Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne Treacy (15) allegedly beat Josie Ratley (15) until she was comatose.

Re: Wayne Treacy (15) allegedly beat Josie Ratley (15) until she was comatose.

[quote author=irishkat link=topic=24661.msg1574634#msg1574634 date=1269484384]
    So, I've been considering this.  On one hand this boy experienced a very traumatic event (the suicide of his brother) in the recent past.  So, it is understandable that he is unstable and vulnerable, I'll give him that.  This kind of vulnerability will/can make you act out.  On the other hand, the viciousness with which this boy acted out says something about his base make up and character.  Somebody hits that kind of nerve with the average person (who is disturbed/vulnerable), they may have an outburst and "say" they want to kill this person or they may have a mental meltdown and dissolve into tears, they may even punch the person in the face, but this boy put forth an enormous amount of effort to harm this girl.  He had plenty of time to reconsider and calm down as he changed his shoes, texted his friends, rode his bike for three miles, met his girlfriend and had this girl pointed out to him.  This was not perpetrated in the heat of the moment.  He needs to be put away.  With this kind of anger he is a menace to society.  You don't just get better from this kind of rage disorder. 
    [/quote]

Exactly.

Link to Larry King video

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2010/03/25/lkl.teen.girl.cnn
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Super sad.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar

[quote author=StarrySky87 link=topic=24661.msg1575075#msg1575075 date=1269533744]
    Exactly.
    [/quote]

I think we are all basically saying that he needs to be punished.  I think what he did was reprehensible and a shitload of other adjectives.  I'm just bringing up the information we have available which indicates that his attorney is going to bring in his state of mind at the time and his past history of trauma.  Florida is however a really tough state which means anything goes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_%28law%29

Some states, including Florida, have passed laws allowing one who commits an extremely heinous crime, such as murder, to be tried as an adult, regardless of age. These laws, however, have faced the challenges of the ACLU.

I really would just like to see Josie get better and Wayne not able to hurt anyone else.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Hopefully they got the comments that he made to his friends on paper somewhere because it sounds like his said it very "Matter of fact" style. He wasn't crazy or even remorseful. I hope he does a lot of time.. but then again being so young means whenever he gets out of prison he will probably be worse than when he went in..

[quote author=Crystalette247 link=topic=24661.msg1575104#msg1575104 date=1269534826]
    Hopefully they got the comments that he made to his friends on paper somewhere because it sounds like his said it very "Matter of fact" style. He wasn't crazy or even remorseful. I hope he does a lot of time.. but then again being so young means whenever he gets out of prison he will probably be worse than when he went in..
    [/quote]

not if he gets sent to a psychiatric hospital and undergoes some much needed rehabilitation. but you know... that's not really what the american penal system is all about, so you're probably right about his leaving this ordeal even MORE damaged (however possible that may be) than before.

also, i'd be willing to bet that wayne treacy actually was a bit 'crazy' and/or crazed when he went off on josie ratley; i don't know much about the status of his remorse, but no rationally-thinking human being attempts brutal murder over a set of text messages. 'crazy' doesn't always mean frantic psychosis; he may very well have snapped in a scary-calm 'matter of fact' way. those people might be the scariest, i think.

[quote author=windowface link=topic=24661.msg1576275#msg1576275 date=1269616676]
    not if he gets sent to a psychiatric hospital and undergoes some much needed rehabilitation. but you know... that's not really what the american penal system is all about, so you're probably right about his leaving this ordeal even MORE damaged (however possible that may be) than before.

also, i'd be willing to bet that wayne treacy actually was a bit 'crazy' and/or crazed when he went off on josie ratley; i don't know much about the status of his remorse, but no rationally-thinking human being attempts brutal murder over a set of text messages. 'crazy' doesn't always mean frantic psychosis; he may very well have snapped in a scary-calm 'matter of fact' way. those people might be the scariest, i think.
    [/quote]
    For real.. If he was crazy before or not.. Prison is such a horrible place for young people to be sent. They have to become a certain way otherwise they will be beaten, raped, or killed. Anyone in that situation will either be killed or adapt to the viscous way of life they are being told to change to. It is sad.

