Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: 6-year-old trapped alone in balloon aircraft floating over Colorado

Re: 6-year-old trapped alone in balloon aircraft floating over Colorado

http://www.2thedeuce.com/news/kdvr-b...,1859320.story

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - The parents accused of pulling a spectacular hoax by reporting that their 6-year-old son had floated away in a helium balloon pleaded guilty to charges in a Fort Collins, Colorado Friday morning.

Richard Heene entered a plea of guilty to a charge of attempting to influence a public servant, a felony. He stood along side his attorney, David Lane before the judge. He was released on a personal recognizance bond. Lane asked the judge to allow Richard Heene permission to go to New York to pursue a job opportunity. That request was granted.

Heene's wife, Mayumi, a Japanese citizen who could be deported if convicted of more serious charges, then stood up before the judge and pleaded guilty to a charge of misdemeanor false reporting to authorities.

Lane said the threat of deportation "fueled" negotiations with prosecutors. Mayumi Heene's attorney said her immigration status was a factor in reaching the deal.

Prosecutors announced criminal charges against the couple Thursday but did not confirm that a plea deal had been struck.

Richard and Mayumi Heene left their house in Fort Collins at about 7:30 a.m. and took their boys to school. Then they headed to the Larimer County Courthouse.

The Oct. 15 saga gripped a global audience, first with fear for the safety of 6-year-old Falcon Heene and then with anger at his parents when authorities accused them of perpetrating the hoax to drum up attention for a possible reality show.

The Fort Collins Coloradoan reported the cost of the four-hour long search to be about $62,000. It's unclear if the Heenes will be billed for that.

Sentencing for the Heene's was set for December 22.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Pleaded guilty? I just got a little more respect for the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

The Fort Collins Coloradoan reported the cost of the four-hour long search to be about $62,000. It's unclear if the Heenes will be billed for that.
    Uhmm. I think it's clear that they should be billed every cent.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=22821.msg1445808#msg1445808 date=1258136298]
    Pleaded guilty? I just got a little more respect for the guy.
    [/quote]

Considering all the evidence against him, I don't really think he would plead not guilty. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that if you plead not guilty, it is super costly and your chances of harsher punishment increase heavily.

deliberate_misuse

This might seem petty but it pisses me off that the Heenes don't appear contrite in any of the photos.  The whole thing is a big joke to them.  I demand an apology!

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=22821.msg1446000#msg1446000 date=1258149949]
    Considering all the evidence against him, I don't really think he would plead not guilty. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that if you plead not guilty, it is super costly and your chances of harsher punishment increase heavily.
    [/quote]
    Your time on MDS should already have told you that even a mountain of evidence don't mean nuttin to the accused. :lol:
    A muthafucker caught on video/audio tape will say "not guilty" with a straight fuckin face.

But I am sure there's another reason for it, other than him just being a respectable human being about it.

deliberate_misuse

Balloon Boy parents Mayumi and Richard Heene will both serve jail time and spend four years on probation for orchestrating the October hoax that transfixed the nation, a judge ruled Wednesday in Fort Collins.

"I am very, very sorry and I do want to apologize to all the rescue workers out there, and the people who got involved in the community," a choked-up Richard Heene told Larimer County District Court Judge Stephen Schapanski before the sentence was handed down.

Mayumi Heene did not address the court.

Prosecutors called the sentences "just and appropriate."

Still to be determined is the amount of restitution the couple will be required to pay, which prosecutors estimate at $47,000.

Schapanski also ordered the Heenes could not profit directly from their crime, and said they were barred from using any incident-related profits to pay the required restitution. To enforce that ruling, Schapanski ordered the couple to submit quarterly financial disclosures for the duration of their probation.

Richard and Mayumi Heene pleaded guilty on Nov. 13 in connection with the Oct. 15 incident in which they told the world their son had floated away from their Fort Collins home in a UFO-shaped helium balloon.

Falcon, 6, wasn't aboard the balloon when it landed near Denver International Airport, 50 miles away. Instead, the boy reappeared at his home later that afternoon, and his parents said he had been hiding in the garage attic.

