Thread: My Grandmother - Almedia Carolyn Floyd

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar

My Grandmother - Almedia Carolyn Floyd

I'm not sure if anyone here has any superb investigatory skills but this is an old one.  My Grandmother disappeared shortly after my mother graduated high school.  I can get the dates but this is what I do know.  She divorced my grandfather and married a gentleman with the last name of Melcher.  She was in and out of my mothers life all through highschool but always showed up for important dates.  After my mother graduated, she left and was never seen again.  My uncle, a police officer was able to track her to Florida but was never able to find her.  As you can imagine, this has left a huge hole in my mother's heart.  My mother is in her sixties and although we are well aware that my grandmother is most likely dead, we would like to know where she's buried so we can move her to where she belongs.  I have a few pictures of her I can post.  Due to her being born in 1922, I do not know if she ever had a social security number.  We do believe she had a license but are not sure from which state and with which name.  Her maiden name is Carolyn Almedia Flood, her married name was Floyd and later Melcher.  Please let me know if you have any ideas on how I can pursue this.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Re: My Grandmother - Almedia Carolyn Floyd

My investigative skills suck, but I will try anyway!

Do you have a time/place of birth?  That might help us.

Believe it or not, my Mormon upbringing might come in handy here.  Mormons spend tons of time researching their family trees so they can baptize their dead family members into the church.  There is an extensive database I have access to (everyone does) called ancestry.com.  There is another at geneaology.org.

http://www.ancestry.com/?o_xid=21860&o_lid=21860

http://www.genealogy.org/

ETA (Accidentally pressed save instead of preview... oops!):

Marriage records/certificates might help, too if you have them. Do you have any kind of documentation?  Even your Mom's birth certificate might be linked to your grandmothers' info on one of these websites.  It's a big *if* but you never know!!!

the color nine

CAROLYN W MELCHER 15 May 1914 27 Jun 2009 (V) 43450 (Pemberville, Wood, OH) ?

Never mind you said she was born in the late twenties. 

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=22064.msg1377211#msg1377211 date=1251905800]
    CAROLYN W MELCHER 15 May 1914 27 Jun 2009 (V) 43450 (Pemberville, Wood, OH) ?
    [/quote]

Not her.  Carolyn A. and she was born in August.  I have her marriage certificate at home and can comment with dob but she was born in KY.  Here's a picture.

Oh and just to make things more confusing.  We aren't sure if her name is Carolyn Almedia or Almedia Carolyn.  Apparently, down south first and middle are interchangeable.  She signed both at different times during her life.  Her marriage certificate states Carolyn Almedia though.

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=22064.msg1377214#msg1377214 date=1251906014]
    Not her.  Carolyn A. and she was born in August.  I have her marriage certificate at home and can comment with dob but she was born in KY.  Here's a picture.

[/quote]

She is so pretty!

A search at ancestry.com posted these photos when I searched for Carolyn Flood:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1& so=3&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=ms_f-2&gsfn=Carolyn+Almedia&gsln=Flood

Do any of those people look familiar to you?

OMG it's her!!! The photo you posted is on that page!!

[quote author=winters_footsteps link=topic=22064.msg1377217#msg1377217 date=1251906265]
    She is so pretty!

A search at ancestry.com posted these photos when I searched for Carolyn Flood:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1& so=3&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=ms_f-2&gsfn=Carolyn+Almedia&gsln=Flood

Do any of those people look familiar to you?

OMG it's her!!! The photo you posted is on that page!!
    [/quote]

Why yes, that would be from my mother's family tree on Ancestry.  There are tons of photo's on there.  My mom is the little girl with curls in most of the pictures.

Wow, that was fast.

[quote author=ICDEDPPL link=topic=22064.msg1377223#msg1377223 date=1251906680]
    Wow, that was fast.
    [/quote]

What was fast?  We still didn't find out what happened to her.  My mother has pictures of her on ancestry that's what we've been able to establish.

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=22064.msg1377225#msg1377225 date=1251906750]
    What was fast?  We still didn't find out what happened to her.  My mother has pictures of her on ancestry that's what we've been able to establish.
    [/quote]

Exactly... and since your Mom already has an account on ancestry.com (and I can't afford one) I am going to assume she has searched every single possible lead there. 

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=22064.msg1377225#msg1377225 date=1251906750]
    [/quote]Oops. Sorry. I? had started to post and got distracted. I didn't see that they were from your Mother's account.

