Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ever Dream This Man?

Ever Dream This Man?

http://www.thisman.org/history.htm

In January 2006 in New York, the patient of a well-known psychiatrist draws the face of a man that has been repeatedly appearing in her dreams. In more than one occasion that man has given her advice on her private life. The woman swears she has never met the man in her life.

That portrait lies forgotten on the psychiatrist's desk for a few days until one day another patient recognizes that face and says that the man has often visited him in his dreams. He also claims he has never seen that man in his waking life.

The psychiatrist decides to send the portrait to some of his colleagues that have patients with recurrent dreams. Within a few months, four patients recognize the man as a frequent presence in their own dreams. All the patients refer to him as THIS MAN.

From January 2006 until today, at least 2000 people have claimed they have seen this man in their dreams, in many cities all over the world: Los Angeles, Berlin, Sao Paulo, Tehran, Beijing, Rome, Barcelona, Stockholm, Paris, New Dehli, Moskow etc.

At the moment there is no ascertained relation or common trait among the people that have dreamed of seeing this man. Moreover, no living man has ever been recognized as resembling the man of the portrait by the people who have seen this man in their dreams.

The aim of this website is:
    - to help those who have seen this man in their dreams and to foster communication among them;
    - to understand who this man is and why he appears in an apparently pattern-less array of situations in the dreams of such diverse human subjects.

Re: Ever Dream This Man?

His eyebrows are really creepy looking. I think if I saw him in a dream I'd be scared and think I was having a nightmare.

[quote author=HeyyyMan link=topic=22889.msg1421312#msg1421312 date=1256076856]
    His eyebrows are really creepy looking. I think if I saw him in a dream I'd be scared and think I was having a nightmare.
    [/quote]

The "theory" section is creepy.  One goes as far to say he is the "creator" another says this guy is a real person and a "dream surfer".

Gaaaah. I hope I never do see that face. Gaaaah. Fucking ugh. Ugh. That is just ugh.

[quote author=Kristinella link=topic=22889.msg1421313#msg1421313 date=1256076945]
    The "theory" section is creepy.  One goes as far to say he is the "creator" another says this guy is a real person and a "dream surfer".
    [/quote]

Maybe he's the sandman. He really does scare me though.

That guy is creepy as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    No one ever gets me. Where is Lawchick? We speak the same intellectual language.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Fuckin LawChick, how does she work?

[quote author=HeyyyMan link=topic=22889.msg1421312#msg1421312 date=1256076856]
    [/quote]

I never want to meet these guys...  :-(

"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” - Calvin & Hobbes (God's favorite comic strip)

DREAM IMITATION THEORY
    This is a scientific psycho-sociological theory which claims that this phenomenon has arisen casually and has progressively developed by imitation. Basically when people are exposed to this phenomenon they become so deeply impressed that they start seeing this man in their dreams.

That's probably it. I hope I don't start seeing him now or I'll be 

Oh my gah. This one is almost as bad as the one on the front page.

the color nine

Curious George with a receding hairline?  Maybe they were all read this before bed.

[quote author=HeyyyMan link=topic=22889.msg1421324#msg1421324 date=1256077516]
    DREAM IMITATION THEORY
    This is a scientific psycho-sociological theory which claims that this phenomenon has arisen casually and has progressively developed by imitation. Basically when people are exposed to this phenomenon they become so deeply impressed that they start seeing this man in their dreams.

That's probably it. I hope I don't start seeing him now or I'll be  

Oh my gah. This one is almost as bad as the one on the front page.

[/quote]

It has to be the imitation one.

I expect all of you to report in tomorrow with sightings of this hottie in your dreams.

[/quote]o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

do.not.want.
    Seriously, those pictures are terrible. And yeah, it seems like maybe people see the picture, and go gaaaah. Then since that face is so horrid the image sticks and shows up in dreams. I feel a nightmare coming on.

Kristenella  :2angry:
    That picture and story gave me the chills the minute I saw and read it.
    Seriously.
    I have never seen that man, but the idea of numerous people recognizing him freaks me out especially because he looks so normal and calm.
    I definitely belive that dreams and the unconscious are a gate way between the physical world and the metaphysical one.

Now all i need to do is see Paranormal Activities and I will officially never be able to sleep again  :2smiley:

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=Kristinella link=topic=22889.msg1421313#msg1421313 date=1256076945]
    [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Ew, he reminds me of that dummy from an old Twilight Zone episode.  :2thescream:
    *shudder*

in the map section it looks like he's predominantly in white areas around the world. Not too many Africans dream of a white dude with sideburns and big eyebrows i suppose.