The immediate outpouring of support for the family turned to skepticism and outright hostility hours later when Falcon said during a CNN interview that they did it "for the show." It was that admission, according to investigators, that turned law enforcement from believers to skeptics.

"This was all done for the purpose of making money," Schapanski said in sentencing the couple Wednesday. "All this was designed to attract attention."

Prosecutors said the couple was facing mounting financial trouble and had recently learned their efforts to secure a reality television deal were in jeopardy. When confronted by sheriff's investigators, Mayumi Heene confessed, prosecutor Andrew Lewis said.

Schapanski sentenced Richard Heene to 90 days in the county jail, with 30 days as "straight" time and 60 days to be served on work release. He must report to jail by Jan. 11. He pleaded guilty to one count of attempting to influence a public servant, a class 4 felony.

Mayumi Heene was sentenced to 20 days alternative jail time because Schapanski said she was "less involved" in the hoax and cooperated with investigators. She must report to jail by May 1. She pleaded guilty to one count of false reporting to authorities, a class 3 misdemeanor.

Both most also write letters of apology to the community and perform "useful public service," Schapanski ruled.

Lewis said Richard Heene "wasted a lot of manpower and a lot of money in wanting to get himself some publicity." He said a message needed to be sent to other self-promoters that they will be punished for orchestrating hoaxes.

During his presentation to Schapanski, Lewis said Richard Heene apparently feigned sleep while investigators were trying to give him a lie-detector test, and became upset when he learned Mayumi was cooperating with the investigators.

After the hearing, Richard Heene's attorney, David Lane, said both received a far harsher sentence than other people convicted of similar crimes.

"Nobody wants to be made a fool of," Lane said. "This is the payback."

A separate investigation conducted by county child-welfare officials concluded with no wrongdoing found, Lane said.

Larimer County District Attorney Larry Abrahamson said he believed the jail sentences were appropriate.

"In this case, it was very important that there be a deterrent aspect to the sentence," he said.

Larimer County Sherriff Jim Alderden, whose agency led the frantic search for Falcon and later the investigation into the couple, said he thought Schapanski's rulings were "well-reasoned" and said he was satisfied with the result.

Prosecutors have until Jan. 8 to submit a final estimate for restitution; a hearing may be held if the Heenes contest the amount.

The couple also faces a proposed $11,000 fine from the Federal Aviation Administration for launching an unauthorized aircraft, briefly forcing some Denver-area flights to be rerouted.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20091224/NEWS01/912240342/1002/CUSTOMERSERVICE02

That was well worth their time and effort, wasn't it?  :roll:
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=22821.msg1487166#msg1487166 date=1261711624]
    That was well worth their time and effort, wasn't it?  :roll:
    [/quote]

Im shocked in a good way that they actually got sentenced to jail time, although they prolly wont serve any of it. 

[quote author=Clockworx link=topic=22821.msg1487175#msg1487175 date=1261712414]
    Im shocked in a good way that they actually got sentenced to jail time, although they prolly wont serve any of it. 
    [/quote]

How can they not serve it at this point? The time for making deals is over, isn't it?

Schapanski sentenced Richard Heene to 90 days in the county jail, with 30 days as "straight" time and 60 days to be served on work release. He must report to jail by Jan. 11. He pleaded guilty to one count of attempting to influence a public servant, a class 4 felony.

Mayumi Heene was sentenced to 20 days alternative jail time because Schapanski said she was "less involved" in the hoax and cooperated with investigators. She must report to jail by May 1.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=22821.msg1487178#msg1487178 date=1261712734]
    How can they not serve it at this point? The time for making deals is over, isn't it?

Mayumi Heene was sentenced to 20 days alternative jail time because Schapanski said she was "less involved" in the hoax and cooperated with investigators. She must report to jail by May 1.

[/quote]

Im sure theyll serve a few days but highly doubt Dick will serve even half of his 30 days of "straight time" and Pussy prolly little to none.