[quote author=Crystalette247 link=topic=24661.msg1576282#msg1576282 date=1269617362]
    For real.. If he was crazy before or not.. Prison is such a horrible place for young people to be sent. They have to become a certain way otherwise they will be beaten, raped, or killed. Anyone in that situation will either be killed or adapt to the viscous way of life they are being told to change to. It is sad.
    [/quote]

People who are that violent usually have some sort of personality disorder and that is bad news, because those are basically unfixable.  Prison tends to be the best place for violent offenders with personality disorders. 

And the gag order is in place...

http://cbs4.com/local/Kayla.Manson.Josie.2.1591560.html

Mar 26, 2010 8:51 am US/Eastern
    Judge Issues Gag Order In Deerfield Teen Beating

DANIA BEACH (CBS4) ―  15-year-old Josie Lou Ratley was severely beaten, allegedly by 15-year-old Wayne Treacy.
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Lawyers and investigators working the case of 15-year-old Josie Ratley's brutal beating outside Deerfield Beach middle school have been ordered to stop talking publicly about the case.

Broward Circuit Judge Elijah Williams issued a temporary gag order Thursday, barring talks about the facts of the case against the 15-year-old suspect Wayne Treacy until April 6. The judge will then hear a request for a permanent order from the suspect's lawyer.

BSO investigators say Treacy attacked Ratley on March 17th. He's accused of repeatedly punching and stomping on Ratley with steel-toed boots. He's being held in a juvenile detention center on a charge of premeditated attempted murder. Ratley remains in a medically-induced coma at Broward General Medical Center.

A 13-year-old girl, Kayla Manson, has also been charged as an accomplice and remains in a juvenile detention center as well.

Manson was arrested because prosecutors say she knew Treacy intended to hurt Ratley and did nothing to stop him. She even pointed her out to him when he arrived at the school, said BSO.

Her attorney, Jonathon Marne, told the NBC "Today Show" on Thursday that his young client had no idea that Treacy was going to attack Ratley.

"We believe she absolutely had no idea this was going to happen," said Marne. "Kayla was not instrumental in what happened in that we believe information will come to light that Mr. Treacy actually knew who Josie was through pictures and communications."

BSO investigators say Treacy attacked Ratley without warning. Authorities say the attack was triggered by a text message dispute. BSO investigators say he got enraged over a text message concerning the recent suicide of his older brother.

"The whole situation is just unbelievable for both girls,'' said Manson's grandmother and guardian, Lori Wiggins.

Her aunt, whom Manson lives with, described her niece as "a very helpful girl" who has not been in trouble with the law before. "She's a mothering girl," said Tristine Stott. "She helps take care of my handicapped child."

Stott went on to say that Kayla has expressed concern for her friend.

"She's like, 'I'm praying for her,' and we're praying for her also, and we want her to get better as quickly as she can," Stott said. The 13-year-old "expressed her concern for her immediately," her aunt said.

We are each our own devil and we make this world our own hell...Oscar Wilde

This one really gets to me....

The hate, rage & brutality of this beating is horrendous.

I would still like to know how "bad" the message was that sent him off the deep end.  I do not consider a 15 yo a child in the sense that they cannot control themselves or know the consequences of their actions.  Wayne knew what death was and he tried to bring it to another human being in a very brutal fashion.  I agree with Crystalette and Kat, this kid had problems before hand, and the methodical way he dealt with this before, hunting her down, etc., and after, is scary, very scary actually, his calmness about it is kinda freaky.  From the pics I saw of him, he is showing no remorse and just seems angry to be where he is.  Now I know I am jumping to conclusions from pics and he COULD be sorry, I doubt it though.  And I believe he will be a danger to society regardless of where he goes or the help he gets.  Something is broken in this kid for him to have been able to do what he did.

