Thread: Bones found on M5 of Melanie Hall (25) who disappeared in 1996

Bones found on M5 of Melanie Hall (25) who disappeared in 1996

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Bones-Found-In-Bag-Near-M5-Motorway-North-Of-Bristol-Identified-As-Melanie-Hall-Missing-Since-1996/Article/200910115401613?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article _Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15401613_Bones_Fo und_In_Bag_Near_M5_Motorway_North_Of_Bristol_Ident ified_As_Melanie_Hall%2C_Missing_Since_1996

Bones found at the side of a motorway have been identified as those of a woman who disappeared from a nightclub in 1996, Sky sources say.

The remains of Melanie Hall were discovered in a bag on the M5 slip road at junction 14, north of Bristol, on Monday.

The 25-year-old went missing after a night out at Cadillacs club in Bath on June 9, 1996.

Miss Hall, who worked as a clerical officer at the Royal United Hospital in Bath, was last seen sitting on a stool on the dance floor of the venue at around 1.10am.

Despite the offer of a £10,000 reward and several appeals on television, no trace of her had ever been found until now.

The last lead for police investigating her disappearance came in 2003 and focused on a field near Inglesbatch.

Two men from the Bath area, both aged in their 30s, were arrested over Ms Hall's death but were later released due to a lack of evidence.

An inquest held in 2005 recorded an open verdict.

Miss Hall's parents Steve and Patricia, who live in Bradford-on-Avon, made a fresh appeal for information on the 10th anniversary of her disappearance.

The couple said they would speak at a news conference alongside officers from Avon and Somerset Police on Thursday.

Sky's Katie Stallard said the detective who led the original inquiry into Miss Hall's disappearance would also be present, along with the detective in charge of the investigation into the discovery of the bones.
    beli : Cunt fingers. Just like butterfingers, only cuntier.

Re: Bones found on M2 of Melanie Hall (25) who disappeared in 1996

i wonder if they can arrest those two men again now that they found her remains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar

[quote author=beli link=topic=22697.msg1406397#msg1406397 date=1254942036]
    i wonder if they can arrest those two men again now that they found her remains.
    [/quote]

I think it would depend on if there was any additional evidence found with the bones that could link them to the crime.  I hope so.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=22697.msg1406400#msg1406400 date=1254942105]
    I hope so.
    [/quote]me too
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Can someone change my title from m2 to m5 pwease? 

[quote author=beli link=topic=22697.msg1406397#msg1406397 date=1254942036]
    [/quote]

If there is new, compelling evidence to link them to the crime. They might get away with it though because of the principle of double jeopardy  :| I don't know how it works over there.

Its so hideous to think that poor girl may of been in that bag on the side of the road since 1996. That is just bizarre.

The men were arrested but charges were never filed in court. That means the double jeopardy wouldn't apply. Even if it did, they could get them with kidnapping and other related crimes.

[quote author=partyguy link=topic=22697.msg1406523#msg1406523 date=1254947390]
    The men were arrested but charges were never filed in court. That means the double jeopardy wouldn't apply. Even if it did, they could get them with kidnapping and other related crimes.
    [/quote]

Double Jeopardy law was ended in 2005 in the UK. So even if charges were filed, as long as they have "new and compelling evidence", they can re arrest them.

Re: Bones found on M5 of Melanie Hall (25) who disappeared in 1996

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2673006/Murdered-Melanie-parents-anguish.html

AN anguished couple today pleaded for help to end their 13-year torment after the body of their missing daughter was found by a motorway.
    Blonde Melanie Hall, 25, vanished from a nightclub in Bath, Somerset, in June 1996 after a row with her boyfriend.

Cops drew a blank despite a massive hunt and no-one has ever been charged over her murder.

But earlier this week workmen found part of her remains in black bin bags by a slip road on the M5 north of Bristol.

A distinctive patterned ring belonging to Melanie was found among the bones which had remained hidden for years.

Her parents Pat and Steve said they hoped the discovery would now produce a new breakthrough in the hunt for her killer.

Steve, 65, told a press conference: "Thirteen years ago we had a young, vibrant daughter, someone with a future in front of her.

"Today we have a bag of bones discarded on the side of the motorway.

"We are looking at an horrendous crime, a crime that has for 13 years caused untold anguish for myself and my wife and our family.

"That anguish will not go away in the years to come. We desperately need to know what happened to Melanie on that night.

"Watching this interview, probably, will be the person or persons involved in her murder or if not, people who know of the people who have been involved.

"I would like to take this opportunity to appeal to everyone to come forward and help us in our hour of need."

