Thread: Where do Nascar fans go to die? WALMART!! (Walmart now sells Caskets)

Where do Nascar fans go to die? WALMART!! (Walmart now sells Caskets)

Sorry if this is old news.. I just read it. :lol:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=4044&ic=48_0&searc h_query=caskets&Find.x=22&Find.y=12&Fi nd=Find&wmlspartner=C2C&sourceid=391115543 80993817519

From diapers to funeral supplies, Walmart has everything the American consumer needs from birth to death.

The nation's largest retailer has begun selling caskets and cremation urns on the company's Web site, but area funeral homes claim they are not worried about being undercut in price.

Ed English, managing partner at Lane Funeral Home on Ashland Terrace, said a number of companies already have been selling caskets and funeral supplies online.

"No, we're not worried about it at all," he said. "I believe in a free and open market system."

Cade Williamson, owner of Legacy Funeral Home in Soddy-Daisy, agreed.

"I've looked at them, and they are really not priced all that much different," Mr. Williamson said. "In fact, some of the ones they have are more than ours."

Mr. English said Lane Funeral Home sells more than 20 caskets within Walmart's price range.

Walmart's Web site lists 14 caskets that start at $895. All are less than $2,000 except for the Sienna Bronze Casket which lists for $2,899.

The company also offers a variety of styles of cremation urns. A child or infant urn lists for $99.99, while the Web site advertises dozens of adult-sized urns ranging from $140 to $242. Walmart also sells several styles of pet urns that range from about $59 to $79.

Mr. Williamson said his funeral home sells caskets starting at about $700 but they can go as high as $12,000, depending upon what the customer wants.

Also, most area funeral homes offer something Walmart can't, Mr. Williamson said.

"I put my emphasis on service, not on price," he said. "That's what sets us apart from Walmart."

Walmart's caskets come from Star Legacy Funeral Network Inc., a company based in McHenry, Ill., that sells the same caskets for about the same price -- some less -- on its site, along with many others.

Star Legacy CEO Rick Obadiah said the response in the first week has been better than the company or Walmart expected, though he declined to give specifics.

A spokesman for Walmart.com also declined to release sales figures and downplayed the venture, but Walmart spokesman Ravi Jariwala wrote in an e-mail that numerous other online retailers offer funeral supplies.

"We are simply conducting a limited beta test to understand customer response," he wrote.

But Mr. Obadiah said it is not simply a test. He said more than 200 Star Legacy products, including pet urns and memorial jewelry, and eventually about two dozen caskets, will be sold at walmart.com. The company also supplies similar types of products to online retailer Overstock.com and urns to Walmart competitor CostCo.

Caskets from Walmart are guaranteed to ship within 48 hours, and federal law requires funeral homes to accept third-party caskets.
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/oct/31/walmart-offers-caskets-urns-at-web-site/?business

Re: Where do Nascar fans go to die? WALMART!! (Walmart now sells Caskets)

Yeah.  We were looking at those at work the other night.  Weird thought to buy it at Walmart.  :lol:

I wonder if they provide delivery, or if you just chuck it into the back of the family truckster and cart it off yourself. 

Now I'm wondering just how many rednecks I'll see in my area toting around a coffin in the back of the F150 or hanging out the back of an SUV  :lol: 

I just told my family I want them to put me on the mountaintop and feed the vultures and whatnot. Why not? Cos they're not CUTE birdies?

Life is life, my life going to another life, rules with me. They wont do that though...I'm not sure it's even legal

I think either Sam's club or Costco has been selling them for a while. If it was Sam's (which I think it may have been) it only makes sense that they expanded onto Walmart's site.
    I'm sure you get better "service" from a funeral home (especially a smaller, family owned one) but sometimes the prices can be adding insult to injury for a family who has just lost a loved one.  :2embarrassed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

[quote author=Feetprints link=topic=23044.msg1435903#msg1435903 date=1257197811]
    I'm sure you get better "service" from a funeral home (especially a smaller, family owned one) but sometimes the prices can be adding insult to injury for a family who has just lost a loved one.  :2embarrassed:
    [/quote]

So can dealing with a snot nosed teenager at the check out stand.

Burger King should start offering cremation.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=23044.msg1436630#msg1436630 date=1257271861]
    [/quote]

have it your way.

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=23044.msg1436591#msg1436591 date=1257268162]
    So can dealing with a snot nosed teenager at the check out stand.
    [/quote]Meh, you're gonna have to deal with snotty people anyways in life, even after someone dies. Might as well deal with them while saving a few bucks on the casket.  :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

I think the whole ordeal of burying someone is just outrageous and stupid.  But ultra corporatizing it?  Absolutely disgusting. 

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.

[quote author=LuciferBlue link=topic=23044.msg1437366#msg1437366 date=1257313294]
    I think the whole ordeal of burying someone is just outrageous and stupid.  But ultra corporatizing it?  Absolutely disgusting. 
    [/quote]

I dunno, I like it better knowing that WalMart or Costco will give you a better deal than funeral homes will on a casket.  They've been fucking the dead...and the living...for decades.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=23044.msg1436630#msg1436630 date=1257271861]
    [/quote]

McDonalds already did...ever had a McRib?  :lol:
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Thread Information