Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne Treacy (15) allegedly beat Josie Ratley (15) until she was comatose.

Re: Wayne Treacy (15) allegedly beat Josie Ratley (15) until she was comatose.

[quote author=sarabei link=topic=24661.msg1571098#msg1571098 date=1269264415]
    Seriously,  What kind of monster just thinks it is alright to attack someone, especially a girl (if you are male) to the point they almost die?  WTF is wrong with young people today?  They think violence and hate is the answer to all of life's woes?  You know what?  I hate he found his brother that way, I am sorry his brother committed suicide but FUCK HIM, other people have just as traumatic events happen to them and don't go off half cocked and try to kill someone.  That is NOOOO excuse.
    [/quote]
    Exactly!                                                                                                                                                           
    "She's Alive!"

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24661.msg1571846#msg1571846 date=1269311262]
    I wear steel toe boots, but I work in construction. I can't see why a kid would need them.
    [/quote]
    I had steal toe boots in high school. My mom got them for me after seeing the bruises on my feet after a punk show. She made me promise not to kick anyone.

Teenagers are such fucked up messes. Sounds like she agitated an unstable person in a particularly vulnerable state of mine. I dunno, if someone was making fun of me after my brother killed himself, I might punch them. But to go as far as he did is nuts. Both of their lives are ruined now.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24661.msg1572062#msg1572062 date=1269327327]
    I had steal toe boots in high school. My mom got them for me after seeing the bruises on my feet after a punk show. She made me promise not to kick anyone.

Teenagers are such fucked up messes. Sounds like she agitated an unstable person in a particularly vulnerable state of mine. I dunno, if someone was making fun of me after my brother killed himself, I might punch them. But to go as far as he did is nuts. Both of their lives are ruined now.
    [/quote]

I bet they looked cute on you, too!

I wonder if the parents sought any kind of mental health help for him after his brothers death. I am going to guess no.
    That was a pretty heartless thing to taunt him about, but obviously didn't warrant that.

Has anyone found any info on the brother?

Treacy's father is a douchebag. Since 1981, he's racked up 43 arrests in Florida, leaving him in and out of prison. So his older brother, Michael Bell, became his surrogate father.

​But in October, depressed over divorce and losing his job, Bell committed suicide by hanging himself in a church parking lot in Pompano Beach. The loss no doubt left Treacy adrift. And it was that open sore that apparently set him off last week.

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/...ally_beats.php

From an article:

This is the second time in recent months that tragedy has struck Deerfield Beach Middle School. Michael Brewer, 15, was set on fire by classmates last October.
    http://www.parentdish.com/2010/03/22/teen-in-critical-condition-after-alleged-text-message-dispute/41

:-o  Where in the hell are the teachers/administrators at this school when this kind of violence is happening???

NOTE:  I am NOT knocking teachers in general - both of my sisters are teachers.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=24661.msg1572102#msg1572102 date=1269330433]
    From an article:

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/03/22/teen-in-critical-condition-after-alleged-text-message-dispute/41

:-o   Where in the hell are the teachers/administrators at this school when this kind of violence is happening???

[/quote]

He has an article here, too.  :-(

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=24661.msg1572102#msg1572102 date=1269330433]
    From an article:

:-o   Where in the hell are the teachers/administrators at this school when this kind of violence is happening???

[/quote]

The kid set on fire was at an apartment complex. Josie was at a bus stop. Not sure if it was a school bus stop or city bus stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24661.msg1572107#msg1572107 date=1269330681]
    The kid set on fire was at an apartment complex. Josie was at a bus stop. Not sure if it was a school bus stop or city bus stop.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I don't know, either. From the news clips it looked like it was at school, though.

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24661.msg1572109#msg1572109 date=1269330863]
    Yeah, I don't know, either. From the news clips it looked like it was at school, though.
    [/quote]

Okay, the original article says it was in the school bus loop. I wonder how far away the teacher was. The whole beating probably didn't really take long.

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24661.msg1572004#msg1572004 date=1269320587]
    Of course, it's private.

