Thread: Pakistan reality TV contestant drowns in challenge

Pakistan reality TV contestant drowns in challenge

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090830/ap_en_tv/as_pakistan_reality_contestant_death

ISLAMABAD – A contestant on a Pakistani reality TV show drowned while performing a challenge for the program, a spokeswoman for the show's sponsor said Sunday.

Pakistani contestant Saad Khan, 32, was swimming across a lake while wearing a 15-pound (7-kilogram) backpack when he called out for help and then disappeared underwater, according to Fareshte Aslam, information officer for Unilever Pakistan, the show's sponsor.

Horrified co-contestants and crew rushed to try to save him but could not find him in the murky waters of the lake in the Thai capital of Bangkok, where the show was being filmed, according to Aslam, who was recounting reports of those on the scene.

Divers later recovered the body of Khan, she said.

The death came during filming of the show's 10th episode on Aug. 19, but it was not publicized until Khan's body was returned home to the southern Pakistani city of Karachi.

Thai police were investigating to determine whether the death was an accident or caused by negligence, Bangkok's Kom Chad Luek newspaper reported earlier this month. Police could not be contacted Sunday to say if the investigation had been completed.

Unilever Pakistan accepts no liability for Khan's death, Aslam said, but added that the company is in discussions to provide for Khan's wife and four children "out of rightness."

A close friend of Khan's, Babar Jumani, said by telephone that the family was not ready to talk to the media, and he declined to comment further.

Khan had already been eliminated in the as-yet-unnamed show's previous rounds, but had returned for a special challenge to earn a spot in the finals.

Plans to air the reality show — intended as a promotional tie for Unilever's Clear shampoo — were on hold. Aslam said Unilever Pakistan, a division of the multinational soap and cosmetics maker, was not involved in the production of the show, which was handled by a director and crew from the Indian entertainment capital of Mumbai.

Reality television shows often subject contenders to harsh physical challenges.

In May, a contestant of the Bulgarian version of "Survivor" died of a heart attack while filming on an island in the Philippines. Noncho Vodenicharov, 53, collapsed after finishing an unspecified activity for the contest, Philippine police said.

.................................................. ................

Thats a lot of excess weight to be carrying while swimming.

Re: Pakistan reality TV contestant drowns in challenge

well it was bound to happen.  has anyone else died on a reality show.  i know people have come close but not actual death.  is this the first.  i knew it would happen someday.

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=22022.msg1374485#msg1374485 date=1251658000]
    well it was bound to happen.  has anyone else died on a reality show.  i know people have come close but not actual death.  is this the first.  i knew it would happen someday.
    [/quote]

I will check now about anymore...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/23/britain.reality/index.html  found dead

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2008/05/07/reality-tv-tragedies-seven-deaths-in-13-years-115875-20409140/  

I dont really see anything. I am not sure if they were filming(in the first link I provided) when she went missing. I just skimmed it.

Seriously, what the fuck did they think was going to happen!?  It's basic physics. Next time, maybe they should just get contestants to row across the lake in a cement canoe. 

Thai police were investigating to determine whether the death was an accident or caused by negligence
    I'm pretty sure making a man swim across a murky lake with a 7 kilogram backpack and then somehow failing to render assistance in time as he drowns on camera constitutes negligence on behalf of the show. I just can't see how it was possible that they didn't get there in time to save him or why there was no safety precautions in place in the event of something like this (obviously) happening.

[quote author=trepid link=topic=22022.msg1374621#msg1374621 date=1251663654]
    Seriously, what the fuck did they think was going to happen!?  It's basic physics. Next time, maybe they should just get contestants to row across the lake in a cement canoe.  

[/quote]

http://content.asce.org/conferences/nccc2009/photos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=22022.msg1374700#msg1374700 date=1251666808]

http://content.asce.org/conferences/nccc2009/photos.html
    [/quote]

good call.

Wouldn't they have had a safety release thing for the backpack in case they started to go under? that probably would have been the smartest route to go..

RIP
    ask me questions damnit<br />http://www.formspring.me/bama

[quote author=Bama Star link=topic=22022.msg1375082#msg1375082 date=1251708413]
    Wouldn't they have had a safety release thing for the backpack in case they started to go under? that probably would have been the smartest route to go..

[/quote]

You would of thought so - that is if they had even bothered to think about these sort of vital things ... which they clearly didn't.

They could of atleast had some small floating device attached to the person so in the likely event that they sunk like a sack of bricks, they would at least known where to find him in the murky, murky river.

Unilever Pakistan accepts no liability for Khan's death, Aslam said, but added that the company is in discussions to provide for Khan's wife and four children &quot;out of rightness.&quot;
    Oh I'm sure that is the reason ... I'm pretty sure that translates to something like &quot;we were clearly negligent in our operations and please don't sue us in a lengthy court battle aired in the public arena&quot;.

