Thread: Man in underwear leapt to death off of San Francisco's Forever 21

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California

Man in underwear leapt to death off of San Francisco's Forever 21

One of the guys on my boyfriends car forum saw this happen. Said people were yelling for him to jump. 

http://sfist.com/2010/02/17/man_leaps_to_his_death_off_forever.php

A man wearing only underwear got out on a ledge yesterday afternoon at 10 Cyril Magnin (the building at the base of Powell that was formerly a big Bank of America and now is a Forever 21 with lofts up above) and  took a leap to his death near the cable car turnaround before hostage negotiators could reach him.

Police Lt. Lyn Tomioka said, "It was too quick. By the time they got there, determined the doors were locked, they couldn't make any contact with him."

He was pronounced dead at the scene at around 3:25 p.m. The police are saying they don't know whether the man lived or worked in the building, but from the sound of the situation (and the underwear thing) we're going to venture that he was one of the condo dwellers, and the locked door in question was the door to his home.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Suicide-draws-crowd-at-Powell-and-Market-84529987.html

SAN FRANCISCO  — A man wearing only a pair of turquoise boxers jumped to his death from a ledge above Forever 21 on Powell Street on Tuesday.

The man attracted a crowd near the busy Powell Street cable car turnaround before jumping, according to witnesses. He apparently crawled out a window from what police are describing as a loft apartment above the store.

Witnesses reported seeing the man start to jump twice and then stop himself at the last second, before he finally made the jump.

Police spokeswoman Lt. Lyn Tomioka said a dispatcher started receiving calls about the man around 3:10 p.m. Police arrived and stopped pedestrian traffic in the area by 3:15 p.m., and a hostage negotiator arrived at 3:18 p.m., she said.

The negotiator tried to reach the man, but he had locked the door from the inside.

The man jumped at 3:25 p.m., she said. Less than 30 seconds later, paramedics determined he had no vital signs and pronounced him dead.

Because of its location, the ordeal was witnessed by a large crowd that documented it extensively on Twitter.

San Francisco resident Terence Prasad said he walked by the scene before the man jumped and heard some people shouting at the man, “don’t jump!”

But others, he said, were shouting “Jump!”

“It was kinda messed up,” he said. “But at least he’s in a better place now.”

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Suicide-draws-crowd-at-Powell-and-Market-84529987.html#ixzz0fqzH75ZY
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Re: Man in underwear leapt to death off of San Francisco's Forever 21

[quote author=PunkerDuckie link=topic=24233.msg1540938#msg1540938 date=1266463119]
    One of the guys on my boyfriends car forum saw this happen. Said people were yelling for him to jump. 

http://sfist.com/2010/02/17/man_leaps_to_his_death_off_forever.php

A man wearing only underwear got out on a ledge yesterday afternoon at 10 Cyril Magnin (the building at the base of Powell that was formerly a big Bank of America and now is a Forever 21 with lofts up above) and  took a leap to his death near the cable car turnaround before hostage negotiators could reach him.

Police Lt. Lyn Tomioka said, "It was too quick. By the time they got there, determined the doors were locked, they couldn't make any contact with him."

He was pronounced dead at the scene at around 3:25 p.m. The police are saying they don't know whether the man lived or worked in the building, but from the sound of the situation (and the underwear thing) we're going to venture that he was one of the condo dwellers, and the locked door in question was the door to his home.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Suicide-draws-crowd-at-Powell-and-Market-84529987.html

SAN FRANCISCO  — A man wearing only a pair of turquoise boxers jumped to his death from a ledge above Forever 21 on Powell Street on Tuesday.

The man attracted a crowd near the busy Powell Street cable car turnaround before jumping, according to witnesses. He apparently crawled out a window from what police are describing as a loft apartment above the store.

Witnesses reported seeing the man start to jump twice and then stop himself at the last second, before he finally made the jump.

