Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10-year-old won't recite Pledge of Allegiance until gays have equal rights

10-year-old won't recite Pledge of Allegiance until gays have equal rights

Sorry if this is somewhere else. I'm incredibly proud that this kid is from Arkansas. 10 years old is so young to be so insightful and open-minded.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_355709.html
    Via Queerty comes a story from the Arkansas Times about Will Phillips, an elementary school student who refuses to say the pledge of allegiance in school because of discrimination against gay people:

"I've always tried to analyze things because I want to be lawyer," Will said. "I really don't feel that there's currently liberty and justice for all."

After asking his parents whether it was against the law not to stand for the pledge, Will decided to do something. On Monday, Oct. 5, when the other kids in his class stood up to recite the pledge of allegiance, he remained sitting down. The class had a substitute teacher that week, a retired educator from the district, who knew Will's mother and grandmother. Though the substitute tried to make him stand up, he respectfully refused. He did it again the next day, and the next day.

A columnist for the Arkansas News has stood up for Phillips against his angry substitute teacher. Predictably, fellow students have taunted the kid and called him a "gaywad," but he says he doesn't see his quiet act of protest ending any time soon.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: 10-year-old won't recite Pledge of Allegiance until gays have equal rights

THIS KID RULES!

There is hope. They don't all suck.

And that pledge is bullshit anyway, but don't get me started. "Under God" Pfft.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I saw this last week!  I love this kid, so damn smart.  No offense, but I really was surprised that he was from Arkansas AND that he was lucky enough to have an intelligent parent. :lol:

I hope this kid grows up to be president.

He wants to be a lawyer when he grows up. He did it for publicity. Do not be fooled.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Fucking awesome.  Totally spamming this to everyone I know. 

[quote author=nerysinci link=topic=23262.msg1454507#msg1454507 date=1258950941]
    I saw this last week!  I love this kid, so damn smart.  No offense, but I really was surprised that he was from Arkansas AND that he was lucky enough to have an intelligent parent. :lol:
    [/quote]
    I'm not offended.  :lol: I was really surprised, too. When my husband told me that he was from Arkansas, I said, "WHAAAAT?" because everyone is so conservative here AND because, like you said, his dad obviously is pretty supportive of his decision.
    [quote author=Chauncy link=topic=23262.msg1454511#msg1454511 date=1258951076]
    He wants to be a lawyer when he grows up. He did it for publicity. Do not be fooled.
    [/quote]
    :lol: :lol:

Also, is "gaywad" a regional term? I remember kids calling eachother that when I was in elementary school and junior high. I was always like "LOL WUT".

Gaywad isn't nationwide? :lol:

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23262.msg1454529#msg1454529 date=1258951951]
    Gaywad isn't nationwide? :lol:
    [/quote]
    I do not know. I was asking if it was. lol
    WHY ARE YOU INCAPABLE OF READING A COMPLETE POST?  :lol: :lol:

[quote author=sue_vicious link=topic=23262.msg1454535#msg1454535 date=1258952230]
    I do not know. I was asking if it was. lol
    WHY ARE YOU INCAPABLE OF READING A COMPLETE POST?  :lol: :lol:
    [/quote]

Can we have class outside?

Damn, I came in looking for the bullshit... but I agree with you all.
    Quick, someone change their mind!  :lol:

Genuinely, does a 10 year old understand gay rights? That's my only question.
    He still rocks. I'd high-five him!  :-D

[quote author=Fleta link=topic=23262.msg1454581#msg1454581 date=1258954649]
    Damn, I came in looking for the bullshit... but I agree with you all.
    Quick, someone change their mind!  :lol:

He still rocks. I'd high-five him!  :-D
    [/quote]
    He understands that there are certain people who don't get the same rights as everyone else. That's more than I can say for a lot of adults.

Totally understanding the sexuality aspect of it is moot. Hell, I think gay sex is gross (for dudes) but it doesn't mean that I want to make a law against it just cause I'm not into it.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23262.msg1454585#msg1454585 date=1258954904]
    He understands that there are certain people who don't get the same rights as everyone else. That's more than I can say for a lot of adults.

Totally understanding the sexuality aspect of it is moot. Hell, I think gay sex is gross (for dudes) but it doesn't mean that I want to make a law against it just cause I'm not into it.
    [/quote]

A hair off topic, but the bolded part made me  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: for serious.

I reckon they do.  It's pretty easy to understand when it is an absolute insult to be called gay when you are a kid.  My mom and uncle are gay and I was eight when I linked the insults in the school yard to what my family actually were, even though no one ever discussed it. 