Pat, 64, a nurse, said: "We have always believed she had been murdered - early on we decided that was the eventual outcome.

"It is a relief to know at last part of her body has been found and we can now bury her properly.

"But I feel very angry that she's been dumped by the side of the road like a sack of garbage."

She added: "It has taken 13 years for us to find her and now we are relying very much on everybody to come forward to our two other outstanding questions.

"Who was involved in her murder, and why?"

Steve, a former chairman of Bath City FC, added: "We have always believed that someone out there has a pretty good idea of what happened to Melanie.

"Friends of people involved may have a good idea, or suspect that something may not be right.

"I'm hoping that now her body has been found that those people can focus on information they haven't brought forward to the police.

"I am appealing that they find that change of heart and that strength of will to come forward.

"People out there know - they have been living with that secret for 13 years. Now is the time to come forward."

Pat and Steve, who have another daughter Dominique, 41, said Melanie was a 'home-loving' girl who lived with them in Bradford Leigh, Wilts.

She worked in the orthopaedics department at Bath Hospital and disappeared in the early hours of June 9, 1996 after going to the Cadillacs nightclub in the city.

She had gone to the club with her boyfriend of just three weeks, German-born Philip Kurlbaum, and two friends.

Eyewitnesses saw her arguing with Mr Kurlbaum after she danced with another man and she was last seen sitting on a stool on the edge of the dance floor at 1.10am.

Mr Kurlbaum, now 46 and married with two children, was questioned at length after her disappearance but was eliminated as a possible suspect.

He has declined to comment so far at his home near Cheltenham, Gloucs.

There were 800 people in the club when Melanie vanished and officers interviewed 3,800 people.

Cops also conducted exhaustive searches of the River Avon and there have been several TV appeals and reconstructions.

In March 2003 police swooped on a pig farm in the village of Inglesbatch five miles south of Bath and arrested two local men in their 30s.

Tragic

Officers spent two weeks sifting through mounds of pig waste before releasing the men without charge.

Melanie was finally declared dead at an inquest in November 2004 where an open verdict was recorded through of a lack of evidence.

Her parents have kept her bedroom untouched as a tragic shrine.

Detective Superintendent Mike Courtiour told the press conference: "There is clear evidence that she was unlawfully killed and we need to identify and bring to justice the person or people responsible for her death.

"Finding her body offers us a new and crucial opportunity to appeal to anyone with information to come forward.

"Where did she go? Who was she with? Why was she killed?

"I am sure someone must know who is responsible for taking her body to the place where she's now been found.
    "I would say to anyone who has kept quiet for 13 years - now is the time to speak out and to help us, and most importantly to help Mr and Mrs Hall."

Det Supt Courtiour said 'several' black bin bags had been used to cover Melanie's remains, which were found on the northbound-slip road of junction 14 of the M5 nr Thornbury.

Police Chief Superintendent Gary Davies added: "The search for Melanie is over - the search for her killer will never end.

"Our commitment to finding her killer is absolute, and we hope this will now provide the breakthrough."

urgh this case makes my heart ache. It reminds me so much of the Claremont serial killer case over here in Australia. Exact same circumstances, exact same outcome - nobody has ever been charged. Actually, now that I am thinking about it, one of the Claremont girls went missing the early hours of June 9th 1996 after leaving a nightclub, same date as this poor girl. Kind of spooky coincidence .. gives me chills up the spine.

God I hope her parents get some closure after 13 years, every day must be an absolute living hell knowing that the perpetrator(s) who did this to their beautiful daughter could still be walking around out there. You could never look at anyone the same again. And to find her disposed of on the side of a road in such a heinous, brutal manner .. I just cannot imagine the pain and suffering they have to endure each day. In many respects, whoever responsible for this, not only took this poor girl's life, but destroyed the lives of her friends and family forever. At the very least, they can now bring her home and lay her to rest with some sort of dignity, which is a cold comfort in the grand scheme of things. Here's hoping that someone may come forward after all these years with some information after this latest development because sure as hell there are people out there who know what happened and who is responsible.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/10/09/man-arrested-over-melanie-hall-murder-115875-21733959/

A man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of Melanie Hall.

The suspect went to Cheadle Heath police station in Greater Manchester at 2.45am yesterday after the 25-year-old's bones were found in a bag near the M5 on Monday, 13 years after she went missing following a night out in Bath.

The man, aged 37, was arrested on suspicion of murder by Greater Manchester Police.

