Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawn Brancheau (40) was dragged underwater and drowned by a killer whale

Re: Dawn Brancheau (40) was dragged underwater and drowned by a killer whale

[quote author=kevansvault link=topic=24326.msg1546395#msg1546395 date=1267066478]
    I used to work (for another A-B theme park) and we had sea lions. 
    [/quote]

Did you know that when you use parenthesis it should be to set apart incidental information which could be completely left out and the sentence would still make sense?

So your sentence would say, "I used to work, and we had sea lions." Is that what you mean to say?
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24326.msg1546397#msg1546397 date=1267066719]
    Did you know that when you use parenthesis it should be to set apart incidental information which could be completely left out and the sentence would still make sense?

So your sentence would say, "I used to work, and we had sea lions." Is that what you mean to say?
    [/quote]

Yeah, that's what happens with distracted posting.  My bad.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

The news just called the whale a serial killer whale.

marking :(

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24326.msg1546422#msg1546422 date=1267068175]
    The news just called the whale a serial killer whale.
    [/quote]

Maybe we should make him a thread in the serial killer section. Does have a myspace?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24326.msg1546426#msg1546426 date=1267068372]
    Maybe we should make him a thread in the serial killer section. Does have a myspace?
    [/quote]

Is this him, I can't tell-they all look alike.

Two of the songs on his page are immortal and big happy whale 

Caption below pic
    watch out ! the mad whale is comming

http://www.myspace.com/johnwhale

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24326.msg1546365#msg1546365 date=1267064205]

I was just going to post that whales never escape and run through the park eating people but my daughter is d/ling music so my computer is really slow and boogie beat me to it.   :2angry:

[/quote]uh huh, suurrrre.  steal boogie's thunder. 

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California

Here's another article I found that goes into more detail about the other people killed by the whale and the euthanasia policy they have.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/killer-whale-that-killed-seaworld-trainer-was-involved-in-2-other-deaths/19372534
    (Feb. 24) -- An animal trainer at SeaWorld Orlando was killed this afternoon in front of horrified theme park visitors by an orca that was involved in two previous deaths.

"It is with great sadness that I report that one of our most experienced animal trainers drowned in an incident with one of our killer whales this afternoon," SeaWorld General Manager Dan Brown said in a statement. "We've initiated an investigation to determine, to the extent possible, what occurred. There are no other details to report at this time."

As the investigation proceeds, the area of the park that contained the whale has been shut down and the guests evacuated, the Orlando Sentinel said. The newspaper reported that other areas of the Florida park remain open.

The trainer was identified as 40-year-old Dawn Brancheau, who had spent more than a decade working with killer whales.

A witness interviewed by CBS affiliate WKMG Local 6 said she saw the whale leap out of the water and grab the woman, who was in the middle of introducing the orca and explaining to onlookers what they would see during the show.

"He was thrashing her around pretty good. It was violent," the witness told Local 6.

But a spokesman for the Orange County sheriff's office described the incident differently.

"We had a female trainer back in the whale holding area. She apparently slipped or fell into the tank and was fatally injured by one of the whales," said spokesman Jim Solomons.

Chuck Tompkins, head of animal training at SeaWorld, later confirmed the witness account. "She was apparently rubbing the animal down and apparently the whale pulled her in," he told WFTV. "She was pulled in and she drowned."

Tompkins confirmed reports from numerous sources that the animal responsible for the attack is a 12,000-pound, 30-year-old male called Tilikum -- "Friend" in the Chinook Native American language -- that has been linked to two prior human fatalities.

The first occurred in 1991 at the now-defunct Sealand of the Pacific park in Canada. Tilikum and two female whales drowned a 20-year-old marine biology student and part-time animal trainer in front of other staff members, according to the New York Daily News.

Then in 1999, Tilikum -- who had been transferred to SeaWorld following the closure of Sealand of the Pacific -- was found one morning with a 27-year-old homeless man on his back, also drowned, CBS Orlando 4 reported. The man had apparently remained hidden in the park until closing and then climbed into the tank or sneaked in after hours.

These two incidents as well as various other nonfatal incidents involving orcas going back to the 1970s have led the Humane Society of the United States to vehemently oppose keeping the animals in captivity and training them to perform in front of crowds.

"SeaWorld should have changed their policy in terms of Tilikum years ago," Naomi Rose, orca biologist and senior scientist at the Humane Society, told AOL News. "This was an accident waiting to happen."

Rose pointed to a 2006 investigation into an accident at SeaWorld San Diego when a 39-year-old trainer suffered serious injuries after being bitten and dragged underwater by an orca during a performance. The trainer was following industry standards, investigators said.

In a report detailing the findings, the California Division of Occupational Safety concluded:

Swimming with captive orcas is inherently dangerous and if someone hasn't been killed already it is only a matter of time before it does happen. The trainers recognize this risk and train not for if an attack will happen but when. The orca is capable of tearing off an arm, a leg, or a head and if that is against its nature it could easily drown a human or trap it in the cold waters of the tank until the human expires from hypothermia. Even if the animal does not have the intent to kill, the bulk and weight of its body is enough to smash a person against the sides of the pool, knocking them unconscious or crushing them to death.