[/quote]

Tink_luvs
    Kayla Manson 
      Female
    14 years old
    POMPANO BEACH, Florida
    United States

Last Login: 3/20/2010

Mood: 08/09/08.wayne 

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24661.msg1572062#msg1572062 date=1269327327]

[/quote]

I used to wear these:

Although it seems like teenagers are getting more and more violent these days and it's nothing unusual to hear things like these in news, I just can't get it.
    A few weeks ago, here in Germany two 13-year-olds (thirrrrrteeeeen ...) broke into the apartment of an elderly woman, knocked her around and tortured her for many hours after they finally left her alone and she could call the police. The things they did to her include pulling red pepper over her eyes, spraying shaving foam into her mouth, battering her teeth with a bottle of vodka, pissing into the bottle of vodka and forcing her to drink it etc. ...

No one will prosecute these kids. They are not yet of the age of criminal responsibility in Germany (starts at the age of 14). Enough said ...

Side note: it's a testimony to how tired I am that I used the wrong form of steel. :2eyesbleed:

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24661.msg1572004#msg1572004 date=1269320587]
    Of course, it's private.

[/quote]

Now this little girl looks just as cute as a button (except for the lovely hand gestures).  Clearly her parents aren't keeping up with her MySpace if they allow her to have a picture like this.  Or maybe they are and they just don't care?  I'm a pretty liberal parent and I believe in letting children have some freedom to make some mistakes and learn from the consequences, but I would certainly not let my child have a picture like this on her MySpace. When my kid does get on a social networking site, you can be damn sure I will be monitoring it closely.  Technology and kids = a dangerous mix!  :2eyesbleed:

[quote author=irishkat link=topic=24661.msg1572275#msg1572275 date=1269361156]
    Now this little girl looks just as cute as a button (except for the lovely hand gestures).  Clearly her parents aren't keeping up with her MySpace if they allow her to have a picture like this.  Or maybe they are and they just don't care?  I'm a pretty liberal parent and I believe in letting children have some freedom to make some mistakes and learn from the consequences, but I would certainly not let my child have a picture like this on her MySpace. When my kid does get on a social networking site, you can be damn sure I will be monitoring it closely.  Technology and kids = a dangerous mix!  :2eyesbleed:
    [/quote]

I totally agree with this. We can't just keep them sheltered, but we don't have to let them do what the other kids parents let them get away with. There is a nice balance in the middle.

On a side note, my daughter is HUGE into making animations. She has a youtube pages with tons of her work...well, she did. Her account got permanently suspended. 

She used Lady GaGa's music for one of her animations. I told her, "You play, you pay. Ignorance of the law is no excuse." She still has the sads.

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24661.msg1572360#msg1572360 date=1269364547]
    I totally agree with this. We can't just keep them sheltered, but we don't have to let them do what the other kids parents let them get away with. There is a nice balance in the middle.

On a side note, my daughter is HUGE into making animations. She has a youtube pages with tons of her work...well, she did. Her account got permanently suspended. 

She used Lady GaGa's music for one of her animations. I told her, "You play, you pay. Ignorance of the law is no excuse." She still has the sads.
    [/quote]

And that's exactly the point.  As a good parent, you are willing to let her make mistakes (that won't kill her) and let her suffer the consequences without a whole lot of sympathy for her.  That's how you learn to be a responsible/reasonable adult.  Good job mom 

She's a cute-as-a-button little girl who was harassing an emotionally damaged boy who lost his brother recently to suicide. Teenagers are all such jerks. It's terrible what happened to her but obviously she's not the most wonderful human to walk the earth either.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24661.msg1573088#msg1573088 date=1269397839]
    She's a cute-as-a-button little girl who was harassing an emotionally damaged boy who lost his brother recently to suicide. Teenagers are all such jerks. It's terrible what happened to her but obviously she's not the most wonderful human to walk the earth either.
    [/quote]

The cute as a button girl pictured is the one who helped the boy find the girl he beat up, wasn't it?

