Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Autistic child left alone starts fire, dies

Re: Autistic child left alone starts fire, dies

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=24232.msg1541080#msg1541080 date=1266474403]
    I would trust her yes.  I would trust her NOW and shes only 11. (Not that I would leave her at 11.)  Its not her, its me.  If I left her alone at 14, I would be calling every 30 minutes to make sure that everything is alright.  Eventually I will cut the cord, but not today.  :oops:
    [/quote]

My middle kid was driving herself (legally) back and forth to school at 14.

The Red Cross does babysitter training in both Arkansas and Washington for kids age 11 and up.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=24232.msg1541074#msg1541074 date=1266473941]

No link on it. A friend of mine had called DHS to ask them when her daughter turned 13 last month and that's the answer they gave her.
    [/quote]
    I totally posted this same answer and it didn't show. Weird.

Anyway, 12 is the age here. Call and ask, I can't find a link.

I also know 12 is the age you can legally leave your kids in the car in washington state while you run in. I didn't do this, but I was with someone who did leave their 13 year old in the car (looks like he is 8) and that was what a cop said when he found him 10 minutes in to us leaving him in the car to run in to albertsons.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=24232.msg1541084#msg1541084 date=1266474726]
    I totally posted this same answer and it didn't show. Weird.

Anyway, 12 is the age here. Call and ask, I can't find a link.

I also know 12 is the age you can legally leave your kids in the car in washington state while you run in. I didn't do this, but I was with someone who did leave their 13 year old in the car (looks like he is 8) and that was what a cop said when he found him 10 minutes in to us leaving him in the car to run in to albertsons.
    [/quote]

I don't believe you, na na na na na na.  :-P  :lol:

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24232.msg1541081#msg1541081 date=1266474655]
    My middle kid was driving herself (legally) back and forth to school at 14.

The Red Cross does babysitter training in both Arkansas and Washington for kids age 11 and up.
    [/quote]

Hahaha.  My daughter refuses to ever babysit. She cant STAND small children. She likes quiet.  She would much rather have her nose in a book or play Age of Empires than anything else. She earns her money by helping me do light cleaning at work after school.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24232.msg1541086#msg1541086 date=1266474893]
    I don't believe you, na na na na na na.  :-P  :lol:
    [/quote]

I HAVE SCREEN SHOTS!!! Give me an hour.

Minnesota has no law I just looked. It is weird because I called the county (fighting with her dad) and they told me at 8 they can stay home for an hour, and then after that is was just short periods before and after school. She said something about "latch key kids" or something like that.

I just looked at the website where it says there are no laws and it says 12 is what they say is best. But that is because that is how old daycares will take them. Em would burn down the house or order tons of movies on the TV so she cannot be trusted.

http://www.mnchildcare.org/families/qm_home_alone.php

This link gives you questions to see if your kid is ready.

ron_nyc: I don't like the black ones much.

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=24232.msg1541088#msg1541088 date=1266475384]

Hahaha.  My daughter refuses to ever babysit. She cant STAND small children. She likes quiet.  She would much rather have her nose in a book or play Age of Empires than anything else. She earns her money by helping me do light cleaning at work after school.
    [/quote] :lol:  I wasn't suggesting she babysit. I was just pointing out they train kids that age to babysit so it would seem odd that it would be illegal for them to stay home alone at that age.

Anyway, I've just watched this battle waged about 400 times on another board I used to post on and with the exception of a couple of states, nobody has ever come up with proof of any laws regarding the age a child can stay home alone and I've googled my fingers off and can't find anything either.

But my baby is 17 so it doesn't really matter to me anyway.  :lol:

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24232.msg1541093#msg1541093 date=1266475693]
    :lol:  I wasn't suggesting she babysit. I was just pointing out they train kids that age to babysit so it would seem odd that it would be illegal for them to stay home alone at that age.

Anyway, I've just watched this battle waged about 400 times on another board I used to post on and with the exception of a couple of states, nobody has ever come up with proof of any laws regarding the age a child can stay home alone and I've googled my fingers off and can't find anything either.

But my baby is 17 so it doesn't really matter to me anyway.  :lol:
    [/quote]

Yeah I just looked it up too and Arkansas has no set limit on age.  So DHS was like you said, pulling shit out of their ass.  Unless some new law went into effect that we don't know about. 

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=24232.msg1541098#msg1541098 date=1266475962]
    Yeah I just looked it up too and Arkansas has no set limit on age.  So DHS was like you said, pulling shit out of their ass.  Unless some new law went into effect that we don't know about. 
    [/quote]

I'm sure they have recommendations. And obviously some people need guidance on when they can leave a kid alone. Like the lady in this thread.  :roll:

There is a certain segment of special needs kids who are "fire starters". These are obviously the highest risk individuals to look after. The cellphone in the microwave should have been his caretaker's wake up call.

