

The comments sparked a harsh backlash on Twitter and by bloggers.

"It's amazing that in the space of one hour and 4 tweets @nicksowden's political career has probably ended before it even began,'' said one tweet.

Several comments ask whether the student's account had been hacked.

Read the Twitter buzz on Nick Sowden

Mr Sowden appears on a list of Liberals on Twitter. In 2009 he was UQ's student council representative on the National Union of Students.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/young-liberals-caught-up-in-barack-obama-monkey-twitter-scandal/story-e6frfro0-1225854398646

:roll:

THE FUCK? Unbelievable. The blatant disgusting racism exhibited by this fat jaded douchebag is going viral, along with his totally insincere apology. For someone who was apparently set on embarking on a political career in this country, this deluded asshole just committed political self-assassination in my eyes. This was a joke? Really? The only joke around here is your political future mate. Shame on you.

This asshole makes me absolutely ashamed of some people's views in this country. It makes me so angry that this apparently intelligent, educated individual is contributing to perpetuating this myth that Australians are inherently racist. I just want to state for the record, I do not believe this fucking meatball chump represents the views of majority of Australians. I watched this interview on the ABC with President Obama and I found him incredibly engaging and inspiring as a political leader.

OK, I'm done, I just had to have a rant over this absolute shameful fuckery ..  

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: Young Liberal in Obama Twitter Scandal to be expelled

I love how angry you are. :oops:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I bet this is veggies baby daddy.

Calling Obama a monkey was "taken out of context"??  :lol:

Yeah.  This guy should hang out with Carl Palladino.  
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25026.msg1597800#msg1597800 date=1271434299]
    [/quote]

Right?  Hot.

His apology sounds as sincere as the apology I got last night from the assclown who stole my debit card after I "convinced" him to admit it.

In other words, he's sorry he got caught.

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=25026.msg1597831#msg1597831 date=1271435563]
    His apology sounds as sincere as the apology I got last night from the assclown who stole my debit card after I "convinced" him to admit it.

In other words, he's sorry he got caught.
    [/quote]

Was it your neighbor?  What he say?

[quote author=angelaiscaustic link=topic=25026.msg1597835#msg1597835 date=1271435645]
    Was it your neighbor?  What he say?
    [/quote]

He said he didn't know why he did it, but to please forgive him.  He begged me not to press charges, which I'm still considering doing.  The problem is, I kind of injured him during the course of our "talk." 

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=25026.msg1597840#msg1597840 date=1271435774]
    He said he didn't know why he did it, but to please forgive him.  He begged me not to press charges, which I'm still considering doing.  The problem is, I kind of injured him during the course of our "talk."   
    [/quote]

Press charges.  Injured him how?  Deny that shit.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25026.msg1597800#msg1597800 date=1271434299]
    [/quote]

Pissed.beyond. belief.

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=25026.msg1597820#msg1597820 date=1271435283]
    Calling Obama a monkey was "taken out of context"??  :lol:

Yeah.  This guy should hang out with Carl Palladino.  
    [/quote]

I don't understand what other context this could be taken in. And on that note, even if it was a so called "joke" - which is utter bullshit so is thus invalid - I really, do not understand the humour. I guess you wouldn't unless you are a racist fat Liberal meatball chump. Dirty dogs.

Other memorable, incredibly fucked up earlier tweets include:

- "its not the obama administration, its the obama disaster and it is an affront to freedom and the history of the WHITE house."

- "technically (refugees from the Middle East) aren't people, is there something from the UN on animal rights?"
    :2eyesbleed:  

Serious question:  I'm guessing "liberal" means something else in Oz, correct?

[quote author=angelaiscaustic link=topic=25026.msg1597843#msg1597843 date=1271435854]
    Press charges.  Injured him how?  Deny that shit.
    [/quote]

Probably shouldn't post that publicly.

[quote author=angelaiscaustic link=topic=25026.msg1597869#msg1597869 date=1271436397]
    Serious question:  I'm guessing "liberal" means something else in Oz, correct?
    [/quote]
    Very different. :lol: The Labour party is your friend over there, not the Liberal one.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25026.msg1597879#msg1597879 date=1271436564]
    Very different. :lol: The Labour party is your friend over there, not the Liberal one.
    [/quote]

The Liberal party is the centre-right party and basically represent big business and they generally advocate economic liberalism. They compete with the Labour party (centre-left) for office. They are all basically just a bunch of thieving bastard fat cats.  :lol:

This is the massive tool of a Liberal leader, Tony Abbott, who is basically a bible bashing anti-abortion overall massive douche.  