[quote author=sarabei link=topic=24661.msg1577465#msg1577465 date=1269701972]
    I would still like to know how "bad" the message was that sent him off the deep end.  I do not consider a 15 yo a child in the sense that they cannot control themselves or know the consequences of their actions.  Wayne knew what death was and he tried to bring it to another human being in a very brutal fashion.  I agree with Crystalette and Kat, this kid had problems before hand, and the methodical way he dealt with this before, hunting her down, etc., and after, is scary, very scary actually, his calmness about it is kinda freaky.  From the pics I saw of him, he is showing no remorse and just seems angry to be where he is.  Now I know I am jumping to conclusions from pics and he COULD be sorry, I doubt it though.  And I believe he will be a danger to society regardless of where he goes or the help he gets.  Something is broken in this kid for him to have been able to do what he did.
    [/quote]

I agree. The premeditation he showed is scary. From what I heard it was a text message about his brother committing suicide. Okay.
    Whatever. NOTHING that girl could have said would warrant a savage beating like that.

I really would like to ask him "How the fuck do you feel now????" "Do you have any fucking remorse?????"

I admit, maybe I just grew up in the hood, but this sort of fight went down A LOT when I was in junior high. Usually two girls. One chick would disrespect the other, the other would spend the whole day telling people she was going to fucking kill her, and then there would be a ruthless beatdown during lunch. Once a girl had to be medicoptered off campus. Junior high (13-15) is the worst age ever. People don't understand the idea of consequences at all. There was a girl in my class who had scars on her neck from being strangled by some gangster chicks who wanted to learn her good.

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=24661.msg1573647#msg1573647 date=1269453139]
    Without knowing what it was that Josie said to him, it's easy to call him a monster for what he did.  I just feel for him in a way.  The article said he found his brother hanging from a tree.  I'm pretty sure that would screw someone up mentally.  His parents should have gotten him help before he harmed someone.
    [/quote]

Indeed.Still,no excuse.You don't go around trying to kill people who insult you or your family.And if you do,you pay for it.

His personal anguish is no excuse to leave a fifteen-year-old girl with potential brain damage,close to death,and devastate her family,real friends,and everyone who loved her.

NOthing she "said to him" negates his actions.He and he alone is responcible for what he chooses to do. He is a monster.Period.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

[quote author=irishkat link=topic=24661.msg1574790#msg1574790 date=1269489415]
    Which is what makes him so dangerous.&nbsp; Do you think he will be able to learn the difference?&nbsp; It takes a special kind of human who could ever stomp a girl to near death.
    [/quote]

A-fucking-men.
    It's not indicative of age either.I knew plenty of fifteen-year-olds,one who watched his father shoot himself in the face and held his dying,bleeding body til the paramedics got there, who would&nbsp; have thrown a punch maybe if pissed off to an extent.
    But no normal fifteen-year-old does this.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=24661.msg1575053#msg1575053 date=1269533131]
    A.) He didn't kill her.&nbsp; She's still alive and hopefully will stay that way.
    B.) He is a child.&nbsp; 15 is still a child and I agree he needed help.

I don't believe he had anything wrong with him before that but I don't know for certain. I do know that traumatic experiences can make even mild tempered people snap and do things that they wouldn't ordinarily do.&nbsp; I don't wish death on him if this was case, I think he does deserve punishment.&nbsp; Now whether the court decides that Jail or a mental facility is the appropriate place, it's up to them.
    [/quote]

IMO,
    fifteen is a little more than a child.Not an adult,to be sure, but not a five-year-old or an eleven-year-old.Being legally a child isn't the same thing as being a teenager.Teens generally know right from wrong and that actions have consequences,sometimes life-altering ones.

Updated article has a picture of Kayla and Josie together before the incident.&nbsp; They were &quot;friends.&quot;&nbsp; Josie is still in the coma.&nbsp;

http://www.examiner.com/x-19494-Broward-County-Parenting-Teens-Examiner~y2010m3d25-Josie-Ratley-and-Kayla-Manson-were-friends-Text-rage-incident-nearly-kills-teen-friend-or-foe
    born to be down

Attempt to bring Deerfield Beach beating victim out of coma fails
    ‘This is going to be a marathon,’ lawyer says

By Rafael A. Olmeda, Sun Sentinel

7:59 AM EDT, March 30, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE

Doctors tried to bring Josie Lou Ratley out of her medically induced coma but reversed course when she developed a high fever, her family's lawyer said this weekend. Ratley, 15, remains comatose and in critical condition at Broward General Medical Center, where officials say her condition has neither improved nor worsened.

