Thread: Police still hunting the serial killer, named the 'Grim sleeper' after 25 years

Police still hunting the serial killer, named the 'Grim sleeper' after 25 years

My OH said he looks like Usain Bolt...no wonder they can't catch him

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2759629/Grim-Sleeper-serial-killer-chalks-up-11-victims.html

UNDER the shining stars of glamorous Los Angeles a dangerous monster lurks.
    For 25 years a serial killer known as the Grim Sleeper has been striking terror into the glitzy Californian city by murdering at least 11 victims - but police believe his real death toll could be more than DOUBLE that figure.

This week, using evidence from a sole survivor of a 1988 attack, the LAPD released a sketch of the killer as they stepped up their search, fearing he is preparing to strike again.

They also showed pictures linked to the murders, including a blue and white Dodge van connected with Barbara Ware's killing.

His nickname comes from the length of time he leaves between each murder - he once left a 13-year gap. His last known killing was on January 1, 2007.

Cops believe he could even be a family man, hiding behind a life of normality with his wife and kids between crimes.

In 2007 LAPD Detective Dennis Kilcoyne set up the 800 Task Force to focus solely on finding the shadowy figure.

The detective says: "It could be anybody. It has gone on so long we have to be open to any possibility. We are at number 11 and I would venture to say that this is probably half of what he has done."

The Grim Sleeper was described by the survivor of the 1988 attack as 5ft 8in and a "thin, neat, polite and well-groomed African-American guy".

Yet his crimes are brutal. Targeting prostitutes and troubled drug addicts, his victims have all been black females, with the exception of one man.

In the first three years of his killing spree he shot three women in the same poor neighbourhood.

Then, after shooting and raping Enietra Margette who he then let live in 1988, the Grim Sleeper went to ground for 13 years before returning to strike again in 2002.

By this time DNA evidence was a hot crime-solving tool and hair and skin found at the scenes of the new killing were the same as those found at the murders more than a decade previously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on the slideshow below to see his victims...

Cliff Shepard, a detective for the 800 Task Force, speaks for the whole of LA when he explains his first reaction to the killer's return earlier this decade.

He says: "I thought, 'Holy s***. This guy is still out there working'. I was not expecting that."

Despite a series of arrests and leads that have taken cops all over the country, the hunt goes on.

The Grim Sleeper leaves no fingerprints and although he left saliva on the breasts of a couple of victims, it did not match anyone in the police database.

Shepard adds: "You would think that somebody involved in those activities would have been arrested and had a DNA sample taken. But that's not the case. Somehow he has slipped through the cracks. I have to think the worst, that he's going to continue. It's been going on for 24 years at least."

According to Enietra Margette, who escaped, the suspect does take souvenirs from his victims. After accepting a ride from him she was shot in the chest. She blacked out but came to when the flash of a Polaroid camera went off.

After sexually assaulting her while she was unconscious he had taken her picture.

Remarkably she managed to talk him into letting her go, but not before he beat her with his gun.

Police believe he could be seeking revenge on promiscuous women.

One 1988 victim, Lachrica Jefferson, 22, was found in an alley with a napkin on her head with the word "Aids" written on it. His most recent victim, Janecia Peters, 25, was shot in the back and shoved in a black bin bag. Although a gun is normally his weapon of choice, his youngest victim, Princess Berthomieux, 14 - killed after going missing on December 21, 2001 - was strangled and beaten.

Det Kilcoyne says: "There could be 100 different reasons why the Grim Sleeper took a 13-year break.

"It could be we aren't connecting the cases. I am sure we don't have a lab report for everything he has done.

Secret
    "There could be other cases that he has done that could drastically eliminate the gap, and perhaps solve more murders."

Despite his prolific killings, the Grim Sleeper has had very little media coverage.

Some believe this is because the victims are mostly women from the troubled underbelly of LA. Others claim the police - who for years kept secret that they believed a serial killer was at work - do not want the publicity of failing to catch a murderer they have had more than two decades to find.

Porter Alexander is the father of 18-year-old Alicia Alexander, who went to the off-licence in 1988 and never came back.