Lifeguards show up 10-12 mins after drowning https://www.thenational.ae/world/asi...-show-1.505602

Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    Lifeguards show up 10-12 mins after drowning https://www.thenational.ae/world/asi...-show-1.505602
    This is an eye opening article. Not surprised there weren't safety measures in place - the rest of the world isn't as litigious or safety conscious as the US. He had a wife and four children, really sad.

LAHORE // Hours before he died, Saad Khan, 32, was chatting with friends on Facebook from his hotel room in Bangkok in between getting the place ready for his wife who was arriving that evening from Pakistan. He was excited, say friends, about his re-entry into a reality television show being sponsored by Unilever, the largest manufacturer of consumer products in Pakistan. The show, in fact, was being shot as part of a promotional campaign for Clear shampoo, with the winner being crowned "Clear Man". "Saad had modelled in the past and was really looking forward to being a part of this show," said Babar Jumani, a close friend and colleague. "He had always been interested in fashion and television." Khan, a father of four children, had a lot going for him, says Mr Jumani. "He was a totally self-made man who had risen from the bottom up and had managed to make it to the top of one of Pakistan's largest banks," he said. "He was doing great in his career, and had a lovely wife and four children." Only a few days into the show, Khan, who has been described by other contestants as the "life of the show" and "the person most likely to win the title", was eliminated. According to the anonymous blog account of one contestant, Khan was eliminated during a challenge in the fourth round in which he had to get a ball into an elevated basket while standing on a block of ice. Khan, the contestants were told, would be leaving in two days. But the show organisers, instead of sending Khan home, moved him to another hotel room and kept his presence hidden from the other contestants, before reintroducing him to the show a few days later. "On the 19th we were preparing for the other task on the set of the show, when we suddenly saw a tall figure coming towards us smiling," the contestant writes. "It was Saad bhai. We hooted and danced in excitement. Finally we got to meet him again, it was a big and a pleasant surprise for all of us. He was the life of the whole show; we had missed him a lot." The first challenge Khan was given upon his return entailed hoisting a 7kg bag on his shoulders and running through fire, swimming across a pond and then climbing a rope. According to Fareshteh Gaitee Aslam, information officer for Unilever Pakistan, "Saad was swimming across a lake when he called out for help and then disappeared underwater". While Unilever says fellow contestants and crew rushed to save Khan, but could not find him in the muddy waters, several other versions of the story exist. Mr Jumani says despite the investigations of Khan's friends and family, no single and credible account had emerged so far. "Some say it was a lake, others say it was a shallow pond while still others say it was a reservoir," he said. "Some say there were lifejackets, others say divers were standing by while still others say there was nobody." Mr Jumani and Khan's family have asked Unilever to provide them with the footage that captures Khan's death but they have yet to receive it. When asked to explain the security arrangements at the site of the accident, Ms Aslam said security was not Unilever's responsibility. "We are a company which makes shampoos and soaps," she said. "We had signed a contract for an advertising company who were responsible for filming the show. The technical team for the show came from Bangkok while the film crew was flown in from India. Our contract with the advertising concern did emphasise that adequate security preparations should be made." A request put forth by The National to see the contract between Unilever and the advertising company, Mindshare, has yet to be fulfilled. Calls made to Mindshare were not returned. But an advertising insider who works at Mindshare revealed that security is never a major consideration when planning campaigns. "I am not surprised this happened because advertising companies never make security a priority," he said. "Stunts are now often made a part of ad campaigns but the precautions which should be taken when doing such difficult campaigns are usually lax." The contestant writing the blog gave an account of the accident that suggests the necessary precautions were not taken. "Saad cleared the first stage, which was running through fire; he jumped in the pond and swam ? When he reached the middle of the pond he suddenly turned and changed his style to backstroke, he looked troubled, we shouted and asked him to open his 7kg backpack, and he struggled to open it. While struggling he yelled for help and disappeared in the water. When there was no response from him, we dived in the pond to look for him, but couldn't find him as the water was very muddy, and I came out. We started screaming and crying for help but there was no help around. After around 10 minutes his back pack came up floating on the water. The lifeguards came 10 to 12 minutes after the incident occurred and recovered Saad bhai's body." Nael Ahmad, a model who once took part in an underwater shoot for a soft drink company, says there is a dearth of security standards in the advertising world. "It's very person-dependent," he said. "There are no safety standards that apply across the board. If the team leader is good, the safety will be good. If the team leader is not very particular, security can be compromised." The Lahore-based lawyer Sardar Qasim Farooq says one reason why companies are sometimes careless when it comes to safety is because in Pakistan there is no tradition of consumers holding corporations to account. "The law of torts has yet to become a part of our society, which means that the power of the consumer, or in this case the participants, has yet to be established," he said. Ms Aslam said Unilever will offer Khan's family some financial compensation but it was up to the family whether to reveal the amount. She also said this was being done out of a sense of "rightness", not legal obligation. Reality shows have only recently become a regular feature on Pakistan's television networks. A popular reality show on Geo television, Pakistan's largest private television network, follows the efforts of a foreigner trying to get Pakistani citizenship. Another popular show does matchmaking in front of a live audience. * The National
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information