Police spokeswoman Lt. Lyn Tomioka said a dispatcher started receiving calls about the man around 3:10 p.m. Police arrived and stopped pedestrian traffic in the area by 3:15 p.m., and a hostage negotiator arrived at 3:18 p.m., she said.

The negotiator tried to reach the man, but he had locked the door from the inside.

The man jumped at 3:25 p.m., she said. Less than 30 seconds later, paramedics determined he had no vital signs and pronounced him dead.

Because of its location, the ordeal was witnessed by a large crowd that documented it extensively on Twitter.

San Francisco resident Terence Prasad said he walked by the scene before the man jumped and heard some people shouting at the man, “don’t jump!”

But others, he said, were shouting “Jump!”

“It was kinda messed up,” he said. “But at least he’s in a better place now.”

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Suicide-draws-crowd-at-Powell-and-Market-84529987.html#ixzz0fqzH75ZY

[/quote]

These are the ignorant douchbags that come here spewing anger and crying for us not to discuss their loved ones...sickening.

RIP Boxer boy.

I don't know how any one person, let alone many people can yell "jump" to someone contemplating suicide. Did they think he was kidding? Thinking about this made me wanna hurl. So sad.

Another article:

A man jumps to his death and people -- laugh?

On Tuesday afternoon, a man crawled out of an apartment window. He stood on the ledge above the Forever 21 store at Powell St. near the cable car turnaround and, eventually, he jumped. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

But this is only part of the story. According to the SF Examiner, a large crowd watched as the man contemplated his demise. Some people tweeted about it. Even more horrifying, others encouraged him to jump, said passerby Terence Prasad, of San Francisco. (**The Chronicle and SFGate elected not to report on the suicide)

Online commenters who say they witnessed the incident paint a similarly disturbing picture. They describe the callous reaction and behavior of bystanders. At the same time, posters expressed with startling honesty the trauma of seeing the suicide while offering an outpouring of empathy, perhaps making up for the sickening lack of humanity yesterday and reminding us there are still many good, decent people out there.

Below are excerpts of posts from the Examiner, Flickr, Yelp and Facebook:

Wilfred Galila (SF Examiner)

I watched this man standing on the ledge a few moments before he jumped. He was thinking and hesistating (sic). I exclaimed that I hope that man is not going to jump and a lady replied that if he really wants to do it, he should already have done it. It is very disturbing then to learn that there were people who did encourage him to jump. Society has become so desensitized and human life reduced to an amusement and a spectacle.

jchuckp (SF Examiner)

... I was so disgusted at the severe lack of respect shown by so many in the crowd. All of the people who were encouraging him to jump.....may your souls burn for all eternity.

Jon Barnhardt (SF Examiner)

The fact that I saw people in the crowd laughing less than 10 seconds after the man's death may be more disturbing than actually watching him die. May he rest in peace.

Robert Kolbe (SF Examiner)

I walked by just as the police were covering him up. I asked a couple what had happened and the man responded yes -- laughingly. I asked him if he thought it was funny. He then gave me a kind of funny look and didn't say anything. How very sad this man died this way. People, please be nice to each other.

c. (SF Examiner)

i was there and im traumatized. the guys next to me were laughing telling him to jump and videotaping the whole thing. i'm still young and in high school and this is gunna stick with me for the rest of my life. there was a total lack of respect for the poor man and people were laughing when he jumped.

Kittie K. (Yelp)

Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for the victim/his family, tons of people were snapping pics and video and blocked me from seeing it despite being just a few feet from the body as I exited the store.

Mooncricket Films (Flickr):
    This person claims to have filmed the incident and wants to use the footage for a larger project on suicide and suicide prevention.

I'm teaming up with @andresra to present this story in an ethical and educational way. Andres and I are researching the incident, from speaking with other witnesses like myself to interviewing the victims neighbors. We're also requesting an interview with the SF Suicide Prevention Clinic to participate in this journalism project. This is necessary, the statistics are a morbid reality, suicide can be prevented and as a filmmaker I must do my part.

