Thread: Men arrested for murdering "ghost" brides

Men arrested for murdering "ghost" brides

Chinese police have arrested three men for killing two young women to sell their corpses as "ghost brides" for dead single men, a Chinese newspaper reported, warning the dark custom might have claimed many other victims.

Yang Donghai, a 35-year-old farmer in western China's Shaanxi province, confessed to killing a woman bought from a poor family for 12,000 yuan ($1,545) last year.

She thought she was being sold into an arranged marriage, but Yang killed her in a gully and sold her corpse for 16,000 yuan, the Legal Daily reported Thursday. He and two accomplices then killed a prostitute and sold her for 8,000 yuan before police caught them.

"I did it for the money; it was a quick buck," Yang said, according to the paper. "If I hadn't slipped up early, I planned to do a few more."

The women were victims of an old belief, still alive in the yellow-earth highlands of western China, that young men who die unmarried should go to their graves accompanied by deceased women who will be their wives in the afterlife. Often these women die natural deaths.

Police in Yanan, the poor and dusty corner of Shaanxi where Chairman Mao Zedong nurtured his Communist revolution, said the dark trade went beyond these cases.

"The actual number is far from just these," the paper said.

Yang and two helpers sold the bodies to Li Longsheng, an undertaker who police said specialized in buying and selling the dead women for "ghost weddings." It was unclear what happened to Li.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070125/od_nm/china_murder_marriage_dc

Re: Men arrested for murdering "ghost" brides

WTF??
    How weird.

You find the craziest stories, DBD.
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=4266.msg160072#msg160072 date=1169743172]
    WTF??
    How weird.

You find the craziest stories, DBD.
    [/quote]

I know, they make my life seem normal by comparison  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

I was going to post this here too.  I saw it on Reuters Oddly Enough section.  I check that site daily.

I wonder if the Chinese have the stay a virgin till marriage thing....atleast now they're gettin some...well cept for the hooker..I would think who ever bought her would be pissed that someone put a hooker with their sons body.
    You remember me as Sheilamadrie......Add me as a friend on myspace so you can talk shit about me on my page when I die..

The things people do for money.

[quote author=Sheilamadrie link=topic=4266.msg160877#msg160877 date=1169763132]
    I wonder if the Chinese have the stay a virgin till marriage thing....atleast now they're gettin some...well cept for the hooker..I would think who ever bought her would be pissed that someone put a hooker with their sons body.
    [/quote]

No. I mean like most cultures there's the whole abstaining until marriage thing, but not many really go with it... in fact it's pretty much the same as in America... and there are condom vending machines on pretty much every other street. My friend who goes to Hong Kong every other weekend or so claims many of the average women are more promiscuous than in America.

Thread Information