Otherwise, I agree with you. Didn't deserve what she got, but she might have been asking for it.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24661.msg1573093#msg1573093 date=1269398024]
    The cute as a button girl pictured is the one who helped the boy find the girl he beat up, wasn't it?

Otherwise, I agree with you. Didn't deserve what she got, but she might have been asking for it.
    [/quote]
    My bad, all white kids look the same. :lol:

I have NEVER seen kids get as violent as they did in my junior high. A sense of immortality and youth=total lack of understanding.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24661.msg1573093#msg1573093 date=1269398024]

[/quote]

You are right DS.

If you didn't know what you did about her and she wasn't shooting the bird, you would have to admit, she's awful sweet looking.  Looks are deceiving!

Photo and updated story - warning - graphic photo of Josie in the hospital, one day after the beating

http://www.examiner.com/x-19494-Broward-County-Parenting-Teens-Examiner~y2010m3d23-Text-rage-Explosive-teen-behavior
    born to be down

[quote author=Solara23 link=topic=24661.msg1573124#msg1573124 date=1269400213]
    Photo and updated story - warning - graphic photo of Josie in the hospital, one day after the beating

http://www.examiner.com/x-19494-Broward-County-Parenting-Teens-Examiner~y2010m3d23-Text-rage-Explosive-teen-behavior
    [/quote]

Dang, poor girl. She looks horrible. :(

So, did I read correctly in an earlier article when they said she was in a drug induced coma? Does anyone know anything about how long, if at all, she might come out of it?
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24661.msg1573129#msg1573129 date=1269401003]
    Dang, poor girl. She looks horrible. :(

So, did I read correctly in an earlier article when they said she was in a drug induced coma? Does anyone know anything about how long, if at all, she might come out of it?
    [/quote]

She is in a medically induced coma. They will keep her that way until the swelling goes down in her brain, I believe.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/doctors-feeling-good-about-beaten-deerfield-beach-girl-419990.html

Medical personnel treating Josie Lou Ratley -- the 15-year-old Deerfield Beach girl beaten by a teen boy last week -- on Sunday removed her bandages, exposing rows of stitches from two surgeries to relieve pressure on the girl's brain.

She remained in critical condition and in a medically induced coma at Broward General Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale, according to Rick Freedman, her family's attorney.

Doctors are ``really feeling good about the strength of the rest of her body,' Freedman said. ``Now it's a matter of waiting.' Josie's family remains by her bedside.

She has undergone two craniotomies -- the first Wednesday night on the left side of her brain and the second Friday on the right side.

Her mother, Hilda Gotay Ratley, and aunt Linda Sarmiento are scheduled to appear on NBC's Today Show and CBS's The Early Show Monday morning, Freedman said.

Two teens, Wayne Treacy, 15, and Kayla Manson, 13, are being held in a juvenile detention center in connection with the attack last Wednesday at Deerfield Beach Middle School. The attack was prompted by an exchange of text messages.

The Broward Sheriff's Office said Treacy put on steel-toed boots, biked to the school and attacked Ratley in a bus area, kicking her in the head as many as seven times.

The boy, a ninth-grader at Deerfield Beach High School, had been messaging Ratley to try and reach his ex-girlfriend, Manson.

Ratley didn't approve of the relationship and had exchanged messages with Treacy, including a comment she made about Treacy's brother who had committed suicide in October. Treacy is charged with attempted murder. Manson is charged as a principal because she helped Treacy find Ratley, authorities say.

pretty hate machine butterflykim's Avatar

Additional articles: (Some might be repeat info.)

Violence prompts questions on Broward school safety

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/violence-prompts-questions-on-broward-school-safety-433631.html

Three vicious attacks in only five months have thrust Broward County schools into a glaring spotlight this week and have raised questions about student safety.

The most recent case: A 14-year-old West Park boy accused of breaking his 12-year-old ex-girlfriend's nose Tuesday as the two got off the bus at McNicol Middle School in Hollywood. It happened only days after the brutal beating at Deerfield Beach Middle School of 15-year-old Josie Lou Ratley by Wayne Treacy, 15, shortly after dismissal last week.

