Thread: Man lights himself on fire, Cop accidently pepper sprays him.

Man lights himself on fire, Cop accidently pepper sprays him.

PORTLAND – A Portland police officer was taking time off after a "traumatic incident" where a man on fire was accidentally pepper sprayed while officers and bystanders were trying to douse the flames, the chief said Thursday.

Investigators said 26-year-old Daniel Schaull doused himself with gasoline and set himself on fire at the intersection of SW 12th Ave. and Yamhill Wednesday morning, according to police. He was taken to the hospital and died Wednesday evening.

Chief Rosie Sizer said while trying to put out the flames the first officer on the scene accidentally grabbed a pepper gas canister from the patrol vehicle, rather than a fire extinguisher. Fire investigators said the pepper gas in no way fanned the flames and did nothing to worsen the situation, since it was water-based. Both canisters are red in color and similar in size.

Sizer said the man was also intentionally avoiding the extinguishers.

Witnesses told KGW that they'd heard someone screaming for help and a man engulfed in flames, running down the street. A Portland officer had just pulled up at the intersection when she noticed the flames and smoke and ran to help. Bystanders and another officer also helped put out the fire.

Firefighters arrived just after 11 a.m. to find Schaull significantly burned.

The man's father, Warren Shaull, told KGW affiliate KSN in Kansas that his son came to Portland for a “rescue team.” He had been in and out of a mental facility.

“He was a kind gentle hearted guy searching for truth and peace,” Shaull said.

Warren Shauull said he did not "blame police at all, they were just trying to do their job and nobody's perfect. (The officer) was trying to do what was right."

Portland's police and fire bureaus jointly investigated. Police Bureau Lt. Damon Simmons would not comment on the cause of death and said medical examiners would be conducting an autopsy.

Simmons added that police were continuing their investigation.

Sizer said the officer felt "terrible" about the incident and was taken a few days off.
    http://www.kgw.com/news/Man-sets-himself-on-fire-in-downtown-Portland-82824007.html

Maybe they shouldn't store the fire extinguisher near the pepper spray canister if they look so much alike? Just an idea.

Re: Man lights himself on fire, Cop accidently pepper sprays him.

So is that a really small fire extinguisher or really large pepper spray canister? I didn't realize they were similar in size.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24021.msg1521826#msg1521826 date=1264779616]
    So is that a really small fire extinguisher or really large pepper spray canister? I didn't realize they were similar in size.
    [/quote]

No joke, what the hell? It reminds me of those parody movies where a guy is on fire and someone sprays him with gas to get the fire out or something, jesus. Poor dude.

This person was obviously mentally unbalanced and was pretty determined to end himself. And since it was an honest mistake ( and water based to boot) I hope the officer does not blame himself too harshly. Poor guy. Both of them.

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=24021.msg1522546#msg1522546 date=1264842449]
    This person was obviously mentally unbalanced and was pretty determined to end himself. And since it was an honest mistake ( and water based to boot) I hope the officer does not blame himself too harshly. Poor guy. Both of them.
    [/quote]

I've given some thought to this suicide by fire thing. Sometimes when I think of shooting myself I'm mad because I can only do it once and I think that's not enough. I wonder if that's what these suicides are about, wanting to really punish themselves? It's just so horrible I can't imagine any other reason to do that to yourself.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24021.msg1522733#msg1522733 date=1264876615]
    I've given some thought to this suicide by fire thing. Sometimes when I think of shooting myself I'm mad because I can only do it once and I think that's not enough. I wonder if that's what these suicides are about, wanting to really punish themselves? It's just so horrible I can't imagine any other reason to do that to yourself.
    [/quote]

Kinda like a self mutilation thing to the utmost extreme.

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=24021.msg1522738#msg1522738 date=1264876835]
    Kinda like a self mutilation thing to the utmost extreme.
    [/quote]

Yeah. It's like you want to kill yourself so much that one measly bullet just isn't gonna get it. Setting yourself on fire would probably relieve that feeling. I've never had the urge to set myself on fire, though. Gah.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24021.msg1522742#msg1522742 date=1264876949]
    Yeah. It's like you want to kill yourself so much that one measly bullet just isn't gonna get it. Setting yourself on fire would probably relieve that feeling. I've never had the urge to set myself on fire, though. Gah.
    [/quote]

I've had the urge to throw myself in front of a car once, and shoot myself once, that's enough for me. Scary thoughts.

Thread Information