Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawn Brancheau (40) was dragged underwater and drowned by a killer whale

Dawn Brancheau (40) was dragged underwater and drowned by a killer whale

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2010/02/25/Dawn_Brancheau_(40)_was_dragged_underwater_and_dro wned_by_a_killer_whale

Whale kills Fla. SeaWorld trainer as guests watch
    ORLANDO, Fla. – A killer whale killed a SeaWorld Orlando trainer who slipped or fell in its tank Wednesday, drowning her in front of a horrified audience.

Dan Brown, president of the Orlando park, said the trainer was one of the park's most experienced.

He would not answer questions about whether it happened during a performance, but an audience member said a show was just starting.

The whale "took off really fast in the tank, and then he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing around, and one of her shoes flew off," Victoria Biniak told WKMG-TV.

Jim Solomons of the Orlando County Sheriff's Office, said the trainer slipped or fell into the whale's tank, which seemed to contradict Biniak's description.

"This appears to be an accidental death, a tragic death," said Solomons.

Neither Brown nor Solomons would release the trainer's name. The park is investigating, and Mike Wald, a spokesman for the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration office in Atlanta, said his agency has dispatched an investigator from Tampa.

The guests were asked to leave and the park was closed.

There have been several previous attacks on whale trainers at SeaWorld parks.

In November 2006, trainer Kenneth Peters, 39, was bitten and held underwater several times by a 7,000-pound killer whale during a show at SeaWorld's San Diego park.

He escaped with a broken foot. The 17-foot-long orca who attacked him was the dominant female of SeaWorld San Diego's seven killer whales. She had attacked Peters two other times, in 1993 and 1999.

In 2004, another whale at the company's San Antonio park tried to hit one of the trainers and attempted to bite him. He also escaped.

In December, a whale drowned a trainer at a Spanish zoo.

At the Orlando SeaWorld, the body of a naked man was found scratched, bruised and draped over a 5-ton orca named Tilikum in July 1999. Daniel Dukes, 27, reportedly made his way past security at SeaWorld, remaining in the park after it had closed. Wearing only his underwear, Dukes either jumped, fell or was pulled into the frigid water of Tilikum's huge tank.

An autopsy ruled that he died of hypothermia in the 50-degree water. But they also said it appeared Tilikum bit the man and tore off his swimming trunks, likely believing he was a toy to play with.

Dukes' parents filed a lawsuit against the park later that year but ended up withdrawing it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_us/us_seaworld_death

Re: Dawn Brancheau (40) was dragged underwater and drowned by a killer whale

This particular whale has killed 2 other people, apparently. Dumb ass guy that jumped into the tank on his own when the park was closed and another junior trainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    No one ever gets me. Where is Lawchick? We speak the same intellectual language.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Fuckin LawChick, how does she work?

[quote author=LawChick link=topic=24326.msg1546149#msg1546149 date=1267051017]
    This particular whale has killed 2 other people, apparently. Dumb ass guy that jumped into the tank on his own when the park was closed and another junior trainer.
    [/quote]

Killed one, injured one as far I have read.

[quote author=LawChick link=topic=24326.msg1546149#msg1546149 date=1267051017]
    [/quote]

Yea the part that makes me laugh is up above where it says that guy who sneaked in the parks family actually tried to sue Sea World over it.
    people are ridiculous. 

I can't find a video showing the actual moment. I want to say there is none. NINER!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

this is all i could find. no video

Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Two earlier deaths
    In 1991, the same orca, "along with two female (killer) whales, drowned a young part-time trainer named Keltie Byrne at Sealand of the Pacific in Canada," the Humane Society stated.

The orcas "weren't trying to kill Byrne, but Tillikum and his orca companions didn't know that humans can't hold their breath as long as whales," Humane Society scientist Naomi Rose said in a report on the group's Web site.

Video
    Trainer dies
    Feb. 24: A trainer dies in front of visitors at SeaWorld when a killer whale grabbed her from behind.

msnbc tv

Tillikum was later shipped to SeaWorld of Orlando, the Humane Society noted, and in 1999, "a man who had apparently stayed in the park after closing hours jumped into Tillikum's tank ... He was found dead the next morning, naked and draped across the whale. The man's swim trunks were found in the water, and his body was scraped up, a sign that Tillikum had dragged him around the bottom and sides of the tank."

An autopsy ruled that the man died of hypothermia in the 50-degree water. But officials also said it appeared Tillikum bit the man and tore off his swimming trunks, likely believing he was a toy to play with.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35566392?GT1=43001
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    No one ever gets me. Where is Lawchick? We speak the same intellectual language.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Fuckin LawChick, how does she work?

