Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Girl, 12, Taken Away in Handcuffs for Doodling on Her Desk

Re: Girl, 12, Taken Away in Handcuffs for Doodling on Her Desk

Eyelash, Have you ever looked into charter schools? They have lower teacher/student ratio. Also, they have tripod classes that go by what the kids know instead of what grade they're in.

Quote Originally Posted by angelicajustice View Post
    I wouldn't fuck her with Ron's dick.

[quote author=Its Me De link=topic=24092.msg1597608#msg1597608 date=1271392943]
    Eyelash, Have you ever looked into charter schools? They have lower teacher/student ratio. Also, they have tripod classes that go by what the kids know instead of what grade they're in.
    [/quote]

You know I'd never even heard of a charter school until my mom mentioned it to me the other day. She is putting my little sister in one because she refuses to go to school, or do her work, she's got a 40 average, and my mom is beyond fed up. My mom said that it costs quite a bit (although not as much as a boarding school, which was her other option for my sister), so I need to do a little research on it. I really just want to explore ALL my options, in case we do get to the point that he's tired of it, not advancing, etc. I'd really like to have something besides, "Oh well. We only have one option."
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

Charter schools are free here.&nbsp;

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=24092.msg1597610#msg1597610 date=1271393587]
    Charter schools are free here. &nbsp;
    [/quote]

Looks like they are part of the Dept. of Education here so I would think they are free.

This is from wiki

Charter schools are elementary or secondary schools in the United States that receive public money (and like other schools, may also receive private donations) but have been freed from some of the rules, regulations, and statutes that apply to other public schools in exchange for some type of accountability for producing certain results, which are set forth in each school's charter.[1] Charter schools are opened and attended by choice.[2] While charter schools provide an alternative to other public schools, they are part of the public education system and are not allowed to charge tuition.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar

Well, they can charge some fees. I'm not sure exactly how it works but some of them are not completely free. They're not that expensive. I'll ask at work tomorrow.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

[quote author=TheFavoriteDaughter link=topic=24092.msg1597616#msg1597616 date=1271394781]
    Well, they can charge some fees. I'm not sure exactly how it works but some of them are not completely free. They're not that expensive. I'll ask at work tomorrow.
    [/quote]

Public schools charge fees, too. But they don't appear to charge tuition which is where the big expense would come in.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=TheFavoriteDaughter link=topic=24092.msg1597616#msg1597616 date=1271394781]
    [/quote]

I had my son in a charter school on Camelback.

Also, the AIMS have been this week. &nbsp;

[/quote]

Yeah, do that, and let me know.

And uh, yeah, they are not free. Not the one my mom was talking about, anyways. I'll have to look it up and see if I can find how much it costs.
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24092.msg1597612#msg1597612 date=1271393891]
    Looks like they are part of the Dept. of Education here so I would think they are free.

This is from wiki

Charter schools are elementary or secondary schools in the United States that receive public money (and like other schools, may also receive private donations) but have been freed from some of the rules, regulations, and statutes that apply to other public schools in exchange for some type of accountability for producing certain results, which are set forth in each school's charter.[1] Charter schools are opened and attended by choice.[2] While charter schools provide an alternative to other public schools, they are part of the public education system and are not allowed to charge tuition.

[/quote]

My step sons go to a charter school.&nbsp; They do not charge a fee.&nbsp; They require the parents to donate 20 hours of volunteer time per year for each kid.&nbsp; There is many different ways to volunteer, like chaperoning a field trip, grading papers, etc.&nbsp; There is special work days on weekends and stuff that you can do from home.&nbsp; So everyone is able to find the time.

I hate their school though.&nbsp; It lacks so much because it is small.&nbsp; There is no library, they don't offer band, choir or drama, P.E. is rare(although I'm seeing some improvements with this), I don't feel they are getting the best education.&nbsp; It's not my decision though, because if it was, they would not be there.

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24092.msg1597626#msg1597626 date=1271397328]
    Yeah, do that, and let me know.

And uh, yeah, they are not free. Not the one my mom was talking about, anyways. I'll have to look it up and see if I can find how much it costs.
    [/quote]

leyash ~ are you sure it's not a private school your mom was talking about?&nbsp; They usually are quite expensive.

Are charter schools permitted to require students to buy uniforms to be worn to school and to school activities?
    Yes.

That's all I've found so far, lmao.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=2996#7

deliberate_misuse

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24092.msg1597632#msg1597632 date=1271397627]
    Are charter schools permitted to require students to buy uniforms to be worn to school and to school activities?
    Yes.

That's all I've found so far, lmao.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=2996#7
    [/quote]

Some do.

[quote author=QueenBeeYatch link=topic=24092.msg1597629#msg1597629 date=1271397578]

leyash ~ are you sure it's not a private school your mom was talking about?&nbsp; They usually are quite expensive.
    [/quote]

I'm positive. Charter Schools around here DO charge fees. My mom told me there were two she could choose from, and she went with the one that charged LESS. So, yeah, I know they are costing something.