A spokeswoman for the force said: "Shortly after 2.45am on Thursday October 8 a 37-year-old man handed himself in at Cheadle Heath police station.

"He was arrested on suspicion of murder on behalf of Avon and Somerset Police. He remains in police custody."

A spokeswoman for Avon and Somerset Police said today: "At the moment he is undergoing a mental health assessment. Our officers were dispatched there yesterday. It will be our officers that question him."

Miss Hall, 25, was last seen alive in Cadillacs nightclub in Bath, on June 9 1996. This week her remains were found "dumped like a sack of garbage" beside the M5 by a workman clearing vegetation.

At a press conference yesterday, Avon and Somerset Police urged anyone keeping the secret of the young hospital worker's death to break their long silence.

The graduate's parents Pat and Steve Hall spoke of their "untold anguish" today after officers confirmed that bones found beneath five bags on a sliproad near Bristol were those of their daughter.

Speaking at Bath police station, Mr Hall, 65, an ex-chairman of Bath City, said he needed to know how his "vibrant" daughter became a "bag of bones".

Mr Hall, from Bradford-on-Avon, said the killer was probably watching and urged the public to help.

He said: "People out there know, they've lived with that secret for 13 years - now I'm appealing for the person who knows to come forward.

"Thirteen years ago we had a young vibrant daughter with a bright future in front of her... Today we have a bag of bones discarded here on the side of a motorway.

"We desperately need to know what happened to Melanie on the night she left the nightclub in Bath ... Watching this interview, probably, will be the person or persons involved in Melanie's murder - if not, people who know of the people involved."

He added: "Someone out there has a pretty good idea what has happened to Melanie. A friend of people involved or a relative of people involved.

"Someone may have an good idea that something may not be right. I'm hoping that now her body has been found, they find that change of heart or strength of will to come forward.

"People out there know, and have lived with that secret for 13 years."

Mrs Hall added: "I feel very angry that she has been dumped on the side of the road like a sack of garbage. I'm sure I'll come to terms with that at some stage."

The psychology graduate had been on a night out with friends and her boyfriend of three weeks, Dr Philip Karlbaum, who left the club "upset" after seeing her dancing with another man.

Miss Hall, who worked as a clerical officer in the orthopaedic department at Bath's Royal United Hospital where she met Dr Karlbaum, was last seen sitting on a stool near the dancefloor shortly after 1am.

Thousands of nightclubbers and taxi drivers were interviewed in an investigation involving 60 officers and several searches of the River Avon, but no trace of Miss Hall was found.

Detective Superintendent Mike Courtiour, who is leading the investigation for Avon and Somerset Police, said it was his intention to "identify and bring to justice the person responsible".

He said: "We are continuing to carry out extremely detailed examinations of her remains.

"We believe her body had been at the site for a significant amount of time."

He added: "In 13 years loyalties change, relationships change. People have consciences and I hope as a result of hearing Mr and Mrs Hall today they will be prepared to come forward and help us."

A post-mortem examination has been carried out, although the cause of death is not yet known. She was formally identified through dental records.

A ring that had been in generations of her family also left her parents in no doubt their daughter had been found.

Her bones were found under thick undergrowth beneath five plastic bags close to the roadside. Police are now preparing to comb or even excavate the surrounding area as part of the investigation.

In 2003 police arrested two men in connection with her disappearance but they were released without charge after police searched buildings and a field near Bath.

The police case has never been closed and detectives have looked at possible links with the case of estate agent Suzy Lamplugh and the "Batman rapist", a serial sex attacker in Bath who has evaded capture for years.

The prime suspect in the Suzy Lamplugh case, convicted killer John Cannan, was in jail at the time Miss Hall went missing but police interviewed him in 1998 as they believed his former cellmate, convicted rapist Christopher Clark, could have been involved.

Police also questioned convicted killer Mark Shillibier about the case in December 2000, but no charges were brought against either man.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/10/11/the-no1-suspect-in-hunt-for-mel-killer-115875-21738026/

Here's No1 suspect in hunt for murder victim Melanie Hall's killer

Sex murderer confessed to his cell-mate: I did it

This is the man linked to the brutal killing and dismemberment of "bag of bones" murder victim Melanie Hall.

Convicted sex killer Marc Shillibier, 37, is already serving life for the vicious 1999 murder of teenager Rebecca Storrs, 18, who spurned his advances at a party.

The evil dad-of-two once confessed to a cellmate that he had also killed hospital worker Melanie, 25, whose remains were found in a bin bag on the side of the M5 this week - 13 years after she disappeared from a nightclub in Bath.

