Thread: Mummified baby found in storage unit

Mummified baby found in storage unit

DELRAY BEACH, Florida (CNN) -- The partially mummified body of a baby, wrapped in 1950s newspapers, was found Monday by a woman going through her deceased parents' belongings in a southeast Florida storage facility, according to police.

"It was a baby boy, partially mummified," said Delray Beach police spokesman Jeff Messer. "The woman was pretty upset when she found it. You could make out the features pretty clearly." The child had hair, he said.

The body was in a small suitcase, which was placed inside a larger suitcase, said Messer, who viewed the remains.

"It was spooky," Messer said.

The baby was wrapped in a newspaper called The Daily Times, dated January 9, 1957, police said. Authorities are not sure where it was published, but were checking the New York and New Jersey area because the couple lived there before retiring in Florida.

The body was "very well preserved. In my experience, I have not seen remains in that condition after such a long time," said Police Lt. Mark Woods.

The Palm Beach medical examiner's office was bringing in a forensic anthropologist to determine the baby's age and cause of death. The medical examiner previously declined comment.

The storage bay had been rented since 1996, Messer said. The woman's father died in 2002 or 2003, and his wife died last year, he said. The couple lived in Delray Beach at one point. Woods said their belongings were stored in the warehouse after they moved to Florida in the middle to late 1980s.

The daughter was notified by the warehouse owner that rent on the storage bay was overdue and the contents would be sold at auction if the account was not brought up to date, police said. She flew from New Jersey to examine the contents of the storage bay and made the gruesome discovery.

Police said the woman did not disturb the remains or remove the newspapers they were wrapped in.

The daughter, who told police she did not know of any stillbirths or abortions in the family, gave them permission to search the storage area without a warrant, Messer said. It was described as being about the size of a one-car garage and was filled with furniture and housewares.

Police are treating the warehouse as a crime scene.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/23/mummified.baby/index.html

Re: Mummified baby found in storage unit

How weird.....
    You remember me as Sheilamadrie......Add me as a friend on myspace so you can talk shit about me on my page when I die..

What a creepy secret to find out about your parents

please include the original link to the article in your post, otherwise your post here will be deleted.

Wow...so strange.  I wonder if it was her baby bro?

that is so crazy. How do remains not smell? I mean, at this point they wouldnt, but I mean right after it happened. ugh. I bet the baby was stillborn though.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

..how the baby was hidden inside of two suitcases...I bet they bought the baby at a yard sale and never looked inside of the suitcases.....I mean I find dead bugs in stuff I buy at yard sales when I finaly go to use what ever it was I bought.....
    You remember me as Sheilamadrie......Add me as a friend on myspace so you can talk shit about me on my page when I die..

Wow, interesting story. I look forward to finding out details as they unfold. I would be curious to find out if the woman who found the baby's mom and pop had anything to do with it...
    Boring game.

[quote author=Sheilamadrie link=topic=4232.msg158319#msg158319 date=1169651724]
    ..how the baby was hidden inside of two suitcases...I bet they bought the baby at a yard sale and never looked inside of the suitcases.....I mean I find dead bugs in stuff I buy at yard sales when I finaly go to use what ever it was I bought.....
    [/quote]ha! could you imagine buying something at a yard sale and finding a dead body in it? whoa. That would take some serious balls.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Amy's taste > Tara's

[quote author=Karalicious link=topic=4232.msg158700#msg158700 date=1169663718]
    ha! could you imagine buying something at a yard sale and finding a dead body in it? whoa. That would take some serious balls.
    [/quote]

Lol the nice thing is there's no reciept to prove you purchased it...so the people who sold it could go "I didn't have that at my yardsale...they must of seen I was having one and tried to pin it on me..." hehe Guess that would be a good way to get rid of a body...hehe

ooooh good idea  :lol:

Amy's taste > Tara's

[quote author=Sheilamadrie link=topic=4232.msg158865#msg158865 date=1169668476]
    Lol the nice thing is there's no reciept to prove you purchased it...so the people who sold it could go "I didn't have that at my yardsale...they must of seen I was having one and tried to pin it on me..." hehe Guess that would be a good way to get rid of a body...hehe
    [/quote]
    i like the way you think!

If I ever decide to kill someone I think I will try that one.....

interesting story. Keep us updated on this one.

Something similar happened last month near me.

Remains of Three Fetuses Discovered in Dead Woman's Freezer

Friday, December 08, 2006

COLUMBIA, Tenn. —Â* The remains of what were tentatively identified as three human fetuses or infants were discovered in the freezer of a woman who was found dead in her home last month. A family member who was clearing out the apartment discovered the bodies bagged in a freezer Thursday, Detective Lt. Michelle Jones said. The age and cause of death will be determined in an autopsy expected to be done Saturday by state Medical Examiner Dr. Bruce Levy.

"The cold conditions do certain things to the flesh. It's kind of hard to comment on the age now," Jones said. "These were not like 9-pound babies. They were smaller in nature." Jones said 35-year-old Tracy Howard lived alone in the apartment. Her body was found there Nov. 28 after co-workers became concerned when she didn't show up for work. An initial autopsy showed she died of natural causes, but toxicology reports are pending. "There was no indication from the scene that pointed to investigators that it might be suicide," Jones said. "It appeared natural, even though she was 35."

DNA tests also will be done to determine whether Howard was the mother. The initial autopsy did not indicate she was pregnant, and so far, no one has said she was. "Ms. Howard was a rather large female, and it probably would not have been as prominent with her as it would have been with a small woman," Jones said.

Detectives planned to interview some of Howard's friends Friday.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,235484,00.html
    <br />The best thing happened. A guy was butchering Conway Twitty at Karaoke and the power went off in the bar. Someone shouted you pissed Jesus off when you messed with Conway!

Thread Information