My sister won't go to a private school, we've had that conversation numerous times. So yeah, I know it's not a private school.

I'm going to have to ask my mom for the specific name of the place she is wanting to get my sister into. I can't find anything specific on here. From the looks of it, though - the closest one is about 30 minutes away, gah.

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24092.msg1597634#msg1597634 date=1271397778]
    I'm positive. Charter Schools around here DO charge fees. My mom told me there were two she could choose from, and she went with the one that charged LESS. So, yeah, I know they are costing something.

My sister won't go to a private school, we've had that conversation numerous times. So yeah, I know it's not a private school.
    [/quote]

How old is your sister?

My parents forced me to attend the same private Catholic school from 1st-8th grade, and although I HATED it, I never had any say in the matter. Parents decide these things, not kids. I do have to admit, I got an excellent education there. Most of the kids were assholes though.
    born to be down

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24092.msg1597634#msg1597634 date=1271397778]

[/quote]

That sux. They might have scholarships or fee waivers you could be eligible for. &nbsp;Might be worth looking into.

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=24092.msg1597633#msg1597633 date=1271397687]
    Some do.
    [/quote]

The one my step sons go to has a relaxed dress code.&nbsp; They have several colors they can wear, it's more that they don't have any logos or writing on them and they styles, shirts with collars, polo shirts, no jeans, etc.&nbsp; It is actually nice when they have a dress code in some ways.&nbsp; I found a bunch of white polos on sale at Kohl's last year.&nbsp; They were like $3.50 each.&nbsp; I bought a bunch and held on to them.&nbsp; Gave them half at the beginning of the year and just gave them each 3 more for the second half of the school year.&nbsp; (They are not even with us during the week when they go to school.)&nbsp; But yeah, it was a great deal and I could buy a bunch of the same color.&nbsp; The dress code is actually one of the things I LIKE about it.

[quote author=Solara23 link=topic=24092.msg1597644#msg1597644 date=1271400216]
    How old is your sister?

My parents forced me to attend the same private Catholic school from 1st-8th grade, and although I HATED it, I never had any say in the matter. Parents decide these things, not kids. I do have to admit, I got an excellent education there. Most of the kids were assholes though.
    [/quote]

My mom is not going to spend a shit load of money on private school for my sister not to go, lmao.

She said, &quot;I'm not going to a private school.&quot; My mom would be an idiot to pay all that money just to have it be thrown away, in my opinion.

If she was MY kid, she wouldn't have her computer, TV, bed, etc. She'd be sitting on the carpeted floor, and she MIGHT be lucky to get a blanket and pillow. My little sister is a fucking BRAT hardcore. (She's my step-sister by the way... my mom's husband's daughter).

She's lucky her face isn't permanently red... I'd be slapping the shit out of her constantly.&nbsp;

My cousins were home-schooled.&nbsp; They both thought that girls had penises, until they were like 16 (Which created much Lulz for me and my friends listening to them say things like this),&nbsp; But one of them is 17 now and runs his own 2 year old home business making a couple thousand dollars a month. (More then his parents make....).

&nbsp; They were also almost kidnapped by an old homeless witch that lived in a bush in their backyard, when they were pre-teens.

:lol:&nbsp; I am not sure what this adds to the argument, Probably nothing.

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24092.msg1597648#msg1597648 date=1271401686]
    My mom is not going to spend a shit load of money on private school for my sister not to go, lmao.

She said, &quot;I'm not going to a private school.&quot; My mom would be an idiot to pay all that money just to have it be thrown away, in my opinion.

If she was MY kid, she wouldn't have her computer, TV, bed, etc. She'd be sitting on the carpeted floor, and she MIGHT be lucky to get a blanket and pillow. My little sister is a fucking BRAT hardcore. (She's my step-sister by the way... my mom's husband's daughter).

She's lucky her face isn't permanently red... I'd be slapping the shit out of her constantly.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Oh yeah, I know it's expensive, I wasn't really suggesting she enroll her in a private school.&nbsp; Just adding my 2 cents.. my parents said where I was going, and that was it. End of discussion. I had some input for high school. That's really sad that she gets away with so much and your mom can't control her. How old is she?
    born to be down

My kids go to a public school that I am required to buy uniforms for.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar

Ok, I misunderstood the conversation I heard the other day. Charter schools do not charge any fees besides the basic activity fees that public schools charge. Most of them do require uniforms like someone else said.

