Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shantina Smiley and her 8-year-old son vanished March 13, 2010

Re: Shantila Smiley and her 8-year-old son vanished March 13, 2010

she basically killed him by getting totally shitfaced drunk and driving into the water.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=24602.msg1567889#msg1567889 date=1268978995]
    What? She didn't kill the kid. The kid drowned. She probably did too.
    [/quote]

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=24602.msg1567760#msg1567760 date=1268959925]
    Identity confirmed, it's him: http://www.kgw.com/news/Disappearance-of-Wash-family-vexes-police-87828912.html
    [/quote]

I agree with beefy.  The article boogie posted has a video in it.  It shows the mother in a store buying alcohol and asking for directions.  The bottles of alcohol were found washed up near where the boy was found along with one of the mother's shoes.

ETA:  Her name is wrong on this thread too.  Her name is Shantina not Shantila

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

oh jeez.  :|  poor kid.  and shame on his mother if she was indeed drunk.  ugh.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24602.msg1567686#msg1567686 date=1268954788]
    Azrael is the traditional name of the angel of death in many religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azriel

:|

I just noticed it's spelled Azreal but is on a wiki page entitled Azriel. I googled it because I thought there was a smurf with that name. There is but it is also Azreal.
    [/quote]

azrael is gargamels mean kitty.  :oops:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=24602.msg1567760#msg1567760 date=1268959925]
    Identity confirmed, it's him: http://www.kgw.com/news/Disappearance-of-Wash-family-vexes-police-87828912.html
    [/quote]

Did I hear right in that video?
    They were banging on the side of someones house close to where the van went into the water?  Three hours *after* they went missing and possibly after the van hit water?

If it was after .... I wonder why they went back in the water?
    I'm guessing she didn't have a cell phone either?

Ug...that poor kid must have been so scared out in the dark woods, cold water 

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=24602.msg1567980#msg1567980 date=1268991916]

azrael is gargamels mean kitty.  :oops:
    [/quote] :lol: Sorry. I need to brush up on smurf history. 
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

deliberate_misuse

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=24602.msg1567889#msg1567889 date=1268978995]
    What? She didn't kill the kid. The kid drowned. She probably did too.
    [/quote]

[quote author=flipdizzy link=topic=24602.msg1567975#msg1567975 date=1268989060]
    she basically killed him by getting totally shitfaced drunk and driving into the water.
    [/quote]

Yes.

[quote author=flipdizzy link=topic=24602.msg1567975#msg1567975 date=1268989060]
    [/quote]

Yes, but I didn't see the video where she was buying alcohol.

ETA: meaning you are totally right and I would have said the same thing if I saw the video.

I am thinking she was already drunk when she went into the store to buy alcohol, correct?

Because wasn't that when she "fell" in the parking lot, and the store clerk said she was acting funny?
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

We won't know until her body washes up, although it sounds like the bottles weren't open, so she was heading home to drink.

I'll wait til they find her body cos I have a cousin who has MS and falls a lot and people constantly think she's drunk. Once this woman took her keys forcefully from her and called the cops. :-(

She doesn't drink.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24602.msg1568998#msg1568998 date=1269063316]
    We won't know until her body washes up, although it sounds like the bottles weren't open, so she was heading home to drink.

I'll wait til they find her body cos I have a cousin who has MS and falls a lot and people constantly think she's drunk. Once this woman took her keys forcefully from her and called the cops. :-(

She doesn't drink.
    [/quote]

On HLN today they said the bottle they found was half full. I haven't seen anything with a link about it, though.
    I'll go see if I can find anything.

Bottle Of Wine Emerges As New Clue In Case Of Missing Mother, Boy

LACEY, Wash. -- Surveillance video taken the night 29-year-old Shantina &quot;Kat&quot; Smiley disappeared shows her buying a jug of wine that looks like one found half-empty on the beach near her partially submerged van.

The grocery store surveillance video -- taken at a West Olympia mini-mart and obtained by KIRO 7 Eyewitness News on Wednesday -- shows Smiley pulling the 1.5-liter bottle of wine from the store shelf, buying it and other items, and leaving with her 8-year-old son, Azriel Carver.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22871727/detail.html

Missing boy's death ruled an accidental drowning

The Pierce County Medical Examiner's Office said Friday that 8-year-old Azriel Carver drowned and that his death was an accident.