Nick.Fisher (Flickr)

I debated for the rest of the day on whether to post this at all. But I feel that it shouldn't go unnoticed. It should be reminder to everyone, including myself, that we need to be more considerate and aware of the suffering of our fellow humans. That maybe, if one person had screamed "don't do it!" this man would be alive right now.

Aaron Anderson (Facebook) posted an aerial shot of the crowd and the building on his Facebook page and included this poignant message:

Dear friends - literally, this just happened outside my office building. Promise me - you will come and have a cup of coffee or gelato with me before you do something this drastic. There's no need for tragedy in a world filed with grief. We can get you help.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/scavenger/detail?entry_id=57406#ixzz0fs8ANALS

I always want to kill myself when I'm at Forever 21.

some pictures of the scene can be found here:

http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress/2010/02/17/man-jumps-to-his-death-at-powell-and-market/

nothing grisly or anything but i dunno...it makes me sad to see all those people standing around, staring at the neat little package of his body left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

Sort of off topic, but that building looks awesome. I want to live in it. (Don't say there is a vacancy now, ya sickos.)
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24233.msg1541147#msg1541147 date=1266480867]
    I always want to kill myself when I'm at Forever 21.
    [/quote]

Aww, I like some of their shirts and stuff  :lol:  I knew someone would be in here rippin' on Forever 21 haha

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=24233.msg1541413#msg1541413 date=1266519194]
    Aww, I like some of their shirts and stuff  :lol:  I knew someone would be in here rippin' on Forever 21 haha
    [/quote]
    It's not their clothing, although the quality is shit. It's waiting for three hours for the fetus at the register to ring people up. Every other customer gets something wrong. I always leave before I get to the front. I've never actually bought anything there.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24233.msg1541553#msg1541553 date=1266526614]
    It's not their clothing, although the quality is shit. It's waiting for three hours for the fetus at the register to ring people up. Every other customer gets something wrong. I always leave before I get to the front. I've never actually bought anything there.
    [/quote]

I hear ya on the cash register thing.

Is that blood on the bottom of the bag?

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24233.msg1541553#msg1541553 date=1266526614]
    [/quote]

years ago when it was at the palisades center mall, it wasnt a big deal, so i could go in there and buy a cute shirt or whatever..
    then the store blew up or something and came to the garden state plaza, and i havent bought anything since bc tweens and the bottom 10% of high schools go there and orbit like its the damn sun.  plus the store isnt arranged in any way that makes any sense. 

[quote author=PunkerDuckie link=topic=24233.msg1540938#msg1540938 date=1266463119]
    [/quote]

There's some messed up psychology going on with these people who yell jump. They are mainly doing it to impress each other and so likely are young/teen/college age.

Because here's the thing. If this had happened out in at a Kansas silo or something, and one person was there, chances are that one person wouldn't yell jump at a jumper.  They would feel like a douchebag (as well they should) 

Anyway. My point is, yes, these people are a dredge of humanity. 
    But they will always be there.  Especially in a high tourist area like Union Square

RIP

[quote author=deathbecomesme link=topic=24233.msg1542853#msg1542853 date=1266691733]
    There's some messed up psychology going on with these people who yell jump. They are mainly doing it to impress each other and so likely are young/teen/college age.

Because here's the thing. If this had happened out in at a Kansas silo or something, and one person was there, chances are that one person wouldn't yell jump at a jumper.  They would feel like a douchebag (as well they should) 

Anyway. My point is, yes, these people are a dredge of humanity. 
    But they will always be there.  Especially in a high tourist area like Union Square

RIP

[/quote]
    It's a two-way street, though. That guy could have picked a much less public place to do it. He either wanted to be talked down or was hoping to leave as many images of his dead body with people as possible.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=24233.msg1542882#msg1542882 date=1266693455]
    It's a two-way street, though. That guy could have picked a much less public place to do it. He either wanted to be talked down or was hoping to leave as many images of his dead body with people as possible.
    [/quote]

Good point, totally agree. Very sad to think he might have wanted people to talk him out of it and he got them encouraging him to do it instead. 

