Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Englebrecht (27) was found in a shallow grave, wrapped in a blanket

Dustin Englebrecht (27) was found in a shallow grave, wrapped in a blanket

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2009/09/13/Dustin_Englebrecht_%2827%29_was_found_in_a_shallow _grave,_wrapped_in_a_blanket,_on_the_family_farm__ He_had_been__missing_for_a_week_

I can't believe no one searched that close right away.
    Another article thats longer
    http://www.pjstar.com/news/x2025184564/Body-confirmed-as-that-of-missing-Mason-City-man

Anger replaces agony for family of slain man
    Loading multimedia...

By KEVIN SAMPIER
    Journal Star
    Posted Sep 08, 2009 @ 05:55 PM
    Last update Sep 08, 2009 @ 10:25 PM
    MASON CITY —

The agony of not knowing what happened to Dustin Englebrecht is over for his family. But it has been replaced with frustration and anger by the fact he had been wrapped in a plastic tarp and buried in a shallow grave on his own property, just a few yards from where search efforts began.

Randy Englebrecht, was mowing the lawn Monday evening at his son's rural Mason City home when his brother-in-law, Rick Kalb, came by to help search the property for any signs of Dustin, who had been missing since Aug. 28.

That search quickly led the two men to a grave no more than two feet deep in a soybean field. Englebrecht mentioned several aspects of his son's disappearance, including the fact that some hay was missing from a barn on the property.

Kalb noticed a spot of ground in the field with hay scattered over it. He began to move the hay aside and then saw a depression in the dirt, as if it had been recently dug and then settled.

Kalb began to dig.

"He said, 'I've got a bad feeling,' " said Englebrecht. "He found a cell phone and a plastic bag. I said, 'It can't be him. It can't be him.' He tore the bag open a little bit and saw his leg.

"I didn't see it. I broke down," Englebrecht said.

Choked with emotion, Englebrecht recounted the brief, 15-minute search that ended 11 days of searching for his missing son.

"He's a hero. He brought closure to us. If Rick never went there, we would never have found him."

Kalb said a gut feeling guided his search.

"I'm not a hero. I was just trying to find my nephew," he said.

Kalb describes making the discovery:

"I found his cell phone first. The more I dug, I found a tarp. Then I felt something hard," he said. "It wasn't a pretty sight. I told Randy he better call 911.

"I'm just thankful for God giving me the instinct to go out there and look. I'm just glad I found him. I didn't want to find him like that."

Mason County Coroner Mike Hurley said an autopsy performed Tuesday afternoon in Peoria determined the body was the 27-year-old man's, confirming what family members already suspected since the discovery Monday evening.

Hurley declined to say what was found during the autopsy, including whether there were any obvious signs of trauma such as knife or gunshot wounds.

The Mason County Sheriff's Department has deemed the death a homicide.

Messages left throughout the day Tuesday for Sheriff Wayne Youell were not returned, and it remained unclear if police have any suspects or plan to make an arrest.

For Randy Englebrecht, the not knowing is over, and at the same time, it has begun all over again.

"My son was murdered. I know that for a fact," he said. "I hope they find who did this."

Olivia

Re: Dustin Englebrecht (27) was found in a shallow grave, wrapped in a blanket

Imagine finding your own son.  That is so terrible

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=22303.msg1386699#msg1386699 date=1252893541]
    Imagine finding your own son.  That is so terrible
    [/quote]

That is why I wished they had found him right away. How horrible to be the one to find your own child. I wonder why he was buried with his cell phone and why bury him at all if you were going it so close to where he lived?

If you look at his pictures on myspace, there is a pic of his g/f with cropped fields behind her.  I wonder if this is where he was found.  It was kinda weird to look at.
    And how the hell does the local authorities not find him?  It said he was only 2 feet inside the field with hay covering fresh turned dirt. 

Olivia

[quote author=libraryk link=topic=22303.msg1386703#msg1386703 date=1252893687]
    That is why I wished they had found him right away. How horrible to be the one to find your own child. I wonder why he was buried with his cell phone and why bury him at all if you were going it so close to where he lived?
    [/quote]

It reminds me of another missing person Jeffrey Ben who was also found by his family.

[s]Trying to find an article[/s]

CLAYTON, Okla. The mother of a missing southeastern Oklahoma teenager says investigators may have found her sons remains after more than five years.

Linda Miller says the remains may be those of her son Jeffrey Ben of Clayton in Pushmataha County.

Ben was last seen in January 2001 driving his father's truck. The truck was found crashed in a ditch but there was no sign of Ben.

Now Miller says remains have been found in the area and testing will determine if they are those of Ben.

