Thread: Jonathan Dorey missing since 2nd March 2010

Jonathan Dorey missing since 2nd March 2010

Taken from the bbc news website:

A Guernsey exchange student at a university in the US state of Virginia has been missing for almost a week.

Geography student Jonathan Samuel Dorey, 22, was last seen on the Virginia Commonwealth University campus in the city of Richmond on 2 March.

His phone has been off and his bike, his main form of transport, has gone. He does not have his passport with him.

Bob Beebe, a family friend and spokesman, said: "Everyone's thoughts are with Jonny's parents and friends."

He said: "Both the Guernsey authorities and emergency services in the US are working hard to trace Jonny as soon as possible.

"It's important that if anyone locally has any information about Jonny's movements in the last few days, especially those who perhaps have not been in the island for the last few days, or if anyone has had contact with Jonny since last Tuesday by any means, to notify Guernsey Police on 725111 at the earliest opportunity."

Mr Dorey's parents have travelled to the US to help the search, which is being co-ordinated by state and university police.

BBC news website:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/guernsey/8555452.stm

Help find the missing page:
    http://www.helpfindthemissing.org/forum/showthread.php?p=730266

[Sorry I am new at this]

Re: Jonathan Dorey missing since 2nd March 2010

I was just going to post this.  I think this is his myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/71888438

So that's obviously not helpful.  However, his family and friends are doing a really great job using Facebook to get the word out.

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/p...d=350577843749

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=340658871269

Seems like some of his friends think he just decided to just go off a la Christopher McCandless.  I hope that's all it is; Richmond can be a very dangerous place.  I hope Jonny is found safe soon!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Missing-Exchange-Student-Jonathan-Doreys-Personal-Belongings-Found-As-Parents-Make-Video-Appeal/Article/201003415581464?lpos=World_News_First_Home_Article _Teaser_Region_7&lid=ARTICLE_15581464_Missing_ Exchange_Student_Jonathan_Doreys_Personal_Belongin gs_Found_As_Parents_Make_Video_Appeal

Personal belongings of the missing British exchange student Jonathan Dorey have been discovered along a river near to where he disappeared.

Virginia Commonwealth University police said the items were found by a member of the public along the James River in Richmond.

VCU police chief John Venuti said officers were continuing to search for the 22-year-old, who is a keen cyclist, as well as his bicycle.

The discovery comes as Jonathan's parents begged him to get in contact with them in a video appeal.

Alan and Debbie Dorey pleaded with the public for help in finding their son, who has not been seen for almost three weeks.

Two new photos of the VCU student have been released along with the parents' heartfelt message.

"Johnny, I'm just sending you a message from my heart, because you know the last thing I said to you was to keep safe," Debbie said.

"We love you so much, everybody's out looking for you. There's a lot of media interest that we don't want to you to be scared of.

"You can come home to Guernsey ... and take all the time you want and find out what you really want to do in life.

"Please come home and get in touch with somebody. We love you so much."

His father Alan added: "Johnny, if you see this message, please send me a text on my mobile. Just contact us so that we know you're safe."

In the recorded message, the couple thanked the media for help in publicising the disappearance and called on the public for information.

Alan continued: "We think he has maybe gone off on a trip or to chill out. We know that he has visited New York, New Orleans and Austin in Texas.

"We are desperate for information on his whereabouts. Please contact the VCU police if you have any information or if you see him."

Jonathan has been missing from VCU since March 4.

A $10,000 reward (around £6,715) has been offered for any information leading to his location by VCU and the University of the West of England, where he has transferred from.

Dorey, is described as 6ft tall, weighing 180 pounds, with brown hair and speaking with a British accent.

He wears glasses and was last seen wearing a blue and white plaid jacket with a hood and dark blue jeans.

Dorey is an accomplished mountain bicyclist, and was riding a black mountain bike, the seat of which is black with a red stripe in the middle.

Police do not suspect foul play in his disappearance.
    beli : Cunt fingers. Just like butterfingers, only cuntier.