Ratley was brought to the hospital on March 17 after she was severely beaten and stomped on at a Deerfield Beach Middle School bus stop. Deputies arrested Pompano Beach resident Wayne Treacy, 15, and accused him of attacking Ratley in retaliation for an insensitive text message sent from her phone.

&quot;Her family is beside themselves and praying for the strength to get them through,&quot; said Ratley attorney Rick Freedman. &quot;They are now coming to the realization that this is going to be a marathon event.&quot;

Freedman's statement, sent via e-mail, did not mention Treacy or the criminal case.

In other news, CJ's Draft House in Deerfield Beach announced it would hold a fundraiser for the comatose girl on April 11, accepting donations and dedicating a portion of its revenues to a fund for Ratley.

Copyright © 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/deerfield/fl-ratley-condition-update-20100329,0,3582665.story

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24661.msg1577628#msg1577628 date=1269714397]
    I admit, maybe I just grew up in the hood, but this sort of fight went down A LOT when I was in junior high. Usually two girls. One chick would disrespect the other, the other would spend the whole day telling people she was going to fucking kill her, and then there would be a ruthless beatdown during lunch. Once a girl had to be medicoptered off campus. Junior high (13-15) is the worst age ever. People don't understand the idea of consequences at all. There was a girl in my class who had scars on her neck from being strangled by some gangster chicks who wanted to learn her good.
    [/quote]

the middle school i went to was a mix of middle/upper middle class and hood. they bussed us over from the &quot;nice&quot; side of town because there was no other option at the time. it was overcrowded and nuts. there were fights all the time. not quite bad enough as to warrant a medivac but i recall walking down the hall next to this girl when she suddenly stopped, pulled a flail out of her backpack and started screaming at someone else across the hall. it was too crowded for her to do anything with the weapon but a girl fight ensued. i never saw that girl again but damn, that was intense. a flail! what is this, medieval times? man, i wouldn't wish adolescence/junior high on my worst enemy.

okay, and so maybe it's messed up to say but i can't help wondering if josie will actually recover from her injuries...&nbsp; :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

While I hope she does, it, to me, looks pretty grim right now....

[quote author=sarabei link=topic=24661.msg1580068#msg1580068 date=1269962905]
    While I hope she does, it, to me, looks pretty grim right now....
    [/quote]

Maybe an infection from the brain surgeries?&nbsp; Not good, not good at all....

[quote author=irishkat link=topic=24661.msg1580080#msg1580080 date=1269963663]
    Maybe an infection from the brain surgeries?&nbsp; Not good, not good at all....
    [/quote]

I would imagine they are watching her blood count for elevated white cells, right? Or, they should be - for that reason.

I'm thinking it's probably something closer to shock. Shock can cause a drastic temperature change.

Who knows, though. This poor girl has been through a lot in the last two weeks... it could be anything.
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

:x

Lawyer: beaten girl in coma with brain damage

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL -- There are new health concerns for the 15-year-old south Florida girl nearly beaten to death.

Two weeks ago, Police say a teenage boy repeatedly punched and kicked Josie Lou Ratley with steel-toe boots because he didn't like the way she responded to a text message.

Ratley's attorney says she suffered brain damage, can't breathe on her own, and is fighting pneumonia. He also says the girl will likely lose some use of the right side of her body.

Doctors have tried to wean Ratley off coma-inducing drugs, but had to administer them again when she developed a high fever.

The 15-year-old male suspect remains at a juvenile detention center on a charge of premeditated attempted murder.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/st...25sizdJoQ.cspx

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24661.msg1582485#msg1582485 date=1270142282]

Ratley's attorney says she suffered brain damage, can't breathe on her own, and is fighting pneumonia. He also says the girl will likely lose some use of the right side of her body.

Doctors have tried to wean Ratley off coma-inducing drugs, but had to administer them again when she developed a high fever.

[/quote]

Gah... it's not looking good for her at all. :(

Have they determined if she has any brain activity at all? I mean, surely she's not brain dead, right?
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24661.msg1582487#msg1582487 date=1270142403]
    Gah... it's not looking good for her at all. :(

Have they determined if she has any brain activity at all? I mean, surely she's not brain dead, right?
    [/quote]

That poor girl. I was hoping to see a more encouraging update. :-(

Thread Information