The boy's body was found Thursday on a beach at the south end of Fox Island.

Another day of searching on Friday yielded no news in the hunt for the boy's missing mother, Shantina Smiley, 29, of Silverdale, Kitsap County.

&quot;No, we haven't heard of anything being found,&quot; Thurston County sheriff's Lt. Chris Mealy said Friday night.

Thurston County had a boat in the water Friday looking for Smiley.

Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said Friday that a plane had been sent up to look for her in the general area where her son's body had been found. In an e-mail Friday night, Troyer said the search will not resume unless new information turns up.

Mealy said his office planned no searches this weekend.

Thurston County authorities led the search for the mother and son after the van in which they were traveling was found abandoned and partially submerged Sunday off a remote area north of Olympia. Pierce County took the lead in the investigation when the boy's body was found in that county.

The mother and son disappeared on Saturday while traveling from Silverdale to visit her stepfather in Castle Rock, Cowlitz County. She made a series of telephone calls from Olympia to tell her fiancé, Robb Simmons, that she would be later than expected, explaining that she had stopped for food or had lost her way. When she never arrived, a search was launched.

Simmons told authorities this week that Smiley is a recovering alcoholic who had relapsed last week. But he said he was certain she would never do anything to endanger her son.

However, Smiley's record as a parent is not unblemished. In the past five years, the state's Child Protective Services (CPS) has investigated three of 10 complaints involving Smiley and her son, the most recent in April 2009.

In June 2005, someone reported the boy had suffered serious physical abuse, according to Sherry Hill, a spokeswoman for the agency. Smiley's ex-boyfriend was arrested for assault but never prosecuted.

After its investigation, CPS could not determine who had committed the abuse, Smiley or the ex-boyfriend. At that point, Smiley voluntarily sent the boy to live with relatives.

In March 2007, CPS investigated a complaint that Smiley had physically abused her son, but the complaint was deemed &quot;unfounded.&quot;

In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son. &quot;The child was left unsupervised after she had passed out from alcohol abuse,&quot; Hill said. The boy was placed with relatives while Smiley received substance-abuse treatment.

The most recent complaint, considered &quot;information only,&quot; was not investigated.

CPS says it will now conduct an extensive &quot;fatality review,&quot; which involves going over every aspect of the case to see if mistakes were made by any agency along the way. Such a review is required by law because the child died within one year of receiving CPS services.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011393025_missing20m.html

^ i cannot edit it, but meant to underline the mid section bold, &quot;CPS investigated 3 of 10 complaints..&quot;&nbsp; who the fuck has 10 complaints against them? and she twice sent Azriel to live with relatives.&nbsp; She was a POS loser of a mother.

RIP poor little boy.

Olivia

3/10 complaints investigated is pretty shite.&nbsp; I can't believe there wasn't even a 50% investigation rate

Re: Shantina Smiley and her 8-year-old son vanished March 13, 2010

Shantina's local paper had this picture with their article.&nbsp; &nbsp; I used to live in Kitsap County.

More details here and in links located within this article:

[size=11pt]Silverdale Boy's Death Ruled an Accidental Drowning[/size]

By Derek Sheppard
    Posted March 19, 2010 at 12:01 a.m. , updated March 19, 2010 at 7:55 p.m.
    &nbsp; &nbsp;
    The death of a Silverdale boy whose body washed ashore in Pierce County came into clearer focus on Friday, and two differing pictures of his mother, who remains missing, continued to emerge.

While it appears 8-year-old Azriel Carver’s death was accidental, questions remain about how it happened. And investigators still haven’t found any signs of his mother, 29-year-old Shantina “Kat” Smiley. The search by air and sea for the mother on Friday focused on the water and shorelines of Puget Sound.

On Friday afternoon the Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled Azriel’s death an accidental drowning. The Thurston County Sheriff’s Office, which sent a detective to the autopsy, said there were no signs of assault. The discovery of Azriel’s body high on a shoreline at the south end of Fox Island near Gig Harbor the day before brought sorrow to a case that had been filled with mystery and anxiety.