I hope they find who did this faster than they found him! I feel terrible for Stephanie and Zeke. I read that Zeke was like his little shadow, and it was like they were attached at the hip.
    Even though Zeke is only nine, he assisted in the search, and passed out flyers.
    Dustin seemed to have a lot of good friends, and they all cared about him very much.

RIP Dustin.  

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=22303.msg1386716#msg1386716 date=1252894354]
    It reminds me of another missing person Jeffrey Ben who was also found by his family.

[s]Trying to find an article[/s]

CLAYTON, Okla. The mother of a missing southeastern Oklahoma teenager says investigators may have found her sons remains after more than five years.

Linda Miller says the remains may be those of her son Jeffrey Ben of Clayton in Pushmataha County.

Ben was last seen in January 2001 driving his father's truck. The truck was found crashed in a ditch but there was no sign of Ben.

Now Miller says remains have been found in the area and testing will determine if they are those of Ben.
    [/quote]

UGH!  How does it happen?  I admit I have never had anyone close to me who was a missing persons nor have I ever been involved in any kind of search, but how do you overlook something so close? 

Olivia

[quote author=berryblu link=topic=22303.msg1386727#msg1386727 date=1252894802]
    UGH!  How does it happen?  I admit I have never had anyone close to me who was a missing persons nor have I ever been involved in any kind of search, but how do you overlook something so close? 
    [/quote]

I can't find a working article because it was a few years ago but I believe in Jeffrey Ben's case, he wasn't as close to home as Dustin.  He was up in some mountains.  I guess I can kinda understand why they didn't search close to home - really, who murders someone and buries them on their own property?

I wonder if it could have been a family member?

:-(

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=22303.msg1386735#msg1386735 date=1252895138]
    I can't find a working article because it was a few years ago but I believe in Jeffrey Ben's case, he wasn't as close to home as Dustin.  He was up in some mountains.  I guess I can kinda understand why they didn't search close to home - really, who murders someone and buries them on their own property?

I wonder if it could have been a family member?
    [/quote]

That was my first thought. I was thinking that someone non family digging on the land would have been odd, but I don't know the layout of the land in question. Then again I am thinking it would have been odd for even a family member to be carrying a large bag around and then digging. So perhaps whomever did this, killed him and then buried him at night possibly after an initial search of the land.

Olivia

[quote author=Deviant Toaster link=topic=22303.msg1386760#msg1386760 date=1252897034]
    That was my first thought. I was thinking that someone non family digging on the land would have been odd, but I don't know the layout of the land in question. Then again I am thinking it would have been odd for even a family member to be carrying a large bag around and then digging. So perhaps whomever did this, killed him and then buried him at night possibly after an initial search of the land.
    [/quote]

I also find it odd that in every article I have read about this guy, they keep saying that his death is 'possibly' being investigated as homicide.  Possibly?  I dont think he wrapped himself in a tarp and then covered himself with hay?

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=22303.msg1386771#msg1386771 date=1252897873]
    I also find it odd that in every article I have read about this guy, they keep saying that his death is 'possibly' being investigated as homicide.  Possibly?  I dont think he wrapped himself in a tarp and then covered himself with hay?
    [/quote]Sometimes their wording doesn't make sense. Maybe that is the most thought out suicide in history.

[/quote]

If this was Cris Angel I could almost by it, except it would have been in the middle of a busy street. I wonder if they say things like  'possibly' so that they don't back themselves into any corners later or run off suspects.

How terrible. It must have been someone who knew him if they were able to do this on family property...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

lots of comments here

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/mapleton-il/T14B2NH15EFIKA6DR/p4

Thanks for the link, snowfall.
    Reading the comments, I see his girlfriend posted there before he was found. :-(
    Another thing that was being discussed was a 14 yr old unsolved case in the same area.  :x
    This pisses me off on so many levels. My recent experience with a home invasion has made me lose faith in LE. My husband was almost killed, and all of our children were home. No arrest was made for MONTHS-and I was able to identify the fucktards. Then all that hapened was ONE guy being charged with a misdemeanor assault. My family lost everything, and the cops dropped the ball. 

I hope this family gets justice. This makes me beyond angry. I hope Stephanie and Zeke have some real kind of protection at this point, and don't have to depend on some Mayberry team of dumbasses.

RIP Dustin.   

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=22303.msg1389681#msg1389681 date=1253124031]
    Thanks for the link, snowfall.
    Reading the comments, I see his girlfriend posted there before he was found. :-(
    Another thing that was being discussed was a 14 yr old unsolved case in the same area.  :x
    This pisses me off on so many levels. My recent experience with a home invasion has made me lose faith in LE. My husband was almost killed, and all of our children were home. No arrest was made for MONTHS-and I was able to identify the fucktards. Then all that hapened was ONE guy being charged with a misdemeanor assault. My family lost everything, and the cops dropped the ball. 