SeaWorld was subsequently issued a citation in that case, but Rose maintains that not only did the organization fail to act upon the investigators' recommendations, but the conclusions reached in the report were actively suppressed.

"One of the biggest problems is that SeaWorld miseducates the public," Rose told AOL News. "What the public is seeing isn't a contented animal behaving naturally but a caricature dragged into a box and not given any choice. These are very intelligent, powerful, social animals and I'm afraid that this is what happens when they are not given any choice as to their own lifestyle and behavior."

But SeaWorld is not without its defenders. Take journalist Amy Sutherland, who spent a year researching animal training techniques for her popular books "Kicked, Bitten and Scratched" and "What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love and Marriage."

"SeaWorld in particular is revered in the animal training world," she said to AOL News. "It has pioneered some of the most progressive training techniques and is well known for using positive reinforcement. From a care perspective, they do a great job, both in caring for their animals' needs and for their trainers' safety."

She trusts SeaWorld to conduct a thorough internal investigation to determine what went wrong in this case and believes that it will adjust its policies accordingly.

Meanwhile, Rose said that the Humane Society would prefer to see Tilikum retired to an area of SeaWorld where he is not involved in "stressful" public performances. While the organization does not support euthanizing the animal, she recommends allowing trainers to have an "elephant gun" handy to put down any animals that threaten human safety.

She also said that Tilikum's behavior may indicate that he is close to the end of his own life. "He may be days away from dying. Whales can go off their feed and be dead within 48 hours. They often hide their illnesses, so it's difficult to know. Clearly he was acting out for some reason in this incident."

The orca, or "killer" whale, is actually the largest member of the dolphin family. The animals get their nickname from the fact that they sometimes hunt actual whales for food and are the "most widely distributed mammal in the world" besides humans, according to MarineBio.org.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

I wonder how much life insurance is if you work with killer whales.

ron_nyc: I don't like the black ones much.

http://www.nypost.com/video?vxSiteId=a89dc16f-1771-485a-8c76-3ebbf3072361&vxChannel=PostUsFeed&vxCl ipId=1458_866978&vxBitrate=700

Here is video right before the whale raged. 

What really sucks, for me anyways, is that she probably really loved all the sea animals she worked with and I know I as a pet owner like to think they can feel my love and feel safe with me and never hurt me but to have one attack in such a violent manner and kill breaks my heart for her. I have a large macaw I hand raised and sometimes he reverts and goes ape shit and has bit the shit outta me. It hurts my feelings more than the bite at the time because I just don't get why he does that, then I remember he's still a wild animal with wild instincts. I project human emotion onto my pets more than I should. I guess most animal lovers do this time to time. Not saying Dawn did, but it would be hard for me not to. And I bet she wouldn't want him harmed for doing this, most people who live through these experiences don't.

RIP Dawn, sorry this magnificent creature you loved and respected did this to you.

I feel really sorry for Dawn, I am sure had she survived she would have still loved the wonderful mammals as much as she did before this happened.  I think retiring Tilikum and putting him somewhere where he could get social interaction,etc. with other whales would be the best option.  He shouldn't interact with people any longer.  I don't feel he should be blamed for some moron jumping/falling into his tank.  That was just Darwin at work.  But the trainers, professionals, now that is a diff. story.  As I read these are highly intelligent creatures; I wonder if they suddenly act out because or boredom or captivity?  Sort of like Elephants?

the color nine

From what I read this particular animal was not pleased at being captured and taken from the sea.  He was not into Sea World and tried to tell human beings this from the beginning.  After he killed that trainer in BC he was sent to states with what was the understanding that it would not perform in anyway or manner.  Even though they limited it's performance to just splashing the audience, he still was near trainers and performed.  What the hell else does this animal have to do to convince Sea World?

Guys,

Killer Whales are extremely violent predators. This doesn't surprise me at all. Sometimes pods of them will attack sailboats, stove in their hulls and sink them. Just for the hell of it. They are the killers of killers, apex predators. It's ridiculous for us to think something like this isn't going to happen. It's instinctual.

The killer whale that killed this gal should be released. Not killed.

Orca hunts and kills a great white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErrtiU3EGc8

Click through and watch the cute Orca rip a seal to shreds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42mg0FnRicA

I really respect Jack Hanna and what he has to say here is perfect.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/25/earlyshow/living/petplanet/main6241962.shtml

(CBS)  Following the tragic death of Dawn Brancheau, a trainer at SeaWorld who died after being drowned by a killer whale named Tilikum, wildlife expert Jack Hanna, who knew Bancheau, said he still supports SeaWorld and their decision to keep the killer whale, despite its past with two human deaths.

"I take my hat off to SeaWorld to take a killer whale that someone said we should euthanize, (and) bring it to SeaWorld," Hanna said.

Hanna added that no trainer ever swam with Tilikum in the history it was at SeaWorld.