Jonny Dorey (British Exchange Student missing in Virginia

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/mar/15/jonny-dorey-missing-student-virginia-university
    PLEASE JOIN FACEBOOK GROUP::
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&ref=search&gid=35057784 3749#!/group.php?gid=350577843749
    :-(
    Fears are growing over a British exchange student who disappeared 12 days ago from a university in Virginia. Jonny Dorey, 22, a geography student from Guernsey, was last seen leaving the Virginia Commonwealth University campus in Richmond, US, on 2 March with his mountain bike and a backpack.
    He last used his mobile phone that morning, from Belle Isle, a rural area close to the campus popular with mountain bikers and walkers. Despite two extensive searches in the area, police are no further forward in tracing him or his bike.
    A family friend, Bob Beebe, said yesterday that his parents, Alan and Debbie, were "very distressed" but remained focused on trying to find him.
    Beebe said that Dorey's disappearance was "uncharacteristic" and that, two days before he went missing, he had been making travel plans with a friend by email.
    "This week is spring break over there and he and this friend had been making plans. He was very happy, he's a very lovable lad."
    Beebe said that Dorey's parents, who have travelled to the US to help in the search, have now taken on an experienced local mountain bike guide who knows every track in the area, in the event that he may have wandered further afield.
    Police are trying to piece together Dorey's last movements. They have said there is no evidence of foul play.
    They have been looking at his computer and phone records in a bid to piece together his last movements.
    Beebe said it was hoped that these clues, along with help from people in the local area, would help the search team to retrace Dorey's steps and follow his planned movements.
    "Someone somewhere must have seen Jonny Dorey that Tuesday," he said.
    "All it takes is somebody sending a message from an internet cafe, a phone box, Twitter, and that single piece of information will help to complete that very complex jigsaw."
    VCU has put out a $5,000 reward for information, and his friends have set up a Facebook group to share any information, which now has almost 20,000 members.

FACEBOOK GROUOP

Re: Jonny Dorey (British Exchange Student missing in Virginia

Jonnys backpack was found next to River, still no sign of Mountain Bike.
    http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-water-search-for-jonny-dorey,0,6361971.story

I'm hoping he's found safe and well.
    Unfortunately this was not the case for a recent MISSING persons.

Hayden Reynolds-Evans 18 years old from Shrewsbury, England. was missing for 1 month after dissapearing walking between 2 pubs, a walk that should've taken 5 minutes,at 10pm Monday the 1st Feb.

FACEBOOK GROUP:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&ref=search&gid=35057784 3749#!/group.php?gid=295701187578&ref=ts
    Unfortunately, after much effort from Police and nationwide interest,
    :-(
    http://www.shropshirestar.com/2010/03/19/sorrow-as-teenager-identified-as-hayden-reynolds-evans/

''Sorrow as teenager identifiedFriday 19th March 2010, 1:38PM GMT

A man recovered from the River Severn in Shrewsbury was today identified as being missing teenager Hayden Reynolds-Evans.

Hayden, 18, had been missing for just under six weeks before the find was made in the river at Frankwell on Saturday.

The teenager, of Claverley Road, Shrewsbury, was reported missing on February 1.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Jamieson today confirmed the man had been identified as Hayden.

He said: “Our thoughts are with Hayden’s family and friends. We are continuing to investigate the circumstances of his disappearance on the evening of Monday, February 1, following his return to Shrewsbury from Liverpool by train at around 10pm.

“A post mortem has been held and a report into the tragedy is being prepared for the coroner.”

Police said Hayden’s parents, Julie and Stuart, today thanked everyone for their messages of support.
    ''

I meant to post this awhile ago...  I'm in Richmond so have been following it.

It's very strange.  I haven't the slightest..

JONNYS MYSPACE:

http://www.myspace.com/slightlytomoderately

IF ANYONES SEEN ANYTHING PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH THE RICHMOND POLICE

Thanks for posting to the other thread im going to keep this one up anyome for more information x

[quote author=danihelxxx link=topic=24728.msg1574912#msg1574912 date=1269510662]
    Thanks for posting to the other thread im going to keep this one up anyome for more information x
    [/quote]

Maybe a mod can merge them for you.  That would make it easier to read and keep track of updates and info

Police haven't confirmed ID of body found, but probably likely to be Jonathan Dorey, given the place he was last seen.