As sad as this is for the loss of human life, none of this is surprising.  These are wild animals.  They are kept in an unnatural environment.  We can't account for every instinct they might have in order to keep people safe.  Of course I take Sam to the zoo, and the aquarium, but none of this shocks me. 

the color nine

[quote author=g r ee n ey e s link=topic=24326.msg1546159#msg1546159 date=1267051331]
    I can't find a video showing the actual moment. I want to say there is none. NINER!!!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]

:lol:

This is all I can find so far.  It's a video of the whale and the eye witness telling the tale.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/24/killer.whale.trainer.death/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feed burner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3 A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+(RSS%3A+Top+Stories)&ut m_content=Google+Feedfetcher

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=24326.msg1546176#msg1546176 date=1267052426]
    This is all I can find so far.  It's a video of the whale and the eye witness telling the tale.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/24/killer.whale.trainer.death/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feed burner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3 A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+(RSS%3A+Top+Stories)&ut m_content=Google+Feedfetcher
    [/quote]

its sad because the whales dont know any better

i know this is the dumbest question ever, but they wouldnt put the whale down like they do with dogs who attack right?
    Since this is the third person this whale has killed.

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=24326.msg1546180#msg1546180 date=1267052671]

i know this is the dumbest question ever, but they wouldnt put the whale down like they do with dogs who attack right?
    [/quote]

I think it is a great question.  Can you really let a whale go free if it has been in captivity for x-number of years?

Olivia

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=24326.msg1546180#msg1546180 date=1267052671]

[/quote]

I would guess because the argument is that it's not really the whale's fault.  It was put into captivity.  Most dogs are bred for be tame, not feral which is why when they attack there is a bit of a difference? 

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=24326.msg1546181#msg1546181 date=1267052951]
    I think it is a great question.  Can you really let a whale go free if it has been in captivity for x-number of years?
    [/quote]

My guess would be probably not, that it would lose its survival instincts.

the color nine

Here is a video about the whales and trainers at Sea World Orlando.  I haven't watch it yet but I wonder if she is in it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNqO3OZT40

Olivia

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=24326.msg1546181#msg1546181 date=1267052951]
    [/quote]

I found this article about manatee's which is interesting.

Of the seven so-called “naive manatees” — those in captivity long term or captive-born — released back into the wild, three have been successes, according to Underwood.

Rita, reportedly the largest manatee ever at Sea World, was not one of them.

After 26 years in captivity, the 3,000-pound manatee was released in late February. She was found dead in July, reportedly of natural causes.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_lifestyle_animal/2009/12/after-years-in-captivity-can-manatees-go-back.html

Seaworld is one of my favorite places in the world.  Very sad. 
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

If Niner can't find a video, I believe it exsists not.

RIP Trainer Lady.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[/quote]I was thinking of this while I was driving to class tonight. I think the main difference is that a dog will snap and attack, purposely, while a whale inflicts injury simply because of its size...if that makes sense. And also the whale is not someone's pet, so no one is really responsible for it, and it wouldn't hurt an innocent bystander like dogs can do...so there's the whole lack of risk of it happening again.

So basically, I answered your dumb question with a dumber answer, and RIP trainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=24326.msg1546194#msg1546194 date=1267054078]
    I was thinking of this while I was driving to class tonight. I think the main difference is that a dog will snap and attack, purposely, while a whale inflicts injury simply because of its size...if that makes sense. And also the whale is not someone's pet, so no one is really responsible for it, and it wouldn't hurt an innocent bystander like dogs can do...so there's the whole lack of risk of it happening again.

So basically, I answered your dumb question with a dumber answer, and RIP trainer.
    [/quote]

:lol: no not dumb at all, thats a great answer and it makes sense.

i never thought about it in the sense that dogs can attack, but the whale can cause injury just because of his size

the color nine

So this statement leads me to believe that this whale was no longer involved in shows and was just living out his years.

Tilikum normally does not have a trainer in the tank as the killer whale is too large.  Tilikum is a nearly 30-year-old, 12,300-pound bull Orca killer whale.

Yes?  No?

the color nine

SeaWorld S.D. Suspends Shamu Show After Whale Kills Orlando Trainer

By City News Service

February 24, 2010

Killer whale shows at SeaWorld San Diego were suspended today after a woman trainer was killed by an orca at SeaWorld in Orlando, Fla., a spokesman for the theme park said.

The spokesman said he anticipated that killer whale shows will resume in San Diego tomorrow, saying it was typical to have a "dry show or no show" if there was an emergency.

I know it's out of respect but when I first read the headlines it struck me as though they thought all the whales in every Sea World were communicating and today was the last straw day.

Gee, you wouldn't think something with KILLER in its name would do something like this.  :roll:

What a crazy world.

This is SOOO tragic.  Scary as well.  I do hope they separate Tilikum and don't kill him...he sounds like he is rogue.  He is just doing what whales do.   I am sorry for her family.....this is all just so sad.  I hope we can find the video!!

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Dude. They aren't going to kill the whale.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

the color nine

ORLANDO, Fla. — A killer whale attacked and killed a trainer in front of a horrified audience at a SeaWorld show Wednesday, with witnesses saying the animal involved in two previous deaths dragged the trainer under and thrashed her around violently. Distraught audience members were hustled out of the stadium, and the park was immediately closed.

Veteran trainer Dawn Brancheau, 40, was one of the park's most experienced. It wasn't clear if she drowned or died from the thrashing

I hope her family is ok. :-(

Thread Information