At Vinland Elementary School, where Azriel was a second-grade student, the reader board simply read “Azriel,” followed by a heart.

According to Washington State Child Protective Services records, Azriel’s short life may have been filled with strife, though the accounts of courts and state agencies fly in the face of the devoted, dedicated and determined life Smiley appeared to be living in recent years.

Between June 2005 and April 2009, Smiley was the subject of 10 complaints to the child-protection agency, CPS spokeswoman Sherry Hill said.

In June 2005, CPS investigated after Azriel suffered facial bruises and a broken arm. At the time, Smiley’s ex-boyfriend — who was not related to the boy — was suspected. The charges were later dropped.

The same year, Smiley filed for a protection order against the man, which the Kitsap Sun reported Wednesday.

In March 2007, Smiley was accused of abusing the child, but CPS called the allegation “unfounded.”

Then in August 2007, CPS declared Smiley “negligent” for leaving Azriel unsupervised “after she had passed out from alcohol use,” Hill said.

After the 2005 and August 2007 complaints, Smiley voluntarily gave up custody to her family, she said. Each time, Smiley entered treatment and passed examinations before regaining custody, Hill said.

The most recent report was filed as “information,” when a school employee in April 2009 made a legally-required report after Azriel began acting out in school, and Smiley revealed a history of abuse.

CPS is now doing a “fatality review” to see if anything should have been done differently, Hill said.

While the case still has a steady stream of unanswered questions, the subject of alcohol and alcoholism has recurred. Earlier in the week, Smiley’s fiance, Robb Simmons, said she was a recovering alcoholic who had relapsed recently, but denied that it would have had anything to do with the pair’s disappearance.

In 2005, Smiley received a deferred prosecution in a drunken-driving and hit-and-run case out of Castle Rock. In April of that year, she allegedly swiped a parked truck and fled on foot, according to documents obtained by the Kitsap Sun. The police report alleges Smiley was too intoxicated to perform field-sobriety tests safely and claims a breath test revealed a blood-alcohol level of 0.243, three times the legal limit.

Deferred prosecutions are agreements to avoid jail time and drop charges in exchange for a period of sobriety and lawfulness. That probationary period was set to end in April of this year.

Her history is in contrast to the story of a woman who, by her own accounts on social networks and those of friends and family, was getting her life together, in a loving relationship and close with her son. She had graduated from Olympic College, getting a degree in medical billing, and was involved in her son’s Cub Scout program as a den leader.

Dozens of supportive messages, prayers and memories have filled a Facebook page dedicated to Smiley and Azriel called “Prayers for Shantina Smiley and her son — Rest In Peace — Azriel Carver.”

One woman who attended the medical coding and billing program with Smiley said she and other students who knew her are dismayed at the treatment Smiley and her family have received in some media, and she wanted to present her memories of the attractive, intelligent woman she knew.

“She was one of the nicest people,” the woman, who declined to disclose her name, said. “From what I could see, she had her life in order.” She remembered Smiley as a woman who talked constantly about her son. “This is like the last thing in the world that could have happened,” she said.

Even if Smiley did relapse, the woman said, “We’re all just people.”

But authorities, too, have centered on alcohol as a factor in the pair’s disappearance. Smiley and Azriel apparently took a directionless drive north of Olympia on Saturday night when they were supposed to be headed from their Silverdale home to Castle Rock to see her family. Surveillance footage shows Smiley buying a large bottle of wine, and authorities found what they believe is that bottle, half empty and corked, after it washed ashore along with one of her shoes, a ball and an inhaler belonging to Azriel.

Investigators still don’t know what happened to Smiley, but Thurston County Sheriff’s Detective Sgt. Cheryl Stines said recent developments have led police to focus on water and shorelines searches.

“I think that’s a very strong possibility,” she said.

On Sunday morning, a nearby resident found their minivan, doors open and keys on the dash, partially submerged and stuck in the mud near Dana Passage. At high tide, it appeared the water covered the van, Stines said.

But whatever evidence there is seems to be is circumstantial at this point. As far as what happened to Shantina Smiley, there are still only questions.