That's the same school attended by Michael Brewer, who last fall was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire by his classmates.

&quot;It's absolutely frightening,&quot; said Bill Hanifin Jr., whose daughter is an eighth grader at Deerfield Beach Middle. He said the district and school need to reevaluate how they're keeping students safe at the beginning and end of the school day, and he wants to see some sort of plan presented &quot;that would reassure parents that their kids will be protected.&quot;

Despite the brutality of the recent crimes, it is unclear whether Broward campuses are less safe. According to the most recent figures available from the state Department of Education, violence in the district dropped from 1,245 cases in the 2006-07 school year to 1,162 cases in the 2007-08 school year. Those figures include cases of homicide, sexual battery, robbery and battery.

However, enrollment dropped by roughly 3,700 students in the same time period.

Those statistics also don't include Broward's most recent acts of school violence, such as the April 2009 shooting of Gregory Smith, 16, killed by a former classmate after he left a talent show at Boyd Anderson High School in Lauderdale Lakes; or the November 2008 incident where Dillard High School student Amanda Collette was shot and killed in a packed hallway at the Fort Lauderdale school.

Experts offer varied explanations for teenagers' unhinged aggression, from the images they see on television and in the media to a breakdown in community networks and support.

&quot;I think if you look at just that trend over time, we certainly are not providing the type of support or care&quot; that once was provided to students by close-knit communities, said Dr. Niranjan Karnik, an assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Chicago, who specializes in adolescents.

What helps combat school violence, he said: Collaboration among school districts, law enforcement and other community agencies.

Broward school officials say they already have programs in place to alert them to potential trouble, such as the anti-bullying program approved in March 2008 and the &quot;Silence Hurts&quot; initiative that allows students, teachers and others to call or e-mail anonymous tips to the district's special investigative unit.

After Collette was killed at Dillard, &quot;Silence Hurts&quot; was expanded to allow people to send tips by text message.

The recent attacks show the district needs to ramp up those efforts and remind schools about the programs, said Broward schools Superintendent James Notter. &quot;We have these things in place,&quot; he said.&quot;When you see a random, violent act, you always question, ‘How can we do it better?'&quot;

School Board member Bob Parks spoke to Deerfield Beach city commissioners Tuesday night about the recent violence. He said he's not sure there's anything the district could have done to prevent either attack.

Parks said school resource officers can help prevent violence. But budget cuts are forcing cities and the Broward Sheriff's Office to reduce the number of officers and deputies in Broward schools.

Still, the Sheriff's Office has a resource officer stationed at Deerfield Beach Middle and in the Ratley case, &quot;Everybody did what they had to do, so how do you stop it?&quot; Parks said. &quot;We had the programs in place.&quot;

Natalie Bigio, president of Deerfield Beach Middle's Parent Teacher Student Association, agrees.

&quot;I do not see a pattern of violence on our campus,&quot; she said. &quot;I don't think we can fault schools. They haven't become more lax about security. … All of the security in the world would never have anticipated Josie's attack last week.&quot;
    Police: Friends knew of teen's plans to beat up Deerfield Beach girl, but no one warned her

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/police-friends-knew-of-teens-plans-to-beat-435896.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

Before viciously beating and kicking Josie Lou Ratley, the 15-year-old accused in the attack told friends his intentions.

&quot;I'm coming over there and I'm gonna snap your neck,' Wayne Treacy wrote the victim, said Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti.

But as far as investigators can tell, no one sent in a warning about the Deerfield Beach Middle School student's being in danger, the Broward Sheriff's Office told reporters Tuesday.

&quot;A handful of people knew about it,' BSO Sgt. Steve Feeley said, &quot;and nobody did anything about it.'

Under its &quot;Silence Hurts' campaign, the Broward school district allows students to submit anonymous tips -- by phone, text message or online -- about bullying, threats or anything else that makes them feel unsafe.

The phone line has received about 115 tips since August, said district spokesman Eddie Arnold.