Even though it is stated that all liberals allegedly believe in the freedom of the individual, clearly some (AKA Nick Sowden, the aforementioned meatball) are of the view that only applies if you are white.

In all honesty, The Monkey comment doesn't necessarily = Racist.  It's also a common way of calling someone stupid.

But Trepid posted older Tweets, and they definitely add the Racist twist.

Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia, Australia

FUCKING HATE HATE HATE TONY ABBOTT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=25026.msg1598613#msg1598613 date=1271485446]
    In all honesty, The Monkey comment doesn't necessarily = Racist.  It's also a common way of calling someone stupid.

[/quote]

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=25026.msg1598613#msg1598613 date=1271485446]
    In all honesty, The Monkey comment doesn't necessarily = Racist.  It's also a common way of calling someone stupid.

[/quote]
    :2huh:
    [quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25026.msg1598648#msg1598648 date=1271508087]

[/quote]
    Right?

Seriously Boogie - for most of the free world a common way of calling someone stupid is calling them retarded, ignorant, moronic, and um, I dunno, STUPID!?

Think about it - George Bush, in the opinion of some, was the biggest assclown in history - did you ever hear/read anyone refer to him as a "monkey"?

And fuck that little twit Sowden.  If he had any real balls, he'd just fucking own up to it.  His pathetic excuse for an apology just makes him look like a huge pussy of a racist but still a racist nonetheless.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

[quote author=strmmrgrrl link=topic=25026.msg1598654#msg1598654 date=1271511054]
    :2huh:Right?

Seriously Boogie - for most of the free world a common way of calling someone stupid is calling them retarded, ignorant, moronic, and um, I dunno, STUPID!?

Think about it - George Bush, in the opinion of some, was the biggest assclown in history - did you ever hear/read anyone refer to him as a "monkey"?

And fuck that little twit Sowden.  If he had any real balls, he'd just fucking own up to it.  His pathetic excuse for an apology just makes him look like a huge pussy of a racist but still a racist nonetheless.
    [/quote]

Well, there was this little thing regarding George W.

[quote author=strmmrgrrl link=topic=25026.msg1598654#msg1598654 date=1271511054]
    [/quote]

:lol: Slow down.

Well I'll be damned!  I stand corrected!

But still, it just annoys the shit out of me - between this asshole and every other "conservative" asshole with their dumbass Facebook statuses.  If you don't like someone's political policies, fine.  What the fuck does it have to do with the colour of the man's skin  :|
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

[quote author=strmmrgrrl link=topic=25026.msg1598677#msg1598677 date=1271514126]
    Well I'll be damned!  I stand corrected!

But still, it just annoys the shit out of me - between this asshole and every other "conservative" asshole with their dumbass Facebook statuses.  If you don't like someone's political policies, fine.  What the fuck does it have to do with the colour of the man's skin  :|
    [/quote]
    You guys have some fucked up friends. :lol:
    Oddly, I don't see any of that horseshit.

ETA: Did you just spell color with a 'U'? :lol:

Came for the G.W. monkey pictures.  Leaving completely satiated.

Well, here is my take on this, the 1st amendment gives this guy the right to spew his racism, just as apparently it does Fred Phelps ( ).  However, while they have the RIGHT to say what they will, WE have the same right to denounce them and their racism and he will bear the brunt/punishments for his hateful views!

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=25026.msg1598680#msg1598680 date=1271514455]
    You guys have some fucked up friends. :lol:
    Oddly, I don't see any of that horseshit.

ETA: Did you just spell color with a 'U'? :lol:

[/quote]
    Thank god it's not any of my "real" friends - one or two people from high school and the rest are just gaming friends.

There is one I'm thinking of deleting - he's a conductor on the LIRR and every time he makes a comment about any of his stops in minority areas, about 10 of his friends will reply with off colour jokes or remarks about what shitholes they are  :|

Thread Information