I think it's pretty awesome that parents are required to do volunteer hours.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

deliberate_misuse

This is a good place for me to brag about my friend's son and former neighbor, Philip Streich, who was homeschooled because he was too smart for regular school. &nbsp;He won the Intel Young Scientist award a few years ago and was on the National Physics Team. &nbsp;His mother won the Presidential Teacher's award -- the first time a homeschool teacher was ever awarded that honor. &nbsp;In addition to being incredibly bright, Philip is a nice kid. &nbsp;He is now at Harvard where he was allowed to create his own curriculum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Vidal_Streich

An old bio of his:

Philip Vidal Streich, 18, of Platteville, entered the Intel Science Talent Search with a chemistry project that disproved current assumptions that carbon nanotubes are virtually insoluble. His work may lead to the development of revolutionary ultra-strong materials and ultra-fast nano-electronics. Philip systematically tuned solvent surface tension and maximized the thermodynamic solubility of not only carbon nanotubes, but also graphene (a single-atom-thick sheet of carbon) and cellulose nanocrystals thought to be the next important generation of electronic material. He also identified a new method for determining maximal strength of polymer composites. Philip's work has resulted in five provisional patent filings and the formation of a start-up graphene company of which he is co-founder and co-owner. The son of Joel and Amanda Streich, Philip works on the family farm and tackled high electric bills by designing a windmill connected to a geothermal heat source to create a low-cost hydrogen storage and heating system. Philip has perfect SATs, is home schooled and hopes to attend Harvard before pursuing a career in research and, perhaps, politics.&nbsp;

[quote author=Solara23 link=topic=24092.msg1597656#msg1597656 date=1271405924]

Oh yeah, I know it's expensive, I wasn't really suggesting she enroll her in a private school.&nbsp; Just adding my 2 cents.. my parents said where I was going, and that was it. End of discussion. I had some input for high school. That's really sad that she gets away with so much and your mom can't control her. How old is she?
    [/quote]

She'll be 17 in September. She's been this way since she was about 11. She knows that my mom isn't &quot;her real mother&quot; so she doesn't have to listen to her. BUT, the other part of the problem, is that my step-dad needs to grow some balls.

She skips school, smokes, stays on her phone until 4am when she has to get up for school the next day, and pretty much does whatever she wants. When I was 13, 14, and 15 years old, if I would have done some of the shit she is doing, I would have had NO computer, NO cell phone, NO privileges WHATSOEVER. And here he is, giving her whatever she wants... it just doesn't make any sense to me. She calls my mom and step-dad names... it's just fucking ridiculous. My mom is so sick of it, she said ON her 18th birthday, she's taking all of her shit out to the end of their driveway (about 1/4 mile), and leaving it there. She can either go out there with it and find somewhere else to live, or someone will take it all, and she'll start from nothing, but either way she's getting the fuck out. -shrug-

Man... I can't blame her. She's a fucking c.unt, dude. Seriously.

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=24092.msg1597765#msg1597765 date=1271431925]
    This is a good place for me to brag about my friend's son and former neighbor, Philip Streich, who was homeschooled because he was too smart for regular school.&nbsp; He won the Intel Young Scientist award a few years ago and was on the National Physics Team.&nbsp; His mother won the Presidential Teacher's award -- the first time a homeschool teacher was ever awarded that honor.&nbsp; In addition to being incredibly bright, Philip is a nice kid.&nbsp; He is now at Harvard where he was allowed to create his own curriculum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Vidal_Streich
    [/quote]

Wow, his mom must have felt AMAZING! And good for him! In my opinion, it takes a lot more patience to sit down and home-school. It's a lot different than sitting down doing homework for a little while. And I can only say that because I have done both. And it's also time consuming to get all of the curriculum together. I get together 6-8 worksheets every day, and print of short stories every week, and also research never stops. I'm always looking for new and creative ways to work on a science project, or to make things a little more fun, etc. So, good for him and his mom! That's amazing.

deliberate_misuse

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24092.msg1597782#msg1597782 date=1271432923]
    Wow, his mom must have felt AMAZING! And good for him! In my opinion, it takes a lot more patience to sit down and home-school. It's a lot different than sitting down doing homework for a little while. And I can only say that because I have done both. And it's also time consuming to get all of the curriculum together. I get together 6-8 worksheets every day, and print of short stories every week, and also research never stops. I'm always looking for new and creative ways to work on a science project, or to make things a little more fun, etc. So, good for him and his mom! That's amazing.
    [/quote]

I don't think his parents actually sat down and taught him anything.&nbsp; They allowed him to choose what he wanted to learn and enrolled him in schools where he could learn what he wanted, whether right in town or thousands of miles away.

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=24092.msg1597787#msg1597787 date=1271433170]
    I don't think his parents actually sat down and taught him anything.&nbsp; They allowed him to choose what he wanted to learn and enrolled him in schools where he could learn what he wanted, whether right in town or thousands of miles away.
    [/quote]

Oh, it said &quot;who was home-schooled because he was too smart for regular school.&quot; Sorry, I just assumed he was actually homeschooled. But either way, that's crazy! Did they move around with him, or just send him to the schools by himself?

Thread Information