He later withdrew his claim - made three years after she vanished - and refused to co-operate with detectives investigating the disappearance.

He also stood trial in 1998 for the murder of a 45-year-old gay man who, it was claimed, he had picked up for sex and later stabbed and set alight.

He was acquitted but police made it clear they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the killing and always left the case open.

Melanie's body was also burned after her murder.

Last night, Avon and Somerset police said detectives were "following up several lines of inquiry".

But a source close to the probe said: "There are people who think Shillibier should have been convicted of murder a year before he killed Rebecca Storrs. They also think he killed Melanie. Rebecca's mum Elizabeth is convinced he had killed before."

Shillibier walked free from Bristol Crown Court in October 1998 after being cleared of killing homosexual Kevin Muhyiddin.

Mr Muhyiddin, 45, was murdered before being set alight in his plush apartment in February 1997. He was found kneeling against a bed with a knife in his back and a broken neck.

The trial also heard how he had met Mr Muhyiddin and a pal just a few hours before his death. The three returned to Mr Muhyiddin's flat and Shillibier attacked him after they had sex. His pal said Shillibier emerged from Mr Muhyiddin's room to announce: "I have killed him."

But Shillibier, who claimed he had been 40 miles away in Weston-superMare, "high on drugs", was cleared. Just five months later, back in his home town of Bridg e n d , South Wales, Rebecca Storrs became his victim. He lured her from a party at a mutual pal's house to his favourite courting spot behind a cash and carry store where it is thought she spurned his sexual advances.

Her mutilated body was found in a river seven hours later. She was smashed over the head with a hammer and suffered a horrific sex attack.

Shillibier was quizzed by police three days later but released on bail. He later confessed to a pal: "I killed her. She was still breathing when I left her. I don't know why. I gutted her like a fish." But he was convicted after forensic experts found cigarette butts in his car that had been smoked by Rebecca and mud from the riverbank matched that on seat covers.

Jailing him for a minimum of 22 years at Cardiff Crown Court, Judge Mr Justice Aikens told him: "The jury have convicted you of a barbaric and evil murder."

It is thought Melanie's parents Stephen, 65, and Pat, 64, have been made aware of Shillibier's possible connection to their daughter's death.

She was last seen in January 1996 at the end of a night out at a Bath nightclub with her boyfriend of a few weeks, Phillip Kurlbaum, now 46. He was ruled out as a suspect.

Devastated Mrs Hall told a press conference on the day Melanie's remains were found this week: "Thirteen years ago, we had a vibrant young daughter. Today, we have a bag of bones."

A man arrested in Greater Manchester in connection with the inquiry is to be charged with wasting police time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8304594.stm

Detectives investigating the murder of a Wiltshire woman have revealed she had suffered "blunt force" injuries to her head.

A post-mortem examination revealed Melanie Hall, 25, had a fractured skull and injuries to her cheekbone and jaw.
    Ms Hall, from Bradford Leigh, went missing from a Bath nightclub in 1996. Her bones were found in bin bags by the side of the M5 near Bristol last week.

Police said the bags had been tied with a long length of blue plastic rope.

Her remains were discovered near Thornbury in South Gloucestershire.

Speaking at the scene, Det Supt Mike Courtiour, from Avon and Somerset Police, said: "The Home Office pathologist cannot give a definite cause of death at this time.

"We can say that Melanie suffered blunt force trauma to her head.

"She had significant injuries which consisted of a fractured skull, a fractured cheekbone and fractured jawbone."

Det Supt Courtiour speculated Ms Hall's body may have been left at the scene shortly after her death.

He added: "Her body was covered and partially wrapped in black bin bags.

"These bin bags were in fact tied up with a blue rope. This thin blue rope was wrapped around her body and tied up."

He appealed for anyone who may recognise the 4mm polypropylene rope, or had any further information to contact police.

He said: "Is this the clue that people need?"

Investigations at the scene are ongoing, and the rope is being studied by forensics experts.

Det Supt Courtiour said police were "actively pursuing a number of lines of inquiry".

Investigating officers have received more than 100 calls since the discovery of Ms Hall's body on 5 October.

Despite a £10,000 reward offered for information, and her disappearance being featured on a Crimestoppers special programme, no trace of the Royal United Hospital clerical worker had been found prior to the discovery of her bones.

In March 2003 two men from the Bath area were arrested, questioned and released on police bail, but no charges were brought.

Ms Hall was last seen sitting on a stool at the edge of the dance floor at Cadillacs nightclub in Walcott Street.