The thing is, and I don't know how to say this without sounding like an unstable nutbag, but I can kinda understand jumping in public.  It can be like the ultimate fuck you to humanity.  Hate you all, I hope you are traumatized by my death forever and become as miserable as I am. That type of thing.

but if he indeed was a resident of the lofts above, why not jump from his window? he wasn't really on the ledge all that long. maybe 15-20 minutes? he made the leap before the hostage negotiator could get in which makes me think he didn't want to be talked out of it. it's not like he was up there for hours, causing a scene, shutting down streets, etc. that's what seems to happen here and the suicidal don't jump, just shut down the freeways for a couple of hours. did the coaxing of the crowd seal his fate? or did their presence made him stop and think about it for a few more moments? was he even in the mindset to even process the yells coming from the crowd below? he's gone, so we don't know.

a friend of mine's coworker took a dive off their office building at 7am the other day, just as people started to trickle into the office...they heard him land. there was no one there to taunt him or save him and he jumped.

i don't agree with suicide. i am too much off a coward to go through with it. regardless of if this man went across town to do it, or if he slit is wrists or blew his brains out in his apartment, there'd still be theissue of the mess he'd left behind. maybe it'd be more convenient for the tourists and locals in union square had he not done it there but he was obviously thinking about himself and his tragic life and not theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

[quote author=whackjob link=topic=24233.msg1542902#msg1542902 date=1266695053]

i don't agree with suicide. i am too much off a coward to go through with it. regardless of if this man went across town to do it, or if he slit is wrists or blew his brains out in his apartment, there'd still be theissue of the mess he'd left behind. maybe it'd be more convenient for the tourists and locals in union square had he not done it there but he was obviously thinking about himself and his tragic life and not theirs.

[/quote]

But death is always messy. If he had had a heart attack in his loft or died of cancer, someone still has to go up and clean up the ick left behind.

[quote author=deathbecomesme link=topic=24233.msg1543252#msg1543252 date=1266716735]
    But death is always messy. If he had had a heart attack in his loft or died of cancer, someone still has to go up and clean up the ick left behind.

[/quote]

That's what's nice about living in the country. Lots of wide open spaces where you can blow your brains out and nobody has to clean up the ick.

Im marking this, hoping to see an update about the man, who he was and his motives.
    so disturbing that there are pics before and after im assuming some will eventually turn up of the actual jump.
    i watched one of the girls who is an article on mds jump to her death
    its one of the worst things you can see and thats why i have no clue that some people can laugh and take it so lightly

[quote author=deathbecomesme link=topic=24233.msg1543252#msg1543252 date=1266716735]

[/quote]

when my mom died of cancer there wasn't any ick left behind 

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=24233.msg1544299#msg1544299 date=1266868060]
    when my mom died of cancer there wasn't any ick left behind 
    [/quote]

A lot of times when someone dies and all their muscles relax they will lose urine and stool.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24233.msg1544304#msg1544304 date=1266868210]
    A lot of times when someone dies and all their muscles relax they will lose urine and stool.
    [/quote]

yeah, I expected my mom would, but it didn't happen, so I just made the point it's not always messy. I think my mom pooped herself out in the 3 days she was just laying there, I hated those 3 days too.  It must be rare for it not to happen huh?

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=24233.msg1544310#msg1544310 date=1266868636]
    yeah, I expected my mom would, but it didn't happen, so I just made the point it's not always messy. I think my mom pooped herself out in the 3 days she was just laying there, I hated those 3 days too.  It must be rare for it not to happen huh?
    [/quote]

I'm not sure. I know when I worked in a nursing home they talked about it happening a lot.

Thread Information