“We’ll probably have those for a while,” Stines said. “You may never know.”

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/19/missing-boys-death-ruled-accidental/#ixzz0iiVu2ZDQ

Still captured from convenience store video camera:

Off Zangle Road NE in North Olympia is a narrow gravel road leading to the beach where the van Shantina Smiley had been driving was found. The entrance to that gravel road is marked by a red arrow:

This is near the end of the beach access road where the van Shantina Smiley was driving was found. At the end of this graveled road is a very sharp drop-off to the right. The red dot marks the approximate location of the vehicle, which was removed by investigators Sunday. The waterway to the left leads to Boston Harbor:

Jay Carver, right, is comforted by a chaplain near the scene where the body of his son, 8-year-old Azriel, was found on Thursday. Azriel and his mother, Shantina Smiley, 29, went missing Saturday night, and Smiley still has not been found:

RIP Azriel

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

The high tide that night was at 8:41 pm at 13.4 feet. &nbsp;That is quite a bit of difference from the photos of a partly submerged car. &nbsp;How the heck do you confuse that large rocky beach for a road, drunk or not? &nbsp;Very sad &nbsp;:-(

Pacific Northwest Tide Tables - Search results

Tide tables for Olympia, Budd Inlet starting on March 18, 2010:

Day&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; High&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Tide&nbsp; Height&nbsp; Sunrise&nbsp; Moon&nbsp; Time&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; % Moon
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; /Low&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Time&nbsp; &nbsp; Feet&nbsp; &nbsp; Sunset&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Visible

Th&nbsp; 18&nbsp; &nbsp; Low&nbsp; 1:54 AM&nbsp; &nbsp; 4.5&nbsp; 7:18 AM&nbsp; &nbsp; Rise&nbsp; 7:58 AM&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 3
    &nbsp; &nbsp; 18&nbsp; &nbsp; High&nbsp; 7:34 AM&nbsp; &nbsp; 14.4&nbsp; 7:21 PM&nbsp; &nbsp; Set 11:01 PM
    &nbsp; &nbsp; 18&nbsp; &nbsp; Low&nbsp; 2:21 PM&nbsp; &nbsp; 0.6
    &nbsp; &nbsp; 18&nbsp; High&nbsp; 8:41 PM&nbsp; &nbsp; 13.4

For information on regulations for fishing in Washington contact:
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

© 1999-2010 Tide High and Low, Inc.

adv
    *edit for tide chart

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

[quote author=poppy213 link=topic=24602.msg1569141#msg1569141 date=1269093545]
    The high tide that night was at 8:41 pm at 13.4 feet.&nbsp; That is quite a bit of difference from the photos of a partly submerged car.&nbsp; How the heck do you confuse that large rocky beach for a road, drunk or not?&nbsp; Very sad&nbsp; :-(

http://www.saltwatertides.com/cgi-local/seattletimes6.cgi
    [/quote]

It looks like the sort of road that once she'd have turned on to, she was stuck and could only go forward.&nbsp; It doesn't look as though she'd be able to turn around.&nbsp;

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Any explanation why this drunk bitch had custody of the kid after she racked up 10 complaints to CPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=24602.msg1569209#msg1569209 date=1269101064]
    Any explanation why this drunk bitch had custody of the kid after she racked up 10 complaints to CPS?
    [/quote]

Because only three were investigated.&nbsp; :|

Wow, definitely marking my spot on this one. I hate not knowing what happened. I wonder if maybe she got washed away trying to get out of the van and Azriel went out trying to rescue her and also drowned? I don't know, whatever it is, I hope they get answers.

marking cause i just saw this on nancy grace.

[quote author=SinDee link=topic=24602.msg1570959#msg1570959 date=1269235646]
    marking cause i just saw this on nancy grace.
    [/quote]

Did they show the bed?

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24602.msg1570960#msg1570960 date=1269235697]
    Did they show the bed?
    [/quote]

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24602.msg1570963#msg1570963 date=1269235855]

[/quote]

:oops: I was thinking the Sony chick under the bed.&nbsp; :lol:

lolwut?

haha i dont know but i am waiting to see what happened to the mom. I want to know if there is a twist and she's not dead.

Thread Information