Witnesses said she had argued with her surgeon boyfriend, Dr Philip Karlbaum, who left the club "upset" after seeing her dancing with another man.

Anyone with information is asked to ring the murder incident room on 0117 9455811 or call Crimestoppers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10478248.stm

Police investigating the disappearance and murder of Bath woman Melanie Hall have arrested a 38-year-old man.

He is being held at a police station and will be interviewed in connection with the 25-year-old's murder and the disposal of her body.

Miss Hall went missing in June 1996 and her remains were found near the M5 last October.

The man, from Bath, was arrested after going voluntarily to Manvers Street police station.

Miss Hall vanished 14 years ago while on a night out with friends at Cadillacs nightclub in Walcot Street, Bath.

The psychology graduate from Bradford-on-Avon worked as a clerical officer in the orthopaedic department at the Royal United Hospital in Bath.

Her remains were found by a workman clearing the side of the M5 in South Gloucestershire on 5 October 2009.

Det Supt Mike Courtiour said: "This is obviously a significant development after 14 years but I must stress that our investigation is still very much ongoing.

"Melanie's parents, Pat and Steve Hall, are always kept informed and are aware that we have made an arrest."

I'm so happy for her family to finally have answers after all this time.

I believe, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, double jeopardy only applies if the person has been tried, not just charged.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=22697.msg1659614#msg1659614 date=1278010022]

I believe, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, double jeopardy only applies if the person has been tried, not just charged.
    [/quote]

Someone said earlier in this thread that the UK did away with double jeopardy laws some years back.
    Lurker checking in.

[quote author=YayMe link=topic=22697.msg1659680#msg1659680 date=1278017028]
    Someone said earlier in this thread that the UK did away with double jeopardy laws some years back.
    [/quote]

Right, I did see that. I was speaking of the US.  :-) (Who should also do away with the double jeopardy law.)
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hite-golf.html

Saturday, May 17th 2014 9PM
    Police investigating the murder of nightclubber Melanie Hall who was brutally murdered 17 years ago, have received new leads after an appeal. Detectives from Avon and Somerset police have been contacted by members of the public after a BBC Crimewatch appeal aired last night. It came after police released a photo of a white VW Golf GTi hardtop that disappeared from official records shortly after Melanie vanished.

Melanie, then 25, disappeared on a night out in Bath, Somerset, in June 1996. Her remains, dumped beside a slip road on the M5, were not found until 13 years later. The hospital worker had been battered around the head and her body was wrapped in black bin bags and bound with blue rope. The vehicle - registration C752 CYE - was last known to be registered on August 7, 1996. Police say they do not know what happened to it since - and are appealing for anyone with information about it.

They are particularly interested in sightings around the Bath area at the time Melanie disappeared. They also say the car was linked to the Pentwyn area of Cardiff around the time. Detective Superintendent Mike Courtiour, leading the inquiry, said: 'We had a reasonable number of calls that are of interest to us and which warrant further investigation. 'We are still keen to reach as many people as possible who may have information about the white VW Golf GTi between April and August 1996, particularly people from the Pentwyn area of Cardiff.

Last November a 44-year-old man from Bath was arrested and questioned for two days before being released on police bail pending further inquiries. Detectives also searched a property on an estate in the city. He was the fourth suspect to be questioned about Miss Hall’s murder since her remains were discovered. At the time, her father Steve, who lives near Bradford-upon-Avon, Wiltshire, said the development was 'progress'. He said: 'We are hopeful that progress is being made. It is a long and painful process 17 years down the line. 'This would appear to be connected to the appeal we made at the beginning of October, which is great. We are keeping our minds open on these things. ‘The police are keeping us informed and we are hopeful. It is not the first time someone has been arrested in connection with her death but we are remaining positive.’

Miss Hall, who worked in a hospital, was last seen in June 1996 after apparently arguing with her doctor boyfriend in a nightclub. Despite a huge police operation, no trace of her was found until 2009 when a workman found parts of her skeleton hidden in plastic bags. He was clearing undergrowth just a few yards off the northbound slip road at junction 14 of the M5 near Thornbury, Gloucestershire, when he found the remains. The find was almost 30 miles from where the psychology graduate was last seen in Cadillac’s nightclub. Five bin-liners contained or covered her remains, including arm and leg bones and her pelvis and skull. Other parts of her skeleton were found partially buried nearby. In the four years since Melanie's discovery, her parents and sister Dominique have issued repeated appeals for members of the public to help police with their inquiries.

Didn't one guy turn himself in? Or maybe 2 guys? What ever came of that?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information