He says: "This guy has the area mapped. He's a guy with a mindset, who is smart enough to back off and wait. I don't think he has left. He can, and probably will, start this mess all over again."

And Det Kilcoyne believes the suspect could carry on killing for the rest of his life. He says: "It will take old-fashioned police work to find this man. If the killer is a family man or goes home to his wife or kids, we might never find him."

The murders have echoes of the fictional Trinity Killer, a serial killer played by John Lithgow in popular US TV show Dexter.

Lithgow portrays family man Arthur Mitchell, who has been murdering victims across America for almost three decades.

Arthur will, no doubt, be caught in the end, probably on the final episode of the series after a nail-biting cliffhanger.

And in the showbiz-obsessed city of Los Angeles, it might need a TV-style supercop to stop the very real threat of the Grim Sleeper.

Because "old-fashioned police work" hasn't managed it yet.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2759629/Grim-Sleeper-serial-killer-chalks-up-11-victims.html#ixzz0Z0ownQLl
    beli : Cunt fingers. Just like butterfingers, only cuntier.

Re: Police still hunting the serial killer, named the 'Grim sleeper' after 25 years

Kinda looks like obama to me.  :2upset:

Re: Police still hunting the serial killer, named the 'Grim sleeper' after 25 years

God, I was so pissed when I read this stupid shit in the LA Weekly.  I mean, not the serial killer, he's serious business. But the way the L.A Weekly thinks they 'broke something' and gave him such a stupid name. It's so obvious the reporter was trying to bloat his own bullshit ego and putting sensationalizing a killer over actually reporting a story.

First of all, the writer for LA Weekly obviously knows NOTHING about serial killers. The whole thing where he was on hiatus for years? Not uncommon. He was most likely in jail, probably for another violent crime. Or it's possible that he moved somewhere else/is a drifter.

The idea that he went into stealth/sleep mode is totally dumb. It's misinformation provided by a mediocre writer who doesn't know anything about the pathology of serial killers. He literally talked to no law enforcement because he didn't want anything to contradict his story. Ugh.

Anyway. Yeah.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=23458.msg1468114#msg1468114 date=1260237148]
    God, I was so pissed when I read this stupid shit in the LA Weekly.  I mean, not the serial killer, he's serious business. But the way the L.A Weekly thinks they 'broke something' and gave him such a stupid name. It's so obvious the reporter was trying to bloat his own bullshit ego and putting sensationalizing a killer over actually reporting a story.

First of all, the writer for LA Weekly obviously knows NOTHING about serial killers. The whole thing where he was on hiatus for years? Not uncommon. He was most likely in jail, probably for another violent crime. Or it's possible that he moved somewhere else/is a drifter.

The idea that he went into stealth/sleep mode is totally dumb. It's misinformation provided by a mediocre writer who doesn't know anything about the pathology of serial killers. He literally talked to no law enforcement because he didn't want anything to contradict his story. Ugh.

Anyway. Yeah.
    [/quote]

Bowie, are you trying to say they all act the same, have the same motivations, the same reasons for killing or not killing?  I think you know better...but at the same time I understand your ire about the writer being presumptuous since they don't know anything about his motivation.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=23458.msg1469098#msg1469098 date=1260316028]
    Bowie, are you trying to say they all act the same, have the same motivations, the same reasons for killing or not killing?  I think you know better...but at the same time I understand your ire about the writer being presumptuous since they don't know anything about his motivation.
    [/quote]
    No, I'm saying that writer knew literally nothing about serial killers.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=23458.msg1468093#msg1468093 date=1260235755]
    Kinda looks like obama to me.  :2upset:
    [/quote]

This is why eyewitness testimony should never hold up. :lol:

Have you seen President Obama with his new beard?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23458.msg1469116#msg1469116 date=1260316696]

Have you seen President Obama with his new beard?

[/quote]So you're saying Will Smith is Obama's first child? Interesting.
    And the sketch of the killer doesn't quite look like Obama... but maybe a little so I'm gonna vote Saleen  :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Grim Sleeper is a badass serial killer nickname.

[img]http://Have you seen President Obama with his new beard?

[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

This is why eyewitness testimony should never hold up. :lol:

[/quote]

Fixed. 

Thread Information