[quote author=winters_footsteps link=topic=22064.msg1377228#msg1377228 date=1251907123]
    Exactly... and since your Mom already has an account on ancestry.com (and I can't afford one) I am going to assume she has searched every single possible lead there. 
    [/quote]

Yes, we almost called unsolved mysteries years ago but chickened out.

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=22064.msg1377239#msg1377239 date=1251907948]
    [/quote]

I loved that show!

When I was little it gave me nightmares, though.  Especially their segments on Aliens.  :lol:

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=22064.msg1377239#msg1377239 date=1251907948]
    [/quote]

Have you thought of looking for a private individual who does find for people who where adopted and such.  They might be able to lead you in a direction.
    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

[quote author=LostSouls link=topic=22064.msg1377246#msg1377246 date=1251908352]
    Have you thought of looking for a private individual who does find for people who where adopted and such.  They might be able to lead you in a direction.

[/quote]

Yes we've looked but they are expensive and neither my mother nor myself have a lot of money to spend on a search.

marking my spot so that if I have time I will help you look for your grandmother.

I sent an email to one of my cousins who is really into the whole family tree thing...

She is really good at finding information that might help!

When I hear back from her (if I hear back from her... she hasn't really talked to me much after I stopped attending church) I will let you know and give you any info she has to share.

Date of Birth is August 16th, 1922.  Confirmed name is Almedia Carolyn.

This is the closest match I could find...
    Name: Carolyn Skelley
    SSN: 253-28-2849 
    Last Residence: 75230  Dallas, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
    Born: 16 Aug 1922
    Last Benefit: 75230  Dallas, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
    Died: Dec 1981
    State (Year) SSN issued: Georgia (Before 1951)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I figured I'd fill you guys in a little more on the story as my mother has told me.  My grandmother was very close to her two sisters, Lavinia and Lucille.  Lavinia died of tuberculosis in 1948 at 30 years old.   Both remaining sisters were devastated at the loss of the third musketeer. Lucille and my grandmother grew closer to each other.  They were truly inseparable.  Lucille was best friends with my grandfather prior to him marrying her Almedia.  Shortly after my aunt (mother's sister) was born, Lucille and my grandmother had a falling out.  Rumor has it that it was over my grandfather but we have no hard evidence of this since all involved are now dead.  My grandmother took off with a truck driver with the last name of Melcher.  My mother remembers that she married him.  She would disappear and then show up for special occasions.  She came to my mother's high school graduation and stuck around for a few weeks.  Long enough to meet my mother's fiance.  Then she took off again.  This time she never came back.  My Uncle Ken (Lucille's husband) was a police officer.  He tried to find her.  Lucille needed her, she developed an alcohol addiction and was deteriorating.  Ken died suddenly in February of 1974 leaving Lucille alone.  As you can imagine, she didn't fare too well.  She died in May of the same year.  My grandmother didn't show up for either funeral.  My mother believes that she died shortly after she left the last time.  She can't imagine any other reason for her not to come back.  To this day, my mother continues to wonder what happened to her?  I think it's the not knowing that tears her apart.  She tells me all the time that I look like my grandmother but I've never met her.  Two years ago, my grandfather passed away.  I think my mother secretly believed he had more information then he would say but even going through his things didn't give her any leads.  Whatever he knew, he took to the grave.  This may not be a solvable case.  I just have to try, not only for my mother but for myself.

Emmy:

There were 5 women who had SSNs named Almedia who were born in 1922.   One whose SSN was issued in KY.  Her last name was Malish (could sound like Melcher or be remembered as Melcher).

Name:  ALMEDIA MALISH
    DOB:  04 Feb 1922
    DOD:  03 Jun 2005 (V)
    Last Residence: 40143 (Hardinsburg, Breckinridge, KY)
    SSN:404-12-4807
    Issued:  Kentucky

You can order a copy any deceased person's application for a SS card for under ~$30 online here:  https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWeb/internet/main.jsp

I will keep her name in my mind when wandering on Ancestry.  I found my husband's grandparents information on a census form and he knew little to no information.  

I know it most likely isn't any info that is useful to you but I just couldn't not post it - just in case.

ETA:  I did find your great-grandparents (Samuel & Hallie Flood) along with your grandmother, LaVenia and Lucille in the 1930 census in Louisville KY.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Thread Information