Thread: Ken Rex McElroy "The Town Bully" from Skidmore, Missouri.

Ken Rex McElroy "The Town Bully" from Skidmore, Missouri.

This guy was super creepy. Almost as creepy as the town that he came from. Skidmore, MO. used to have about 450 people at one point, but with the crime a lot of residents left.

Ken Rex McElroy (June 1, 1934 – July 10, 1981), known as "The Town Bully", was a thief from Skidmore, Missouri. Over the course of his life he was charged with dozens of felonies ranging from rape to arson to burglary, but managed to avoid prosecution by intimidating witnesses, victims, the police force with threats of death to individuals' family members. After two decades of terrorizing the town of Skidmore, McElroy was shot to death in broad daylight by at least two individuals in front of a crowd of 46 people. Every witness other than his wife refused to identify the assailants, and as a result no one was ever charged with McElroy's death. As of 2009, his killing remains unsolved.

Town bully

McElroy owned a farm outside of Skidmore, Missouri. He was accused of rustling livestock, stealing grain and farm chemicals, and farmhouse burglary, primarily for salable antique items. He worked the four state region of Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, making it difficult for authorities to connect his crimes. McElroy escaped conviction for any of the crimes, despite 22 indictments, often by intimidating witnesses. In a town of less than 450, McElroy would park outside an accuser's house and just sit there until the occupants took notice and became frightened. His Kansas City attorney Richard "Gene" McFadin was called in repeatedly to handle the legal matters.

McElroy was a dog breeder and trainer, and his coonhounds won many prizes and sold for good prices. For many years, he was a well-known figure in hunting circles in his home area, and many people who only knew him through hunting could hardly credit the stories about him.
    [edit] 1981 murder

In 1980, one of McElroy's children got into an argument with Bo Bowenkamp, the 70 year old owner of the local grocery store, over allegedly stealing some candy. McElroy, displeased with the incident, began stalking the Bowenkamp family, and eventually confronted him in the store with a shotgun. In the ensuing altercation, McElroy shot Bowenkamp in the neck; Bowenkamp survived, and McElroy was arrested and charged with attempted murder. McElroy was convicted at trial of assault, but freed on bail pending his appeal. On the morning of July 10, 1981, after his appeal hearing was again delayed, townspeople met at the Legion Hall in the center of town with Nodaway County Sheriff Dan Estes to discuss how to protect themselves. Immediately after being released, McElroy had gone to the local tavern with a military style rifle, complete with bayonet. He loaded the rifle, and told everyone how he was going to finish the job by shooting Bowenkamp, then running him through with the bayonet. This led to several patrons deciding to see what they could legally do to prevent McElroy from harming anyone else. Estes suggested they form a Neighborhood Watch.

During the meeting, McElroy showed at the tavern with his wife, unarmed. As he sat drinking at the bar, word got back to the men at the Legion Hall that he was in town. Sheriff Estes left the meeting after telling them not to get in a direct confrontation with McElroy. They decided to go down to the tavern en masse. The bar soon filled completely. After he finished, he purchased a six pack of beer, left the bar, and got into his pickup truck. As he attempted to light a cigarette, McElroy was shot at several times and hit twice, once by a high powered rifle, and once by a .22 rimfire rifle. In all, there were 46 potential witnesses to the shooting, including Trena McElroy, who was in the truck with him when he was shot. Only Trena McElroy identified a gunman; every other witness either refused to name an assailant or claimed not to have seen who fired the fatal shots. Due to no one corroborating Trena's story, the district attorney refused to file charges.

A federal investigation was also unable to bring the killer to trial.
    [edit] Aftermath of shooting incident

In 1984 Richard McFadin filed a $5 million wrongful death civil lawsuit on behalf of Trena McElroy against Sheriff Estes, the Skidmore mayor and Del Clement (who had been accused by Trena as the killer). The lawsuit was dropped, however an out of court settlement was reached. The defendants settled out of court for $17,600, with the county paying $12,600, Skidmore $2,000 and Clement $3,000. No one admitted guilt. They said the settlement was made to avoid costly legal fees should the suit go forward.