He said, "Tilly had youngsters with it because it was socialized with females there, so the value that Tilly has is insurmountable compared to --What happened is terrible, but -- "

"Early Show" co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez interjected, "But it killed another trainer after already having killed one years ago."

Hanna agreed, but compared working with these animals to going into outer space. He said the risk of keeping these whales in captivity is worth the risk for posterity's sake.

"This is the type of work that we do," he said. "We do everything we can (to put) the safety of our animals and visitors first. The SeaWorld in-vitro planted, They can now take sperm and eggs and have a baby killer whale. Let's say 20, 30 years from now, there's 200 killer whales left in the wild. Let me tell you where we're going to go: We're going to go to SeaWorld and see what to to save this magnificent creature. That's how valuable it is for what we're doing with research. I hear all these other people commenting with killer whales. Give me a break. Seaworld are the ones that know more about killer whales, and the millions of dollars they spend this rescuing whales is unbelievable. And we put them back out in the wild. So no one hears about this."

But at what point does a whale get too big to be in captivity?

"I don't know, you know," Hanna responded. "Some people said they know what the whale thinking. That's impossible. I don't know what the whale is thinking I don't know what stress is to a whale. All I know is that SeaWorld provides the best possible care, and I've in been going to those parks for 30-something years. And I always seen nothing but animals that seem to be very, very happy. That's all I know from what I see as a person that's been in the business 40 years."

Hanna, who worked occasionally with Bancheau for his wildlife show, said the aquarium and zoo world is still in shock.

"We're such a small family and when you lose somebody I still can't believe that a beautiful person like dawn who people so admired, who I compare to really like an astronaut or an Olympic athlete. She was the best there was at what she did. And my heart goes out to them."

Hanna said the wildlife work Brancheau did was her legacy, and that it should be kept alive.

the color nine

[quote author=PCP777 link=topic=24326.msg1546670#msg1546670 date=1267112725]
    Guys,

Killer Whales are extremely violent predators. This doesn't surprise me at all. Sometimes pods of them will attack sailboats, stove in their hulls and sink them. Just for the hell of it. They are the killers of killers, apex predators. It's ridiculous for us to think something like this isn't going to happen. It's instinctual.

The killer whale that killed this gal should be released. Not killed.

[/quote]

Of course it's going to happen, they are animals.  Yet Sea World started with the "Shamu's" in 1960 and there have been how many people killed?  I'm sure they will go with the percentage argument.
    Even though they no longer capture these animals from the sea I still think this program should stop.  They are too large for captivity and too smart to be content with performing tricks in a tank.

the color nine

"I don't know, you know," Hanna responded. "Some people said they know what the whale thinking. That's impossible. I don't know what the whale is thinking I don't know what stress is to a whale. All I know is that SeaWorld provides the best possible care, and I've in been going to those parks for 30-something years. And I always seen nothing but animals that seem to be very, very happy. That's all I know from what I see as a person that's been in the business 40 years."

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=24326.msg1546694#msg1546694 date=1267114856]

[/quote]http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/25/killer-whales-dont-usually-kill-people/

"I just think the killer whale may have wanted a social companion and just held her under too long," Black told LiveScience. "I would think the killer whale didn't do it intentionally but more as a play thing. They're so powerful." She added killer whales don't have to come up for air as often as a human might and could reasonably hold someone underwater for 15 to 20 minutes."

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=24326.msg1546694#msg1546694 date=1267114856]

[/quote]

They were smiling, so he could tell they were happy.  

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=24326.msg1546699#msg1546699 date=1267115376]
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/25/killer-whales-dont-usually-kill-people/

"I just think the killer whale may have wanted a social companion and just held her under too long," Black told LiveScience. "I would think the killer whale didn't do it intentionally but more as a play thing. They're so powerful." She added killer whales don't have to come up for air as often as a human might and could reasonably hold someone underwater for 15 to 20 minutes."
    [/quote]

But he shook her violently according to witnesses. Is that what they do with their social companions?

the color nine

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=24326.msg1546699#msg1546699 date=1267115376]
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/25/killer-whales-dont-usually-kill-people/

[/quote]

Like Jack Hanna stated, it's impossible to know what a whale is thinking.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24326.msg1546708#msg1546708 date=1267115779]

But he shook her violently according to witnesses. Is that what they do with their social companions?
    [/quote]You have dogs that play with light weight toys, right?

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=24326.msg1546714#msg1546714 date=1267116042]
    You have dogs that play with light weight toys, right?
    [/quote]

I don't think of toys as social companions. I'm a social companion. A toy is a toy.

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=24326.msg1546713#msg1546713 date=1267115992]

Like Jack Hanna stated, it's impossible to know what a whale is thinking.
    [/quote]But it's not impossible that an animal may appear happy.

the color nine

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24326.msg1546708#msg1546708 date=1267115779]

[/quote]

It's what they do to seals before they eat them....smiling all the way.

the color nine

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=24326.msg1546717#msg1546717 date=1267116247]
    But it's not impossible that an animal may appear happy.
    [/quote]

I've seen my dog wag his tail happy about his new treat and snap at a kid who got close.  Wagging his tail all the way.

Thread Information