School officials discussed procedures they have in place to protect students after a hastily called news conference to discuss safety in schools following another act of youth violence in Broward County on Tuesday.

Earlier in the day, while their school bus pulled into McNicol Middle School in Hollywood, boy, 14, punched his ex-girlfriend, 12, in the face several times and fractured her nose, according to Hollywood police.

The boy was arrested and charged with aggravated battery and obstruction without violence, police said. He has a prior history of violence on campus, according to the arrest report.

The Herald is withholding his name because of his age and the nature of the charge.

Tuesday's beating was the most recent in a string of savage attacks involving students in the school district.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In November 2008, Dillard High sophomore Teah Wimberly shot and killed classmate Amanda Collette. Wimberly, who was convicted of murder, has not yet been sentenced. After the shooting, Wimberly's friends came forward and said she texted them about committing suicide and shooting her friend.
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In October 2009, 15-year-old Michael Brewer was doused in rubbing alcohol and set on fire by a group of schoolmates, according to BSO. All the boys involved went to Deerfield Beach Middle, however the attack happened after classes ended and off campus.
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; And earlier this month, ninth-grader Treacy bicycled over to the same school, where he slammed Ratley's head onto the ground and kicked her in the head with his steel-toed boots up to seven times, according to BSO.
    Treacy and Ratley had been texting back and forth when Ratley made a disparaging comment about Treacy's older brother, who committed suicide in October.

Lamberti said Treacy continued texting after the attack, at one point sending a message saying he was going to prison because he might have killed somebody.

IN COMA

Ratley remained in a medically induced coma at Broward General Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday. So far, swelling had gone down on one side of her brain but not the other, said her family's lawyer, Rick Freedman.

Investigators don't have all of the messages sent that day, including the specific comment made about Treacy's brother, said BSO spokesman Jim Leljedal. Some of the messages had been deleted, but investigators expect to get them back from the phone companies, Leljedal said.

On Tuesday, school district officials outlined the steps taken to improve student safety both across the district and specifically at Deerfield Middle.

In the past year at Deerfield Beach Middle School, the bell hours have been changed so not all students are changing classes at the same time, said Leah Kelly, the district's associate superintendent for student support services.

During dismissal the day Ratley was attacked, there were eight adults on duty, including an assistant principal, a school resource deputy and two campus monitors, according to Arnold, the schools spokesman.

He and other district officials emphasized that schools do their best to keep students safe by having only one point of entry and scanning the driver's licenses of visitors. But they acknowledged that violent incidents take place.

&quot;We cannot control everything that happens,' Arnold said -- particularly during school dismissal, when kids are boarding cars and buses and hopping on bikes or walking home.

TALKING TO KIDS

He and the others stressed the importance of parents and other community organizations talking to children about how to deal with their problems and reach out to adults they trust when they're in trouble.

&quot;The community has to have the same sense of urgency the school district has,' Kelly said.

Among the suggestions: banning cell phones from school.

This is not a realistic option, Kelly said, because state law allows students to have them.

Broward's code of conduct says phones must be turned off and kept out of sight during class time. And they cannot be used for calling or texting during school hours.

Kelly has been organizing a group -- that will include parents, students and district personnel -- to take a look at technology in school, including what students should and should not be able to do during lunch and other breaks.

&quot;We've got to catch up,' she said. &quot;We need to have a vision about how we're going to approach these things.'
    More pics here:

http://postpix.palmbeachpost.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=965148&amp;CategoryID=50973&amp;L istSubAlbums=0

911 call here:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/911-call-man-arrested-for-911-abuse-424612.html

&nbsp;
    One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

[quote author=butterflykim link=topic=24661.msg1573584#msg1573584 date=1269450311]

More pics here:

http://postpix.palmbeachpost.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=965148&amp;CategoryID=50973&amp;L istSubAlbums=0
    &nbsp;
    [/quote]

Gah... Treacy looks SCARY in those pictures. :[ Much older/bigger than a 15 year old... and the look on his face... whoa.
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

Thread Information