I admire he's courage, whatever the motivation, he's got some rather large balls already. 
    When you go in search of honey you must expect to be stung by bees.

Hahaha I could see my 10 year old doing something like this.  I had to explain to her what separation of church and state meant, and she turned around and asked me "Ok...but why do they print GOD on all of the money?"  I had no answer for her really, other than to just ignore it since we are practicing pagans.  :lol:

[quote author=tmars78 link=topic=23262.msg1454508#msg1454508 date=1258950944]
    I hope this kid grows up to be president.
    [/quote]

of the world.

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=23262.msg1454725#msg1454725 date=1258964391]
    Hahaha I could see my 10 year old doing something like this.   I had to explain to her what separation of church and state meant, and she turned around and asked me "Ok...but why do they print GOD on all of the money?"   I had no answer for her really, other than to just ignore it since we are practicing pagans.  :lol:
    [/quote]

Ha! I used to have these talks with my mom all the time when I was younger. By the time I was age 10 I had decided I was spiritual not religious, Puerco suck, money is evil, most of our rights are a facade and cures for diseases are much easier to cure than anyone realizes. After a couple decades, I still feel the same, just better educated.

Kudos to this kid, I have a thing with kids being political ploys though. :|

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

[quote author=g r ee n ey e s link=topic=23262.msg1454816#msg1454816 date=1258990382]
    Ha! I used to have these talks with my mom all the time when I was younger. By the time I was age 10 I had decided I was spiritual not religious, Puerco suck, money is evil, most of our rights are a facade and cures for diseases are much easier to cure than anyone realizes. After a couple decades, I still feel the same, just better educated.

Kudos to this kid, I have a thing with kids being political ploys though. :|
    [/quote]

Yeah I wonder if he formed his opinion on his own or from his parents. Too many children get brainwashed at a young age to believe a lot of bull shit things.

This kid is pretty awesome either way. 
    Oh nooooooo your tires all flat and junk.

[quote author=tanya2012 link=topic=23262.msg1455335#msg1455335 date=1259022757]
    Yeah I wonder if he formed his opinion on his own or from his parents. Too many children get brainwashed at a young age to believe a lot of bull shit things.

[/quote]

[quote author=tanya2012 link=topic=23262.msg1455335#msg1455335 date=1259022757]

[/quote]

I don't get the brainwashed vibe from him, thankfully.  He just seems to be a very bright and intuitive child.  His Dad seemed a little embarrassed (in a cute way) by some of the things he was saying :lol:

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23262.msg1455377#msg1455377 date=1259024839]

[/quote]

At least they like black people.  :2smiley:

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23262.msg1455377#msg1455377 date=1259024839]

[/quote]

That is mainly my issue. Too often children are repeating what is said at home. And while this story might be on a level we are comfortable with, the fact of the matter is children lack the experience and knowledge to even somewhat battle the controversies that adults themselves are retarded on. It vaguely reminded me of the kid that went to school with an anti-abortion shirt. The kid has no clue what statement they are making.

So... yeah. While I may agree with this particular issue, children need to be children. Adulthood comes weather you like it or not. :|

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

i agree that it sucks when people bring kids into this shit, but i have taken my friends kids to rallies with me before so i guess i'm just as bad.  the difference of course is that i'm right and they're wrong.  :lol:  my friend's daughter was actually photographed at a pro-choice rally.  a year later her parents were walking thru an art show and saw the picture had been made into a poster and was for sale. 

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=23262.msg1455392#msg1455392 date=1259025578]
    i agree that it sucks when people bring kids into this shit, but i have taken my friends kids to rallies with me before so i guess i'm just as bad. the difference of course is that i'm right and they're wrong. :lol:  my friend's daughter was actually photographed at a pro-choice rally.  a year later her parents were walking thru an art show and saw the picture had been made into a poster and was for sale. 
    [/quote]
    Well at least you have perspective. That matters.

[quote author=nerysinci link=topic=23262.msg1455388#msg1455388 date=1259025318]
    I don't get the brainwashed vibe from him, thankfully.  He just seems to be a very bright and intuitive child.  His Dad seemed a little embarrassed (in a cute way) by some of the things he was saying :lol:
    [/quote]
    Yeah. I agree with all of this.
    I really did not at all get the impression that he was being forced into anything. He seems to be a ridiculously smart kid. He's got a lot of balls, too.

Thread Information