I hope this family gets justice. This makes me beyond angry. I hope Stephanie and Zeke have some real kind of protection at this point, and don't have to depend on some Mayberry team of dumbasses.

RIP Dustin.   
    [/quote]

Oh God, that must have been absolutely terrifying for all of you. Really sorry to hear that.

How sad he was planning to marry his fiance on Aug 25th but he broke his femur in dirt bike accedent and they had to postpone it until they could afford it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CniJJUegqg&feature=video_response
    Саша VIIXIVMMIX

[/quote]

Yea LE sometimes does that tiptoeing with their wording like with the Annie Le case for example.  When she first dissapeared they hesitated to say that her missing was suspicious basically hinting that she could be another runaway bride.  Only problem with that stupid ass theory is that she left her purse, cell phone, etc in her office when she went missing.  Most likely they do it to cover their own asses in the case of something abnormal occuring.

They word it like that just in case it was an accident. Say he died and someone went into panic mode and hid the body? They want to make sure they really know.

So sad, he looked like a good dude that had lots of good friends. This is like the kind of people that come out to see my band, I could totally hang out with this dude.

I really hope they find the killer. Why would someone murder someone like this?

Poor son, that's a tough age to lose a father. 

I wonder if this is the barn?

http://www.pjstar.com/news_police/x1800826348/No-suspects-in-Mason-City-death

Police say they have no suspects in the death of a Mason City man but aren't ruling out a connection with the slaying of a family of five in Logan County.
    "We're taking it one slow step at a time," Mason County Sheriff Wayne Youell said on Thursday about the killing of Dustin Englebrecht, 27, who was found buried in a shallow grave Sept. 7 on his rural Mason City property.
    Englebrecht had been missing since Aug. 28, and family, friends and strangers mounted a massive search effort across three counties to find him.
    His body was discovered by his father and uncle a short distance from where blood splatters were found near a barn.
    Youell said police are conducting "a careful investigation," into Englebrecht's death, which they are considering a homicide.
    Youell also said the Sheriff's Department has volunteered an investigator to assist in the murder case of the Raymond Gee family in the Logan County town of Beason.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/24/illinois.family.deaths/
    All five members of a family found slain inside a Beason, Illinois, home early this week were beaten to death, police said Thursday.
    Police officers stand patrol outside the Gee household late Monday evening.
    A pathologist determined that the five -- Raymond Gee, 46; Ruth Gee, 39; and three children -- had been beaten, Logan County Sheriff Steve Nichols told reporters. "All the injuries at the scene were from blunt-force trauma.
    The three children were identified as Justina Constant, 16, Dillen Constant, 14, and Austin Gee, 11.
    A 3-year-old girl remained in critical but stable condition Thursday at a hospital, Nichols said.
    He said he would not divulge or speculate what the family was beaten with, and remained tight-lipped about many aspects of the deaths, including when authorities believe they occurred.
    Beason is in central Illinois, about 45 miles northeast of Springfield, the state capital.
    A task force has been formed with officers from several different agencies to investigate the homicides, the sheriff said. Processing of the crime scene concluded Wednesday afternoon, and "hundreds of seized items" are being processed, he said. "Forensic evidence in this case is significant."
    The sheriff has said authorities received a 911 call about a possible shooting at the home shortly before 4:30 p.m. Monday.
    Nichols said authorities are looking for a gray-primer-painted pickup truck that was seen in the area Sunday night. "We'll take any tip that anybody has," he said.Gee, 46, Ruth Gee, 39, Austin Gee, 11, Justina Constant, 16, and Dillen Constant, 14, were all found slain in their home Monday.
    A 3-year-old girl, the only survivor of the massacre, was airlifted to OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria.
    Youell said an investigator with the Sheriff's Department is working on a limited basis in Beason with other law enforcement agencies, which include the FBI and Illinois State Police.
    "We're not ruling anything out," he said of any possible connection between Englebrecht's death and the killing of the family. "We're looking at all the leads. We're looking at all possibilities."

That makes it sound like they think he was one of the assailants (if not thee only one) or may have known who did it. At least to me.
    Bwahahahaha !!!

It didn't think he was involved at all. Maybe someone he and the family were dealing with either friend or job related became violent. They could have killed the family and killed him when he wouldn't help. I still stick with crazies or druggies. Not alot of thought was placed into hiding the bodies in either case. It could also have simply been a robbery spree.

Thread Information