Matches or a lighter should not have been anywhere this kid could get to.

On a separate note, when kids light their homes on fire, I wonder how long it takes for them to go from "This should be fun to see what happens" to "Oh shit, I'm going to die."

I mean, if you have any experience with fire you know that it is hot and smoky and burns things. What do you honestly think is going to happen if you set a coat on fire in a closet? I know, I know, he was mentally retarded. But still....

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar

[quote author=partyguy link=topic=24232.msg1541170#msg1541170 date=1266497994]
    There is a certain segment of special needs kids who are "fire starters". These are obviously the highest risk individuals to look after. The cellphone in the microwave should have been his caretaker's wake up call.

Matches or a lighter should not have been anywhere this kid could get to.

On a separate note, when kids light their homes on fire, I wonder how long it takes for them to go from "This should be fun to see what happens" to "Oh shit, I'm going to die."

I mean, if you have any experience with fire you know that it is hot and smoky and burns things. What do you honestly think is going to happen if you set a coat on fire in a closet? I know, I know, he was mentally retarded. But still....
    [/quote]

http://www.autism-world.com/index.php/2007/09/21/the-difference-between-autism-and-mental-retardation/   
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=24232.msg1541173#msg1541173 date=1266499586]
    http://www.autism-world.com/index.php/2007/09/21/the-difference-between-autism-and-mental-retardation/   
    [/quote]

Exactly.  Autism does not equal mentally retarded.

Basically the same thing. Not functioning like in a normal capacity.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=24232.msg1541090#msg1541090 date=1266475556]
    [/quote]

:lol: don't forget to pay attention to the dates before you post.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=24232.msg1541090#msg1541090 date=1266475556]
    [/quote]

I didn't see this post until just now when InTheNight responded to it.  Your hour is UP! :lol:

[quote author=partyguy link=topic=24232.msg1541408#msg1541408 date=1266518778]
    [/quote]

No, it's no where near the same thing.  Are you stupid on purpose?  I mean, if you are then just say it and we might take what you say with a grain of salt.  If not, what the fuck?? 

I'd let it go. Not worth starting a semantic argument over whether autistic people are equivalent to mentally retarded people.

[quote author=partyguy link=topic=24232.msg1541451#msg1541451 date=1266521942]
    I'd let it go. Not worth starting a semantic argument over whether autistic people are equivalent to mentally retarded people.
    [/quote]

Tell the physicians who treat them to let it go. Tell the parents to let it go. Tell all of the social services type people who work with them to let it go.

You're a fucking idiot. I'd classify you as retarded.

[quote author=partyguy link=topic=24232.msg1541451#msg1541451 date=1266521942]
    [/quote]

It is worth it when you know someone that is autistic.  What isn't worth it is you!

[quote author=partyguy link=topic=24232.msg1541408#msg1541408 date=1266518778]
    [/quote]

I and a couple of others on here have Asperger's, which is a form of autism.  I dare you to call us retarded.

Does Asperger's make you set your closet on fire?

[quote author=partyguy link=topic=24232.msg1541465#msg1541465 date=1266522413]
    [/quote]

Does mental retardation? Fuck no. God you're stupid. Give it up.

[quote author=partyguy link=topic=24232.msg1541465#msg1541465 date=1266522413]
    [/quote]

It can with some Aspie children.  However, most people with Asperger's have above average intelligence.  You sir, are the dictionary definition of ignorant.

My older brother has asperger syndrome. So I really don't appreciate the rude ass comments about it. He is slower comapred to most people that have it but he is still able to live a somewhat normal life. I don't think that he would have been as bad off as he is if his mother and our father would have just accepted his disability earlier in life and given him more help. He is now almost 50 and was just tested a few years ago. I do find it sad that he has lived so many years without knowing why he was a little different from others. He is a really good person with a huge heart.

[quote author=InTheNightWonderer link=topic=24232.msg1541539#msg1541539 date=1266525648]
    My older brother has asperger syndrome. So I really don't appreciate the rude ass comments about it. He is slower compared to most people that have it but he is still able to live a somewhat normal life. I don't think that he would have been as bad off as he is if his mother and our father would have just accepted his disability earlier in life and given him more help. He is now almost 50 and was just tested a few years ago. I do find it sad that he has lived so many years without knowing why he was a little different from others. He is a really good person with a huge heart.
    [/quote]

typo fix

Thread Information