[quote author=Clockworx link=topic=22821.msg1487181#msg1487181 date=1261712872]
    Im sure theyll serve a few days but highly doubt Dick will serve even half of his 30 days of "straight time" and Pussy prolly little to none.
    [/quote]

When you say shit like this I struggle to understand how Ang sees you as charming. 

Im glad that they have to pay back the money and that they cannot profit from the event they staged.  thats like that "runaway bride" chick.

I don't understand how its fine to make your child a public hoax infront of a nation and there is no wrong-doing found on the part of the child welfare system. He has to live with this forever. Doesn't that count for something?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=22821.msg1487182#msg1487182 date=1261713003]
    When you say shit like this I struggle to understand how Ang sees you as charming. 
    [/quote]

Its because IRL i tone it down a lot more, for the most part. :-)

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=22821.msg1487310#msg1487310 date=1261726681]
    I don't understand how its fine to make your child a public hoax infront of a nation and there is no wrong-doing found on the part of the child welfare system. He has to live with this forever. Doesn't that count for something?
    [/quote]

Do you think he should be taken out of the home? I think that would be much more damaging myself. They're nutty but not sure they're dangerous.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=22821.msg1487462#msg1487462 date=1261780814]
    Do you think he should be taken out of the home? I think that would be much more damaging myself. They're nutty but not sure they're dangerous.
    [/quote]
    I dunno, they are really fucking horrible Randy Marsh 'Baby Pharx McGee' parents. To be duplicitous is one thing but to force your kids to be involved? That's fucked up.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=22821.msg1487609#msg1487609 date=1261811356]
    I dunno, they are really fucking horrible Randy Marsh 'Baby Pharx McGee' parents. To be duplicitous is one thing but to force your kids to be involved? That's fucked up.
    [/quote]

What they did is extremely fucked up. I'd just hate to see the kid(s) removed from their home because of it. Foster care seems like such a horrible option.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=22821.msg1487667#msg1487667 date=1261845976]
    What they did is extremely fucked up. I'd just hate to see the kid(s) removed from their home because of it. Foster care seems like such a horrible option.
    [/quote]
    It's a shame that 90% of foster homes are as fucked up if not more than the abusers, because I have no doubt in my mind that these people are not capable of taking care of children. I don't think the Gosselins should have kids either.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=22821.msg1487686#msg1487686 date=1261847251]
    It's a shame that 90% of foster homes are as fucked up if not more than the abusers, because I have no doubt in my mind that these people are not capable of taking care of children. I don't think the Gosselins should have kids either.
    [/quote]
    Yea, I don't know why blood is an excuse to be able to be shitty to your kids and keep them. Taking kids away from bad parents is the responsible thing to do.

deliberate_misuse

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=22821.msg1487692#msg1487692 date=1261847507]
    Yea, I don't know why blood is an excuse to be able to be shitty to your kids and keep them. Taking kids away from bad parents is the responsible thing to do.
    [/quote]

I'm watching an MSNBC series called No Place For a Child.  It follows kids in the system for seven years.  My heart is breaking for these kids and their parents.  They're all so terribly messed up and it started long before they were placed in the system.  What the Heenes did is chump change compared to the drugs, violence and general craziness I'm seeing on this show.

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=22821.msg1487883#msg1487883 date=1261855862]
    I'm watching an MSNBC series called No Place For a Child.  It follows kids in the system for seven years.  My heart is breaking for these kids and their parents.  They're all so terribly messed up and it started long before they were placed in the system.  What the Heenes did is chump change compared to the drugs, violence and general craziness I'm seeing on this show.
    [/quote]
    Oh, I agree that there are LOTS of people worse, I still think these people are goofy and need to be watched. But what some people go through is horrible, and it disgusts me when people have zero interest in seeing extra being offered to people who need extra help.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=22821.msg1446036#msg1446036 date=1258152809]
    Your time on MDS should already have told you that even a mountain of evidence don't mean nuttin to the accused. :lol:
    A muthafucker caught on video/audio tape will say "not guilty" with a straight fuckin face.

But I am sure there's another reason for it, other than him just being a respectable human being about it.
    [/quote]

It's called copping a plea. A deal was made..

Thread Information