[/quote]http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1323409152/nm0000048 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

I did dream him!  And that "he" was most likely a hoax.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:LNT2Q39a-NAJ:assme.org/2009/10/12/thisman-org-is-probably-viral-marketing-so-shut-up-and-quit-freaking-out-about-him/+Andrea+Natella+hoax&cd=2&hl=en&ct=cln k&gl=us#

article from link posted above.

Ever dream this man? If you say yes, you’re probably lying or in on the joke. Or you are easily influenced. Something. Because if the mysterious website ThisMan.org isn’t a viral marketing campaign of some sort, I’ll eat Dinty Moore Beef Stew again, and I haven’t eaten that crap since the Dinty Moore Incident of 1975, which laid my entire family low for a day or so.

ThisMan.org is a website that’s been slowly but surely making it into tweets and blog posts all across the Web. Just tonight auteur of awkwardness Tim Heidecker (the “Tim” in Tim & Eric Awesome Show: Great Job) re-tweeted someone else’s link to the site and said it was “Scaring the shit outta” him.

And that’s a typical reaction to ThisMan.org, because of the beetle-browed visage you see above. It’s just weird. Theories about “This Man” as found on the site certainly add to the surreal feeling. Here’s just one supposed (alleged, apparent) theory about “This Man”:

DREAM SURFER THEORY
    It is the most interesting theory and the one that has the greatest implications, but it has also the lowest scientific credibility. According to this theory this man is a real person, who can enter people’s dreams by means of specific psychological skills. Some believe that in real life this man looks like the man in the dreams. Others think that the man in the dreams looks completely different from his real life counterpart. Some people seem to believe that behind this man there is a mental conditioning plan developed by a major corporation.

Creepy shit.

All this really means that Italian “guerrilla marketer” Andrea Natella is pretty good at what he does, except for that whole private domain registration thingy. Because Natella is the guy who registered the site on January 24, 2009. And Andrea Natella doesn’t hide what he does from the curious surfer who learns his name.

He’s a “sociologist specializing in marketing” and once wrote an article about the “origins of the subversive use of the hoax in Italy.” He runs GuerrigliaMarketing.it, where he defines “Guerrilla Marketing” as “a set of non-conventional communication techniques that achieves maximum visibility with minimum investment.” Natella also states on his site that the “memetic virus can replicate itself in the minds of consumers.”

You know, like a slightly creepy-looking sketch of a dude on a website with all sorts of implied, strange backstory. Like ThisMan.org.

There’s a bit of entertainment value in being creeped-out by such things until you realize that not only is the effort completely calculated in nature, but the person behind it (the “Calculator,” I guess) is also actively using you to further the “memetic virus” of his product, whatever it is. Not only that, he’s achieving “maximum visibility” and all he’s doing is running a website with a page where you can download fliers about “This Man” in a wide variety of languages. Fliers that are apparently in use the world over.

That may not change the entertainment value for some people, I know, but for me, it’s almost like Dinty Moore all over again, man. I enjoyed the hell out of that stew with the big thumbprint on the can the night I ate it, all those years ago, but after the horrific, Exorcist-esque denouement of what that beef stew did to my family 7 hours later, I could never even look at giant thumbprints on cans of stew again. With “This Man” I was entertained and briefly intrigued, but a few hours and a tweeted link later I realized I’d just been used to transport some sort of virus or parasite and I felt hollowed out, wasted and a little disgusted.

(Okay, I’m stretching, but work with me…)

I’m not sure as to what “This Man” is selling. In fact, he may just be an experiment meant to act as proof-of-concept for Andrea Natella’s expressed theories. Whichever the case, I don’t feel like buying, traveling the maze, puking up the stew, none of it. Finito, fratello.
    ask me questions damnit<br />http://www.formspring.me/bama

Well, I can only go the logical route after that link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcjU4lNUx1U

So I slept for around 6 hours and I didn't dream him!&nbsp; :-D

:2angry: WHY did you post a ventriloquist's dummy in the thread IcingSugar?! Now I'll def not get any sleep.&nbsp;

didn't dream him either. thank god. lol

[quote author=angelaiscaustic link=topic=22889.msg1421669#msg1421669 date=1256104947]
    :2angry: WHY did you post a ventriloquist's dummy in the thread IcingSugar?! Now I'll def not get any sleep.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

So sorry. If it makes you feel better I didn't sleep well last night. I kept thinking of those creepy eyebrows.&nbsp; :2thescream:

This story is all up in my head.&nbsp; His face is fucking terrifying.&nbsp; Which one of the theories do you guys think is more on the mark?&nbsp;

Thread Information