In the fall of 1982 the farmhouse on Valley Road where Ken McElroy lived burned down.

Trena remarried and moved away from Skidmore. Other McElroy children still live in the area.

60 Minutes did a profile on the case.
    [edit] Movies

A made-for-tv movie was made in 1991 starring Brian Dennehy, Marcia Gay Harden and Chris Cooper. Though the title remained the same, the bully was given the fictitious name of Len Rowan. A police officer tells the perpetrators that "there is no room in this country for vigilante justice."

Another film dealing with the killing takes the opposite view: Connecticut filmmaker Ralph Server's Without Mercy, which won the Grand Jury Prize for Best Picture at the New York International Independent Film & Video Festival in 2004. The film suggests that government will at times go to extremes not to punish lawbreakers and allow them to commit terrorist acts, as was the case with McElroy. But the townspeople owned guns and they used them to make the point that when government fails the people must take matters into their own hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

At Last, a Trial

As usual, attorney McFadin used every legal maneuver to delay the trial. He got a change of venue to Bethany, Mo., 75 miles east of Skidmore. But the delays finally came to an end, and on June 25, 1981, the trial began.

David Baird, a young prosecutor three years out of law school, presented a competent case. The issue could not have been simpler. Bo Bowenkamp said McElroy assaulted him with the shotgun. McElroy said he fired in self-defense when Bowenkamp threatened him with a knife. The victim was the primary prosecution witness, the accused the main defense witness.

As in the Romaine Henry trial, McElroy dredged someone from his coon-hunting circle who testified that she happened to pass along Main Street in Skidmore at the very moment of the shooting. She said she saw Bowenkamp lunge at McElroy. She could not explain why it took her nine months to come forward with this information.

After closing statements from the lawyers, the jury quickly voted to convict McElroy of assault. They had several options, both for the specific charge and the sentence—up to life in prison. But under Missouri law of that era, the jurors were given no information about McElroy's pattern of behavior since he had a clean rap sheet despite nearly two dozen failed criminal charges. Jurors voted for second-degree assault. Some lobbied for a four-year sentence. Others favored two years. They settled on two.

After the conviction was announced, the judge continued McElroy's bail and ordered him released, pending a routine 25-day appeal window. Once again, McElroy was back on the loose in Skidmore.

Bethany is the first place I ever spent the night in jail. 
    The above is an excerpt from the 28 chapter book on TruTv http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n...roy/index.html
    This crime is NOT discussed in Bethany and the book is pretty much censored out of the county.

If this place sounds familiar to you, the other two major crimes in this small town are:
    Branson Perry, missing since April 11, 2001. Certainly an interesting read.
    http://findbransonperry.com/
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...y_branson.html

And the much publicized Bobbie Jo Stinett, whose baby was cut from her womb in Dec. 2004
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbie_Jo_Stinnett

Re: Ken Rex McElroy "The Town Bully" from Skidmore, Missouri.

This was quite possibly the creepiest town I have even been in.

Here is another picture and link

http://www.rusoffagency.com/authors/...d_daylight.htm

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California

Can I say this one deserved it?  :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

[quote author=PunkerDuckie link=topic=23750.msg1496018#msg1496018 date=1262659913]
    Can I say this one deserved it?  :lol:
    [/quote]Fuck yeah he deserved it. He was released from jail on a murder charge and gunned down right after. Vigilante justice. I just can't believe I was in that jail.  and 

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=23750.msg1496047#msg1496047 date=1262662389]
    Fuck yeah he deserved it. He was released from jail on a murder charge and gunned down right after. Vigilante justice. I just can't believe I was in that jail.  and 
    [/quote]

Just be happy the timing was different. He could have been your cellmate.  :-o

[quote author=PunkerDuckie link=topic=23750.msg1496051#msg1496051 date=1262662998]
    Just be happy the timing was different. He could have been your cellmate.  :-o
    [/quote]Yeah, that was my first (not last) time in jail. It was less than 2 years ago for me. My sister-in-law has a brother who did time there. They let him go home for Thanksgiving dinner.  Small towns, sheesh. Jail in Detroit is way different...plus Detroit doesn't have a place to tie your horse at walmart. Wait, Detroit doesn't have walmart or any chain stores in the city limit.  :lol:

Southern Undertaker Key West Digger's Avatar

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=23750.msg1496076#msg1496076 date=1262668251]
    Yeah, that was my first (not last) time in jail. It was less than 2 years ago for me. My sister-in-law has a brother who did time there. They let him go home for Thanksgiving dinner.  Small towns, sheesh. Jail in Detroit is way different...plus Detroit doesn't have a place to tie your horse at walmart. Wait, Detroit doesn't have walmart or any chain stores in the city limit.  :lol:
    [/quote]Interesting about the chain stores. A news article I remember around Thanksgiving that grocery store owners had to pay for security when they had food deliveries. Certainly not attractive for commerce.

[quote author=Key West Digger link=topic=23750.msg1496081#msg1496081 date=1262669789]
    Interesting about the chain stores. A news article I remember around Thanksgiving that grocery store owners had to pay for security when they had food deliveries. Certainly not attractive for commerce.
    [/quote]omg, I was just looking at the price of houses in my old neighborhood. Holy shiz!!!! Monthly payments are anywhere from FOUR CENTS to THIRTY-EIGHT DOLLARS A MONTH!! GAH!
    13537 Braile St, Detroit, MI (Brightmoor)

*  House For Sale: $1,200

* Monthly Payment: $5

* Beds: 2
          Baths: 1.0
        * Sqft: 723
          Lot: --
        * Days on Zillow: 17
          Built: 1925
        * 2008 Property tax: $1,428
    This house in my old neighborhood is kinda expensive for the area. $52 a month 

http://www.zillow.com/homes/Brightmoor,-mi_rb/ 

Southern Undertaker Key West Digger's Avatar

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=23750.msg1496084#msg1496084 date=1262670394]
    omg, I was just looking at the price of houses in my old neighborhood. Holy shiz!!!! Monthly payments are anywhere from FOUR CENTS to THIRTY-EIGHT DOLLARS A MONTH!! GAH!
    13537 Braile St, Detroit, MI (Brightmoor)

*   House For Sale: $1,200

* Monthly Payment: $5

* Beds: 2
          Baths: 1.0
        * Sqft: 723
          Lot: --
        * Days on Zillow: 17
          Built: 1925
        * 2008 Property tax: $1,428
    This house in my old neighborhood is kinda expensive for the area. $52 a month 

http://www.zillow.com/homes/Brightmoor,-mi_rb/ 
    [/quote]I would imagine the houses are so run down and in need of a lot of work. Developer's dream. Look at New Orleans after Katrina. Became a cash cow.

[quote author=Key West Digger link=topic=23750.msg1496086#msg1496086 date=1262670809]
    I would imagine the houses are so run down and in need of a lot of work. Developer's dream. Look at New Orleans after Katrina. Became a cash cow.
    [/quote]Exactly. omg, I could buy a bunch of houses and become a slumlord.  I am just speechless right now, really. The taxes are more than the houses.

jesus the property taxes on these places are less than i'm paying for rent!!!

[quote author=PunkerDuckie link=topic=23750.msg1496094#msg1496094 date=1262671411]
    jesus the property taxes on these places are less than i'm paying for rent!!!
    [/quote]There was one house that was four cents a month! I left the D at the wrong time!  :lol:

I read in a book about Bobbie Jo that her and Branson are actually related somehow. 
    <br />Ask Me Some Bullshit http://www.formspring.me/EightiesBaby

[quote author=ladyvtec link=topic=23750.msg1503828#msg1503828 date=1263263765]
    I read in a book about Bobbie Jo that her and Branson are actually related somehow.&nbsp;
    [/quote]I wouldn't be surprised. It's a damn small town. After all of the crime there the population went from something like 450 to 300 or so.
    Hell, McElroy was working on populating the town on his own.

Here is a clip from the time of death.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    His wife, Trina, is obviously a little twat. And Ole Kenny is just a tiny dicked loser fuckwad.

He earned the right to be gunned down like a little bitch.

See, the world doesn't mourn you when you're a loser asshole. And that's the way it should be.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Thread Information