Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smiling on Facebook costs Canadian woman her health benefits

deliberate_misuse

Smiling on Facebook costs Canadian woman her health benefits

MONTREAL (AFP) – Facebook can be a double-edged sword, a Canadian woman learned when an insurance company cut her health benefits, claiming she was healthy after seeing pictures of her smiling in bikini at the beach.

Nathalie Blanchard, 29, took long-term sick leave from her job at IBM in Bromont, Quebec, more than a year ago for severe depression. She was receiving monthly benefits from her insurance company, Manulife.

When Blanchard called Manulife to inquire why the payments dried up, the insurance company said that "I'm available to work, because of Facebook," she told CBC television.

She said that Manulife cited several pictures Blanchard had posted on her social networking website page, including some showing her enjoying herself during a male strip-tease show at a Chippendales bar, celebrating her birthday and bathing in the sun.

Based on these postings, the firm claimed Blanchard was no longer depressed.

Manulife declined to comment on the incident but said in a statement that "we would not deny or terminate a valid claim solely based on information published on websites such as Facebook."

But the company did recognize that it uses such information to learn more about their clients.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091121/wl_canada_afp/lifestylecanadahealthinternetfacebook

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: Smiling on Facebook costs Canadian woman her job

Public pics on FaceBook? That seems to be the most surprising part of this story. :-o
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23237.msg1453473#msg1453473 date=1258863024]
    Public pics on FaceBook? That seems to be the most surprising part of this story. :-o
    [/quote]Oh, Ron.  :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Re: Smiling on Facebook costs Canadian woman her health benefits

Just because someone is smiling and acting like they are having fun does not mean that they aren't depressed anymore. Depressed people can get very good at faking it.

[quote author=nerysinci link=topic=23237.msg1453551#msg1453551 date=1258866241]
    Just because someone is smiling and acting like they are having fun does not mean that they aren't depressed anymore. Depressed people can get very good at faking it.
    [/quote]
    You know I read about this and it actually pissed me off a little.  Not for nothing, (I know it wasn't the case here but) someone conceivably could photoshop the crap out of some pics, post it on some flame fake site and then, now it's basically okay for a company to make a decision based off something they see?  Regardless of the fact that maybe she was better, or quite possibly, maybe she wasn't, I sure the hell dont think it should be relied upon for her facebook status to determine anything there....

[quote author=stav link=topic=23237.msg1453560#msg1453560 date=1258866836]
    You know I read about this and it actually pissed me off a little.  Not for nothing, (I know it wasn't the case here but) someone conceivably could photoshop the crap out of some pics, post it on some flame fake site and then, now it's basically okay for a company to make a decision based off something they see?  Regardless of the fact that maybe she was better, or quite possibly, maybe she wasn't, I sure the hell dont think it should be relied upon for her facebook status to determine anything there....
    [/quote]

All I know is from my own experience.  I was actually diagnosed as being depressed, even though my primary care provider (who I got the referral through) said I was the happiest depressed person he'd ever met.  During the years that I was struggling with depression, I went to the beach, went out with friends, had a boyfriend, etc...I acted happy bc I didn't want to deal with people bugging me.   I didn't necessarily WANT to be social and do all that stuff, because my depression had taken the desire to do anything from me.  But I did it anyway to keep others off my back.  And to try to feel normal.

[quote author=nerysinci link=topic=23237.msg1453566#msg1453566 date=1258867296]
    All I know is from my own experience.  I was actually diagnosed as being depressed, even though my primary care provider (who I got the referral through) said I was the happiest depressed person he'd ever met.  During the years that I was struggling with depression, I went to the beach, went out with friends, had a boyfriend, etc...I acted happy bc I didn't want to deal with people bugging me.   I didn't necessarily WANT to be social and do all that stuff, because my depression had taken the desire to do anything from me.  But I did it anyway to keep others off my back.  And to try to feel normal.
    [/quote]
    Well, that part of makes sense.  Last thing a person who's already upset wants to be is persecuted for being upset.  People sometimes think they are helping, or just want the person to know they want to help, but it's not usually the right thing to do.
    Again though, I think my bigger issue is that now social networks (web in general?) can be used as spy tools for someone to make a medical diagnosis on, and people don't even blink about it.

Gads I hate insurance companies.  I'm surprised I haven't heard about this elsewhere - thanks for posting it.

So if your depressed your not allowed to have some form of fun or smile EVER? My mom was depressed and suicidal for a while and even though she would spend some days not wanting to go out or have fun she would laugh if something was funny. It's a momentary thing geesh. Like Nery said too, sometimes depressed ppl can fake having fun cause having others on ur back worrying and bugging u makes you feel worse.

I have been suffering from depression for most of my adult life. Varying degrees, of course. But it's always there. Because I take medication
    I am able to "function". I can put on my happy face pretty much at any time. But I can then turn around and start bawling my eyes out. My
    Lorazepam helps with that.

One reason I do it is because whenever I do try to open up to my friends/family, they say things like "your life is not bad"; "just snap out of it";
    stuff like that. Plus, because I often times would love not to wake up, mentioning the "S" word upsets people. I am a people pleaser. I don't like
    to upset or make people mad..........So, I suffer in silence.