Body found in James River
    Updated: Mar 29, 2010 1:06 AM

Rescue crews are on scene in south Richmond working to recover, what authorities say, is a corpse from the James River.

The body was discovered around 12:00 Sunday afternoon on Brander St. near the I-95 bridge.

Early reports indicate that water rescue crews where already in the area searching for missing VCU student Jonathan Dorey when they came across the body.

However police say there is no immediate indication that the corpse found this afternoon is Dorey.

We've a crew on the scene and will have more information as it becomes available.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=12217048
    EDIT: According to up-date, body found in James River was NOT Jonathan Dorey - ID'd as Ferdinand Nathaniel Jr. (65) who was reported missing earlier this month.

Good news for Jonny. Not so much for Mr Nathaniel Jr.

Just read you reply. Thank god it wasn't him. still I hate to say the outlook is looking bleak no contact with anyone for that long .I still hope he's alright thought.

I read somewhere that he was the last victim os the smiley face..  :-(

http://a11news.com/57/smiley-face-murders/

[quote author=Xanoca link=topic=24482.msg1621622#msg1621622 date=1273672093]
    I read somewhere that he was the last victim os the smiley face..   :-(

[/quote]

:-o That link is full of info!!

[quote author=Xanoca link=topic=24482.msg1621622#msg1621622 date=1273672093]
    I read somewhere that he was the last victim os the smiley face..   :-(

[/quote]

That is crap.  His body has not been found.

In that case, hope that he'll be find alive and safe. 

Olivia

Mother of Jonny Dorey tells why she believes her son took his own life

The family of a Guernsey student who went missing six months ago say they now believe he took his own life.

In an emotional interview with Channel Television, Jonny Dorey's mum says no one knew at the time how unhappy he was, and how much he was struggling with depression.

Jonny was studying in the United States when he went missing. His body has never been found and police are still investigating his disappearance.

Debbie Dorey said: "Jonny was suffering from mental depression, and we think he took his own life. He loved Guernsey that's why it's so hard for us not to have found his body to bring him home. You can't survive without your family and your friends, absolutely not, and I haven't been [that] easy to live with understandably. I think it's out in the open now that we do now know Jonny was suffering from mental depression and we think he took his own life, which, it's even worse than losing a son. You know, you think they're alright. Outwardly he was alright but underneath he had terrible, terrible depression and that's what was such a shock to all his friends really because it was so unexpected. [It's] unbearable for me as a mother. I'm still on a lot of medication just to keep going but I'm a person who keeps busy anyway and I think I've been keeping busy all my life so I haven't stopped this summer. But it's just, you've just got to be occupied really. Occupy your mind and occupy yourself just to keep going."

Debbie Dorey's now urging young people who are also suffering from the illness, to speak out and find help.

She said: "He was out all the time. He wasn't sat looking morose or anything so you just didn't think he was suffering like that. But please talk to your children about their emotions, their feelings because I feel I could have now. [Of] course in hindsight I could have done a lot more but Simon probably looked the same to me as Jonny but he's totally fine. You don't know what's going on in people's heads. Instead of talking to somebody to help him he bottled it all up and that's why I want people in Guernsey to know that if you know if you're worrying about something, especially young men, please talk to someone. Talk to your peers. You don't necessarily about some of the things, it wouldn't be healthy. But talk and please can we have more people in Guernsey that will listen. There's mental illnesses, there's a stigma with it but we need as an island to open up about it. Especially when you see a lovely young man losing his life through mental illness."

If you or anyone you know has been affected by the issues in this story, there is help available:

Guernsey Association for Mental Health (MIND) - (01481) 722959

Guernsey Schizophrenia Fellowship (01481) 723308 Email: gsfmentalhealth@cwgsy.net

Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service - Bell House - (01481) 701441

VCU is my alma mater. Gladding Residence Center, the dorm where he was staying, is the same dorm where Taylor Biehl disappeared from back a couple years ago.

That part of the river, Bell Isle, can be scary at night and after a couple of beers.

This is so terrible, especially him being so far from home.  

Thread Information