[quote author=stav link=topic=23237.msg1453573#msg1453573 date=1258867639]
    Well, that part of makes sense.  Last thing a person who's already upset wants to be is persecuted for being upset.  People sometimes think they are helping, or just want the person to know they want to help, but it's not usually the right thing to do.
    Again though, I think my bigger issue is that now social networks (web in general?) can be used as spy tools for someone to make a medical diagnosis on, and people don't even blink about it.
    [/quote]

PHIL!!!

[quote author=nerysinci link=topic=23237.msg1453566#msg1453566 date=1258867296]
    [/quote]

I know someone just like this. What people fail to realize is that a smile on face in no way represents the feelings and thoughts on the inside. 

[quote author=tmars78 link=topic=23237.msg1454466#msg1454466 date=1258949404]
    I know someone just like this. What people fail to realize is that a smile on face in no way represents the feelings and thoughts on the inside. 

[/quote]

Well said

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=23237.msg1454459#msg1454459 date=1258949071]
    PHIL!!!
    [/quote]
    :2wave:

Ron...this is why people have private profiles...

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=23237.msg1458100#msg1458100 date=1259279337]
    Ron...this is why people have private profiles...
    [/quote]
    Because they're too retarded to censor themselves, so they need a grown up to do it for them? :lol:

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23237.msg1458108#msg1458108 date=1259279711]
    Because they're too retarded to censor themselves, so they need a grown up to do it for them? :lol:
    [/quote]

Yeah dude!  America is a "hold your hand" society (and I am sure the Canadians are not far behind us).  Facebook should have warned her against this...not her fault one bit.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=23237.msg1458112#msg1458112 date=1259280043]
    Yeah dude!  America is a "hold your hand" society (and I am sure the Canadians are not far behind us).  Facebook should have warned her against this...not her fault one bit.
    [/quote]
    I'm still shocked by the fact that someone had an accessible profile on Facebook. This is amazing to me.
    What's the amazement in the company finding anything? That's like being amazed by aliens cause they're wearing blue jeans.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23237.msg1458114#msg1458114 date=1259280320]
    I'm still shocked by the fact that someone had an accessible profile on Facebook. This is amazing to me.
    What's the amazement in the company finding anything? That's like being amazed by aliens cause they're wearing blue jeans.
    [/quote]

Hey, I [s]stalk[/s] check out many women's public profiles on there.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=23237.msg1453473#msg1453473 date=1258863024]
    [/quote]

Haha that's what I was thinking too. :lol: But WTF,Really????? I know insurance companies will try to fuck you over to save a buck,but to use a BS reason as that,I cannot comprehend.People usually tend to mask how they feel on the inside from loved ones,as to not upset or worry them.Some of the biggest smiles i've ever had in pictures were taken during the worst times of my life. :x
    "She's Alive!"

What a ridiculous story. How could this be true or legal. How can an insurance company determine whether or not someone is depressed or not. Did they have a psychiatrist look at the picture? This is such horse shit.
    Years back, I broke up w a guy I loved and I was soooo Fucking depressed over it. I wasn't eating, or sleeping. My friends took me out to rockafeller center to see the christmas tree, there are pics of me with them smiling in front of the tree. There is even a pic of me eating an ice cream (it was unusually warm that day) and inside I wanted to throw myself into traffic.  I was so fucking depressed.

What upsets me is that whoever finalizes these decisions can't be fucking human. Is it a goddamn robot or something, I just don't get how people don't use common sense in these situations. It's not like she was on disability, a snapshot doesn't represent someones overall mental health.

This really got under my skin dammit. 

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=23237.msg1459882#msg1459882 date=1259515373]
    What a ridiculous story. How could this be true or legal. How can an insurance company determine whether or not someone is depressed or not. Did they have a psychiatrist look at the picture? This is such horse shit.
    Years back, I broke up w a guy I loved and I was soooo Fucking depressed over it. I wasn't eating, or sleeping. My friends took me out to rockafeller center to see the christmas tree, there are pics of me with them smiling in front of the tree. There is even a pic of me eating an ice cream (it was unusually warm that day) and inside I wanted to throw myself into traffic.  I was so fucking depressed.

What upsets me is that whoever finalizes these decisions can't be fucking human. Is it a goddamn robot or something, I just don't get how people don't use common sense in these situations. It's not like she was on disability, a snapshot doesn't represent someones overall mental health.

This really got under my skin dammit. 
    [/quote]

Mine, too.  It goes to superior court on Dec. 8th so hopefully reason will prevail.

They've been making payments for over a year for someone who was too sick to work... but not too sick to stuff dollars into a stripper's thong or go out and party. I can see why they would protest. However, asking for a re-evaluation would have been a much better route. It's a tough thing to grasp that she's been drawing a check for being depressed, not for being physically sick... it is a very different situation, and one they are obviously unprepared to approach.

So because she's depressed she should lock herself in her house sulking all the time? All of her facebook photos should be of her crying and blubbering and talking about how depressed she is? Depressed people try to hide their depression from people. And besides, it was her BIRTHDAY.

[quote author=oohsofaabulous link=topic=23237.msg1461476#msg1461476 date=1259633745]
    So because she's depressed she should lock herself in her house sulking all the time? All of her facebook photos should be of her crying and blubbering and talking about how depressed she is? Depressed people try to hide their depression from people. And besides, it was her BIRTHDAY.
    [/quote]
    The only time you don't smile for a picture is for a passport, license or mugshot. People smile for pics at funerals if you put a camera in front of them. What a crock of shit.

Thread Information